Topix Chitown Regulars

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#85648 May 15, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree with you and agree with the guy from the second article I sent. She remained calm and just kept telling him to leave. Did not get into a heated exchange with him. To me, that's maintaining her composure.
She sounded catatonic. It would have been better for her to say this was not the time nor the place to discuss teaching methods and she would be happy to discuss this further after school or in the office but she will not have disruption in her class.

She sounded way too dismissive.
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#85649 May 15, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Don't discount teh human factor. They would use teh special entrance which cuts down teh numbers substantially. All it would take is one gate person who thought a chair person looked familiar who shared that with a supervisor who then scanned security tapes... Identifying the people involved might be more difficult. That I don't know about.
They also scan your fingerprint when you enter the parks now.

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#85650 May 15, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Disney has more surveillance cameras per square foot in teh parks than any other commercial establishment I know of. If the same person in a wheelchair showed up with "family" on 3 differnt occasions, and there was some indication it was a ruse to gain line advantage, they could take steps to stop it. It would be fraud prevention.
It would need extremely delicate PR handling as well as legal but they are well set up to handle it discreetly.
I get what you're saying, but my point is that Disney can't call people out on being friends or relatives. Who are they to say that this wheelchair-bound person doesn't have two groups of friends who want to go to the park with him/her on consecutive days? Disney can't govern relationships.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#85651 May 15, 2013
Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I messed us up with that when we were at Disney World over Thanksgiving. I had no idea they associated the ticket with the fingerprint after the first use, so I just put all the tickets back in my wallet without noting who used which one. The next day, we had to get a replacement ticket because I used the wrong one to try and get in. Thankfully it wasn't that much of a pain since my mom took care of it while I took the kids on a ride, but it sure could have been without her help.

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#85652 May 15, 2013
I think your insane.
I say let karma handle the able bodied peeps doing that, and as for the person in the wheelchair, they are not doing anything wrong. Unethical? other people do worse legally, so I dont see any problem with it.

a better solution is to simply make the disabled peeps wait their turn like everyone else. Have the park hire people to act as placeholders in the line and when they get to the front, the disabled and friends/family get on the ride.
Lot cheaper.
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Disney has more surveillance cameras per square foot in teh parks than any other commercial establishment I know of. If the same person in a wheelchair showed up with "family" on 3 differnt occasions, and there was some indication it was a ruse to gain line advantage, they could take steps to stop it. It would be fraud prevention.
It would need extremely delicate PR handling as well as legal but they are well set up to handle it discreetly.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#85653 May 15, 2013
I say if you're disabled and have to use a wheelchair, I have no problem with them jumping the line. It's difficult to get around when you're disabled and this act of kindness I think is something that able-bodied people should deal with. Yes, people will cheat the system. So what. Deal with the ones you catch. Do not punish everyone for the actions of others.

I really dislike people who cannot be a bit flexible and understanding.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#85654 May 15, 2013
A couple of amazing photos. I don't think I'd want to mess with these two...

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/nature/post/tw...
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#85655 May 15, 2013
Toj wrote:
I say if you're disabled and have to use a wheelchair, I have no problem with them jumping the line. It's difficult to get around when you're disabled and this act of kindness I think is something that able-bodied people should deal with. Yes, people will cheat the system. So what. Deal with the ones you catch. Do not punish everyone for the actions of others.
I really dislike people who cannot be a bit flexible and understanding.
My Dad and I have been trying to talk my mom into going to Disney - they haven't been in YEARS. She's had a couple of heart attacks in the past and gets chest pains, so walking around all day would be too much. We keep telling her to rent a wheelchair and go but she won't because of pride. I didn't even think of the whole line issue!!!

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#85656 May 15, 2013
Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
My Dad and I have been trying to talk my mom into going to Disney - they haven't been in YEARS. She's had a couple of heart attacks in the past and gets chest pains, so walking around all day would be too much. We keep telling her to rent a wheelchair and go but she won't because of pride. I didn't even think of the whole line issue!!!
I understand. My aunt would not use a wheelchair until she had absolutely no other alternative. She eventually died of her disease that made her disabled (ALS)

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#85657 May 15, 2013
Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
Why?

Location hidden

#85658 May 15, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
I get what you're saying, but my point is that Disney can't call people out on being friends or relatives. Who are they to say that this wheelchair-bound person doesn't have two groups of friends who want to go to the park with him/her on consecutive days? Disney can't govern relationships.
And by law -- according to the ADA -- a business manager/owner/employee can ask if you are disabled/need special assistance, but they can't ask you what your disability is. They must take the person at their word. Their hands are fairly tied.
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#85659 May 15, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Why?
To match it up with your ticket. I never thought about the problem squishy mentioned where she mixed up everyone's cards and had a problem the next day. Never thought about that because ours are usually some kind of residential or annual pass so we each have our names and signatures on our passes.

Location hidden

#85660 May 15, 2013
Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
To match it up with your ticket. I never thought about the problem squishy mentioned where she mixed up everyone's cards and had a problem the next day. Never thought about that because ours are usually some kind of residential or annual pass so we each have our names and signatures on our passes.
Ooohhh of course. Otherwise you could buy a 3day ticket and let me use it for a day.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Itasca, IL

#85661 May 15, 2013
i wish i had a buddy to walk with!! everyone keeps telling me its gorgeous out there!

Location hidden

#85662 May 15, 2013
Aisle Sitter wrote:
i wish i had a buddy to walk with!! everyone keeps telling me its gorgeous out there!
Two people want me to walk with them at lunch, but honestly, I'd rather just walk by myself and listen to my ipod for half an hour.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Itasca, IL

#85663 May 15, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Two people want me to walk with them at lunch, but honestly, I'd rather just walk by myself and listen to my ipod for half an hour.
the one i miss most, we used to gossip about all kinds of thigns... it was nice to be able to talk shop (ok, rant, rave & vent) to someone who gets teh issues and understands teh use of vague details... ;-)

there were times i'd go out and stop around teh paths too, in order to vent off some frustration and excess energy.

Location hidden

#85664 May 15, 2013
Aisle Sitter wrote:
<quoted text>
the one i miss most, we used to gossip about all kinds of thigns... it was nice to be able to talk shop (ok, rant, rave & vent) to someone who gets teh issues and understands teh use of vague details... ;-)
there were times i'd go out and stop around teh paths too, in order to vent off some frustration and excess energy.
Heh I'd be more up for that with certain coworkers, but not the two who've asked me to join them on their walks. ;)
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#85665 May 15, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Ooohhh of course. Otherwise you could buy a 3day ticket and let me use it for a day.
Exactly!!! Especially when they have those great deals. They had one at Disney - 4 days for $129.$32.25 a day instead of the normal $89. They son't want us sharing THAT deal with our friends!
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#85666 May 15, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Heh I'd be more up for that with certain coworkers, but not the two who've asked me to join them on their walks. ;)
They never let me go for walks here.:( Well, unless I am walking to the bathroom, or to accounting, or to get a glass of water... You guys live the high life!!!

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#85667 May 15, 2013
Thats because they are afraid you will get lost...
(I owe you a couple.:))
Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
They never let me go for walks here.:( Well, unless I am walking to the bathroom, or to accounting, or to get a glass of water... You guys live the high life!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min positronium 1,458,269
Why does Chicago want to harbor illegal criminals 14 min ThomasA 17
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr Jacques Ottawa 231,014
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 5 hr SweLL GirL 9,843
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 7 hr Into The Night 62,314
News Chicago's resistance 10 hr Lickz8951 3
News Scientists say they have proved climate change ... (Dec '08) 11 hr YIM 7,942

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages