Comments
84,501 - 84,520 of 97,932 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#85685 May 15, 2013
Here's a parking snafu:

My friends lived on a residential street, parking was allowed on the northbound side, but not on the southbound side. Signs were posted about this. One day, people come home from work/class and see that their cars all have tickets.

Turns out, the city changed the rules as to which side of the street to park on, changed the signs that day, ticketed every car. My friend S took his ticket to city hall to protest it. The clerk said "Well didn't you read the signs?" S: "I read those signs five years ago when I moved into the house. Why would I re-read them? Why would anyone think they had changed?"

Then S: "Why didn't you put notices on our cars so we'd know to park on the other side of the street?"

Clerk: that's a lot of work to do that!

S: How is that any more time consuming than ticketing every car on the street?

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#85686 May 15, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Here's a parking snafu:
My friends lived on a residential street, parking was allowed on the northbound side, but not on the southbound side. Signs were posted about this. One day, people come home from work/class and see that their cars all have tickets.
Turns out, the city changed the rules as to which side of the street to park on, changed the signs that day, ticketed every car. My friend S took his ticket to city hall to protest it. The clerk said "Well didn't you read the signs?" S: "I read those signs five years ago when I moved into the house. Why would I re-read them? Why would anyone think they had changed?"
Then S: "Why didn't you put notices on our cars so we'd know to park on the other side of the street?"
Where I park for my classes is all metered parking. I think there's like a 25 min max on the meters. Unless you have one of those cool handy dandy blue hanggy things, then you can park all day for free...and get dirty looks from people when you go back to you car at the end of six hours. <shrug>

I took my sister to court a couple weeks ago. There's street parking IF you can find a spot. I said screw it and parked in the lot. I didn't know it was a city lot so I was stressing because by the time we got done it was going to cost me like $10.00. Soooo I was all prepared to pay when the attendant told me it was free with the handy dandy blue hanggy thing. Score.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#85687 May 15, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Where I park for my classes is all metered parking. I think there's like a 25 min max on the meters. Unless you have one of those cool handy dandy blue hanggy things, then you can park all day for free...and get dirty looks from people when you go back to you car at the end of six hours. <shrug>
I took my sister to court a couple weeks ago. There's street parking IF you can find a spot. I said screw it and parked in the lot. I didn't know it was a city lot so I was stressing because by the time we got done it was going to cost me like $10.00. Soooo I was all prepared to pay when the attendant told me it was free with the handy dandy blue hanggy thing. Score.
You mean the handicapped thing?

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#85688 May 15, 2013
Thats stupid. What if they had simply notified each person who parked that the meter was ready to expire? There is no difference.

Thats like those stupid red light cameras. The city counsel all touts them as a safety measure, gets people to obey the red lights. 6 months later you read how the counsel is upset because the cameras are not generating the revenue promised, and blames the camera folk for not hiding the cameras better. Of course that goes totally against their argument that the cameras will make peeps more mindful, because thats exactly what it did, So the fact that peeps were obeying the law was not a bad thing because they were not breaking the law and running the light.
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>It is intentional interference with a financia expectation. You cit expects to get parking ticket money and teh meter maid ( or whatever) is stressed because she won't make her quota.
Sounds good to me (brakkkk6997)

Neda, stay with me!

#85689 May 15, 2013
now a bad thing
not not a bad thing

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Des Plaines, IL

#85690 May 15, 2013
re red light cameras as money makers- theres one town by me that has it all about the benjamins and isn;t even playing the "its all about safety" PR game... theres one camera in town, and the most accident-prone intersection doesn;t. it's still hte most accident prone intersection according to the recent annyual analysis. i don't think the intersetion w/ the camera is even top 5 pre OR post camera installation...<sigh>

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#85691 May 15, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean the handicapped thing?
Yeah. Don't have to pump my own gas either. I *do* but I *could* make the gas station do it.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#85692 May 16, 2013

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#85693 May 16, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah. Don't have to pump my own gas either. I *do* but I *could* make the gas station do it.
I believe there are still several states, where you aren't allowed to pump your own gas.....

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#85694 May 16, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>I believe there are still several states, where you aren't allowed to pump your own gas.....
Just NJ and Oregon

Neda, stay with me!

#85695 May 16, 2013
Yeah, apparently theirs something in the water that dumbs them down to the point where their a danger to themselves and everyone else if they try. I hear that they actually have to hire gas station attendants from out of state, because they are unaffected by the "Stupidity germ" lurking in the local water.
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
Just NJ and Oregon

Miami, FL

#85696 May 16, 2013
So you guys know how I can't stand Facebook drama, but I have a question that relates a little bit.

I noticed recently that Jasper has sanitized his Facebook page of all pictures of us/me (there weren't a ton to begin with... he just doesn't have that many pics). When he moved, I did something kind of similar: I made the albums from our vacations private (visible to me only), except for the one from the cruise last year because other friends were on that trip with us. But I left "mobile uploads" alone so there are some pictures of us there too.

A few months ago, I took down the pictures of us that I had in my bedroom, but I still have 2 little fridge magnet pics up in the kitchen.

Should I sanitize completely on either FB or at home? I'm more inclined to take down the fridge magnets than I am FB pics.

Miami, FL

#85697 May 16, 2013
P.S. It doesn't bother me that Jasper sanitized FB. PMS probably asked him to do it and my initial reaction was that it's a little immature, like trying to pretend the past didn't happen, but it doesn't affect my life so whatever.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#85698 May 16, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
So you guys know how I can't stand Facebook drama, but I have a question that relates a little bit.
I noticed recently that Jasper has sanitized his Facebook page of all pictures of us/me (there weren't a ton to begin with... he just doesn't have that many pics). When he moved, I did something kind of similar: I made the albums from our vacations private (visible to me only), except for the one from the cruise last year because other friends were on that trip with us. But I left "mobile uploads" alone so there are some pictures of us there too.
A few months ago, I took down the pictures of us that I had in my bedroom, but I still have 2 little fridge magnet pics up in the kitchen.
Should I sanitize completely on either FB or at home? I'm more inclined to take down the fridge magnets than I am FB pics.
You should go with your inclination.

Since: Aug 09

Milwaukee, WI

#85699 May 16, 2013
PEllen wrote:
The only thing people in IL get a deal on is a volume discount for governors in (ahem) public housing.
Ha - that would be funny (if it weren't so true)

Milwaukee, WI

#85700 May 16, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll jump in here - we went last Thanksgiving.
My mom did a lot of on-line research and the best deal she found was with Undercover Tourist dot com. We purchased a three-day pass (not a hopper) and got the fourth day free and it was roughly $1000 for 2 adults and 2 children. The hopper pass costs extra, but that allows you to go from one theme park to another in the same day. With the tickets we got, you had to stay at the same park all day, which was fine with us.
I have no info on hotels; we stayed at mom's time-share.
I'm sure the FL folks will be more help.
And it's good to see you again!
thanks, we'll check it out. I think my wife found a great place to stay - someone who knows someone who has a condo/timeshare that we can rent (and they've stayed there themselves, so have heard good things)

Milwaukee, WI

#85701 May 16, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Here's a parking snafu:
Wow, that's bold.(I hope no one from Milwaukee is reading this - because it will give them ideas)

Glad to hear that Milwaukee isn't the only city that seems to relish ticketing everyone - and then wondering how they can get more people to come downtown.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#85702 May 16, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>I believe there are still several states, where you aren't allowed to pump your own gas.....
Yeah in Oregon and New Jersey only I believe, but here at least, and I think in most states (Cali also IIFR) if you have a disability placard, and there is more than one person working at the gas station, then you can require them to pump your gas for you at no higher rate than self-serve.

There is a mini/full service gas station by my house. They're the only ones left that I know of, and their prices are within a few cents of everyone else, so I go there a lot. Not because I can't pump, because I don't like doing it.

There are a lot of other stations that have more than one person working at any given time, but I never take advantage of that because I *can* pump it, just don't like to and I'm not going to be a bitch and make some kid come pump my gas just because I'm on a power trip or something. <shrug>

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#85703 May 16, 2013
WhoIs_JohnGalt wrote:
<quoted text>
thanks, we'll check it out. I think my wife found a great place to stay - someone who knows someone who has a condo/timeshare that we can rent (and they've stayed there themselves, so have heard good things)
That's great! Having your own kitchen can save a lot of money. When we got in, our first stop was at Publix (which is an awesome grocery store, you FL peeps) and got lunch makings and dinners for the week. We packed sandwiches every day and it was really great to just eat when we need to, no waiting in lines (except at Epcot, where we wanted to try some of the ethic foods) and I didn't do any math on it, but I'm sure it saved us hundreds of dollars.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#85704 May 16, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
*I* think you do whatever you feel comfortable doing. If you want to sanitize, if it makes you feel better, if it helps with your healing process, do it, if not don't. I don't think there's a particular formula.

You guys may or may not realize ('cause everyone is so into keeping track of the minutiae of my life) was the third anniversary of the day Christopher died. I am fine with looking at his pictures, and posting them on Facebook, but when someone else does it, it unnerves me.

For example a while back I asked my sister to NOT do it because it would shock me to not be expecting them and then BAM there they were.*I* could do it but no one else. That was my "formula." If that makes sense. She asked me the other day if she could post pics of him again (nice that she asked...really) and I said yes. Yesterday she did. Nope, still can't handle it. So, you know, you need to do whatever helps you deal.

I hope this made some sort of sense. No coffee yet. HEading to Starbucks soon though. Yay!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Incognito4Ever 1,100,164
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 16 min SpaceBlues 46,313
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 25 min Dale 177,372
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr voice of peace 68,367
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 2 hr JOEL 68,977
Review: Anthony D S Grill (Jan '14) 2 hr peter osterman 7
Abby 8-29 3 hr Julie 10
Amy 8-29 5 hr Kuuipo 13
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search