“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#85702 May 16, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>I believe there are still several states, where you aren't allowed to pump your own gas.....
Yeah in Oregon and New Jersey only I believe, but here at least, and I think in most states (Cali also IIFR) if you have a disability placard, and there is more than one person working at the gas station, then you can require them to pump your gas for you at no higher rate than self-serve.

There is a mini/full service gas station by my house. They're the only ones left that I know of, and their prices are within a few cents of everyone else, so I go there a lot. Not because I can't pump, because I don't like doing it.

There are a lot of other stations that have more than one person working at any given time, but I never take advantage of that because I *can* pump it, just don't like to and I'm not going to be a bitch and make some kid come pump my gas just because I'm on a power trip or something. <shrug>

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#85703 May 16, 2013
WhoIs_JohnGalt wrote:
<quoted text>
thanks, we'll check it out. I think my wife found a great place to stay - someone who knows someone who has a condo/timeshare that we can rent (and they've stayed there themselves, so have heard good things)
That's great! Having your own kitchen can save a lot of money. When we got in, our first stop was at Publix (which is an awesome grocery store, you FL peeps) and got lunch makings and dinners for the week. We packed sandwiches every day and it was really great to just eat when we need to, no waiting in lines (except at Epcot, where we wanted to try some of the ethic foods) and I didn't do any math on it, but I'm sure it saved us hundreds of dollars.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#85704 May 16, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
So you guys know how I can't stand Facebook drama, but I have a question that relates a little bit.
I noticed recently that Jasper has sanitized his Facebook page of all pictures of us/me (there weren't a ton to begin with... he just doesn't have that many pics). When he moved, I did something kind of similar: I made the albums from our vacations private (visible to me only), except for the one from the cruise last year because other friends were on that trip with us. But I left "mobile uploads" alone so there are some pictures of us there too.
A few months ago, I took down the pictures of us that I had in my bedroom, but I still have 2 little fridge magnet pics up in the kitchen.
Should I sanitize completely on either FB or at home? I'm more inclined to take down the fridge magnets than I am FB pics.
*I* think you do whatever you feel comfortable doing. If you want to sanitize, if it makes you feel better, if it helps with your healing process, do it, if not don't. I don't think there's a particular formula.

You guys may or may not realize ('cause everyone is so into keeping track of the minutiae of my life) was the third anniversary of the day Christopher died. I am fine with looking at his pictures, and posting them on Facebook, but when someone else does it, it unnerves me.

For example a while back I asked my sister to NOT do it because it would shock me to not be expecting them and then BAM there they were.*I* could do it but no one else. That was my "formula." If that makes sense. She asked me the other day if she could post pics of him again (nice that she asked...really) and I said yes. Yesterday she did. Nope, still can't handle it. So, you know, you need to do whatever helps you deal.

I hope this made some sort of sense. No coffee yet. HEading to Starbucks soon though. Yay!

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#85705 May 16, 2013
Heh. A bunch of our engineers went to a vendor presentation outside the company yesterday. This vendor makes sensors for ductwork to detect certain compounds, organic chemicals, volatile substances, dangerous stuff, etc. They have one in their restrooms at their facility so people can see how it works, how it detects particles in the air.

And in the men's room is a white board where the guys keep track of who has gotten the highest readouts from the sensor. They are bragging.:)

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#85706 May 16, 2013
Is anyone familiar with Boston? I mean familiar as in where are reliable, clean, inexpensive, hotels, in safe neighborhoods, that won't give me bedbugs?

Not for immediately, but maybe around January. My SIL is moving to America today and I want to go see her (after Christmas...after she has time to settle in/acclimate/etc) but don't want to stay at their house.

She's fine, I love her to death, but it's a small apartment and her husband is a douchebag and I don't think I can do the "pretend to like him because it really doesn't matter for only a few days once every three years family harmony" thing if I'm staying with them. <shrug>

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#85707 May 16, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Heh. A bunch of our engineers went to a vendor presentation outside the company yesterday. This vendor makes sensors for ductwork to detect certain compounds, organic chemicals, volatile substances, dangerous stuff, etc. They have one in their restrooms at their facility so people can see how it works, how it detects particles in the air.
And in the men's room is a white board where the guys keep track of who has gotten the highest readouts from the sensor. They are bragging.:)
LOL guys...it's always a dick-measuring contest.

