Topix Chitown Regulars

Posted in the Chicago Forum

Comments (Page 4,237)

Showing posts 84,721 - 84,740 of96,071
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#85881
May 21, 2013
 
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
My heart goes out to all of the residents of OK and their families and friends. Hoping that your niece's family is found safe. I had to stop watching the news this morning because it was too overwhelming, especially hearing about the children.
I'm pretty upset about it. My niece (Shawna...the one still here in my house) said he (he's actually a cousin to her daughter) was leaving Norman to go to Moore to get his GF and kids when he heard that it was on the way. None of them have been heard from yet. Shawna said knowing him he would be helping to rescue people. I'm hoping that's all it is.

Samantha, her daughter, is in Norman, but there was a bit of a freak out here for a while since Samantha's best (and other) friend(s) lives in Moore, but she was in Norman and she's safe. My other niece (Tonya, Shawna's sister) lives in Lawton, so she and her kids are a good ways away from it, fortunately.

For the record, we aren't (at all) from OK. Shawna and Tonya moved there as adults and had families.

Shawna (who knows about these things apparently) says she can't understand why they keep rebuilding that town. Apparently it was destroyed several times. <shrug> Yeah, gotta agree with that. I also don't understand why the schools don't have safe rooms/basements.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#85882
May 21, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

RACE wrote:
So, is it any less a crime because it's two girls?
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/florida...
I was going to post something about this. There is conflicting info out among all o the articles about when thy started their relationship (some are saying that Kaitlyn Hunt was 17 when they started dating and her girlfriend's parents waited until he turned 18 to press charges). What seems to be consistent, though, is that they were teammates/peers on the sports team who knew each other before Kaitlyn turned 18 and it was consensual. There is a Romeo and Juliet law in FL that may apply.

The other thing that stands out to me is that two judges ruled that Kaitlyn could finish school and graduate, but her girlfriend's parents appealed to the school board until she was expelled and sent to an alternative high school. That is not the DA just following the law, it is the parents persecuting a teenager.

This does not seem like the imbalance of power that the statutory rape laws are supposed to protect against. Spirit of the law and all that. I have said in the past that I don't think high school boys should be prosecuted for this the day after they turn 18, either.

“suffers from formicophilia ”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#85883
May 21, 2013
 
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>With so many of our counties and municipalities, having real financial problems.....seem's unlikely a District Attorney, would decide this battlke is worthy of the resources.....We need new, more liberal rules for teenagers and consentual sex......
This is the most ridiculous, ludicrous, brainless, moronic, and idiotic thing I've heard in a long time.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#85884
May 21, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

PEllen wrote:
Since the town is in the meddle of a tornado alley and was hit badly in 1999, WTH didn't teh grammar school have a safe room?
The school board/city/council members who voted against it should have their pictures plastered on teh i-net with their "budget" votes against it.
Or the parents who voted against the referendum that would have paid for it can be glad they saved $10 in property taxes.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#85885
May 21, 2013
 

Judged:

2

RACE wrote:
So, is it any less a crime because it's two girls?
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/florida...
I wouldn't think it's a crime if the 18yo were a guy. No crime here. Just two parents who can't accept that their kid is gay and she's sexually active.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#85886
May 21, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
This is the most ridiculous, ludicrous, brainless, moronic, and idiotic thing I've heard in a long time.
If you read your own posts, you couldn't say this.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#85887
May 21, 2013
 
I dont think they make a building that can withstand an F4 or stronger tornado. I do think that schools (and homes/businesses) should be built with an underground bunker that has multiple exit routes.
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm pretty upset about it. My niece (Shawna...the one still here in my house) said he (he's actually a cousin to her daughter) was leaving Norman to go to Moore to get his GF and kids when he heard that it was on the way. None of them have been heard from yet. Shawna said knowing him he would be helping to rescue people. I'm hoping that's all it is.
Samantha, her daughter, is in Norman, but there was a bit of a freak out here for a while since Samantha's best (and other) friend(s) lives in Moore, but she was in Norman and she's safe. My other niece (Tonya, Shawna's sister) lives in Lawton, so she and her kids are a good ways away from it, fortunately.
For the record, we aren't (at all) from OK. Shawna and Tonya moved there as adults and had families.
Shawna (who knows about these things apparently) says she can't understand why they keep rebuilding that town. Apparently it was destroyed several times. <shrug> Yeah, gotta agree with that. I also don't understand why the schools don't have safe rooms/basements.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#85888
May 21, 2013
 

Judged:

1

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't think it's a crime if the 18yo were a guy. No crime here. Just two parents who can't accept that their kid is gay and she's sexually active.
Absolutely....time to face, kid's growing up too soon....Surprised the younger one's parents insist on dragging both thru the mud.....

