Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

There's a boy who used to ride my boys bus who has brain cancer.

Their school is doing a fund raiser for him and everyday for $1 the kids get to do something special, like chew gum or wear a hat this week. It think that is nice, but I would like to give more than that.

I don't think brain cancer is something with a good survival rate. Very sad.:(
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
Thinking about lunch. Has anyone had Panera's mac and cheese? I'm dying for some, but I'm not going to bother if it's shyte.
M co-workerscall it "Crack and cheese" because they love it so much. I've never hasd it because I love the broc/cheese soup and that's too much cheese!

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

ScarletandOlive wrote:
Charles Ramsey is so f'ing awesome! This is what I mean by being part of your community. Speaking of, has Cycle checked in at all lately or did he make a goodbye statement?
http://www.inquisitr.com/653083/charles-ramse...
This guy is wonderful.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
People think they can tell new moms what to do all the time. I was often yelled at because my babies had bare feet while we were shopping. They were always in strollers and they'd get bored so they would take off their shoes and socks. I was not about to put them back on every 60 seconds because then it became a game. I covered their feet before we went outside.
Busybodies.
Apparently babies develop their cold tolerance fairly early. There was a story a couple years ago about some Finnish grad students with a new baby who took it out in a stroller in the winter in what we would call light clothing because that's how babies are handled in Finland. Someone called Family Services allegeig child abuse when it was a cultural issue,

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Sublime1 wrote:
Their school is doing a fund raiser for him and everyday for $1 the kids get to do something special, like chew gum or wear a hat this week. It think that is nice, but I would like to give more than that.
From what I just read, brain cancer is the leading cancer death among children, BUT, fewer than 60 children per year are diagnosed with it. So when you're dealing with such low numbers:

1. 60 kids per year is statistically insigificant.
2. That's not really enough people to work with to start making huge improvements in the survival rate.

Yes, it's very sad. His poor parents and siblings.:(

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Now I"m finding things that contradict the "60 kids per year." Hmmm.

But I have read in a few places that it's nearly 100% incurable.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

ScarletandOlive wrote:
Charles Ramsey is so f'ing awesome! This is what I mean by being part of your community. Speaking of, has Cycle checked in at all lately or did he make a goodbye statement?
http://www.inquisitr.com/653083/charles-ramse...
He just disappeared.
I sent him a PM a couple weeks back on teh chance he would see teh email, but he has not popped up.

I don't know if anyone knew him IRL or on FB etc.

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
This guy is wonderful.
ITA

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
From what I just read, brain cancer is the leading cancer death among children, BUT, fewer than 60 children per year are diagnosed with it. So when you're dealing with such low numbers:
1. 60 kids per year is statistically insigificant.
2. That's not really enough people to work with to start making huge improvements in the survival rate.
Yes, it's very sad. His poor parents and siblings.:(
Yep. Sux.

My MIL's good friend died from that a few years ago too.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Sublime1 wrote:

Maybe the adults can organize a bigger fundraiser, but I bet it means a lot to him that his schoolmates are showing their support in such visible ways. I hope the teachers are taking pictures of the kids wearing hats with him or blowing bubbles.

The money is important, but that friendship and support is invaluable to both him and his parents.

Brain cancer sucks. My Aunt died of it not long before I started posting on Topix. It was a long couple of years and very hard on those of us who were close to her (I was at the hospital or nursing home every day - she had no kids and I only had 1 by the time she died, so I had more free time than I do now).

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Sublime1 wrote:
One of the women, who was held captive by that guy, told investigators that she was on her way home from school in April 2004 when a man pulled up in a van and casually offered her a ride.
Teen or not, what moron gets into a strangers car in this day and age?
Some people aren't as street smart or haven't been taught, sadly. I agree it wasn't too mart to get into a car with someone she did not know.
Still, she's not to be blamed for getting locked away for that many years.
The men who did this and knew about it need to be locked up forever in a special hellish place.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe the adults can organize a bigger fundraiser, but I bet it means a lot to him that his schoolmates are showing their support in such visible ways. I hope the teachers are taking pictures of the kids wearing hats with him or blowing bubbles.
The money is important, but that friendship and support is invaluable to both him and his parents.
Brain cancer sucks. My Aunt died of it not long before I started posting on Topix. It was a long couple of years and very hard on those of us who were close to her (I was at the hospital or nursing home every day - she had no kids and I only had 1 by the time she died, so I had more free time than I do now).
I think that's a good idea. They could even incorporate the kids more. Have a math marathon where the kids could get sponsors for how many questions they get through within a certain time.

Have the kids do something in art and auction off the paintings/sculptures and the proceeds go to help.

There's plenty of stuff that could be done. Someone just has to get the ball rolling.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Some people aren't as street smart or haven't been taught, sadly. I agree it wasn't too mart to get into a car with someone she did not know.
The men who did this and knew about it need to be locked up forever in a special hellish place.
The DeJesus girl was a good friend of the captor's daughter Arlene, so she would have thought she was getting in a car with a friend's father.

Any idea why so very little is being said about the 3rd captive, Michelle?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>The DeJesus girl was a good friend of the captor's daughter Arlene, so she would have thought she was getting in a car with a friend's father.
Any idea why so very little is being said about the 3rd captive, Michelle?
I read that she was treated more as someone who *wanted* to disappear, more like a runaway.

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a good idea. I would love to see a bigger fund raiser. I will mention something to my wife about it.

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
No one deserves to be locked away for years, but she unfortunately does bear some of the blame, IMO. It's almost like the folks who win the darwin award. You just don't get into strangers cars. Everyone is taught at school that you don't trust strangers or get in their cars.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I read that she was treated more as someone who *wanted* to disappear, more like a runaway.
and i think she was 20 at the time, so moer "adult" than "child". also, CNN says shen disappeared after losing custody of her kid, so that lends additional credence to teh theory of wanting to disappear...
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Sublime1 wrote:
So just give more!

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
So just give more!
We are. When she told me today about it ... the first thing I asked was can't we give more? She said we could.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>That's a good idea. I would love to see a bigger fund raiser. I will mention something to my wife about it.
Around here we do a lot of spaghetti dinner fundraisers. For non-political events they are usually held in one of the firehouses. The seniors will come out because they get a cheap meal (usually around $10 a plate, including bread, drink and donated dessert) and a place to gather and the families of school age kids don't have to worry about doing dishes. Ask at the high school if they have a service club of kids who would volunteer to be runners (bring the plates of spaghetti to the tables so that people aren't going into the kitchen) and make sure the tables are wiped down after people leave. Since this is for a kid, you may be able to find someone who is willing to donate their services as a face painter or clown who makes balloon animals.

It doesn't have to be a fancy meal, but a way for the community to get together for a cause. Also, if people have a person to give a check to (collecting money when they walk in the door), they are more likely to write out a bigger check.

Just throwing something out there.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 84,181 - 84,200 of97,500
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

20 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
City to install more jet noise monitors in Chicago 12 min bensleys thoughts 1
Israel And Palestine, An Animated Introduction 25 min Charles Idemi 2
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr wojar 174,372
One kilometre high and counting (Jul '07) 2 hr NITiN 2
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 hr John Galt 1,077,537
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 5 hr voice of peace 67,813
Drop a letter lose 10 words ! 5 hr Youfumbled 5
•••
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••