Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
Niece said that the cousin came home last night. He (they all) were in a shelter in Moore (one of the ones that held apparently) and all are safe and well.
So glad to hear that!!! Breathing a sigh of relief for your niece and all of those who were worried.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand you being upset about any loss of life.
For the older schools, though, what programs should have been cut to build the safe rooms (and it wouldn't have just been building a room, since I'm sure other infrastructure would have to be updated)? How many teachers should have been fired to cover those costs? Do we want our children educated, I mean with a well-rounded education that will serve as a foundation for the future of this country, or do we just want them babysat?
There are limited funds in this country and the federal government can't subsidize everything because people don't want to pay taxes to support those subsidies. An EF5 tornado cut a path of destruction 17 miles long and 2 miles wide, destroying 2 schools in the process and only 7 school children died. I think it is unrealistic to think that there would be no loss of life in that situation.
The key is to have been underground.
Apparently soil structure does not make it practical to build basements under structures.

An underground shelter does not have to be under another structure.

About 20-30 years ago there was a situation in northern CA where some guys kidnapped a school bus full of kids and drove in into a pre-dug slanted hole and covered it with dirt to hide it.

In OK, you get a front end loader. I assume that rental of some heavy equipment for a couple days digging can be factored into a budget soemwhere without dropping some education program. You did a slanted hole the size of a bus. The twister comes, veryone gets into teh bus which drives into the hole which puts everyone below ground level. Egress is through the back door of the bus when it is all over.

I do not know teh enginnering feasibility , OSHA or FEMA standards etc, but as long as they can dig a hole to put in sewers they could do this. Criminals did it.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand you being upset about any loss of life.
For the older schools, though, what programs should have been cut to build the safe rooms (and it wouldn't have just been building a room, since I'm sure other infrastructure would have to be updated)? How many teachers should have been fired to cover those costs? Do we want our children educated, I mean with a well-rounded education that will serve as a foundation for the future of this country, or do we just want them babysat?
There are limited funds in this country and the federal government can't subsidize everything because people don't want to pay taxes to support those subsidies. An EF5 tornado cut a path of destruction 17 miles long and 2 miles wide, destroying 2 schools in the process and only 7 school children died. I think it is unrealistic to think that there would be no loss of life in that situation.
No, we can't subsidize everything, that's true. I'd rather subsidize something for safety b/c really, if the kids are dead you really don't need those teachers.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chowchilla,_Cali...

Here is link.

Soil engineers and geologists feel free to tell me why this wouldn't work.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Here's a thought I bet would help (maybe).

Everyone is in the mood for helping now b/c of the disaster. Why not set up a fund specifically for building safe rooms?

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>No, we can't subsidize everything, that's true. I'd rather subsidize something for safety b/c really, if the kids are dead you really don't need those teachers.
Just a bunch of dumb as dirt kids who can't compete on a global scale. We are almost there anyway.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
The key is to have been underground.
Apparently soil structure does not make it practical to build basements under structures.
An underground shelter does not have to be under another structure.
About 20-30 years ago there was a situation in northern CA where some guys kidnapped a school bus full of kids and drove in into a pre-dug slanted hole and covered it with dirt to hide it.
In OK, you get a front end loader. I assume that rental of some heavy equipment for a couple days digging can be factored into a budget soemwhere without dropping some education program. You did a slanted hole the size of a bus. The twister comes, veryone gets into teh bus which drives into the hole which puts everyone below ground level. Egress is through the back door of the bus when it is all over.
I do not know teh enginnering feasibility , OSHA or FEMA standards etc, but as long as they can dig a hole to put in sewers they could do this. Criminals did it.
http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/gangsters_...

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Toj wrote:

Everyone is in the mood for helping now b/c of the disaster. Why not set up a fund specifically for building safe rooms?
Or the government can just pass new regulations that make it cost prohibitive to rebuild, like FEMA did after Sandy, so people will have an incentive to move out of areas where natural disasters repeatedly strike.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

I hate to sound cold....but part of me, just does'nt have a lot of patience with those that choose to live in Harm's way....With Sandy, if you select to underinsure and live on the beach...Oh Well......and though i feel awful about all the losses, the Oklahoman's aren't the type to ask for alot of assistance...not at all like Katrina or Sandy.....

