Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#85725 May 16, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
There's no right answer, but I'm all about complete sanitization. Like, delete him as a Facebook friend, too. It's never going to not suck, seeing him all happy with someone else, so why torture yourself? You can be friends that catch up via phone or email once in a while, without having FB updates shoved at you all the time. JMHO...
You're not the first one to say this, but believe it or not, it doesn't really suck anymore to see FB updates. Part of the reason I've kept him as a FB friend is to use it as a litmus test to see how I was doing. And there's not a constant bombardment of stuff, but nothing has really SUCKED since the Denver thing (mid-March). Each thing after that has elicited less and less of a reaction from me and I really think I'm okay now.

Jasper's birthday is Memorial Day and it's a big one so I definitely want to acknowledge it.*IF* I call him, it won't be on the day of, or I might just send an e-card. I do want to talk to him and I'm at 95% certainty that I could handle it and be fine. I don't know if I'll ever get to 100% without trying.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#85726 May 16, 2013
So... I have a problem.

I have ants. More specifically, my apartment has ants. I don't do well with bugs, including harmless, clean little tiny sugar/oil/grease ants.

I'm sure they're coming up from the basement now that it's warm out and their nests are stirring and looking for food. They're on my bedroom floor but I can't always see them -- they run along the black groves between the floorboards. I only see 2-3 at a time and I get 'em with TP and kill/flush 'em. But last night I found them in the dining room, too -- the same wall my bedroom shares. It's not an infestation -- I only see a few at a time, and I'll see maybe 1-3 in random places in the dining room, and I get 'em, but las tnight, I just started vacuuming them. Then I had to clean my entire kitchen floor and find a new home far away for the cat food bowls, b/c if the ants find the cat food, I'm eft.

I bought two kinds of ant poison today, and I need to go to the basement to see if I can put some where the ants are coming into my place.

I hate this.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#85727 May 16, 2013
NWmoon wrote:
<quoted text> Idaho, although who the heck wants to go there?
This.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#85728 May 16, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
So... I have a problem.
I have ants. More specifically, my apartment has ants. I don't do well with bugs, including harmless, clean little tiny sugar/oil/grease ants.
I'm sure they're coming up from the basement now that it's warm out and their nests are stirring and looking for food. They're on my bedroom floor but I can't always see them -- they run along the black groves between the floorboards. I only see 2-3 at a time and I get 'em with TP and kill/flush 'em. But last night I found them in the dining room, too -- the same wall my bedroom shares. It's not an infestation -- I only see a few at a time, and I'll see maybe 1-3 in random places in the dining room, and I get 'em, but las tnight, I just started vacuuming them. Then I had to clean my entire kitchen floor and find a new home far away for the cat food bowls, b/c if the ants find the cat food, I'm eft.
I bought two kinds of ant poison today, and I need to go to the basement to see if I can put some where the ants are coming into my place.
I hate this.
Exterminator. I have the same issue, only it's spiders. Ick.

Miami, FL

#85729 May 16, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
So... I have a problem.
I hate this.
What kind of poison did you get? The little ant motels or spray?

Location hidden

#85730 May 16, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
What kind of poison did you get? The little ant motels or spray?
I got the liquid terro stuff for the basement, but b/c of the cats, I also got roach motel type things for ants that I can put where the cats go.
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#85731 May 16, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
So... I have a problem.
I hate this.
I suddenly got them last fall (they are gone now). The Raid ant thing helped, along with laying out bay leaves. Also, use bleach cleaner if you can (it kills the scent they use as a trail to get to and from where they are going). Even the cleanest homes get these. The one thing I read that is supposed to work (I never did it because the baits and the bay leaves did the trick) is to mix boric acid (Borax) with something like jam or honey. Get some masking tape and stick it to wherever you are getting them and put the boric acid/jam mixture on the top. They will eat it and go away and die from the boric acid (and, I think but I am not sure, they bring the acid back to the nests on their feet). Look it up on line for more detail, but supposedly it works. Like I said, though, I used a bunch of Raid baits and bay leaves and they are gone. I had my tape ready, though!!!
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#85732 May 16, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Exterminator. I have the same issue, only it's spiders. Ick.
Last week my daughter found a dying palmetto bug in her bathroom on its back squirming. Gross! But if it was dying, I know the exterminator's stuff was at least working SOME! Sure enough, next day the bug guy calls to tell me it's time to be sprayed. That happens every time he is due to come without fail! One of those nasty things "breaks through" and the bug guy calls to tell me it's time!!!

I get shivers just THINKING about palmetto bugs. ICK!

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#85733 May 16, 2013
Terro works great on sugar ants, and you dont have to go to the basement. Just put it on the cardboard and place it where you see the ants. Once the find it, you will see hundreds of them swarming the poison, and being the good little creatures they are, they take it back to their queen, and kills the entire colony.

Fairly common thing here.

Grease ants are another story. I bought some stuff that is supposed to kill both (terro not work on grease ants), but the ants ignored that stuff too. However.....
If you place a tiny piece of catfood on the cardboard, let them get started, you can then drizzle the poison on top of the catfood, and they will just keep at it.
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
So... I have a problem.
I hate this.

