|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Judged:

Go Blue Forever wrote:
Just was speaking on another thread about Riverview Amusement Park....Does anyone recall the old, S.Chicago destination?...it was there until it started falling apart, around 1967......
Riverview was at Belmont and Western on the north side. It was certainly there in 1967. I was there. It was probably torn down early to mid 1970's.

Old Chicago was an indoor mash up of an amusement park and mall at I 55 and Rte 53 in Plainfield/Joliet. That was torn down in the early 1980's. THere is still a street named for it on teh site right next to teh Bob Evans as I recall.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Was'nt Santa's Village just starting out in Gurnee, back then?.....We lived in Park Forest and went to Cedar Lake in Indiana alot, when i was little.....

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>

Oh, and as far as not being street smart and not being taught, I call bullshit. By the time you're 17, don't talk to strangers has been repeated to you forever, if not by parent's, definitely by school safety programs.
You'd be surprised by how "smart" kids, who "know better" can make really stupid decisions. <nod nod>

http://www.aacap.org/cs/root/facts_for_famili...

That said, placing any blame on the victims for what this guy(s?) intentionally, with deliberation, malice, and forethought did is (IMO) the same as saying "well if she didn't dress like that she wouldn't have been raped so it's her fault." Yeah, dumb, dumb, dumb choice that she's been paying for for a really long time, but that takes away not one iota of 100% blame going to the perpetrator for his decision to find someone who was not as cautious as they should have been.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
Was'nt Santa's Village just starting out in Gurnee, back then?.....We lived in Park Forest and went to Cedar Lake in Indiana alot, when i was little.....
Santa's Village was in Dundee or Carpentersville, out near I 90 and teh Fox River.

Gurnee has Great America which is still there and probably just about to open.

I am guessing you are at least in your 60's. I didn't think Park Forest was built until the mid 1950's (it is a planned from teh ground up community)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Santa's Village was in Dundee or Carpentersville, out near I 90 and teh Fox River.
Gurnee has Great America which is still there and probably just about to open.
I am guessing you are at least in your 60's. I didn't think Park Forest was built until the mid 1950's (it is a planned from teh ground up community)
Yeah, class of 1970, Rich East...lol........we drive through PF on our way to Michigan sometimes....but i hate to see what the fed's social engineering did to Park Forest, it was so well designed as an award winning design for post-war middle class families, then they had those in public housing from Chicago dumped into it.....you can guess the rest.....

“Licensed to Ill”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you watch Modern Family? Last week one of teh dad's accidentally gave the daughter $100 from teh toth fairy and they were trying to get it back. It was pretty funny.
No, I don't, but that sounds funny.

My son with autism is afraid of the tooth fairy. He will stay awake until 1 or 2 in the morning and anytime he hears a noise he screams thinking it's the tooth fairy coming into his room. All night you hear him screaming like a girl.

Another time, the money fell behind the bed, and our other son came running into our room, absolutely balling. He said "the tooth fairy took my tooth, but didn't leave me any money."

So funny.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
ie: they do something stupid.
<quoted text>
Look, Sub's not running up to her and yelling in her face that she was stupid and its her fault, but if we're going to intelligently discuss this, the fact is, she got in a stranger's van willingly. It was stupid. I'm sure she's beaten herself up over and over during the last 10 years for how stupid she was to do that. What happened to her was terrible and you feel so bad for her that you would prefer we ignore her role in her abduction.
That's not blaming the victim. That's pointing out that when you do stupid things and put yourself in un-necessary danger, bad things are more likely to happen.
Oh, and as far as not being street smart and not being taught, I call bullshit. By the time you're 17, don't talk to strangers has been repeated to you forever, if not by parent's, definitely by school safety programs.
I specifically pointed out:

"I'm not saying you're heaping blame (b/c you don't seem that you are); but that's my thought process on it. "

I'm telling you, people don't listen at school, they hear what they want to hear, want the feel good everybody is great.

Tonka, stupid is rampant.

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
ie: they do something stupid.
<quoted text>
Look, Sub's not running up to her and yelling in her face that she was stupid and its her fault, but if we're going to intelligently discuss this, the fact is, she got in a stranger's van willingly. It was stupid. I'm sure she's beaten herself up over and over during the last 10 years for how stupid she was to do that. What happened to her was terrible and you feel so bad for her that you would prefer we ignore her role in her abduction.
That's not blaming the victim. That's pointing out that when you do stupid things and put yourself in un-necessary danger, bad things are more likely to happen.
Well said, man.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
You'd be surprised by how "smart" kids, who "know better" can make really stupid decisions. <nod nod>
That said, placing any blame on the victims for what this guy(s?) intentionally, with deliberation, malice, and forethought did is (IMO) the same as saying "well if she didn't dress like that she wouldn't have been raped so it's her fault." Yeah, dumb, dumb, dumb choice that she's been paying for for a really long time, but that takes away not one iota of 100% blame going to the perpetrator for his decision to find someone who was not as cautious as they should have been.
I agree. I get tired of the victims being blamed.

