Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

j_m_w wrote:
My dilemma is that while I understand that things change and she's trying to catch up from traveling, it's sort of rude to invite someone and then basically un-invite them. It would be better to just cancel/reschedule altogether IMO. On the other hand, I don't want to be that girl who ditches her friends for a guy.
Thoughts?
Don't make things into a drama, just go. Like you said, plans change. If the boys feel bad about being uninvited, they can go cry in their beer. I'm sure they'll be fine.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Sorry, but while I get she may have over extended herself on the invites and prep, but honestly. How much extra work is it to include D? Yeah he will be the only guy, so what you do is tell him he will be the only guy. He will either get a woody or decline to go.

j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure D won't care that we're not going to A's, but I'm sure he wouldn't be thrilled if *I* cancelled on him too.
I just wrote A back and asked if she was working on Friday or not and told her that I have a half day and offered to go to her house in the afternoon to hang out instead. I feel like that's a good compromise, but if she's working then I don't know.
Today has sucked in other ways too, just annoying stuff like the computer issues and other things, so I'm not feeling particularly gentle right now, but I tried my best to be tactful.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
The Red RIver is going to flood again (Minnesota/North Dakota). Every freaking year, they spend a minimum of $500K to sandbag to save the same 85 homes. The same homes get flooded year after year and we pay for it.
In Florida, so long as your home is homesteaded, regardless of its value, the government will pay to rebuild.$10M mansion on the water? Hurrican destroyed it? Free home gets build. Way to go.
The government shouldn't allow anyone to live in coastal areas. The government shouldn't allow anyone to live around lakes and rivers. The government shouldn't allow anyone to live in flood plains, or tornado alley. They shouldn't allow anyone to live in areas prone to wild fires. Or avalanches.

Do you ever actually listen to yourself?

Let me guess, you'll say, fine, people can live there, but they shouldn't get any government assistance if disaster happens?

Alright, fine. But if a lightening strike knocks down a branch and it crashes through your roof, it's your own fault for living somewhere where lightning can strike, so you're on the hook for any repairs.

Jebus, somehow PEOPLE are being blamed because they're victims of natural disasters. Next thing you know, you're gonna try blaming people for global warming....

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Jess, have you seen this? Priests weigh in on the change in the mass (as we discussed the other day):

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/on-fai...

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
The Red RIver is going to flood again (Minnesota/North Dakota). Every freaking year, they spend a minimum of $500K to sandbag to save the same 85 homes. The same homes get flooded year after year and we pay for it.
In Florida, so long as your home is homesteaded, regardless of its value, the government will pay to rebuild.$10M mansion on the water? Hurrican destroyed it? Free home gets build. Way to go.
Also on the Outter Banks in the Carolinas and even some mudslides in Laguna Beach, California.....i live in Florida, but have never thought of any more, than just what our insurance pays......My understanding was that the Sandy relief, was for infrastructure, not to individuals?.....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
You are an ass. I know I'm getting personal, but right now I'm taking your comment personally because I still drive past the houses that were not in a flood zone but were destroyed by Sandy every day.
The cost of living is probably much lower in OK, too, and the area is less densely populated (I imagine), so the total $ amount to rebuild is significantly higher for Sandy than for this tornado.
The significantly higher rebuilding costs....would have been accounted for by paying the commensurate insurance premiums.....am i missing something here?.....Aren't we all responsible for our lives, especially if we want to LIVE ON THE BEACH AREAS?.......

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure D won't care that we're not going to A's, but I'm sure he wouldn't be thrilled if *I* cancelled on him too.
I just wrote A back and asked if she was working on Friday or not and told her that I have a half day and offered to go to her house in the afternoon to hang out instead. I feel like that's a good compromise, but if she's working then I don't know.
Today has sucked in other ways too, just annoying stuff like the computer issues and other things, so I'm not feeling particularly gentle right now, but I tried my best to be tactful.
"Dude, really? It's cool I 'get' it, but you know, D was already invited and un-inviting someone isn't cool -even though he will totally understand and be cool with it too- but I feel like I would be ditching him, on a weekend night, so I'm going to have to bail on Friday night, and get together with you guys for a girls' night/day later. Sorry..."

But, yanno, nicely, and no sarcasm on the "sorry" part.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Jess, have you seen this? Priests weigh in on the change in the mass (as we discussed the other day):

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/on-fai...
Thanks for sharing! I think the priests are mostly upset because they have to memorize new words when they have been saying the mass for years and they no longer feel above everyone else - they have to go through the same process as the congregation.

In general, though, I agree with most of the article. Mass is the one time that you should try to reach the lowest common denominator so that everyone understands, instead of using words an phrases that mean nothing to the average church goer.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Aisle Sitter wrote:
<quoted text>
my earth sciences teacher in HS went through this... by now, i forget what her conclusion was, but i think upper midwest was her preference... no wild fires like in the arid south/southwest, weather not quite as extreme as in teh plains (tornadoes, hail, thunder storms), no coastal storms/hurricanes. yes, we get rain, snow and flooded rivers here, but they aren't as often or as extreme as what happens in the upper plains (blizzards) and our rivers closer to the Great Lakes haven't taken out the towns along them every 25 years with annual floods that close them in between...
Yeah...i was actually gonna nominate, the area my Grandfather's cabin was...northern portion of lower Michigan...Lotta woods and fresh lakes, great fishing....can't recall a tornado or forest fire, ever...the cold, comes with the safety and security....very secluded means not many jobs....

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>"Dude, really? It's cool I 'get' it, but you know, D was already invited and un-inviting someone isn't cool -even though he will totally understand and be cool with it too- but I feel like I would be ditching him, on a weekend night, so I'm going to have to bail on Friday night, and get together with you guys for a girls' night/day later. Sorry..."