Since: Aug 09

Milwaukee, WI

#85734 May 16, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I got the liquid terro stuff for the basement, but b/c of the cats, I also got roach motel type things for ants that I can put where the cats go.
Yes, In my experience, the terro liquid is the best.(Now keep in mind there are thousands of different kinds of ants - and they feed on different kinds of things).

But if you are talking about the little brown sweet eating ones - this is the time of year that thousands of them all hatch. so they can come out of nowhere. It doesn't do any good for you to kill individual ants.

but with the terro-type product - they don't die right away. They take it and bring it back to their nests. And ants have a way of leaving a trace where they have been - so you will see dozens of ants feeding on the liquid once one ant has found it. Then they will all bring it back and kill off the colony.

Now, I don't know about the cats.(I suppose you could put it in a plastic cup and put a couple holes in it for the ants to get in/out - but not the cats. But you do need at least one ant to find your trap first. Even if you have to catch an ant on a piece of paper and make sure it finds your "treat")

Now black ants are meat eaters - and there may be other methods for them. they usually like to get old dead bugs and stuff. Some are wood -eaters - and may indicate a wood-rot problem (like termites).

but if it is a brown ant infestation - try the terro.(You likely have multiple colonies so it may take a few applications to get them.(I speak from some experience - we've got them right now too - we get them when the weather warms up. I killed off one colony and am dealing with a second one right now). I expect it to take a few days more.

Since: Aug 09

Milwaukee, WI

#85735 May 16, 2013
and i noticed that Race answered just what i did while i was composing my answer. (Although his answer was more concise)

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

#85736 May 16, 2013
wtih the boric acid (Borax), watch that it doesn't stain/bleachstuff. i used a mix in my back yard - had several large ant "hills" - and it killed hte grass too. now the weeds are taking over, so ant hills are a lesser problem.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#85737 May 16, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
You're not the first one to say this, but believe it or not, it doesn't really suck anymore to see FB updates. Part of the reason I've kept him as a FB friend is to use it as a litmus test to see how I was doing. And there's not a constant bombardment of stuff, but nothing has really SUCKED since the Denver thing (mid-March). Each thing after that has elicited less and less of a reaction from me and I really think I'm okay now.
Jasper's birthday is Memorial Day and it's a big one so I definitely want to acknowledge it.*IF* I call him, it won't be on the day of, or I might just send an e-card. I do want to talk to him and I'm at 95% certainty that I could handle it and be fine. I don't know if I'll ever get to 100% without trying.
Eh, I'm glad for you. I know I couldn't deal with FB with an ex. You seem to be doing well with it.:-D

I had to find my college diploma for my work visa, don't know if I posted about that, but I basically tore my house apart a few weeks back. Found all my pictures and mementos from my only other LTR, the guy I dated from 20 to 27, G. I didn't throw anything out, but I think I'm going to, now that I know where everything is and it's been labeled.

Location hidden

#85738 May 16, 2013
Thanks for the tips, people. I bought the terro stuff and the safer stuff for pets/kids in the house and will put them all out tonight. I am glad I made the effort of cleaning my kitchen floor and moving cat food bowls to a portable cabinet at the other end of the kitchen last night.

I also know I need to plug the holes they're using to get into my place (they do seem to be coming in at certain points. But like a coworker said, use the poison first so it gets back to their nest.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#85739 May 16, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
So... I have a problem.
I hate this.
We have them at the moment, too. Watch in the cat food bowl. We have to put the cat bowls in a largers pasta plate with water to create a moat or else they go right to it.
I have been using ant traps from Home Depot and spraying the crevices at times when the cats are not there.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#85740 May 16, 2013
When I had ants, I used the crevice spray raid around the perimeter inside and out and then used the ant bait motel thingies that are suppose to kill the colony.

It worked.

Location hidden

#85741 May 16, 2013
I found a GREAT site. Talcum powder is lethal to them, so I can put that in my vacuum then vacuum 'em up to kill them (not my solution, just a temporary clean up thing). I also can put my cat food bowls onto a platter/plate covered with talcum to keep the ants out of that.
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#85742 May 16, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I found a GREAT site. Talcum powder is lethal to them, so I can put that in my vacuum then vacuum 'em up to kill them (not my solution, just a temporary clean up thing). I also can put my cat food bowls onto a platter/plate covered with talcum to keep the ants out of that.
Great tip!

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#85743 May 16, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Use ant spray around their points of entry. And use chalk around the food bowls. The sidewalk chalk the kids use. Ants won't cross a line of chalk for some reason.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#85744 May 16, 2013
NWmoon wrote:
I think y'all are just jealous that you have to do it yourself, and are generally paying more for it at the same time.
Right, because we prefer to be coddled. No one should have to do anything for themselves. If you use the restrooms in these gas stations, is there an attendant to wipe your @zz too?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 4 min southern Illinois... 50,039
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 10 min Earthling-1 47,005
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 43 min RoxLo 1,115,129
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 45 min JOEL 69,495
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 45 min Mandela 68,560
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr loose cannon 178,586
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 2 hr RACE 639

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]