Plus que les choses changent, plus elles restent les mÍmes.
(The more things change...the more they stay the same)

Miami, FL

#85708 May 16, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
*I* think you do whatever you feel comfortable doing. If you want to sanitize, if it makes you feel better, if it helps with your healing process, do it, if not don't. I don't think there's a particular formula.
You guys may or may not realize ('cause everyone is so into keeping track of the minutiae of my life) was the third anniversary of the day Christopher died. I am fine with looking at his pictures, and posting them on Facebook, but when someone else does it, it unnerves me.
For example a while back I asked my sister to NOT do it because it would shock me to not be expecting them and then BAM there they were.*I* could do it but no one else. That was my "formula." If that makes sense. She asked me the other day if she could post pics of him again (nice that she asked...really) and I said yes. Yesterday she did. Nope, still can't handle it. So, you know, you need to do whatever helps you deal.
I hope this made some sort of sense. No coffee yet. HEading to Starbucks soon though. Yay!
That TOTALLY makes sense what you're saying about pictures of Chris. And {hugs}.

My thought process at this point is less about my own healing process and more about respect for the guy I'm dating. I kind of think the fridge pics should go, but he's BFFs with his ex-girlfriend (who's married now and it's been many years, blah blah blah) so... I'm still deciding.

Miami, FL

#85709 May 16, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
Is anyone familiar with Boston? I mean familiar as in where are reliable, clean, inexpensive, hotels, in safe neighborhoods, that won't give me bedbugs?
Not for immediately, but maybe around January. My SIL is moving to America today and I want to go see her (after Christmas...after she has time to settle in/acclimate/etc) but don't want to stay at their house.
She's fine, I love her to death, but it's a small apartment and her husband is a douchebag and I don't think I can do the "pretend to like him because it really doesn't matter for only a few days once every three years family harmony" thing if I'm staying with them. <shrug>
You should be fine anywhere downtown. I've heard people compare Boston to Chicago and I kind of see it... especially compared to NYC. It's a fun town full of history and shopping and stuff and I guess you're used to the cold so that won't matter. ;) They have a decent train system too.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#85710 May 16, 2013
Well, I guess the pre tarted-up Merida beach towels I just bought won't become collector items after all.

Good.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/sexy...

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#85711 May 16, 2013
In that case, just add new pics to your existing ones until you feel its right to dump the old ones.

Its a process, just like a death. I never understood why some peeps feel its their duty to clean out someone elses house after a spouse dies or to gently hint to the remaining spouse that it should be done. I would tell them to get the F* out.
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
That TOTALLY makes sense what you're saying about pictures of Chris. And {hugs}.
My thought process at this point is less about my own healing process and more about respect for the guy I'm dating. I kind of think the fridge pics should go, but he's BFFs with his ex-girlfriend (who's married now and it's been many years, blah blah blah) so... I'm still deciding.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#85712 May 16, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
You should be fine anywhere downtown. I've heard people compare Boston to Chicago and I kind of see it... especially compared to NYC. It's a fun town full of history and shopping and stuff and I guess you're used to the cold so that won't matter. ;) They have a decent train system too.
Cool. Thanks. I've been there, but it's been many many many years. And things change you know? I don't want to spend a four tune, but I don't want bugs, gangs, mugging...etc., etc., etc. Fortunately I have time. I might do a tour of Harvard while I'm there too. <shrug> 'Cause yanno, still waiting to hear from them on my grad school app.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#85713 May 16, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Do what you think is right, even if he's not doing it. Lead by example and all that. Then, if something bothers you that he's doing with his BFF, you can mention it feeling comfortable doing so.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#85714 May 16, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks.

I get that you want to be sensitive to the guy you're seeing, but you were with Jasper a LONG time and this new guy is just that; a new guy. It might be the relationship of your life, and it might be just a "right now guy." I wouldn't do anything drastic until I felt that it was time. The frige magnets...meh, how much do you like the pictures? Not because it's him, or he and you, but because of what/when/where...they were taken. If you want to put them away, then go for it, but do it because it's time, not because someone else might be sensitive to the fact that you're still processing the end of that relationship.

Facebook pics, I wouldn't worry about too much. Hide what you want, delete what you want, leave alone what you want. Whatever you want to do just make sure it's what YOU want, not what someone else wants or what you think they would want.

It's like a divorce right? And we say all the time to take it slow because it takes time (like a year or so) to go through the process of detachment and recovery. Same thing. The real "end" when all is said and done and processed (yeah I know I keep using that word) it will be pretty organic. You will look up one day and realize it doesn't hurt anymore and storing, deleting, hiding, destroying (whatever) pics and stuff will just feel like a natural thing to do. It won't weigh on your mind.