But, yanno, nicely, and no sarcasm on the "sorry" part.
I did a more passive-aggressive version of this, basically.

In other news, just now I went against everyone's advice for the first time and called Jasper. Got voicemail, left a message saying happy birthday and I hope he's doing well. Why did I choose today for this? No idea.

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
but you know, D was already invited and un-inviting someone isn't cool -even though he will totally understand and be cool with it too- but I feel like I would be ditching him, on a weekend night
Geez, shame the dude can't have plans changed on him and be on his own devices on a Friday night. I'm sorry, I thought we were dealing with older and more mature people.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Geez, shame the dude can't have plans changed on him and be on his own devices on a Friday night. I'm sorry, I thought we were dealing with older and more mature people.
I'm with the dog. I don't see what the big deal is. This would not bother me at all.

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

Mister Tonka wrote:
I'm with the dog. I don't see what the big deal is. This would not bother me at all.
This is why you're my Topix man-crush. Hopefully together we can make these women understand that a dude being uninvited to his girlfriend's get together with a bunch of people he doesn't know and given a free Friday night isn't gonna upset his whole universe and force him to wallow alone in his own misery softly weeping while he flips through an old family album feeling lost and unwanted.

And if it does, she's dating the wrong man.

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>I'm with the dog. I don't see what the big deal is. This would not bother me at all.
The big deal is that *I* feel like I'm being forced to be rude. And *I* wouldn't appreciate being uninvited to something so I'm not going to do it to someone else. Golden rule and all that.
:)

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
The big deal is that *I* feel like I'm being forced to be rude. And *I* wouldn't appreciate being uninvited to something so I'm not going to do it to someone else. Golden rule and all that.
:)
I can just see it now. If the roles were reversed, Jam would be on the phone with her friends o a party line call analyzing every moment they'd spent together trying to reconcile how wonderful he'd been all along with how rude he was for changing plans on her like that. But as it is now, the dude would likely say cool and then head out with the fellas to drink some beers while watch the Heat lose to the Pacers.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

kinda like this

HER SIDE OF THE STORY

He was in an odd mood when I got to the bar, I thought it might have been my fault because I was a bit late but he didn't say anything much about it.

The conversation was quite slow going so I thought we should go off somewhere more intimate so we could talk more privately. We went to this restaurant and he was STILL acting a bit funny. I tried to cheer him up and started to wonder whether it was me or something else. I asked him, and he said no. But I wasn't really sure.

So anyway, in the cab on the way back to his house, I said that I love him and he just put his arm around me. I didn't know what the hell that meant because you know he doesn't say it back or anything. We finally got back to his place and I was wondering if he was going to dump me! So I tried to ask him about it but he just switched on the TV. Reluctantly, I said I was going to go to sleep. Then after about 10 minutes, he joined me and we had sex.

But, he still seemed really distracted, so afterwards I just wanted to leave but I just cried myself to sleep. I dunno, I just don't know what he thinks anymore. I mean, do you think he's met someone else???

HIS SIDE OF THE STORY

My team lost. Felt Kinda Tired. Got laid though.

“What's it to ya?”

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah...i was actually gonna nominate, the area my Grandfather's cabin was...northern portion of lower Michigan...Lotta woods and fresh lakes, great fishing....can't recall a tornado or forest fire, ever...the cold, comes with the safety and security....very secluded means not many jobs....
Lake effect snow...

“What's it to ya?”

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Disclaimer: Really, really, really tired but I'm gonna take a shot at this...

He can have plans changed on him. Looks like he did.

The thing here is that he was invited by A and then un-invited. THAT is rude. JMW doesn't want to ditch him because she's made plans to spend the evening with him (at A's house).

So A is rude by un-inviting him and if JMW ditches him to hang with A then he's made plans and been left in the lurch.

True, he might be fine with that. Then again,(even though you think you speak for all men everywhere, you don't)...he may not like the idea of JMW bailing on him and leaving him on his own when he's made plans with her.

Just because A is rude doesn't mean JMW has to be.

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>Disclaimer: Really, really, really tired but I'm gonna take a shot at this...

The thing here is that he was invited by A and then un-invited. THAT is rude. JMW doesn't want to ditch him because she's made plans to spend the evening with him (at A's house).

So A is rude by un-inviting him and if JMW ditches him to hang with A then he's made plans and been left in the lurch.

True, he might be fine with that. Then again,(even though you think you speak for all men everywhere, you don't)...he may not like the idea of JMW bailing on him and leaving him on his own when he's made plans with her.

Thank you.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Disclaimer: Really, really, really tired but I'm gonna take a shot at this...
I don't buy into it being inherently rude. I think you have to look at the factors involved. How important is the event to the person being cancelled on? If its not that important, then I don't see it as rude. Additionally, if its something that can be rescheduled for some other time pretty easily, I'm not seeing a problem. Plans change that's life.

Another factor to look at is the reason for the cancellation especially compared to the importance of what is being cancelled. If we have plans to "hang out" and you're friend calls you with an extra ticket to ...whatever you chicks are into...Rent? Wicked? Hell yeah. Go ahead and go. We can "hang out" tomorrow. Or the next day. If I get last minute tickets to Pearl Jam? Later babe. We can hang out tomorrow. Pearl Jam is tonight only. However, if *WE* had tickets to Wicked, it would be rude to leave you in the lurch to go see Pearl Jam.

That's my take and I'm always right.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

102 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min flack 1,083,966
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 9 min HughBe 68,444
Amy 7-31 17 min Toj 7
Houston police officer leaves blind dog on side... 21 min Nina Golgowski 1
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 22 min litesong 45,901
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 25 min bosshog 3,851
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 28 min Chicagobunny 1,872
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr loose cannon 175,150
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info