Comments
84,701 - 84,720 of 97,938 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#85890 May 21, 2013
RACE wrote:
What I read said that the school was the strongest building in the area, and I did not read anything about a proposal to build a shelter was shot down by anyone.
<quoted text>
Defiition of criminally stupid: being in a town that has a recent history of major tornados and building a school which does not have an underground safe room. The Nat'l Weather Service was warning yesterday that teh only safe place would be underground.

I don't care if it was financial , political, building code cronyism, whatever- there was no underground space to shelter in place in that school, and kids are dead.

If it is not technically criminal, someone made a decision not to dig a hole and that person's name and picture should be plastered all over whatever is left of Moore OK.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#85891 May 21, 2013
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>What I read said that the school was the strongest building in the area, and I did not read anything about a proposal to build a shelter was shot down by anyone.
The big controversy around here is that the Senators and Congressmen from OK voted against federal aid for Hurricane Sandy relief or drastically reduced relief. The local media is making a big deal about that and a lot of people are reconsidering their desire to help. I think that is the wrong approach - if anything, we should be showing how generous we can be because we understand what the people are going through better than the politicians.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#85892 May 21, 2013
From what I could stand to read, 7 children appearantly drowned in the basement of one of the schools, so it seems there was an underground place, but clearly not a very safe one.

I also read about another family that also had water coming up into their storm shelter.

Very distressing to think that your safe place isn't really safe.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#85893 May 21, 2013
How do you know this? Do the other schools have tornado bunkers? What if nobody ever even considered tornado's when designing/ planning the school?
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
If it is not technically criminal, someone made a decision not to dig a hole and that person's name and picture should be plastered all over whatever is left of Moore OK.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#85894 May 21, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't think it's a crime if the 18yo were a guy. No crime here. Just two parents who can't accept that their kid is gay and she's sexually active.
Did you miss the part where the other girl was FIFTEEN?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#85895 May 21, 2013
RACE wrote:
I dont think they make a building that can withstand an F4 or stronger tornado. I do think that schools (and homes/businesses) should be built with an underground bunker that has multiple exit routes.
<quoted text>
ITA.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#85896 May 21, 2013
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>How do you know this? Do the other schools have tornado bunkers? What if nobody ever even considered tornado's when designing/ planning the school?
From what I can find, the school was built 57 years ago.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#85897 May 21, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you miss the part where the other girl was FIFTEEN?
Yup. And not all 15yos are the same. I was sexually active at 15 (but not yet having actual intercourse). I had a healthy attitude about it and a loving boyfriend who never pushed me to do anything.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#85898 May 21, 2013
RACE wrote:
How do you know this? Do the other schools have tornado bunkers? What if nobody ever even considered tornado's when designing/ planning the school?
<quoted text>
If they didn't consider it, they shouldn't be in the job of designing and planning. Being in that field myself, there is NO excuse. When we are designing buildings and complex campus projects, we take into account the freeze line (so we now how far down stuff should be buried), amount of sunshine that location gets (so we know whether solar panels will make sense), lightning strikes per year (so we know whether to do lightning protection), the electrical conductivity of the soil (which takes a toll on metal objects), etc.

To not take into account that they live in Tornado Alley was malpractice.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#85899 May 21, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>Did you miss the part where the other girl was FIFTEEN?

If you put a group of 15 - 18 year old high school girls together, some would obviously stand out as the oldest and youngest, but most of them would be pretty indistinguishable from each other.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#85900 May 21, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
The big controversy around here is that the Senators and Congressmen from OK voted against federal aid for Hurricane Sandy relief or drastically reduced relief. The local media is making a big deal about that and a lot of people are reconsidering their desire to help. I think that is the wrong approach - if anything, we should be showing how generous we can be because we understand what the people are going through better than the politicians.
Oklahoma is the most conservative state in the union, so it doesn't surprise me that they were opposed to federal dollars going to the East Coast for hurricane relief... but then they shouldn't ACCEPT federal dollars, either.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#85901 May 21, 2013
The tornadoes are just god's punishment for Oklahoma being the first state in the country to offer fully-funded all-day preschool for everybody.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#85902 May 21, 2013
RACE wrote:
How do you know this? Do the other schools have tornado bunkers? What if nobody ever even considered tornado's when designing/ planning the school?
<quoted text>
Right. Like Oklahoma never had tornados in this area before 1955.

C'mon Race- the need for an underground storm shelter in a tornado prone area was a cultural meme when the Wizard of Oz movie came out.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#85903 May 21, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
So my niece has a cousin, his gf and their 2 kids missing in the tornado in Oklahoma. They aren't related to me, but still...
Sorry to hear that. That whole area -- horrible what happened to everyone there.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#85904 May 21, 2013
Friend/former coworker asked me to be a reference for a job he's interviewing for. Sure, no problem. Glad to do it.

He emailed me today. He didn't get it, despite being very qualified, a hard worker, and got through the first round of interviews. In the second round, he apparently asked for some info re: their benefits package, and for each aspect (vacation time, sick time, health insurance, dental insurance, core work hours, etc.), he was told "It's flexible." Nothing concrete.

So after the second interview, he interviewed the HR person he'd met with to ask for some info, and he was told that he was not going to be hired b/c he was more interested in his own personal financial gain than in the actual job and doing the work.

We both think he dodged a bullet.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#85905 May 21, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Friend/former coworker asked me to be a reference for a job he's interviewing for. Sure, no problem. Glad to do it.
He emailed me today. He didn't get it, despite being very qualified, a hard worker, and got through the first round of interviews. In the second round, he apparently asked for some info re: their benefits package, and for each aspect (vacation time, sick time, health insurance, dental insurance, core work hours, etc.), he was told "It's flexible." Nothing concrete.
So after the second interview, he interviewed the HR person he'd met with to ask for some info, and he was told that he was not going to be hired b/c he was more interested in his own personal financial gain than in the actual job and doing the work.
We both think he dodged a bullet.
He probably did dodge a bullet.

However, I would never ask about vacation and/or sick time in an interview. Core work hours -- yes so you know about transportation. Insurance plans I would not bring up until the final interview after they ask me if I accept the job and then I would ask about sick/vacation and whatnot. If I needed time to compare that kind of stuff once I had knowledge, I would tell them I wanted to sleep on it overnight.

It's something I learned many years ago.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#85906 May 21, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Right. Like Oklahoma never had tornados in this area before 1955.
C'mon Race- the need for an underground storm shelter in a tornado prone area was a cultural meme when the Wizard of Oz movie came out.
I have to agree with you PEllen. They knew. Also, you CAN build a saferoom after a building is already up. People do build them after the fact.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#85907 May 21, 2013
RACE wrote:
I dont think they make a building that can withstand an F4 or stronger tornado. I do think that schools (and homes/businesses) should be built with an underground bunker that has multiple exit routes.
<quoted text>
True I guess. I do think they need some sort of underground safe place to go. It's freaking Oklahoma. Tornados are NOT a rare thing there.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#85908 May 21, 2013
I'm not saying they should not have had the forsight, I am just wondering where your getting the idea that it was intentionally left out?
Besides common sense, are there no state regs involving tornado's? If not, why not? I think if you want to lay blame for the children dying, there is plenty of blame to go around.

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Right. Like Oklahoma never had tornados in this area before 1955.
C'mon Race- the need for an underground storm shelter in a tornado prone area was a cultural meme when the Wizard of Oz movie came out.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#85909 May 21, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
If you put a group of 15 - 18 year old high school girls together, some would obviously stand out as the oldest and youngest, but most of them would be pretty indistinguishable from each other.
So? Should that negate the age of consent?

And should we encourage or discourage fifteen year olds being sexually active?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 3 min TRD 68,379
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Incognito4Ever 1,100,505
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 25 min newpoly 1,910
Word (Dec '08) 45 min andet1987 4,656
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 47 min Jacques from Ottawa 177,408
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr Rick Moss 68,994
ISIS Plans to Blow Up an Entire American City a... 2 hr Heisenberg 44
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••