|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
The mansions are not being rebuilt around here on the government's dime. Most of that money is going toward replacing public buildings, infrastructure (dunes that prevented worse damage, roads, bridges, etc) and such. Places that had never flooded to this level before are suddenly in FEMA's flood zones and require not just higher insurance but new building requirements (being built higher) to be rebuilt. I am all for relocating people, but we need to have places to relocate them (with jobs) and they have to be willing to move.
? But I didn't say anything about NJ. I know you guys aren't as stupid in your laws as Florida when it comes to coddling multi-millionaires.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

RACE wrote:
Really? News to me. Then why am I required to have hurricane insurance?
Do you have a link to this gravy train? I will keep it for future reference.
<quoted text>
60 Minutes did a huge story on this several years ago. Cited statutes, interviewed lawmakers who defended it, interviewed the people who are opposed to it because it drains the state's coffers, etc.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
For year's i have watched every other day's weather forecast and they say chance of tornadoes for N. Texas and Oklahoma.....I would go, and likely far away.....Wonder if anyone knows of a location, in America...where no natural disasters ever happen........?
my earth sciences teacher in HS went through this... by now, i forget what her conclusion was, but i think upper midwest was her preference... no wild fires like in the arid south/southwest, weather not quite as extreme as in teh plains (tornadoes, hail, thunder storms), no coastal storms/hurricanes. yes, we get rain, snow and flooded rivers here, but they aren't as often or as extreme as what happens in the upper plains (blizzards) and our rivers closer to the Great Lakes haven't taken out the towns along them every 25 years with annual floods that close them in between...

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>I think it depends upon where you live on how teachers are paid. Around here, in the suburbs, they usually make around $70,000 and that's NOT the top paid.

There probably are, definitely, teachers underpaid and overworked. They are not everywhere, however.

Kids are not as dumb as dirt. Parents also have to help do their part in teaching their kids. Too many parents leave it all up to the teachers and then complain.

Are your kids stupid? No. You teach them things. Part of it is the school system in certain areas. Not all areas, not all kids. Part of it is the parents as well.

I get a little tired of hearing how hard teachers have it b/c I know what they make around here and I know what their hours are. I try to check myself b/c it's not like that everywhere.

I realize in the urban and poorer areas it is much different, however.
I am talking in general - have you looked at where our children perform compared to those of other 1st world countries? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2012/...

We keep cutting programs out of our budget because the money has to be allocated to building maintenance or security. Teachers have to spend time teaching kids how to pass tests instead of teaching them how to learn (and around here much of that is the fault of the parents who want immediate metrics, instead if building a solid foundation).

Our school is having a celebratory night in a couple weeks to show off that their first graders are now proficient at reading and give them all library cards (if they don't already have them). Parents should have had their children reading last year and should be taking them to the public library regularly, by they make up excuses.

Teachers shouldn't have to do parents' jobs, but they do because parents are too busy or find it easier to abdicate their responsibilities.

My kids are smart and the Principal doesn't know what to do with my first grader. He has been spending half of the day in the second grade class taking math, reading and writing and he still gets no lower than 98% on his assignments. We'll see what happens next year. I had to fight for a year and a half for the school to challenge him and most parents around here have told me that they would have given up after so many "No"s. People settle.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Toj wrote:
Found this from CBS Chicago site from 2012:
"A Chicago Public Schools spokesperson said average pay for teachers, without benefits, is $76,000.
But a Teachers Union attorney said the number provided by CPS doesn’t tell the whole story.
“When you’re looking at compensation, it’s not enough just to look at salary, because Chicago Public Schools teachers have to pay more for their insurance, and they get less of a contribution from the employer for their pension than in other cities,” CTU attorney Robert Bloch said."
Not saying they don't deserve the $76,000. I do, however, feel that is a very good basic salary. That would not include extra pay for teaching summer school or coaching sports.
And that would not be the top paid. I believe those who have master's degrees and doctorates get paid more.
I have worked a number of places in my career. I have higher degrees.In fewer than 50% has my employer contributed to my 401(k). I don't get a defined beenfit pension. My fretirement is based on what I put it with sme extra from teh boss occasionally.

However, teachers in Chicago do not pay Social Security, so they don't get SS Retirement which I will get.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>? But I didn't say anything about NJ. I know you guys aren't as stupid in your laws as Florida when it comes to coddling multi-millionaires.
I was adding on to your comment, since I was still fired up from Blue's comment.

