Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#85333 May 8, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably just that one moron. Seriously, that's something that would never even enter my head to do.
*I* wouldn't even get into a strangers car who casually pulled up and offered me a ride, and I'm fairly confident I can handle myself if I have to.

Location hidden

#85334 May 8, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
Thinking about lunch. Has anyone had Panera's mac and cheese? I'm dying for some, but I'm not going to bother if it's shyte.
Nope. Their food is pretty good, tho, and it's pretty hard to f' up mac and cheese. I would wager it's at least decent.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#85335 May 8, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
*I* wouldn't even get into a strangers car who casually pulled up and offered me a ride, and I'm fairly confident I can handle myself if I have to.
I have had TWO friends on maternity leave who had this happen:

New mom is out walking on a nice morning, with newborn in the snugli, just taking a walk.

Car pulls over at the curb, woman driving. With one friend it was one woman in the car. With another friend it was two women in a minivan. Both times, the new moms were berated for having their babies outside "in the cold" (M's baby was born late April, so this was in May, K's baby was born in August, so this was August and early SEptember), just chewing them out for being OUTSIDE WALKING WITH THEIR BABIES.

Who does this?

Location hidden

#85336 May 8, 2013
Oh, and both times, the women in the vhicles DEMANDED that my friends get in the car.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

#85337 May 8, 2013
i remember you mentioning that, red... and the follow up issue becomes what to do abuot riding in a car without teh proper, nay, any, carseat... and as long as the kid is fully clothed, has a hat and is bundled in a carrier, i see no issue iwth the outside temperatire in september or may...

somewhere i read that babies should have on one more layer than we adults would tolerate for the weather because they ahven't "learned" how to regulate temperature yet.

(cool my magic number is 3456!)

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#85338 May 8, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>I have had TWO friends on maternity leave who had this happen:

New mom is out walking on a nice morning, with newborn in the snugli, just taking a walk.

Car pulls over at the curb, woman driving. With one friend it was one woman in the car. With another friend it was two women in a minivan. Both times, the new moms were berated for having their babies outside "in the cold" (M's baby was born late April, so this was in May, K's baby was born in August, so this was August and early SEptember), just chewing them out for being OUTSIDE WALKING WITH THEIR BABIES.

Who does this?
People think they can tell new moms what to do all the time. I was often yelled at because my babies had bare feet while we were shopping. They were always in strollers and they'd get bored so they would take off their shoes and socks. I was not about to put them back on every 60 seconds because then it became a game. I covered their feet before we went outside.

Busybodies.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#85339 May 8, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>I have had TWO friends on maternity leave who had this happen:

Who does this?
Oh, and this happened to me once, too. I like walking and it kept Ry quiet (he was a very colicky baby).

People also offer us rides now when we walk to and from school on sunny days. Um, we live 5 minutes away from the school - on the same street! If we are walking, it is because we enjoy the fresh air.

Location hidden

#85340 May 8, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I have had TWO friends on maternity leave who had this happen:
Who does this?
Women can be so catty to each other.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#85341 May 8, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
Thinking about lunch. Has anyone had Panera's mac and cheese? I'm dying for some, but I'm not going to bother if it's shyte.
It's one of the only things my kids will eat from there. I think they may even have a new version with bacon.

“reign in blood”

United States

#85342 May 8, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Not sure Chicago s following that trend....
Yep. The murder rate has dropped in Chicago, too.

Location hidden

#85343 May 8, 2013
Aisle Sitter wrote:
somewhere i read that babies should have on one more layer than we adults would tolerate for the weather because they ahven't "learned" how to regulate temperature yet.
While it's good to keep babies bundled up in cold weather, babies have brown adipose tissue, which you lose as you grow. It's purpose is to generate heat. It is specifically designed to protect babies from these situations. Evolution...

Location hidden

#85344 May 8, 2013
Aisle Sitter wrote:
i remember you mentioning that, red... and the follow up issue becomes what to do abuot riding in a car without teh proper, nay, any, carseat... and as long as the kid is fully clothed, has a hat and is bundled in a carrier, i see no issue iwth the outside temperatire in september or may...
(cool my magic number is 3456!)
I've read more than once that babies tend to be kept warmer than they need to be. I guess I figure, if your baby seems happy, you're doing okay!

