|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
My coworker's 27yo nephew committed suicide yesterday in a psych ward.:(
Very sad. I am surprised he did it in a psycho ward, though.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
Keeping coworker and family in my thoughts and prayers.
I hope he is now at peace and I hope that brings some comfort to those who loved him.
Apparently the shrinks there said he wasn't behaving/talking in a way that had them thinking he needed to be on a suicide watch, but people -- especially guys -- in their 20s with mental health issues can do impulsive things, just going moment to moment.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>I heard Gatsby sucked? Did you like it?
I also have heard that it sucked.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
Very sad. I am surprised he did it in a psycho ward, though.
Usually they have the correct fail-safes in force, to make suicide very difficult.....

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>Apparently the shrinks there said he wasn't behaving/talking in a way that had them thinking he needed to be on a suicide watch, but people -- especially guys -- in their 20s with mental health issues can do impulsive things, just going moment to moment.
You can't force help on those who aren't able or willing to accept it.

That is still heartbreaking, though.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently the shrinks there said he wasn't behaving/talking in a way that had them thinking he needed to be on a suicide watch, but people -- especially guys -- in their 20s with mental health issues can do impulsive things, just going moment to moment.
My sister works in a psych ward as of a couple months ago. Unless they indicate they are suicidal, patients aren't watched 24/7 nor are things like shoelaces and blankets taken away. She said suicides are rare, because people feel like there's hope when you're finally getting help.

Sad, though, for all involved.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Usually they have the correct fail-safes in force, to make suicide very difficult.....
In college, I checked myself into the psych ward for depression. There was *nothing* done to prevent me from hanging myself with my bedsheets.

Granted, that was 20 years ago, but I can't see the psych ward atmosphere changing that much.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>I heard Gatsby sucked? Did you like it?
Haven't seen it. But it looks like a chick film not a date film which is why I used the example.
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Usually they have the correct fail-safes in force, to make suicide very difficult.....
THat's what I said, but Red siad above that they said he wasn't acting in a way that made them think he was suicidal. Maybe it was an impulsive thing. I thought they took away shoelaces and anything dangerous. Nut maybe it just depends what section you're in. I am proud to say I've never stayed in a place like that. Yet.

It's very sad.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
My sister works in a psych ward as of a couple months ago. Unless they indicate they are suicidal, patients aren't watched 24/7 nor are things like shoelaces and blankets taken away. She said suicides are rare, because people feel like there's hope when you're finally getting help.
Sad, though, for all involved.
Yeah, it does seem like the experts involved were surprised by this. Plus, if you're not really on the brink of killing yourself, being treated like you ARE might be enough to push you over the edge.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

And yesterday we had two kids die (fourth graders) on a field trip when there was a freak mud/rock/sand slide. One kid still hasn't been found.

It's been a very sad day around here.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
My coworker's 27yo nephew committed suicide yesterday in a psych ward.:(
That's awful. It is hard to imagine teh despair that leads to that act.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
In college, I checked myself into the psych ward for depression. There was *nothing* done to prevent me from hanging myself with my bedsheets.
Granted, that was 20 years ago, but I can't see the psych ward atmosphere changing that much.
That's also something my sister said: people in psych wards are juuuuust a little bit worse off than the average shmoe on the street. They're not raving lunatics smearing their own sh1t on the walls, they're just people at the end of their rope. Pun...not originally intended, but I'll leave it in there.:-/

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
And yesterday we had two kids die (fourth graders) on a field trip when there was a freak mud/rock/sand slide. One kid still hasn't been found.

That just made me choke up. We are in the middle of the field trips at our school (each grade goes somewhere different, on a different day).

I don't think twice about signing the permission slips, but I still have friends who won't let their child go unless they are allowed to chaperone.

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, it does seem like the experts involved were surprised by this. Plus, if you're not really on the brink of killing yourself, being treated like you ARE might be enough to push you over the edge.
I would have been horrified to have been treated like that when I was in for depression. It would have definitely made it worse.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:

They just found the other boy's body :(

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
That just made me choke up. We are in the middle of the field trips at our school (each grade goes somewhere different, on a different day).
I don't think twice about signing the permission slips, but I still have friends who won't let their child go unless they are allowed to chaperone.
I heard, but didn't read, about that last night. And I totally agree that I would not even hesitate to let them go on a field trip; I want them to get all those fun experiences.

Lulu's class was supposed to go to the zoo yesterday, but with what happened in OK on Monday, I think everyone (both the zoo and the school) was just a little nervous about having the kids outside during bad weather, so the trip has been postponed.
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
We are too. My kid has one Tuesday. I can't imagine not going if I couldn't go, though. That's a little helicopetery.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

the dad of the boy they just found today is being amazing. About his kid's teacher: "She treats me like her own family." And he said this was just an accident, no one to blame.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2013

NOt sure if anyone is into storm chasing, but friends of mine are (it's how they met) and they have a website, in case this is something you're interested in:

http://www.prairiewindchasers.com/

THey also teach classes and you can hire them, I think, to take you along with them and teach you stuff.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 84,861 - 84,880 of97,432
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

50 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min Patrick 1,071,771
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 44 min LRS 173,573
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 45 min Stuart Cudahy 45,444
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 1 hr andet1987 388
I Hate my life and mom (Aug '07) 2 hr hands on AR 1,756
Negra Nagin gets 10 years-YEAH 2 hr hands on AR 5
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 3 hr george 3,812
•••
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••