Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#85987 May 22, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
I was adding on to your comment, since I was still fired up from Blue's comment.
I am grouchy today. Don't know why.
Gotcha. Feel free to be grouchy.

I had to defend your people to my judgey coworker today who thinks you're all just a bunch of whiners (you Hurrican Sandy people) getting your vacation homes rebuilt on tax dollar money.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

#85988 May 22, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
The Red RIver is going to flood again (Minnesota/North Dakota). Every freaking year, they spend a minimum of $500K to sandbag to save the same 85 homes. The same homes get flooded year after year and we pay for it.
In Florida, so long as your home is homesteaded, regardless of its value, the government will pay to rebuild.$10M mansion on the water? Hurrican destroyed it? Free home gets build. Way to go.
by me, the Des Plaines River curls around and some bright developer 40-ish years ago thoguht teh peninsula woudl be a great place to build homes... i can remember thinking in the bad floods of 86 & 87 when i was still in gradeschool (!!!) that those people were kinda dumb to stay there and complain to the news crews taht they were flooded out again, it's teh 5th (Or wahatever number) time they lost everything... this year, someone was in teh press as saying they're fed up, and earlier this year they put their names on teh FEMA buy out waiting list.

the fact that this neighborhood is surrounded on three sides by the river and has a geographic "feature" labeled a spillway should be a hint that the homes may be sugject to a flood or two...

Google Map "des plaines river big bend lake" and take a look...

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#85989 May 22, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>Gotcha. Feel free to be grouchy.

I had to defend your people to my judgey coworker today who thinks you're all just a bunch of whiners (you Hurrican Sandy people) getting your vacation homes rebuilt on tax dollar money.
You can let your coworker know that houses deemed 2nd homes got exactly $0 from the federal government to be rebuilt. Even if people rented them out and used them as a source of income, they were ineligible for FEMA money (which means that many people did lose their primary residences, but if they did not own them they were SOL).

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#85990 May 22, 2013
I just got off the phone with my Mom. Her cat is 18 years old and just started limping this morning and couldn't jump onto her ledge. She made an appt with the vet for later today, just thinking that she hurt herself, but when she looked in the litterbox there was blood mixed in with everything else.

I know that the cat has led a long life, but it still stinks when you can see the end. My Mom is afraid that the vet is going to ask her to make a decision about whether or not to put her down, and she can barely decide what curtains to put up in the living room (the windows were bare for 10 years). I wish I was there for her :(

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#85991 May 22, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
I just got off the phone with my Mom. Her cat is 18 years old and just started limping this morning and couldn't jump onto her ledge. She made an appt with the vet for later today, just thinking that she hurt herself, but when she looked in the litterbox there was blood mixed in with everything else.
I know that the cat has led a long life, but it still stinks when you can see the end. My Mom is afraid that the vet is going to ask her to make a decision about whether or not to put her down, and she can barely decide what curtains to put up in the living room (the windows were bare for 10 years). I wish I was there for her :(
You are there. There includes the cell phone, calls to the vet to ask questions while your mom is present or afterwards. If your mom has a smart phone, there can include video or skype. Its just not skin to skin, or skin to fur contact

Location hidden

#85992 May 22, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
You can let your coworker know that houses deemed 2nd homes got exactly $0 from the federal government to be rebuilt. Even if people rented them out and used them as a source of income, they were ineligible for FEMA money (which means that many people did lose their primary residences, but if they did not own them they were SOL).
I had no research to back me up, but I was confident that federal disaster dollars are not going to pay for people's ruined beach houses (second homes).

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#85993 May 22, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>You are there. There includes the cell phone, calls to the vet to ask questions while your mom is present or afterwards. If your mom has a smart phone, there can include video or skype. Its just not skin to skin, or skin to fur contact
I will be taking videos of the boys to send to her. Let's hope they cooperate :)

Location hidden

#85994 May 22, 2013
I'm holding a five-week old baby!:)

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#85995 May 22, 2013
Advice needed!

If you've been paying attention, haha, you know that I've been dating D. Last Saturday, my friend A met him for the first time (all went well, blah blah, no story there). While we were all hanging out, A talked about how she's going to have a get-together at her house this Friday because her cousin B is arriving for a visit from out of state (B is female, I've met her several times, she and A and I have been on vacation together, etc.). A was planning to invite a few friends from work, one of her neighbors, and D and I. Mixed group of guys and girls.