Dr. Mimi...advice always free, but donations glad accepted (-_-)

Miami, FL

#85715 May 16, 2013
Thanks guys!

I mentioned the BFF as an example of the fact that he gets the concept of staying in touch/staying friends with exes. Not because anything bothers ME. Yet, anyway. ;)

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#85716 May 16, 2013
squishymama wrote:
Well, I guess the pre tarted-up Merida beach towels I just bought won't become collector items after all.
Good.
http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/sexy...
"Good" is right!

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#85717 May 16, 2013
RACE wrote:
Yeah, apparently theirs something in the water that dumbs them down to the point where their a danger to themselves and everyone else if they try. I hear that they actually have to hire gas station attendants from out of state, because they are unaffected by the "Stupidity germ" lurking in the local water.
<quoted text>
Nope, we're just smart enough not to eliminate a bunch of jobs just for the "satisfaction" of getting our hands dirty, dealing with craptastic weather, etc. We get to stay in our vehicles nice and warm during the winter, and cool in the summer. We don't have to hire from out of state, because so many of us are FROM other states.
Motorcyclists still are usually allowed to pump their own here, just because the gas stations don't want to deal with problems if the attendant spills on their tanks. It's not really legal, but nobody cares.
You want to pump your own? Fine. It's not that we can't, we just don't have that desire. If we DO feel an unbearable urge to pump gas, we can drive across the river to Vancouver and pay a few cents more per gallon for the pleasure. Or into California and pay even more, or Idaho, although who the heck wants to go there?
I think y'all are just jealous that you have to do it yourself, and are generally paying more for it at the same time.
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#85718 May 16, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Yes. Fla resident only. Valid only til July I believe
June 7.:(

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#85719 May 16, 2013
Oh sure, play it up like it's some kind of master plan or something.
Riddle me this then...
Back when round was first invented and I was but a young boy, I remember going to gas stations and their were attendants who did just that. Pumped your gas, cleaned your windows, checked your oil, and gave you S&H green stamps.

Over time, the American population realized that they had the ability to pump their own gas, and being the independent creatures we are, we shrugged off the yoke of big oil and big brother and started pumping our own gas.

But apparently there are still some throwbacks to evolution and they seem to have migrated to two points (interestingly on opposite sides of the country) where they can be coddled, and remain un-evolved.

So how long do you think you can thwart evolution? You will be assimilated, resistance is futile!
NWmoon wrote:
<quoted text>Nope, we're just smart enough not to eliminate a bunch of jobs just for the "satisfaction" of getting our hands dirty, dealing with craptastic weather, etc. We get to stay in our vehicles nice and warm during the winter, and cool in the summer. We don't have to hire from out of state, because so many of us are FROM other states.
Motorcyclists still are usually allowed to pump their own here, just because the gas stations don't want to deal with problems if the attendant spills on their tanks. It's not really legal, but nobody cares.
You want to pump your own? Fine. It's not that we can't, we just don't have that desire. If we DO feel an unbearable urge to pump gas, we can drive across the river to Vancouver and pay a few cents more per gallon for the pleasure. Or into California and pay even more, or Idaho, although who the heck wants to go there?
I think y'all are just jealous that you have to do it yourself, and are generally paying more for it at the same time.
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#85720 May 16, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Did you ever get any deals through your work, here in Florida? 4 days at all their parks for $129 is really great....
It's a FL resident deal. They do something like it every year. Usually announced at the beginning of January and good through June-ish except for a couple weeks at spring break. You don't have to use your days consecutively, either. This year, it was $119 for 3 days and $10 more to add a 4th day. You can add a park hopper, too (I think it is $50 a person and covers all days on your pass).
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#85721 May 16, 2013
WhoIs_JohnGalt wrote:
<quoted text>
(I know, it's been a long time since i've posted here, but now you have my curiosity)
My wife and i have decided to take our 4 kids (ages 4-8) to Disney in October. Do the math - with 4 kids and two adults, we are going to have to mortgage the house to go (j/k).
(Where did you see that deal - or is it one of those things for residents of Florida?)(
Sorry it's a resident deal....:-(

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 9 min John Galt 1,144,149
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 12 min Jacques Ottawa 180,935
EverGreen Belgrade 14 min The__Baron 14
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 22 min Earthling-1 48,587
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr TRD 68,795
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 2 hr JOEL 70,617
anybody know Glen Musielak? Glentech? (Mar '13) 5 hr Gary Seven 38
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News