“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#85950 May 22, 2013
PEllen wrote:
Apparently my outrage is shared in OK. Their Governor was on teh radio this mornng being fairly defensive about "older schools" and saying that new ones have safe rooms.
So, apparently it is insensitive to bring up that the OK Congressional delegation opposed Sandy relief so close to the tornado needs, hmmm.
Frigging hypocrites.
And schools near nuclear plants should be lined with lead, schools in potential flood zones should have a bunch of snorkels sticking up out of the roof. Schools by....

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#85951 May 22, 2013
Rant unrelated to tornadoes, safe rooms, or the government:

Freaking IE automatically updated to 10, which totally messed up my morning. I had to ask IT to downgrade it back to 8 and then I had to remember what my custom security settings were for certain websites for work, THEN I had to uninstall and reinstall Java TWICE. I think I'm finally back to normal but what an annoying way to start the day.

Okay, that's better.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#85952 May 22, 2013
RACE wrote:
Tough call. I had lived in the same area of NY until I was 30+ and it was kinda surreal moving to FL, but I did it.
However I know peeps who will live in that part of NY until the day they die. The thought of leaving is simply outside of their grasp. and I think that a lot of the peeps in OK are probably that way. They will stay because leaving is just not an option.
If they stay, I hope they rebuild with tornado's in mind.
<quoted text>
If they rebuild, i would start with a full, deep basement or buried shelter...before i would even think about the rest of the structure.....and code out, mobile home parks....

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#85953 May 22, 2013
It was late, and I didnt have a lot to work with.
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
That the best you can do, son?

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#85954 May 22, 2013
Here PEllen, start your outrage machine back up.

An EF-5 is as bad as it gets," said Joe D'Aleo, co-chief forecaster for WeatherBell Analytics. "It's equivalent to a Category 5 hurricane. It means winds were more than 200 miles per hour, and it means you have to be underground, because there will be nothing left above ground."

Safe rooms are a joke.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#85955 May 22, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
For year's i have watched every other day's weather forecast and they say chance of tornadoes for N. Texas and Oklahoma.....I would go, and likely far away.....Wonder if anyone knows of a location, in America...where no natural disasters ever happen........?
I just read a thing on this last night...they narrowed it down to one little corner of Connecticut.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politi...

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#85956 May 22, 2013
RACE wrote:
"It's equivalent to a Category 5 hurricane. It means winds were more than 200 miles per hour, and it means you have to be underground, because there will be nothing left above ground."
Safe rooms are a joke.
See that's the thing. Yes, I am as upset as everyone else about people (and kids, even though I don't like them, I do not wish them death) dying, but it WAS an F5. We're only human. Only so much we are able to do against the forces of nature. Shitsgonnahappen, and we have to accept that we can't control everything all of the time.

I read something yesterday (sorry can't remember where, maybe Huff Post) that said a large part of the reason there aren't a whole lot of underground shelters has to do with soil composition and the inability to build structures that won't just fall apart because the soil/bedrock/etc., won't support them in most parts of OK.

My niece told me that they are told to go into the bathroom there too and to get into the bathtub. I guess that *sorta* makes sense since once the building including the bathroom is destroyed you could go for a ride inside the tub? <shrug>

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#85957 May 22, 2013
Niece said that the cousin came home last night. He (they all) were in a shelter in Moore (one of the ones that held apparently) and all are safe and well.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#85958 May 22, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>If you lived in Moore, Oklahoma......Time to rebuild or leave?......
I'd be gone so fast. Of course I'd never move there in the first damn place.

Location hidden

#85959 May 22, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
I just read a thing on this last night...they narrowed it down to one little corner of Connecticut.
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politi...
I think there is an area of forests and lakes, in north-central and northwest lower Michigan, where i don't recall any fires or tornadoes ever, great for fishing and sportsmen.....but, it's quite away from any large citys.....probably not much work, though.....

Location hidden

#85960 May 22, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd be gone so fast. Of course I'd never move there in the first damn place.
If you live near Tacoma, i have been there and loved it...the whole area....guess earthquakes are the only variable....Yea, i would never live in the flatland middle, either.....

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#85961 May 22, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>If you live near Tacoma, i have been there and loved it...the whole area....guess earthquakes are the only variable....Yea, i would never live in the flatland middle, either.....
Meh. I grew up in California. Earthquakes don't faze me, and I've been in some big ones (Northridge, Loma Prieta, others with names I don't remember/know...). Not to say I don't take them seriously, I do, but I am so accustomed to them having lived with them my whole life that it's most of the time "oh an earthquake...yawn"

Of course MOST of the time they are pretty minor. There was one in like '84 that just went on and on (it was like a 6.5) that I thought was never going to stop and it started to freak me out about a minute (most initial shocks last like 15-30 seconds...then aftershocks)into it. Then it stopped, and I shrugged it off. You gotta do that when you live in earthquake country...or you know, move to OK where they don't have them.