A was traveling for work this week and got back last night. I emailed her a little while ago to ask what the plan is for Friday and she wrote back saying that last night she decided to just make it a girls night because she doesn't have time to prepare for a full-blown thing. So it would just be me, her and B.

My dilemma is that while I understand that things change and she's trying to catch up from traveling, it's sort of rude to invite someone and then basically un-invite them. It would be better to just cancel/reschedule altogether IMO. On the other hand, I don't want to be that girl who ditches her friends for a guy.

Thoughts?

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#85996 May 22, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
Advice needed!

If you've been paying attention, haha, you know that I've been dating D. Last Saturday, my friend A met him for the first time (all went well, blah blah, no story there). While we were all hanging out, A talked about how she's going to have a get-together at her house this Friday because her cousin B is arriving for a visit from out of state (B is female, I've met her several times, she and A and I have been on vacation together, etc.). A was planning to invite a few friends from work, one of her neighbors, and D and I. Mixed group of guys and girls.

A was traveling for work this week and got back last night. I emailed her a little while ago to ask what the plan is for Friday and she wrote back saying that last night she decided to just make it a girls night because she doesn't have time to prepare for a full-blown thing. So it would just be me, her and B.

My dilemma is that while I understand that things change and she's trying to catch up from traveling, it's sort of rude to invite someone and then basically un-invite them. It would be better to just cancel/reschedule altogether IMO. On the other hand, I don't want to be that girl who ditches her friends for a guy.

Thoughts?
My first thought is that you made plans with D based on something that A invited you to. You did not make plans with A and invite D along, right? If A changes her invite then you, as the couple who was originally invited, are free to decline.

However, if B is only going to be there for the weekend and throwing a big get-together is too much for A to manage, then you have a couple of other options. You can throw something at your place that includes D and everyone else on the original invite list, or you can just talk to D about the change of plans (it's not like this was a formal party with engraved invites that were sent up - it sounds like it was half a step up from an impromptu get together). I can't imagine that he wouldn't be understanding and supportive of your desire to hang out with two girlfriends, one of whom you rarely see.

Location hidden

#85997 May 22, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
I"ve encountered this a few times. Kidneys. IF the cat is in that much pain that he can't jump up, he could be days away from total kidney failure. BTDT>

Location hidden

#85998 May 22, 2013
(I mean, that plus the blood in the litter box.)

Miami, FL

#85999 May 22, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
My first thought is that you made plans with D based on something that A invited you to. You did not make plans with A and invite D along, right? If A changes her invite then you, as the couple who was originally invited, are free to decline.
However, if B is only going to be there for the weekend and throwing a big get-together is too much for A to manage, then you have a couple of other options. You can throw something at your place that includes D and everyone else on the original invite list, or you can just talk to D about the change of plans (it's not like this was a formal party with engraved invites that were sent up - it sounds like it was half a step up from an impromptu get together). I can't imagine that he wouldn't be understanding and supportive of your desire to hang out with two girlfriends, one of whom you rarely see.
Yes, the original plans were made to include everyone, not a "tag along" type thing. A actually invited D directly.

B is going to be in town until June 3rd or 4th, I don't remember. A and I talked about the three of us doing a beach day this Sunday (Memorial Day weekend) and also getting together next weekend, so I'll definitely see B anyway.

I'm not going to host something myself because the other people, with the exception of C, are A's friends, not mine. And one of them (her neighbor) I've never even met.

I'm sure D would totally understand and I know that guys are way different about this kind of stuff than girls. I'm just annoyed that A's rudeness is putting ME in a position where I have to be rude too. And I'm surprised that she just assumes that I'm still going vs. leaving it open either way since she changed the plans.

Ugh, not looking forward to either conversation. I feel like I have to be the mediator, and almost like I have to make excuses for A since D has only met her once and I don't want him to think less of her because of this.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#86000 May 22, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>And I'm surprised that she just assumes that I'm still going vs. leaving it open either way since she changed the plans.

Ugh, not looking forward to either conversation. I feel like I have to be the mediator, and almost like I have to make excuses for A since D has only met her once and I don't want him to think less of her because of this.
Her assumption would bother me, too. Hopefully she will understand when you say "We have already made a couple of other plans for just the three of us while B is in town and I'm really looking forward to that, but D and I planned to hang out together this Friday and if you are not up to hosting I understand, but I'm not going to break my plans with D."

