United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I jsut went to the abby column I posted, it's still there.
I finally see it; I hadn't seen Abby all day until just now.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

I posted a "test" response to bring it basck to the list below.

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Aisle Sitter wrote:
<quoted text>
i hate the run up before and the triaging just before vacation. at least i learned to pick a different person to be my back up while i'm out. its amazing how much better (i.e., less stressful for the first 10 minutes im figuring out which end is up) it is coming back when you have a rational person covering for you.
i don't feel that i'm paid enough to watch e-mails while i'm on actual vacation time, so i don't. others around here do; good for them. i feel work is work, home is home. yet, when someone does text me while i'm out (like the day i was cleaning basemetns), i have the bad habit of answering right away. need to stop that!
I get reimbursed for my cell phone bill by my company so I feel obligated to check in even when I'm supposed to be on vacation vs. traveling for work. But I hate when people copy me on stuff just for the sake of doing it, or when there's a relatively easy answer to a question and if the person just tried a little problem-solving or thinking for him- or her-(usually her) self, they wouldn't need me. Oh well... I do like my job. And I'm certainly glad to have one!

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Judged:

j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
I get reimbursed for my cell phone bill by my company so I feel obligated to check in even when I'm supposed to be on vacation vs. traveling for work. But I hate when people copy me on stuff just for the sake of doing it, or when there's a relatively easy answer to a question and if the person just tried a little problem-solving or thinking for him- or her-(usually her) self, they wouldn't need me. Oh well... I do like my job. And I'm certainly glad to have one!
if i were reimbursed, i too would feel more of an obligation to keep tabs on stuff... but i'm not, so i don't.:-)

another issue for me is drawing the line between personal and company time. i try to respect that wehn others are out of the office, especially on time flagged as vacation, and just wish that others would do the same.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Judged:

j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a coworker out on maternity leave. HEr work is completely covered. People are still ccing her on everything. Her coworker is going into her emails and cleaning them out for her.

“What's it to ya?”

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Not working in an important field (doctor, first responder, nuclear clean up, etc.) when the work day is done, it's done. Nothing so critical that it can't wait. The sale will still be there during business hours tomorrow...or it won't. I just don't care. Then again as long as my bills are paid, I can go without (whatever) if there's a threat to my harmony...

Hope that makes sense. Typing on my phone so I'm trying to be concise.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Judged:

I assume most of you have heard of Angelina Jolie's news by now? Preventive double mastectomy. Good for her!

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/14/opinion/my-...

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I jsut went to the abby column I posted, it's still there.
I can see mine too but the posts show 0. I cut and pasted onto your column removed vowels from s*x but it immediately disappeared. Weird
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I assume most of you have heard of Angelina Jolie's news by now? Preventive double mastectomy. Good for her!
It takes some guts to do that. Of course, having unlimited resources to get the test, get the surgery and get reconstruction and all... that really helps.

Kudos to her. But I still can't stand her.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Judged:

Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
It takes some guts to do that. Of course, having unlimited resources to get the test, get the surgery and get reconstruction and all... that really helps.
Kudos to her. But I still can't stand her.
heh. I admit, I didn't like her much before, but I like her more now. ;)

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Judged:

I'm not very educated on breast surgery and I understand why Angelina Jolie did what she did, but I don't understand how an elective double mastectomy and immediate reconstruction (even knowing that you will need more permanent surgery in another few months) is all that different from the breast augmentation surgery (and other more invasive plastic surgery) that women put themselves through all the time.

Angelina is just a bit more altruistic, as usual.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
You'd have to be living under a rock not to have seen it.

I like that she kept it quiet until it was a done deal and that she did it for her children. For someone who is constantly judged on how she looks, it took a lot of guts.

“What's it to ya?”

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Judged:

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
You'd have to be living under a rock not to have seen it.
I like that she kept it quiet until it was a done deal and that she did it for her children. For someone who is constantly judged on how she looks, it took a lot of guts.
Agreed. Still don't like her though.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Judged:

j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Taht would not make me check while on vacation. If my company were paying for my phone, I would let MY BOSS know that if HE had an issue that he thought was urgent eniugh to disturb my vacation, that I would respond to HIS messages. The rest of the company? F that. You go see my boss and let him decide how important your issue is.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

I don't have a problem with this at all. I say kudos to the resourceful cripples.

http://feedly.com/k/17rjpyY

“What's it to ya?”

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
I saw that the other day. Kid's right, but he should have gone about it in a different way. I don't think he should have disrupted the class. Did you notice how passive the teacher was? Made me think of how scared they are now of law suits and stuff. When I was in school, the teacher wold have been right in my face. Of course, that *was* back in the dark ages.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Judged:

Mister Tonka wrote:
I don't have a problem with this at all. I say kudos to the resourceful cripples.
http://feedly.com/k/17rjpyY
I don't believe it.
First it cites teh NY Post, not a bastion of fact checking.
Second it doesn't cite specifics
Tird, from what I know of Disney, if they thought this was really going on, they would check their surveillance videos to see if the same person was a "family member" of lots of different families. That would limit the dsabled person to maybe 3 shots at the scam. Max.

I call Urban Myth. Someone call Snopes.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
I saw that the other day. Kid's right,
I agree (assuming he's not full of shit)
Mimi Seattle wrote:
but he should have gone about it in a different way. I don't think he should have disrupted the class.
I agree.
Mimi Seattle wrote:
Did you notice how passive the teacher was?
I disagree with you and agree with the guy from the second article I sent. She remained calm and just kept telling him to leave. Did not get into a heated exchange with him. To me, that's maintaining her composure.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't believe it.
First it cites teh NY Post, not a bastion of fact checking.
Second it doesn't cite specifics
Tird, from what I know of Disney, if they thought this was really going on, they would check their surveillance videos to see if the same person was a "family member" of lots of different families. That would limit the dsabled person to maybe 3 shots at the scam. Max.
I call Urban Myth. Someone call Snopes.
Perhaps they are ot fact checking and verifying, but here's the local ABC affiliate in Orlando reporting the story(citing the NY Post):http://www.google.com/ur l?sa=t&rct=j&q=&es rc=s&frm=1&source=web &cd=6&cad=rja&ved= 0CEwQFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2 Fwww.wftv.com%2Fnews%2Fnews%2F local%2Fdream-tours-florida-al legedly-uses-disabled-tour-g%2 FnXrFJ%2F&ei=7wCTUdP9O42a9 QTnuYGwAg&usg=AFQjCNEDH2U8 UqNhiukSVSSCrac3HmcrsA&sig 2=RLudsTV0tXlApb0roLD3bg&b vm=bv.46471029,d.eWU

Same with the local CBS affiliate:
http://www.clickorlando.com/news/parents-hiri...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

102 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min John Galt 1,082,903
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 15 min Terry rigsby 48,979
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 41 min wojar 175,037
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 43 min Progressive 45,861
last post wins! (Apr '13) 1 hr boundary painter 300
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr boundary painter 4,564
Word (Dec '08) 1 hr boundary painter 4,588
Abby 7-29 1 hr j_m_w 16
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••