Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#86050 May 23, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
My sister works in a psych ward as of a couple months ago. Unless they indicate they are suicidal, patients aren't watched 24/7 nor are things like shoelaces and blankets taken away. She said suicides are rare, because people feel like there's hope when you're finally getting help.
Sad, though, for all involved.
Yeah, it does seem like the experts involved were surprised by this. Plus, if you're not really on the brink of killing yourself, being treated like you ARE might be enough to push you over the edge.

Location hidden

#86051 May 23, 2013
And yesterday we had two kids die (fourth graders) on a field trip when there was a freak mud/rock/sand slide. One kid still hasn't been found.

It's been a very sad day around here.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#86052 May 23, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
My coworker's 27yo nephew committed suicide yesterday in a psych ward.:(
That's awful. It is hard to imagine teh despair that leads to that act.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#86053 May 23, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
In college, I checked myself into the psych ward for depression. There was *nothing* done to prevent me from hanging myself with my bedsheets.
Granted, that was 20 years ago, but I can't see the psych ward atmosphere changing that much.
That's also something my sister said: people in psych wards are juuuuust a little bit worse off than the average shmoe on the street. They're not raving lunatics smearing their own sh1t on the walls, they're just people at the end of their rope. Pun...not originally intended, but I'll leave it in there.:-/

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#86054 May 23, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
And yesterday we had two kids die (fourth graders) on a field trip when there was a freak mud/rock/sand slide. One kid still hasn't been found.

That just made me choke up. We are in the middle of the field trips at our school (each grade goes somewhere different, on a different day).

I don't think twice about signing the permission slips, but I still have friends who won't let their child go unless they are allowed to chaperone.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

#86055 May 23, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, it does seem like the experts involved were surprised by this. Plus, if you're not really on the brink of killing yourself, being treated like you ARE might be enough to push you over the edge.
I would have been horrified to have been treated like that when I was in for depression. It would have definitely made it worse.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#86056 May 23, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:

They just found the other boy's body :(

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

#86057 May 23, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
That just made me choke up. We are in the middle of the field trips at our school (each grade goes somewhere different, on a different day).
I don't think twice about signing the permission slips, but I still have friends who won't let their child go unless they are allowed to chaperone.
I heard, but didn't read, about that last night. And I totally agree that I would not even hesitate to let them go on a field trip; I want them to get all those fun experiences.

Lulu's class was supposed to go to the zoo yesterday, but with what happened in OK on Monday, I think everyone (both the zoo and the school) was just a little nervous about having the kids outside during bad weather, so the trip has been postponed.
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#86058 May 23, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
We are too. My kid has one Tuesday. I can't imagine not going if I couldn't go, though. That's a little helicopetery.

Location hidden

#86059 May 23, 2013
the dad of the boy they just found today is being amazing. About his kid's teacher: "She treats me like her own family." And he said this was just an accident, no one to blame.

Location hidden

#86060 May 23, 2013
NOt sure if anyone is into storm chasing, but friends of mine are (it's how they met) and they have a website, in case this is something you're interested in:

http://www.prairiewindchasers.com/

THey also teach classes and you can hire them, I think, to take you along with them and teach you stuff.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#86061 May 23, 2013
Wow, rough week to be a grade-schooler.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#86062 May 23, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
NOt sure if anyone is into storm chasing, but friends of mine are (it's how they met) and they have a website, in case this is something you're interested in:

http://www.prairiewindchasers.com/

THey also teach classes and you can hire them, I think, to take you along with them and teach you stuff.
Thank you! Ry wants to be a meteorologist when he grows up and he would love this site! His current favorite book is this http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/hurricane-and...

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#86063 May 23, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you! Ry wants to be a meteorologist when he grows up and he would love this site! His current favorite book is this http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/hurricane-and...
Every April TomSkilling , a Chicago meterologist, runs a 4 hour seminar on storms and weather . I went last year. It is not dumbed down but is very audience frindly. It is fascinating. You could twitter him and ask if they do something similar in your area.
Go to teh Chicago Tribune website, click on weather and look for teh Skilling forecast link. His twitter link is there.

Location hidden

#86064 May 23, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
Wow, rough week to be a grade-schooler.
Between those stories, and another one on the news last night, I've been a crying wreck as various people talk about these things.

Thanks to something I said, Mindy has enough life insurance on her 2yo that if anything happens to him, she doesn't have to work for a year. So if she's a drunken wreck sitting in the dark, her mortgage still gets paid.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#86065 May 23, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Haven't seen it. But it looks like a chick film not a date film which is why I used the example.
Yeah, i guess...only know that it is a book, that has never transferred to cinema, well....some say it is hard to connect with the lifestyles of the rich, in a time just prior to all the disaster of the Depression....interesting concept....

Location hidden

#86066 May 23, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
In college, I checked myself into the psych ward for depression. There was *nothing* done to prevent me from hanging myself with my bedsheets.
Granted, that was 20 years ago, but I can't see the psych ward atmosphere changing that much.
Probably depending on the different type clinics or approaches....I've seen Baker Act cases, where the police take people to a place, where they are met with thorozine injections, immediately, and suicide watch is the norm......

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#86067 May 23, 2013
But you're feeling much better now, aren't you!
:)
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Probably depending on the different type clinics or approaches....I've seen Baker Act cases, where the police take people to a place, where they are met with thorozine injections, immediately, and suicide watch is the norm......

Location hidden

#86068 May 23, 2013
RACE wrote:
But you're feeling much better now, aren't you!
:)
<quoted text>
Sure...i was the taker, not the takee...lol...

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#86069 May 23, 2013
Either I or his dad went with Chris on field trips, but not because we were helicopter-y. We just always ended getting pressed into service by the teachers.

Yeah one teacher after another grade after grade...pretty sure they talked to each other and said "make sure you lock down Chris' parents for field trips early, while they're still coming down from the back to school shopping bedlam or they will find a way of getting out of it." <shrug>

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min RealDave 1,129,451
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 5 min Cheftell 68,685
Abby 10-31 15 min loose cannon 8
Amy 10-31 24 min edogxxx 2
Abby 10-30 30 min edogxxx 22
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 53 min Religionthebiglie 50,787
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr STEFANO COLONNA 70,159
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 hr Learn to Read 179,685

High Wind Warning for Cook County was issued at October 31 at 9:05AM CDT

Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]