Again, since this was an informal get together I'm sure D won't think anything of A deciding that she's not up to hosting a party that she was trying to throw together on such short notice.

Miami, FL

#86001 May 22, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
Her assumption would bother me, too. Hopefully she will understand when you say "We have already made a couple of other plans for just the three of us while B is in town and I'm really looking forward to that, but D and I planned to hang out together this Friday and if you are not up to hosting I understand, but I'm not going to break my plans with D."
Again, since this was an informal get together I'm sure D won't think anything of A deciding that she's not up to hosting a party that she was trying to throw together on such short notice.
I'm sure D won't care that we're not going to A's, but I'm sure he wouldn't be thrilled if *I* cancelled on him too.

I just wrote A back and asked if she was working on Friday or not and told her that I have a half day and offered to go to her house in the afternoon to hang out instead. I feel like that's a good compromise, but if she's working then I don't know.

Today has sucked in other ways too, just annoying stuff like the computer issues and other things, so I'm not feeling particularly gentle right now, but I tried my best to be tactful.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#86002 May 22, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
Thoughts?
Don't make things into a drama, just go. Like you said, plans change. If the boys feel bad about being uninvited, they can go cry in their beer. I'm sure they'll be fine.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#86003 May 22, 2013
Sorry, but while I get she may have over extended herself on the invites and prep, but honestly. How much extra work is it to include D? Yeah he will be the only guy, so what you do is tell him he will be the only guy. He will either get a woody or decline to go.

j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure D won't care that we're not going to A's, but I'm sure he wouldn't be thrilled if *I* cancelled on him too.
I just wrote A back and asked if she was working on Friday or not and told her that I have a half day and offered to go to her house in the afternoon to hang out instead. I feel like that's a good compromise, but if she's working then I don't know.
Today has sucked in other ways too, just annoying stuff like the computer issues and other things, so I'm not feeling particularly gentle right now, but I tried my best to be tactful.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#86004 May 22, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
The Red RIver is going to flood again (Minnesota/North Dakota). Every freaking year, they spend a minimum of $500K to sandbag to save the same 85 homes. The same homes get flooded year after year and we pay for it.
In Florida, so long as your home is homesteaded, regardless of its value, the government will pay to rebuild.$10M mansion on the water? Hurrican destroyed it? Free home gets build. Way to go.
The government shouldn't allow anyone to live in coastal areas. The government shouldn't allow anyone to live around lakes and rivers. The government shouldn't allow anyone to live in flood plains, or tornado alley. They shouldn't allow anyone to live in areas prone to wild fires. Or avalanches.

Do you ever actually listen to yourself?

Let me guess, you'll say, fine, people can live there, but they shouldn't get any government assistance if disaster happens?

Alright, fine. But if a lightening strike knocks down a branch and it crashes through your roof, it's your own fault for living somewhere where lightning can strike, so you're on the hook for any repairs.

Jebus, somehow PEOPLE are being blamed because they're victims of natural disasters. Next thing you know, you're gonna try blaming people for global warming....

Location hidden

#86005 May 22, 2013
Jess, have you seen this? Priests weigh in on the change in the mass (as we discussed the other day):

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/on-fai...

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#86006 May 22, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Also on the Outter Banks in the Carolinas and even some mudslides in Laguna Beach, California.....i live in Florida, but have never thought of any more, than just what our insurance pays......My understanding was that the Sandy relief, was for infrastructure, not to individuals?.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 14 min shinningelectr0n 1,144,219
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 34 min JOEL 70,625
EverGreen Belgrade 1 hr AqifBlytaWasShotL... 18
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr IBdaMann 48,593
Boycott all Topix Sponsors 2 hr People Please 6
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 hr wojar 180,944
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 4 hr TRD 68,797
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:00 pm PST

Bleacher Report 4:00PM
Breaking Down What Colt McCoy Brings to the Washington Offense in Place of RGIII
NBC Sports 4:45 PM
NFL on Thanksgiving: Bears season falls into irrelevancy
NBC Sports 4:50 PM
NFL on Thanksgiving: Megatron reaches 10,000 yards
Bleacher Report 5:33 PM
Bears vs. Lions Video Highlights
Yahoo! Sports 6:07 PM
Lions, Eagles serve up Thanksgiving Day routs