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
There's nothing dumb about dressing in a particular manner. It is dumb, however, to get into a strangers car.

“This is SPARTA!”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I specifically pointed out:
"I'm not saying you're heaping blame (b/c you don't seem that you are); but that's my thought process on it. "
I'm telling you, people don't listen at school, they hear what they want to hear, want the feel good everybody is great.
Tonka, stupid is rampant.
So what's your point. Because she suffered so much, even when discussing it amongst ourselves, we should not point out her role in this? Her lapse in judgement? They did not forcw her into the van. Better judgement could have prevented this whole thing.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

I dont think anyone is blaming the girls. Nobody is saying its their fault or that they got what they deserved.

What is being said (I think anyway) is that these girls should have known better. That is not assigning blame, just stating a particular view of the situation.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

j_m_w wrote:
Ang, I sent you an email yesterday. Did you get it?
Hmm, I didn't see anything, let me do some digging. I have FB set up to send me emails for every frickin' thing people do on FB (b/c it's blocked at work, so it's the only way to see responses, etc., when I'm at work), so I can easily get flooded with stupid emails.

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Judged:

All I said is what moron gets into a strangers car. Is it not dumb to get into a strangers car? Can't we agree that it is dumb? Can't we also agree that pretty much anyone her age when she was abducted should have readily understood the risk?

Why aren't folks supposed to get into strangers cars? They aren't supposed to get into strangers cars, because you don't know if the stranger is a psycho or not. Can't we agree about that?

She was dumb. She took a chance that she shouldn't have.

Does that mean she DESERVED to be held captive for 10 years; no, of course not. No one deserves that.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>That is the funniest show...loved the part last night, where the mom found out her name was still in the bathroom wall, at the skating rink...lol...Kinda miss Suburgatory, that was after it.....
I loved Suburgatory, but it seemed tough for me to find, I never k new it's night and time, b/c I thik I found it early on when they were trying to find a home for it in the schedule, so it moved around on me.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

The one girl was friends with the daughter of this scumbag. In her case, I can see accepting a ride from the father of your bestie. The others <mimishrug> just let their guard down, imo. This guy has been repeated described as charming and friendly, so it's easy to see how it could have happened.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I loved Suburgatory, but it seemed tough for me to find, I never k new it's night and time, b/c I thik I found it early on when they were trying to find a home for it in the schedule, so it moved around on me.
Yeah, they should have left it after, Modern Family...like it was....they get greedy and try to push us into the lame show, where the girl and kid, move back home.....They did that with a show, The B*tch that lives in Apt. 2B.....now i can't even find it.....it's alway's about greed.....

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>So what's your point. Because she suffered so much, even when discussing it amongst ourselves, we should not point out her role in this? Her lapse in judgement? They did not forcw her into the van. Better judgement could have prevented this whole thing.
Maybe it would have prevented it but we don't know. Maybe he would have forced her in -- chased after her or used a weapon.

The guy is not right at all.

I'm not stoppin anyone from discussing anything. Including myself from voice my opinion that it's unnecessary to blame the victim.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, they should have left it after, Modern Family...like it was....they get greedy and try to push us into the lame show, where the girl and kid, move back home.....They did that with a show, The B*tch that lives in Apt. 2B.....now i can't even find it.....it's alway's about greed.....
Oh, right -- that's the show with the chick from Scrubs and How I Met Your Mother, and she moves in with mom and stepdad. Hardy har har.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

The one girl, Gina was supposed to be a special ed student.....too bad they can't just hang this guy, immediatly.....in his front yard....sorry.....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 84,241 - 84,260 of96,134
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

52 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min No Surprize 1,034,118
Abby 4-19 12 min Kuuipo 9
Music Artists A to Z 16 min boundary painter 92
Song Title Game (Dec '11) 22 min boundary painter 1,023
Amy 4-19 24 min boundary painter 8
Song Titles Only (group/artist in parenthesis m... (Mar '10) 32 min boundary painter 7,551
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 39 min ritedownthemiddle 42,991
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]