Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

RACE wrote:
<quoted text>Have you read the max series and the witch series from patterson? both geared to younger readers, but is mindless.
No, I'll have to check them out.

One of my favorite series is the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan. It was written for teens, so the writing is very simple, but it is about Greek and Roman mythology. I get so excited when authors find a way to make history interesting to kids and teens. I love being able to talk about it in the classroom when there is down time or with my younger cousins.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Sublime1 wrote:
One of the women, who was held captive by that guy, told investigators that she was on her way home from school in April 2004 when a man pulled up in a van and casually offered her a ride.
Teen or not, what moron gets into a strangers car in this day and age?
And in a VAN? Where no one can see you? Eff that.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Gun violence within Chicago?....it's spoken of on the national news broadcasts, about once a week, especially amoung'st the young and black.....is it just reaching you?
Again, do you have any data on the crimes committed using handguns over the past 20 years or so? The news does not report "just the facts", it editorializes and sensationalizes, especially when it comes to Chicago because of its relationship to the President.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Sublime1 wrote:
One of the women, who was held captive by that guy, told investigators that she was on her way home from school in April 2004 when a man pulled up in a van and casually offered her a ride.
Teen or not, what moron gets into a strangers car in this day and age?
Probably just that one moron. Seriously, that's something that would never even enter my head to do.

“Licensed to Ill”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
And in a VAN? Where no one can see you? Eff that.
I know!

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Thinking about lunch. Has anyone had Panera's mac and cheese? I'm dying for some, but I'm not going to bother if it's shyte.

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably just that one moron. Seriously, that's something that would never even enter my head to do.
*I* wouldn't even get into a strangers car who casually pulled up and offered me a ride, and I'm fairly confident I can handle myself if I have to.

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
Thinking about lunch. Has anyone had Panera's mac and cheese? I'm dying for some, but I'm not going to bother if it's shyte.
Nope. Their food is pretty good, tho, and it's pretty hard to f' up mac and cheese. I would wager it's at least decent.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
*I* wouldn't even get into a strangers car who casually pulled up and offered me a ride, and I'm fairly confident I can handle myself if I have to.
I have had TWO friends on maternity leave who had this happen:

New mom is out walking on a nice morning, with newborn in the snugli, just taking a walk.

Car pulls over at the curb, woman driving. With one friend it was one woman in the car. With another friend it was two women in a minivan. Both times, the new moms were berated for having their babies outside "in the cold" (M's baby was born late April, so this was in May, K's baby was born in August, so this was August and early SEptember), just chewing them out for being OUTSIDE WALKING WITH THEIR BABIES.

Who does this?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Oh, and both times, the women in the vhicles DEMANDED that my friends get in the car.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

i remember you mentioning that, red... and the follow up issue becomes what to do abuot riding in a car without teh proper, nay, any, carseat... and as long as the kid is fully clothed, has a hat and is bundled in a carrier, i see no issue iwth the outside temperatire in september or may...

somewhere i read that babies should have on one more layer than we adults would tolerate for the weather because they ahven't "learned" how to regulate temperature yet.

(cool my magic number is 3456!)

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>I have had TWO friends on maternity leave who had this happen:

New mom is out walking on a nice morning, with newborn in the snugli, just taking a walk.

Car pulls over at the curb, woman driving. With one friend it was one woman in the car. With another friend it was two women in a minivan. Both times, the new moms were berated for having their babies outside "in the cold" (M's baby was born late April, so this was in May, K's baby was born in August, so this was August and early SEptember), just chewing them out for being OUTSIDE WALKING WITH THEIR BABIES.

Who does this?
People think they can tell new moms what to do all the time. I was often yelled at because my babies had bare feet while we were shopping. They were always in strollers and they'd get bored so they would take off their shoes and socks. I was not about to put them back on every 60 seconds because then it became a game. I covered their feet before we went outside.

Busybodies.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>I have had TWO friends on maternity leave who had this happen:

Who does this?
Oh, and this happened to me once, too. I like walking and it kept Ry quiet (he was a very colicky baby).

People also offer us rides now when we walk to and from school on sunny days. Um, we live 5 minutes away from the school - on the same street! If we are walking, it is because we enjoy the fresh air.

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I have had TWO friends on maternity leave who had this happen:
Who does this?
Women can be so catty to each other.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
It's one of the only things my kids will eat from there. I think they may even have a new version with bacon.

“Derecho”

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Not sure Chicago s following that trend....
Yep. The murder rate has dropped in Chicago, too.

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Aisle Sitter wrote:
somewhere i read that babies should have on one more layer than we adults would tolerate for the weather because they ahven't "learned" how to regulate temperature yet.
While it's good to keep babies bundled up in cold weather, babies have brown adipose tissue, which you lose as you grow. It's purpose is to generate heat. It is specifically designed to protect babies from these situations. Evolution...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Aisle Sitter wrote:
i remember you mentioning that, red... and the follow up issue becomes what to do abuot riding in a car without teh proper, nay, any, carseat... and as long as the kid is fully clothed, has a hat and is bundled in a carrier, i see no issue iwth the outside temperatire in september or may...
(cool my magic number is 3456!)
I've read more than once that babies tend to be kept warmer than they need to be. I guess I figure, if your baby seems happy, you're doing okay!

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Charles Ramsey is so f'ing awesome! This is what I mean by being part of your community. Speaking of, has Cycle checked in at all lately or did he make a goodbye statement?

http://www.inquisitr.com/653083/charles-ramse...

“It made sense at the time....”

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

I got some birth announcement-style photos of my nephews, and one of them was after bath time. we just put a diaper on him, grabbed his blanket and headed to teh front room. at one point, he felt really warm to me, so i loosened up teh blanket. then like five minutes later, he felt chilled, so i wrapped him up again and took the opportunity for a closer snuggle. no crying, no whining, all was good...

i realized that M was going to be iwht us at teh same age that A was when i took those photos, so i made sure i got some of M too. pretty cool to have the same thing at the same age!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 84,161 - 84,180 of97,431
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

86 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Also Sprach 1,071,663
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 18 min mdbuilder 45,440
I Hate my life and mom (Aug '07) 28 min hands on AR 1,756
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 28 min andet1987 386
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 45 min LRS 173,560
Negra Nagin gets 10 years-YEAH 47 min hands on AR 5
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 1 hr george 3,812
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info