Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure a lot of people will stay for the community of people that is there and not b/c of the location. Personally, if it was me I'd go, but then again I'd never move there to begin with. If you have kids, who have friends and your best friends live there I'm sure it would be very difficult to leave especially after you lose all tangible possessions.
I understand that as well, but a long time after Katrina, there were people in NO still living in Fema housing, still expecting someone to drop a nice home/apartment in their laps, when they could have been working toward that themselves.

I'd rather move and just get my life back together as soon as possible, even if it's elsewhere.

However, I'm not married with kids, so I think those things would change how someone feels aboutmoving.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Apparently my outrage is shared in OK. Their Governor was on teh radio this mornng being fairly defensive about "older schools" and saying that new ones have safe rooms.

So, apparently it is insensitive to bring up that the OK Congressional delegation opposed Sandy relief so close to the tornado needs, hmmm.

Frigging hypocrites.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd rather move and just get my life back together as soon as possible, even if it's elsewhere.
However, I'm not married with kids, so I think those things would change how someone feels aboutmoving.
I'd think you'd want to get kids back in to a 'normal' lifestyle as quickly as possible, too. But some people are tied to location for whatever reason.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Tough call. I had lived in the same area of NY until I was 30+ and it was kinda surreal moving to FL, but I did it.

However I know peeps who will live in that part of NY until the day they die. The thought of leaving is simply outside of their grasp. and I think that a lot of the peeps in OK are probably that way. They will stay because leaving is just not an option.
If they stay, I hope they rebuild with tornado's in mind.
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>If you lived in Moore, Oklahoma......Time to rebuild or leave?......

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand that as well, but a long time after Katrina, there were people in NO still living in Fema housing, still expecting someone to drop a nice home/apartment in their laps, when they could have been working toward that themselves.
Yes, I agree. It's the people with families I think would have a difficult time. I can't imagine making important decisions like where you are going to live when you've went through such a disaster.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

PEllen wrote:
Apparently my outrage is shared in OK. Their Governor was on teh radio this mornng being fairly defensive about "older schools" and saying that new ones have safe rooms.
So, apparently it is insensitive to bring up that the OK Congressional delegation opposed Sandy relief so close to the tornado needs, hmmm.
Frigging hypocrites.
I agree with you on the whole responsibility thing. I could even understand if they said -- look, we should have. We were looking at costs b/c of our economic situation but looking back that was not wise and we need to correct that. I don't think I'd hang 'em for not doing it but they need to recognize mistakes and correct them.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

PEllen wrote:

Frigging hypocrites.
I understand you being upset about any loss of life.

For the older schools, though, what programs should have been cut to build the safe rooms (and it wouldn't have just been building a room, since I'm sure other infrastructure would have to be updated)? How many teachers should have been fired to cover those costs? Do we want our children educated, I mean with a well-rounded education that will serve as a foundation for the future of this country, or do we just want them babysat?

There are limited funds in this country and the federal government can't subsidize everything because people don't want to pay taxes to support those subsidies. An EF5 tornado cut a path of destruction 17 miles long and 2 miles wide, destroying 2 schools in the process and only 7 school children died. I think it is unrealistic to think that there would be no loss of life in that situation.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

What exactly is a safe room? How many does it hold?

In FL, homes are built with a safe room, usually the interior bathroom. Basically its a reinforced room (walls,ceiling) making it like a cage. Problem is, there aint no way its gonna withstand a tornado. NOTHING withstands a tornado except a concrete building with no windows.

So, if the safe rooms in OK are the same as what we have here, I strongly suggest that those parents start complaining that those things are useless in a tornado and demand that underground shelters be built. Hell, I would have one myself, but if you dig down 4ft on my property, you hit water.

PEllen wrote:
Frigging hypocrites.

“Derecho”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

RACE wrote:
your incorrect in your wording The proper word is "steel" not Steal.
Your a fine one to get on my case.
<quoted text>
That the best you can do, son?

“Derecho”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

PEllen wrote:
Frigging hypocrites.
And schools near nuclear plants should be lined with lead, schools in potential flood zones should have a bunch of snorkels sticking up out of the roof. Schools by....

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

Rant unrelated to tornadoes, safe rooms, or the government:

Freaking IE automatically updated to 10, which totally messed up my morning. I had to ask IT to downgrade it back to 8 and then I had to remember what my custom security settings were for certain websites for work, THEN I had to uninstall and reinstall Java TWICE. I think I'm finally back to normal but what an annoying way to start the day.

Okay, that's better.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

RACE wrote:
Tough call. I had lived in the same area of NY until I was 30+ and it was kinda surreal moving to FL, but I did it.
However I know peeps who will live in that part of NY until the day they die. The thought of leaving is simply outside of their grasp. and I think that a lot of the peeps in OK are probably that way. They will stay because leaving is just not an option.
If they stay, I hope they rebuild with tornado's in mind.
<quoted text>
If they rebuild, i would start with a full, deep basement or buried shelter...before i would even think about the rest of the structure.....and code out, mobile home parks....

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

It was late, and I didnt have a lot to work with.
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
That the best you can do, son?

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

Here PEllen, start your outrage machine back up.

An EF-5 is as bad as it gets," said Joe D'Aleo, co-chief forecaster for WeatherBell Analytics. "It's equivalent to a Category 5 hurricane. It means winds were more than 200 miles per hour, and it means you have to be underground, because there will be nothing left above ground."

Safe rooms are a joke.

“What's it to ya?”

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
For year's i have watched every other day's weather forecast and they say chance of tornadoes for N. Texas and Oklahoma.....I would go, and likely far away.....Wonder if anyone knows of a location, in America...where no natural disasters ever happen........?
I just read a thing on this last night...they narrowed it down to one little corner of Connecticut.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politi...

“What's it to ya?”

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

RACE wrote:
"It's equivalent to a Category 5 hurricane. It means winds were more than 200 miles per hour, and it means you have to be underground, because there will be nothing left above ground."
Safe rooms are a joke.
See that's the thing. Yes, I am as upset as everyone else about people (and kids, even though I don't like them, I do not wish them death) dying, but it WAS an F5. We're only human. Only so much we are able to do against the forces of nature. Shitsgonnahappen, and we have to accept that we can't control everything all of the time.

I read something yesterday (sorry can't remember where, maybe Huff Post) that said a large part of the reason there aren't a whole lot of underground shelters has to do with soil composition and the inability to build structures that won't just fall apart because the soil/bedrock/etc., won't support them in most parts of OK.

My niece told me that they are told to go into the bathroom there too and to get into the bathtub. I guess that *sorta* makes sense since once the building including the bathroom is destroyed you could go for a ride inside the tub? <shrug>

“What's it to ya?”

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

Niece said that the cousin came home last night. He (they all) were in a shelter in Moore (one of the ones that held apparently) and all are safe and well.

“What's it to ya?”

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>If you lived in Moore, Oklahoma......Time to rebuild or leave?......
I'd be gone so fast. Of course I'd never move there in the first damn place.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
I just read a thing on this last night...they narrowed it down to one little corner of Connecticut.
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politi...
I think there is an area of forests and lakes, in north-central and northwest lower Michigan, where i don't recall any fires or tornadoes ever, great for fishing and sportsmen.....but, it's quite away from any large citys.....probably not much work, though.....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd be gone so fast. Of course I'd never move there in the first damn place.
If you live near Tacoma, i have been there and loved it...the whole area....guess earthquakes are the only variable....Yea, i would never live in the flatland middle, either.....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 84,761 - 84,780 of97,458
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

116 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min sonicfilter 1,073,368
Zip Coon Sing Along LOL 2 min You Tube 1
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 9 min Registered Earth Angel 48,705
Amy 7-14 14 min PEllen 1
Abby 7-14 15 min PEllen 1
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 29 min SpaceBlues 45,611
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Jacques from Ottawa 173,789
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info