I am grouchy today. Don't know why.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
I was adding on to your comment, since I was still fired up from Blue's comment.
I am grouchy today. Don't know why.
Gotcha. Feel free to be grouchy.

I had to defend your people to my judgey coworker today who thinks you're all just a bunch of whiners (you Hurrican Sandy people) getting your vacation homes rebuilt on tax dollar money.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
The Red RIver is going to flood again (Minnesota/North Dakota). Every freaking year, they spend a minimum of $500K to sandbag to save the same 85 homes. The same homes get flooded year after year and we pay for it.
In Florida, so long as your home is homesteaded, regardless of its value, the government will pay to rebuild.$10M mansion on the water? Hurrican destroyed it? Free home gets build. Way to go.
by me, the Des Plaines River curls around and some bright developer 40-ish years ago thoguht teh peninsula woudl be a great place to build homes... i can remember thinking in the bad floods of 86 & 87 when i was still in gradeschool (!!!) that those people were kinda dumb to stay there and complain to the news crews taht they were flooded out again, it's teh 5th (Or wahatever number) time they lost everything... this year, someone was in teh press as saying they're fed up, and earlier this year they put their names on teh FEMA buy out waiting list.

the fact that this neighborhood is surrounded on three sides by the river and has a geographic "feature" labeled a spillway should be a hint that the homes may be sugject to a flood or two...

Google Map "des plaines river big bend lake" and take a look...

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>Gotcha. Feel free to be grouchy.

I had to defend your people to my judgey coworker today who thinks you're all just a bunch of whiners (you Hurrican Sandy people) getting your vacation homes rebuilt on tax dollar money.
You can let your coworker know that houses deemed 2nd homes got exactly $0 from the federal government to be rebuilt. Even if people rented them out and used them as a source of income, they were ineligible for FEMA money (which means that many people did lose their primary residences, but if they did not own them they were SOL).

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

I just got off the phone with my Mom. Her cat is 18 years old and just started limping this morning and couldn't jump onto her ledge. She made an appt with the vet for later today, just thinking that she hurt herself, but when she looked in the litterbox there was blood mixed in with everything else.

I know that the cat has led a long life, but it still stinks when you can see the end. My Mom is afraid that the vet is going to ask her to make a decision about whether or not to put her down, and she can barely decide what curtains to put up in the living room (the windows were bare for 10 years). I wish I was there for her :(

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

ScarletandOlive wrote:
I just got off the phone with my Mom. Her cat is 18 years old and just started limping this morning and couldn't jump onto her ledge. She made an appt with the vet for later today, just thinking that she hurt herself, but when she looked in the litterbox there was blood mixed in with everything else.
I know that the cat has led a long life, but it still stinks when you can see the end. My Mom is afraid that the vet is going to ask her to make a decision about whether or not to put her down, and she can barely decide what curtains to put up in the living room (the windows were bare for 10 years). I wish I was there for her :(
You are there. There includes the cell phone, calls to the vet to ask questions while your mom is present or afterwards. If your mom has a smart phone, there can include video or skype. Its just not skin to skin, or skin to fur contact

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
You can let your coworker know that houses deemed 2nd homes got exactly $0 from the federal government to be rebuilt. Even if people rented them out and used them as a source of income, they were ineligible for FEMA money (which means that many people did lose their primary residences, but if they did not own them they were SOL).
I had no research to back me up, but I was confident that federal disaster dollars are not going to pay for people's ruined beach houses (second homes).

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>You are there. There includes the cell phone, calls to the vet to ask questions while your mom is present or afterwards. If your mom has a smart phone, there can include video or skype. Its just not skin to skin, or skin to fur contact
I will be taking videos of the boys to send to her. Let's hope they cooperate :)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

I'm holding a five-week old baby!:)

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Advice needed!

If you've been paying attention, haha, you know that I've been dating D. Last Saturday, my friend A met him for the first time (all went well, blah blah, no story there). While we were all hanging out, A talked about how she's going to have a get-together at her house this Friday because her cousin B is arriving for a visit from out of state (B is female, I've met her several times, she and A and I have been on vacation together, etc.). A was planning to invite a few friends from work, one of her neighbors, and D and I. Mixed group of guys and girls.

A was traveling for work this week and got back last night. I emailed her a little while ago to ask what the plan is for Friday and she wrote back saying that last night she decided to just make it a girls night because she doesn't have time to prepare for a full-blown thing. So it would just be me, her and B.

My dilemma is that while I understand that things change and she's trying to catch up from traveling, it's sort of rude to invite someone and then basically un-invite them. It would be better to just cancel/reschedule altogether IMO. On the other hand, I don't want to be that girl who ditches her friends for a guy.

