United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

ScarletandOlive wrote:
I'm off to the library to check out some books. Quick, throw out some suggestions! I have read every Janet Evanovich, Linda Fairstein, James Patterson, Sue Grafton, Kathy Reichs book avail - just to give you an idea of the mindless fluff I read for a quick escape from reality.
Carl Hiaasen, John Grisham, Nicholas Evans (not as mindless, but still simple reading).

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

ScarletandOlive wrote:
I am probably going to regret this, but I think it is important to share data to help balance emotion.
http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/...
Not sure Chicago s following that trend....and even after emptying so much public housing on the southside into the suburbs, over the years.....Should we say, failed federal social engineering?

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

RACE wrote:
You people need to pick up your game here. So few posts to respond to, I am actually getting work done. If this keeps up, they are going to expect this level of performance from me.
I second this! Motion carried. Start being entertaining, everyone.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

ScarletandOlive wrote:
I'm off to the library to check out some books. Quick, throw out some suggestions! I have read every Janet Evanovich, Linda Fairstein, James Patterson, Sue Grafton, Kathy Reichs book avail - just to give you an idea of the mindless fluff I read for a quick escape from reality.
...Tom Clancy.....

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Couldn't imagine why people might think that. But I'm sure it has nothing to do with the liberal media or their agenda....
This is similar to what the Free Range Kids movement talks about. It's safer now than ever before to be a kid, but many parents feel it's more dangerous than ever. The media has something to do with that; we only hear about the few kids that have something bad happen to them, not the millions of others who have nothing bad happen to them. It skews how we perceive the danger in the world.
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

ScarletandOlive wrote:
Just finished "Honeymoon" by Patterson and really enjoyed it! If you like Dean Koontz, try "Fear Nothing" or "Tick Tock". Both were EXCELLENT and fun to read!!!

I have enought stress, I like to read fun stuff, too!

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>Bastard Out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison was an easy read. Not easy subject matter, really, but it reeled me in.

Jeanette Walls - Half-Broke Horses and The Glass Castle, both good.

Mennonite In A Little Black Dress
Darn it, I wrote down bastard out of Carolina after you recommended it, but couldn't find where I had written it this morning and couldn't think of it!

I liked Mennonite.

I picked up The Secret Life of Bees as one of my books. Anyone read that?

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>I'm a sci-fi girl mostly but I'm thinking about re-reading some of the Diana Gabaldon stuff. Sorta sci-fi sorta historical romance, definitely entertaining fluff.
I have read some of her stuff, but she is not able to hold my attention through the whole book (tried more than one to make sure it wasn't just that subject). Not sure what it is about her writing, since I have read several other verbose authors without issue.

I may have to try again in the future, though :)

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
Darn it, I wrote down bastard out of Carolina after you recommended it, but couldn't find where I had written it this morning and couldn't think of it!
I liked Mennonite.
I picked up The Secret Life of Bees as one of my books. Anyone read that?
Watched the movie; it was "meh" and a little predictable. I'm sure the book was better.

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Watched the movie; it was "meh" and a little predictable. I'm sure the book was better.
I didn't see the movie so I can't say for sure, but the book was good.

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
I have read some of her stuff, but she is not able to hold my attention through the whole book (tried more than one to make sure it wasn't just that subject). Not sure what it is about her writing, since I have read several other verbose authors without issue.
I may have to try again in the future, though :)
It's been awhile, so they may not be as good as I remember. <mimishrug>

I've been reading nothing but sci-fi for years now; C.J. Cherryh is my latest favorite. I love her stuff...

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>It's been awhile, so they may not be as good as I remember. <mimishrug>

I've been reading nothing but sci-fi for years now; C.J. Cherryh is my latest favorite. I love her stuff...
My Grandmother reads a lot (though she was a fan of Reader's Digest condensed books because they were pre-censored) and she loves Diana Gabaldon. She also really likes Elizabeth Peters, who I enjoyed reading as a teen.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>It's been awhile, so they may not be as good as I remember. <mimishrug>

Wait, if my last post came across as snobby or in any way mean, it wasn't meant to. My tastes in reading have in some ways simplified since I was in hs/college because I read for different reasons now. I threw in the comment about when I read the Elizabeth Peters books just as a frame of reference for me, not as a judgement on anyone else.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Not sure Chicago s following that trend....and even after emptying so much public housing on the southside into the suburbs, over the years.....Should we say, failed federal social engineering?
Do you have any data to support this or just "I think I hear about gun violence more often than I did years ago"?

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a sci-fi girl mostly but I'm thinking about re-reading some of the Diana Gabaldon stuff. Sorta sci-fi sorta historical romance, definitely entertaining fluff.
Yes Gabaldon. Start with Outlander.

If you like medieval historical mysteries, try Margaret Frazer's Dame Frevisse series. The order doesn't matter. Interesting tales, engaging writer

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
Wait, if my last post came across as snobby or in any way mean, it wasn't meant to. My tastes in reading have in some ways simplified since I was in hs/college because I read for different reasons now. I threw in the comment about when I read the Elizabeth Peters books just as a frame of reference for me, not as a judgement on anyone else.
I did not take anything you wrote as snobby. I was maybe agreeing with you since it had been awhile. Tastes totally change as you get older. I used to love love love me some Anne Rice. Now, I'm just meh about her stuff and gave most of her books away during my last move.(kept the Sleeping Beauty series tho, way up on a high shelf :D)

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Have you read the max series and the witch series from patterson? both geared to younger readers, but is mindless.
ScarletandOlive wrote:

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have any data to support this or just "I think I hear about gun violence more often than I did years ago"?
Gun violence within Chicago?....it's spoken of on the national news broadcasts, about once a week, especially amoung'st the young and black.....is it just reaching you?

“Licensed to Ill”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

One of the women, who was held captive by that guy, told investigators that she was on her way home from school in April 2004 when a man pulled up in a van and casually offered her a ride.

Teen or not, what moron gets into a strangers car in this day and age?

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

RACE wrote:
<quoted text>Have you read the max series and the witch series from patterson? both geared to younger readers, but is mindless.
No, I'll have to check them out.

One of my favorite series is the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan. It was written for teens, so the writing is very simple, but it is about Greek and Roman mythology. I get so excited when authors find a way to make history interesting to kids and teens. I love being able to talk about it in the classroom when there is down time or with my younger cousins.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 84,141 - 84,160 of97,514
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

109 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Oh Dat Barry Soetoro 1,078,518
No, Global Warming Did Not Create Chicago's Agi... 2 min Guest 1
Abby 7-23 3 min Community Disorganizer 8
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 22 min Beavis 174,477
Debate: Immigrants & K-12 - Chicago, IL (Dec '11) 40 min Brian Shepard 116
Debate: Marijuana - Chicago, IL (Aug '10) 52 min Brian Shepard 297
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 54 min TRD 67,877
•••

Beach Hazards Statement for Cook County was issued at July 23 at 10:02AM CDT

•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••