My biggest concern living here is this nice big volcano we got right here in river city.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#85962 May 22, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
Niece said that the cousin came home last night. He (they all) were in a shelter in Moore (one of the ones that held apparently) and all are safe and well.
So glad to hear that!!! Breathing a sigh of relief for your niece and all of those who were worried.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#85963 May 22, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand you being upset about any loss of life.
For the older schools, though, what programs should have been cut to build the safe rooms (and it wouldn't have just been building a room, since I'm sure other infrastructure would have to be updated)? How many teachers should have been fired to cover those costs? Do we want our children educated, I mean with a well-rounded education that will serve as a foundation for the future of this country, or do we just want them babysat?
There are limited funds in this country and the federal government can't subsidize everything because people don't want to pay taxes to support those subsidies. An EF5 tornado cut a path of destruction 17 miles long and 2 miles wide, destroying 2 schools in the process and only 7 school children died. I think it is unrealistic to think that there would be no loss of life in that situation.
The key is to have been underground.
Apparently soil structure does not make it practical to build basements under structures.

An underground shelter does not have to be under another structure.

About 20-30 years ago there was a situation in northern CA where some guys kidnapped a school bus full of kids and drove in into a pre-dug slanted hole and covered it with dirt to hide it.

In OK, you get a front end loader. I assume that rental of some heavy equipment for a couple days digging can be factored into a budget soemwhere without dropping some education program. You did a slanted hole the size of a bus. The twister comes, veryone gets into teh bus which drives into the hole which puts everyone below ground level. Egress is through the back door of the bus when it is all over.

I do not know teh enginnering feasibility , OSHA or FEMA standards etc, but as long as they can dig a hole to put in sewers they could do this. Criminals did it.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#85964 May 22, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand you being upset about any loss of life.
For the older schools, though, what programs should have been cut to build the safe rooms (and it wouldn't have just been building a room, since I'm sure other infrastructure would have to be updated)? How many teachers should have been fired to cover those costs? Do we want our children educated, I mean with a well-rounded education that will serve as a foundation for the future of this country, or do we just want them babysat?
There are limited funds in this country and the federal government can't subsidize everything because people don't want to pay taxes to support those subsidies. An EF5 tornado cut a path of destruction 17 miles long and 2 miles wide, destroying 2 schools in the process and only 7 school children died. I think it is unrealistic to think that there would be no loss of life in that situation.
No, we can't subsidize everything, that's true. I'd rather subsidize something for safety b/c really, if the kids are dead you really don't need those teachers.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#85965 May 22, 2013
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chowchilla,_Cali...

Here is link.

Soil engineers and geologists feel free to tell me why this wouldn't work.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#85966 May 22, 2013
Here's a thought I bet would help (maybe).

Everyone is in the mood for helping now b/c of the disaster. Why not set up a fund specifically for building safe rooms?

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#85967 May 22, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>No, we can't subsidize everything, that's true. I'd rather subsidize something for safety b/c really, if the kids are dead you really don't need those teachers.
Just a bunch of dumb as dirt kids who can't compete on a global scale. We are almost there anyway.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#85968 May 22, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
The key is to have been underground.
Apparently soil structure does not make it practical to build basements under structures.
An underground shelter does not have to be under another structure.
About 20-30 years ago there was a situation in northern CA where some guys kidnapped a school bus full of kids and drove in into a pre-dug slanted hole and covered it with dirt to hide it.
In OK, you get a front end loader. I assume that rental of some heavy equipment for a couple days digging can be factored into a budget soemwhere without dropping some education program. You did a slanted hole the size of a bus. The twister comes, veryone gets into teh bus which drives into the hole which puts everyone below ground level. Egress is through the back door of the bus when it is all over.
I do not know teh enginnering feasibility , OSHA or FEMA standards etc, but as long as they can dig a hole to put in sewers they could do this. Criminals did it.
http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/gangsters_...

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#85969 May 22, 2013
Toj wrote:
Here's a thought I bet would help (maybe).

Everyone is in the mood for helping now b/c of the disaster. Why not set up a fund specifically for building safe rooms?
Or the government can just pass new regulations that make it cost prohibitive to rebuild, like FEMA did after Sandy, so people will have an incentive to move out of areas where natural disasters repeatedly strike.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 7 min Jacques from Ottawa 178,012
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 9 min RealDave 1,109,606
ISIS Plans to Blow Up an Entire American City a... 9 min Always Smile 83
Scots, Scottish Americans in Chicago brace for ... 11 min James 2
Dear Abby 9-17-14 15 min Mister Tonka 8
Protests Continue After Chicago Police Shoot 3r... 22 min reality is a crutch 1
Amy 9-17-14 24 min Mister Tonka 10
Amy 9-16 1 hr Mister Tonka 49
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000