Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Friend/former coworker asked me to be a reference for a job he's interviewing for. Sure, no problem. Glad to do it.
He emailed me today. He didn't get it, despite being very qualified, a hard worker, and got through the first round of interviews. In the second round, he apparently asked for some info re: their benefits package, and for each aspect (vacation time, sick time, health insurance, dental insurance, core work hours, etc.), he was told "It's flexible." Nothing concrete.
So after the second interview, he interviewed the HR person he'd met with to ask for some info, and he was told that he was not going to be hired b/c he was more interested in his own personal financial gain than in the actual job and doing the work.
We both think he dodged a bullet.
I agree.

Toj makes a good point, but you said he asked in the SECOND interview, not the first - I think that makes a big difference. Their answer is also very sketchy; I can see how maybe hours and PTO could be "flexible" but they couldn't answer his questions about insurance coverage? That's not something that CAN be flexible, you either have a plan or you don't. And if they do it some other way and reimburse people for out of pocket costs or something, they're walking a fine line of illegal and you wouldn't want to work there anyway.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Judged:

I have been on interviews where I was asked if I had any questions about those things. I always replied that if I was offered the job, it would be then, that I would ask.
If your not gonna offer me the job, I could give a rats ass about your bennies.
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree.
Toj makes a good point, but you said he asked in the SECOND interview, not the first - I think that makes a big difference. Their answer is also very sketchy; I can see how maybe hours and PTO could be "flexible" but they couldn't answer his questions about insurance coverage? That's not something that CAN be flexible, you either have a plan or you don't. And if they do it some other way and reimburse people for out of pocket costs or something, they're walking a fine line of illegal and you wouldn't want to work there anyway.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree.
If they are being hardcore like that I would not want to work there either. Can you imagine asking about a bonus or overtime?!

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Judged:

RACE wrote:
I'm not saying they should not have had the forsight, I am just wondering where your getting the idea that it was intentionally left out?
Besides common sense, are there no state regs involving tornado's? If not, why not? I think if you want to lay blame for the children dying, there is plenty of blame to go around.
<quoted text>
Do you need a government regulation to tel you something that is obvious, meaning that tornados hit OK and in a public building you need a safe space? OK is a place that doesn't like Big Gov't. Seems like they need it. The school was bult 57 years ago at the height of teh Cold War. Bet they had fallout shelter signs, you know , for those Ruski bombs that fell every 10 years or so.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
The tornadoes are just god's punishment for Oklahoma being the first state in the country to offer fully-funded all-day preschool for everybody.
My Grandmother actually said this morning that God must be mad at us because there have been so many natural disasters recently. She wasn't joking. I wanted to throw the phone an don't know why I bothered explaining that she just hears more about them because of the 24 hour media.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Judged:

I wish they'd stop trying to vilify Apple over taxes and instead use that energy to find ways to close the loopholes.

If it's there, Apple (and every company) has a duty to it's shareholders to take advantage of everything they are entitled to/can legally take advantage.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Judged:

ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
My Grandmother actually said this morning that God must be mad at us because there have been so many natural disasters recently. She wasn't joking. I wanted to throw the phone an don't know why I bothered explaining that she just hears more about them because of the 24 hour media.
*sigh*

Yeah, or it's tornado season in tornado alley.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Judged:

Well, if it aint in the specs, and there is no requirement for one and the contract goes to the lowest bidder, who is it exactly that decided not to require one?

You want to blame someone, but the truth is you need to blame everyone.

I have yet to hear any talk of mandating that future schools have them, or of building bunkers at existing ones, so who's fault is that? Who is overlooking the obvious...Everyone that who.

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Do you need a government regulation to tel you something that is obvious, meaning that tornados hit OK and in a public building you need a safe space? OK is a place that doesn't like Big Gov't. Seems like they need it. The school was bult 57 years ago at the height of teh Cold War. Bet they had fallout shelter signs, you know , for those Ruski bombs that fell every 10 years or so.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

RACE wrote:
Well, if it aint in the specs, and there is no requirement for one and the contract goes to the lowest bidder, who is it exactly that decided not to require one?
I have yet to hear any talk of mandating that future schools have them, or of building bunkers at existing ones, so who's fault is that? Who is overlooking the obvious...Everyone that who.
<quoted text>
Well, if you ask me I think the building inspector should have raised a red flag to the city council.

It comes down to the city council not planning.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Interseting article about shelters in Oklahoma and the reason there isn't more:

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive...