Thoughts?

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

j_m_w wrote:
Advice needed!

If you've been paying attention, haha, you know that I've been dating D. Last Saturday, my friend A met him for the first time (all went well, blah blah, no story there). While we were all hanging out, A talked about how she's going to have a get-together at her house this Friday because her cousin B is arriving for a visit from out of state (B is female, I've met her several times, she and A and I have been on vacation together, etc.). A was planning to invite a few friends from work, one of her neighbors, and D and I. Mixed group of guys and girls.

A was traveling for work this week and got back last night. I emailed her a little while ago to ask what the plan is for Friday and she wrote back saying that last night she decided to just make it a girls night because she doesn't have time to prepare for a full-blown thing. So it would just be me, her and B.

My dilemma is that while I understand that things change and she's trying to catch up from traveling, it's sort of rude to invite someone and then basically un-invite them. It would be better to just cancel/reschedule altogether IMO. On the other hand, I don't want to be that girl who ditches her friends for a guy.

Thoughts?
My first thought is that you made plans with D based on something that A invited you to. You did not make plans with A and invite D along, right? If A changes her invite then you, as the couple who was originally invited, are free to decline.

However, if B is only going to be there for the weekend and throwing a big get-together is too much for A to manage, then you have a couple of other options. You can throw something at your place that includes D and everyone else on the original invite list, or you can just talk to D about the change of plans (it's not like this was a formal party with engraved invites that were sent up - it sounds like it was half a step up from an impromptu get together). I can't imagine that he wouldn't be understanding and supportive of your desire to hang out with two girlfriends, one of whom you rarely see.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

ScarletandOlive wrote:
I"ve encountered this a few times. Kidneys. IF the cat is in that much pain that he can't jump up, he could be days away from total kidney failure. BTDT>

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

(I mean, that plus the blood in the litter box.)

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
My first thought is that you made plans with D based on something that A invited you to. You did not make plans with A and invite D along, right? If A changes her invite then you, as the couple who was originally invited, are free to decline.
However, if B is only going to be there for the weekend and throwing a big get-together is too much for A to manage, then you have a couple of other options. You can throw something at your place that includes D and everyone else on the original invite list, or you can just talk to D about the change of plans (it's not like this was a formal party with engraved invites that were sent up - it sounds like it was half a step up from an impromptu get together). I can't imagine that he wouldn't be understanding and supportive of your desire to hang out with two girlfriends, one of whom you rarely see.
Yes, the original plans were made to include everyone, not a "tag along" type thing. A actually invited D directly.

B is going to be in town until June 3rd or 4th, I don't remember. A and I talked about the three of us doing a beach day this Sunday (Memorial Day weekend) and also getting together next weekend, so I'll definitely see B anyway.

I'm not going to host something myself because the other people, with the exception of C, are A's friends, not mine. And one of them (her neighbor) I've never even met.

I'm sure D would totally understand and I know that guys are way different about this kind of stuff than girls. I'm just annoyed that A's rudeness is putting ME in a position where I have to be rude too. And I'm surprised that she just assumes that I'm still going vs. leaving it open either way since she changed the plans.

Ugh, not looking forward to either conversation. I feel like I have to be the mediator, and almost like I have to make excuses for A since D has only met her once and I don't want him to think less of her because of this.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>And I'm surprised that she just assumes that I'm still going vs. leaving it open either way since she changed the plans.

Ugh, not looking forward to either conversation. I feel like I have to be the mediator, and almost like I have to make excuses for A since D has only met her once and I don't want him to think less of her because of this.
Her assumption would bother me, too. Hopefully she will understand when you say "We have already made a couple of other plans for just the three of us while B is in town and I'm really looking forward to that, but D and I planned to hang out together this Friday and if you are not up to hosting I understand, but I'm not going to break my plans with D."

Again, since this was an informal get together I'm sure D won't think anything of A deciding that she's not up to hosting a party that she was trying to throw together on such short notice.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 84,801 - 84,820 of97,511
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

23 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 48 min danetoo 67,858
One kilometre high and counting (Jul '07) 1 hr NITiN 4
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 hr shinningelectr0n 1,078,384
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 2 hr andet1987 4,543
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 2 hr andet1987 455
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 4 hr JOEL COOL DUDE 68,357
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 5 hr LRS 174,457
•••

Beach Hazards Statement for Cook County was issued at July 22 at 8:55PM CDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••