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#85345 May 8, 2013
Charles Ramsey is so f'ing awesome! This is what I mean by being part of your community. Speaking of, has Cycle checked in at all lately or did he make a goodbye statement?

http://www.inquisitr.com/653083/charles-ramse...

“It made sense at the time....”

Schaumburg, IL

#85346 May 8, 2013
I got some birth announcement-style photos of my nephews, and one of them was after bath time. we just put a diaper on him, grabbed his blanket and headed to teh front room. at one point, he felt really warm to me, so i loosened up teh blanket. then like five minutes later, he felt chilled, so i wrapped him up again and took the opportunity for a closer snuggle. no crying, no whining, all was good...

i realized that M was going to be iwht us at teh same age that A was when i took those photos, so i made sure i got some of M too. pretty cool to have the same thing at the same age!

Location hidden

#85347 May 8, 2013
There's a boy who used to ride my boys bus who has brain cancer.

Their school is doing a fund raiser for him and everyday for $1 the kids get to do something special, like chew gum or wear a hat this week. It think that is nice, but I would like to give more than that.

I don't think brain cancer is something with a good survival rate. Very sad.:(
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#85348 May 8, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
M co-workerscall it "Crack and cheese" because they love it so much. I've never hasd it because I love the broc/cheese soup and that's too much cheese!

Location hidden

#85349 May 8, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
Charles Ramsey is so f'ing awesome! This is what I mean by being part of your community. Speaking of, has Cycle checked in at all lately or did he make a goodbye statement?
http://www.inquisitr.com/653083/charles-ramse...
This guy is wonderful.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#85350 May 8, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
People think they can tell new moms what to do all the time. I was often yelled at because my babies had bare feet while we were shopping. They were always in strollers and they'd get bored so they would take off their shoes and socks. I was not about to put them back on every 60 seconds because then it became a game. I covered their feet before we went outside.
Busybodies.
Apparently babies develop their cold tolerance fairly early. There was a story a couple years ago about some Finnish grad students with a new baby who took it out in a stroller in the winter in what we would call light clothing because that's how babies are handled in Finland. Someone called Family Services allegeig child abuse when it was a cultural issue,

Location hidden

#85351 May 8, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
There's a boy who used to ride my boys bus who has brain cancer.
Their school is doing a fund raiser for him and everyday for $1 the kids get to do something special, like chew gum or wear a hat this week. It think that is nice, but I would like to give more than that.
I don't think brain cancer is something with a good survival rate. Very sad.:(
From what I just read, brain cancer is the leading cancer death among children, BUT, fewer than 60 children per year are diagnosed with it. So when you're dealing with such low numbers:

1. 60 kids per year is statistically insigificant.
2. That's not really enough people to work with to start making huge improvements in the survival rate.

Yes, it's very sad. His poor parents and siblings.:(

Location hidden

#85352 May 8, 2013
Now I"m finding things that contradict the "60 kids per year." Hmmm.

But I have read in a few places that it's nearly 100% incurable.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 min Jacques Ottawa 181,892
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 13 min Eric 71,129
Abby 12-22 15 min cheluzal 3
Amy 12-22 19 min cheluzal 8
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 24 min TRD 68,892
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 26 min mdbuilder 1,154,389
Chicago Psychic Medium and Spiritualist view of... 52 min reality is a crutch 1
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 7:50 pm PST

Bleacher Report 7:50PM
Colts Collapse Around Andrew Luck in Another Prime-Time Blowout
Bleacher Report11:31 PM
Can Bears Turn Back to Cutler After Loss?
NBC Sports 1:03 AM
Romo, Cowboys are in after 42-7 rout of Colts - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 4:46 AM
Can Hamilton Fix Colts Offense for Playoff Run?
NBC Sports 8:09 AM
Marc Trestman: We'll talk about whether Jimmy Clausen starts again