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
See that's the thing. Yes, I am as upset as everyone else about people (and kids, even though I don't like them, I do not wish them death) dying, but it WAS an F5. We're only human. Only so much we are able to do against the forces of nature. Shitsgonnahappen, and we have to accept that we can't control everything all of the time.
I read something yesterday (sorry can't remember where, maybe Huff Post) that said a large part of the reason there aren't a whole lot of underground shelters has to do with soil composition and the inability to build structures that won't just fall apart because the soil/bedrock/etc., won't support them in most parts of OK.
My niece told me that they are told to go into the bathroom there too and to get into the bathtub. I guess that *sorta* makes sense since once the building including the bathroom is destroyed you could go for a ride inside the tub? <shrug>
THat's how I feel. Sorry those people died, but that's life. Stuff happens. Grieve, and move on.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
I hate to sound cold....but part of me, just does'nt have a lot of patience with those that choose to live in Harm's way....With Sandy, if you select to underinsure and live on the beach...Oh Well......and though i feel awful about all the losses, the Oklahoman's aren't the type to ask for alot of assistance...not at all like Katrina or Sandy.....
The Red RIver is going to flood again (Minnesota/North Dakota). Every freaking year, they spend a minimum of $500K to sandbag to save the same 85 homes. The same homes get flooded year after year and we pay for it.

In Florida, so long as your home is homesteaded, regardless of its value, the government will pay to rebuild.$10M mansion on the water? Hurrican destroyed it? Free home gets build. Way to go.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
Just a bunch of dumb as dirt kids who can't compete on a global scale. We are almost there anyway.
I think it depends upon where you live on how teachers are paid. Around here, in the suburbs, they usually make around $70,000 and that's NOT the top paid.

There probably are, definitely, teachers underpaid and overworked. They are not everywhere, however.

Kids are not as dumb as dirt. Parents also have to help do their part in teaching their kids. Too many parents leave it all up to the teachers and then complain.

Are your kids stupid? No. You teach them things. Part of it is the school system in certain areas. Not all areas, not all kids. Part of it is the parents as well.

I get a little tired of hearing how hard teachers have it b/c I know what they make around here and I know what their hours are. I try to check myself b/c it's not like that everywhere.

I realize in the urban and poorer areas it is much different, however.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Found this from CBS Chicago site from 2012:

"A Chicago Public Schools spokesperson said average pay for teachers, without benefits, is $76,000.

But a Teachers Union attorney said the number provided by CPS doesn’t tell the whole story.

“When you’re looking at compensation, it’s not enough just to look at salary, because Chicago Public Schools teachers have to pay more for their insurance, and they get less of a contribution from the employer for their pension than in other cities,” CTU attorney Robert Bloch said."

Not saying they don't deserve the $76,000. I do, however, feel that is a very good basic salary. That would not include extra pay for teaching summer school or coaching sports.

And that would not be the top paid. I believe those who have master's degrees and doctorates get paid more.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
You are an ass. I know I'm getting personal, but right now I'm taking your comment personally because I still drive past the houses that were not in a flood zone but were destroyed by Sandy every day.

The cost of living is probably much lower in OK, too, and the area is less densely populated (I imagine), so the total $ amount to rebuild is significantly higher for Sandy than for this tornado.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

I'm sorry Blue. I should not have resorted to name calling.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Really? News to me. Then why am I required to have hurricane insurance?
Do you have a link to this gravy train? I will keep it for future reference.
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
In Florida, so long as your home is homesteaded, regardless of its value, the government will pay to rebuild.$10M mansion on the water? Hurrican destroyed it? Free home gets build. Way to go.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Because corruption would siphon the money off, and safe rooms dont work in an F4, and how about the towns affected get volunteers to start digging tornado bunkers at their schools?
Toj wrote:

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>The Red RIver is going to flood again (Minnesota/North Dakota). Every freaking year, they spend a minimum of $500K to sandbag to save the same 85 homes. The same homes get flooded year after year and we pay for it.

The mansions are not being rebuilt around here on the government's dime. Most of that money is going toward replacing public buildings, infrastructure (dunes that prevented worse damage, roads, bridges, etc) and such. Places that had never flooded to this level before are suddenly in FEMA's flood zones and require not just higher insurance but new building requirements (being built higher) to be rebuilt. I am all for relocating people, but we need to have places to relocate them (with jobs) and they have to be willing to move.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

for anyone who likes sappy happy stuff
http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/lifestyle/20...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
The mansions are not being rebuilt around here on the government's dime. Most of that money is going toward replacing public buildings, infrastructure (dunes that prevented worse damage, roads, bridges, etc) and such. Places that had never flooded to this level before are suddenly in FEMA's flood zones and require not just higher insurance but new building requirements (being built higher) to be rebuilt. I am all for relocating people, but we need to have places to relocate them (with jobs) and they have to be willing to move.
? But I didn't say anything about NJ. I know you guys aren't as stupid in your laws as Florida when it comes to coddling multi-millionaires.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

21 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 56 min Incognito4Ever 1,081,627
One kilometre high and counting (Jul '07) 1 hr TW_sugar_daddio 17
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 hr LRS 174,860
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 3 hr JOEL COOL DUDE 68,391
Word (Dec '08) 4 hr andet1987 4,585
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 4 hr andet1987 4,561
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 4 hr truth 48,928
•••

Beach Hazards Statement for Cook County was issued at July 27 at 10:14PM CDT

•••
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••