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#85889
May 21, 2013
 
What I read said that the school was the strongest building in the area, and I did not read anything about a proposal to build a shelter was shot down by anyone.
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Or the parents who voted against the referendum that would have paid for it can be glad they saved $10 in property taxes.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#85890
May 21, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

RACE wrote:
What I read said that the school was the strongest building in the area, and I did not read anything about a proposal to build a shelter was shot down by anyone.
<quoted text>
Defiition of criminally stupid: being in a town that has a recent history of major tornados and building a school which does not have an underground safe room. The Nat'l Weather Service was warning yesterday that teh only safe place would be underground.

I don't care if it was financial , political, building code cronyism, whatever- there was no underground space to shelter in place in that school, and kids are dead.

If it is not technically criminal, someone made a decision not to dig a hole and that person's name and picture should be plastered all over whatever is left of Moore OK.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#85891
May 21, 2013
 

Judged:

1

RACE wrote:
<quoted text>What I read said that the school was the strongest building in the area, and I did not read anything about a proposal to build a shelter was shot down by anyone.
The big controversy around here is that the Senators and Congressmen from OK voted against federal aid for Hurricane Sandy relief or drastically reduced relief. The local media is making a big deal about that and a lot of people are reconsidering their desire to help. I think that is the wrong approach - if anything, we should be showing how generous we can be because we understand what the people are going through better than the politicians.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#85892
May 21, 2013
 
From what I could stand to read, 7 children appearantly drowned in the basement of one of the schools, so it seems there was an underground place, but clearly not a very safe one.

I also read about another family that also had water coming up into their storm shelter.

Very distressing to think that your safe place isn't really safe.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#85893
May 21, 2013
 
How do you know this? Do the other schools have tornado bunkers? What if nobody ever even considered tornado's when designing/ planning the school?
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
If it is not technically criminal, someone made a decision not to dig a hole and that person's name and picture should be plastered all over whatever is left of Moore OK.

“suffers from formicophilia ”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#85894
May 21, 2013
 

Judged:

1

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't think it's a crime if the 18yo were a guy. No crime here. Just two parents who can't accept that their kid is gay and she's sexually active.
Did you miss the part where the other girl was FIFTEEN?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#85895
May 21, 2013
 
RACE wrote:
I dont think they make a building that can withstand an F4 or stronger tornado. I do think that schools (and homes/businesses) should be built with an underground bunker that has multiple exit routes.
<quoted text>
ITA.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#85896
May 21, 2013
 
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>How do you know this? Do the other schools have tornado bunkers? What if nobody ever even considered tornado's when designing/ planning the school?
From what I can find, the school was built 57 years ago.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#85897
May 21, 2013
 
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you miss the part where the other girl was FIFTEEN?
Yup. And not all 15yos are the same. I was sexually active at 15 (but not yet having actual intercourse). I had a healthy attitude about it and a loving boyfriend who never pushed me to do anything.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#85898
May 21, 2013
 

Judged:

2

RACE wrote:
How do you know this? Do the other schools have tornado bunkers? What if nobody ever even considered tornado's when designing/ planning the school?
<quoted text>
If they didn't consider it, they shouldn't be in the job of designing and planning. Being in that field myself, there is NO excuse. When we are designing buildings and complex campus projects, we take into account the freeze line (so we now how far down stuff should be buried), amount of sunshine that location gets (so we know whether solar panels will make sense), lightning strikes per year (so we know whether to do lightning protection), the electrical conductivity of the soil (which takes a toll on metal objects), etc.

To not take into account that they live in Tornado Alley was malpractice.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#85899
May 21, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>Did you miss the part where the other girl was FIFTEEN?

If you put a group of 15 - 18 year old high school girls together, some would obviously stand out as the oldest and youngest, but most of them would be pretty indistinguishable from each other.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#85900
May 21, 2013
 

Judged:

1

ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
The big controversy around here is that the Senators and Congressmen from OK voted against federal aid for Hurricane Sandy relief or drastically reduced relief. The local media is making a big deal about that and a lot of people are reconsidering their desire to help. I think that is the wrong approach - if anything, we should be showing how generous we can be because we understand what the people are going through better than the politicians.
Oklahoma is the most conservative state in the union, so it doesn't surprise me that they were opposed to federal dollars going to the East Coast for hurricane relief... but then they shouldn't ACCEPT federal dollars, either.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 84,721 - 84,740 of96,071
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

56 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Tinka 1,033,278
Who Dodged the SHOE Better? 10 min ThomasA 17
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 17 min ritedownthemiddle 42,959
Song Title Game (Dec '11) 35 min SLY WEST 1,020
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 47 min _Zoey_ 4,026
Music Artists A to Z 48 min _Zoey_ 90
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 52 min Poppo 167,498
Abby 4-17 54 min Mister Tonka 31
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••