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

RACE wrote:
<quoted text>Well, if it aint in the specs, and there is no requirement for one and the contract goes to the lowest bidder, who is it exactly that decided not to require one?

We are also assuming unlimited funds. All of the "safe rooms" that are currently being put into elementary schools in tornado alley are using federal grants for $1 million or so.

Students at this one school died because it was directly in the path of the tornado. The entire school was leveled and the basement flooded. It is amazing that the death toll is as low as it is.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

The building was 57 years old, how many generations of kids that became parents who sent their children went thru that school? Why didnt they complain?

Obviously one was not required, and nobody, and I mean NOBODY said anything to the contrary.

plenty of blame for everyone.

I am not trying to sound heartless, but I think its unfair to try and point a finger at one person or group.
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, if you ask me I think the building inspector should have raised a red flag to the city council.
It comes down to the city council not planning.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Defiition of criminally stupid: being in a town that has a recent history of major tornados and building a school which does not have an underground safe room. The Nat'l Weather Service was warning yesterday that teh only safe place would be underground.
I don't care if it was financial , political, building code cronyism, whatever- there was no underground space to shelter in place in that school, and kids are dead.
If it is not technically criminal, someone made a decision not to dig a hole and that person's name and picture should be plastered all over whatever is left of Moore OK.
Especially when they are talking about the Siren going off for 16-20 minutes prior.....all you need it a secure underground shelter....not that expensive, especially knowing the history.....

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

RACE wrote:
The building was 57 years old, how many generations of kids that became parents who sent their children went thru that school? Why didnt they complain?
Obviously one was not required, and nobody, and I mean NOBODY said anything to the contrary.
plenty of blame for everyone.
I am not trying to sound heartless, but I think its unfair to try and point a finger at one person or group.
<quoted text>
That's a fair way to look at it. And I bet their next school they build has a bunker.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a fair way to look at it. And I bet their next school they build has a bunker.
Bet it doesn't....

Maybe if it was OKC, but from what Shawna tells me, the folks in Moore (average) aren't the sharpest pencils in the drawer.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Toj wrote:
Interseting article about shelters in Oklahoma and the reason there isn't more:
http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive...
Indeed interesting.
Take away points: its expensive and very difficult to build a basement shelter under a house or school structure in Oklahoma given soil and bedrock qualities.

Public shelters are becoming more prevalent but are still rare ... and expensive.

What the article does not say is that digging a hole in the ground that is not underneath a structure sounds cheap, feasible and effective. Old fashioned root cellar anyone?
Frye

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Judged:

You have a reading comprehension problem that can be as bad as edog's. The article neither says nor implies any such thing.
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>

What the article does not say is that digging a hole in the ground that is not underneath a structure sounds cheap, feasible and effective. Old fashioned root cellar anyone?

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed interesting.
Take away points: its expensive and very difficult to build a basement shelter under a house or school structure in Oklahoma given soil and bedrock qualities.
Public shelters are becoming more prevalent but are still rare ... and expensive.
Seriously -- that's what I was thinking. Hole in the ground needing no electricity, water -- only air circulation and perhaps a box to hold emergency supplies like a weather radio, ready-to-eat yucky meals, water, etc.

It does sound like, though, to build any sound structure on clay isn't cheap.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Frye wrote:
You have a reading comprehension problem that can be as bad as edog's. The article neither says nor implies any such thing.
<quoted text>
Huh? That's what she was saying -- the article DID NOT SAY. Am I misunderstanding you, are you purposely being abrasive or is your reading comprehension a problem?

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Frye wrote:
The article neither says nor implies any such thing.
Apparently your reading comprehension is just as bad. She SAID the article didn't say such a thing.

And PE, I don't know what's stuck in your craw. Now apparently all schools should be equipped with fallout shelters in the event of tornado, nuclear war, school shootings, zombie apocalypse.... What happens if they throw everyone in these underground shelters and an earthquake hits? Or a sinkhole opens? For fuksake, my point is, you can't really do much if a school is in the path of an F5 tornado. Maybe we should just build all schools underground and enforced with lead and steal?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 14 min Yeah 1,096,666
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 24 min Learn to Read 176,892
Abby 8-23-14 28 min Pippa 3
Amy 8-23-14 32 min loose cannon 4
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 40 min danetoo 68,310
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr Virus Infected Th... 49,279
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 46,247

Search the Chicago Forum:
•••

Flood Warning for Cook County was issued at August 22 at 8:29PM CDT

•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE