Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#85373 May 8, 2013
I wouldn't organize anything unless I were closely related to the kid or he was a close friend's kid.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#85374 May 8, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I wouldn't organize anything unless I were closely related to the kid or he was a close friend's kid.
I agree. I don't even know the situation with the boy, the financial situation of the family, and if the level of medical insurance, such that I would know if there is or isn't a big need for fund raising. That usually something done by a person who is more aware of the families situation ... not a complete stranger.

I have to play tooth fairy tonight, lol.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#85375 May 8, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
No one deserves to be locked away for years, but she unfortunately does bear some of the blame, IMO. It's almost like the folks who win the darwin award. You just don't get into strangers cars. Everyone is taught at school that you don't trust strangers or get in their cars.
I guess since the captures were so awful I really dislike blaming the victims. Yes, they made a very poor decision but at this point they more than paid their price.

I really also don't like the sense of safety this leaves people. What I am talking about is when people say well she kid x, y and z and she shouldn't have, that's why that happened. It could never happen to me or my family! Well, kit could happen to anyone. People have off days, do things they normally wouldn't do, trust someone they shouldn't -- it's better to remind people of what they should and should not do than to blame the victim. Also, some people are overpowered. We don't know the full story on all three yet. Whatever the story, it's not good.

I'm not saying you're heaping blame (b/c you don't seem that you are); but that's my thought process on it.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#85376 May 8, 2013
Toj wrote:
Well, kit could happen to anyone. People have off days, do things they normally wouldn't do, trust someone they shouldn't
ie: they do something stupid.
Toj wrote:
-- it's better to remind people of what they should and should not do than to blame the victim.
Look, Sub's not running up to her and yelling in her face that she was stupid and its her fault, but if we're going to intelligently discuss this, the fact is, she got in a stranger's van willingly. It was stupid. I'm sure she's beaten herself up over and over during the last 10 years for how stupid she was to do that. What happened to her was terrible and you feel so bad for her that you would prefer we ignore her role in her abduction.

That's not blaming the victim. That's pointing out that when you do stupid things and put yourself in un-necessary danger, bad things are more likely to happen.

Oh, and as far as not being street smart and not being taught, I call bullshit. By the time you're 17, don't talk to strangers has been repeated to you forever, if not by parent's, definitely by school safety programs.

Location hidden

#85377 May 8, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess since the captures were so awful I really dislike blaming the victims. Yes, they made a very poor decision but at this point they more than paid their price.
She was 14. I'm not going to say she bears any responsibility for this at all.

Location hidden

#85378 May 8, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
ie: they do something stupid.
<quoted text>
Look, Sub's not running up to her and yelling in her face that she was stupid and its her fault, but if we're going to intelligently discuss this, the fact is, she got in a stranger's van willingly. It was stupid. I'm sure she's beaten herself up over and over during the last 10 years for how stupid she was to do that. What happened to her was terrible and you feel so bad for her that you would prefer we ignore her role in her abduction.
That's not blaming the victim. That's pointing out that when you do stupid things and put yourself in un-necessary danger, bad things are more likely to happen.
Oh, and as far as not being street smart and not being taught, I call bullshit. By the time you're 17, don't talk to strangers has been repeated to you forever, if not by parent's, definitely by school safety programs.
Okay, now I'm back on this side.

And before I get sucked into a debate on something in one of our other threads, I'm off to bed. see you all tomorrow.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#85379 May 8, 2013

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#85380 May 9, 2013

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#85381 May 9, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
http://now.msn.com/nick-willia ms-cancer-survivor-might-lose- f-cancr-license-plate

F Cancr
While I completely agree with the sentiment behind this plate and I think the people who are complaining need to find other things to focus their energy on, I do not for one second believe that he intended this to stand for "Fight Cancer".

Location hidden

#85382 May 9, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
While I completely agree with the sentiment behind this plate and I think the people who are complaining need to find other things to focus their energy on, I do not for one second believe that he intended this to stand for "Fight Cancer".
ITA.
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#85383 May 9, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
II have to play tooth fairy tonight, lol.
Do you watch Modern Family? Last week one of teh dad's accidentally gave the daughter $100 from teh toth fairy and they were trying to get it back. It was pretty funny.

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#85384 May 9, 2013
Ang, I sent you an email yesterday. Did you get it?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#85385 May 9, 2013
Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you watch Modern Family? Last week one of teh dad's accidentally gave the daughter $100 from teh toth fairy and they were trying to get it back. It was pretty funny.
That is the funniest show...loved the part last night, where the mom found out her name was still in the bathroom wall, at the skating rink...lol...Kinda miss Suburgatory, that was after it.....
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#85386 May 9, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>That is the funniest show...loved the part last night, where the mom found out her name was still in the bathroom wall, at the skating rink...lol...Kinda miss Suburgatory, that was after it.....
I DVR MF, so I'll watch it this weekend. I only caught Sub once or twice but liked it. I guess that'll haev to be a Netflix catch-up!!! But Modern is one of my faves!!!

Location hidden

#85387 May 9, 2013
Just was speaking on another thread about Riverview Amusement Park....Does anyone recall the old, S.Chicago destination?...it was there until it started falling apart, around 1967......

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#85388 May 9, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
Just was speaking on another thread about Riverview Amusement Park....Does anyone recall the old, S.Chicago destination?...it was there until it started falling apart, around 1967......
Riverview was at Belmont and Western on the north side. It was certainly there in 1967. I was there. It was probably torn down early to mid 1970's.

Old Chicago was an indoor mash up of an amusement park and mall at I 55 and Rte 53 in Plainfield/Joliet. That was torn down in the early 1980's. THere is still a street named for it on teh site right next to teh Bob Evans as I recall.

Location hidden

#85389 May 9, 2013
Was'nt Santa's Village just starting out in Gurnee, back then?.....We lived in Park Forest and went to Cedar Lake in Indiana alot, when i was little.....

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#85390 May 9, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>

You'd be surprised by how "smart" kids, who "know better" can make really stupid decisions. <nod nod>

http://www.aacap.org/cs/root/facts_for_famili...

That said, placing any blame on the victims for what this guy(s?) intentionally, with deliberation, malice, and forethought did is (IMO) the same as saying "well if she didn't dress like that she wouldn't have been raped so it's her fault." Yeah, dumb, dumb, dumb choice that she's been paying for for a really long time, but that takes away not one iota of 100% blame going to the perpetrator for his decision to find someone who was not as cautious as they should have been.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#85391 May 9, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
Was'nt Santa's Village just starting out in Gurnee, back then?.....We lived in Park Forest and went to Cedar Lake in Indiana alot, when i was little.....
Santa's Village was in Dundee or Carpentersville, out near I 90 and teh Fox River.

Gurnee has Great America which is still there and probably just about to open.

I am guessing you are at least in your 60's. I didn't think Park Forest was built until the mid 1950's (it is a planned from teh ground up community)

Location hidden

#85392 May 9, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Santa's Village was in Dundee or Carpentersville, out near I 90 and teh Fox River.
Gurnee has Great America which is still there and probably just about to open.
I am guessing you are at least in your 60's. I didn't think Park Forest was built until the mid 1950's (it is a planned from teh ground up community)
Yeah, class of 1970, Rich East...lol........we drive through PF on our way to Michigan sometimes....but i hate to see what the fed's social engineering did to Park Forest, it was so well designed as an award winning design for post-war middle class families, then they had those in public housing from Chicago dumped into it.....you can guess the rest.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 14 min RealDave 1,144,230
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 16 min Yumpin Yimminy 68,798
Pierre de Coubertin And Emancipation Proclamation (Jun '12) 27 min fukuda 4
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr wojar 180,954
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 2 hr JOEL 70,627
My true thoughts about this song. 3 hr WhyNotLookAtHer 3
Are you sick of Topix polls or do you vote? 3 hr TheyfuckUsAll 5
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance