Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Make stew or chili. One ginormous pot to cook it in and (after 1st leftover, cause its always better after sitting for a day) parse out the remainder.

Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Study for a mid-term (on Monday), actively work on term paper(s), write some emails/grad school applications (because I'm still on the fence about Princeton), laundry, and spend Sunday doing the Rachel Ray week in a day meal preparation.
Not sure how well the last one will work, but I figure if I make five dinners in advance, stuff I can freeze, then I just need to take one out of the freezer each morning and I'll be good to go. So says the woman who was just thinking about taking some meat out of the freezer for tonight and sat down to muck around on the laptop instead...
Probably going to go somewhere quiet today (maybe get Pho!) and do my reading with my phone turned off so no one can "reach out and touch" me. Maybe get a mani/pedi and a haircut...or maybe just one of them because I'm not sure I can afford all three today.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

My chicken and dumplings (made with biscuits) came out great!
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

j_m_w wrote:
Thanks Ang!
Weekend plans, everyone?
It's Sunfest weekend here ( www.sunfest.org ) and so far it's been Rainfest - yesterday I joked to a couple of people how I don't remember moving to Seattle. We have had dreary weather all week and there are still storms in the forecast but it's sunny right now, so I'll take it! This morning was the first time since Monday that it wasn't raining when I walked my dogs.
I have tickets and plans for tonight, tomorrow and Sunday. There's a chance I might run into Jasper and PMS, but I'm mentally prepared for it.
We've had so much rain, too, but so far today looks good!

Shooting for Disney tomorrow - we have those residents passes we have to use by June 7. Last I checked it was 80% chance of rain. We figure we'll bring small umbrellas and/or ponchos and and just do inside stuff if it's rainy. We have a park-hopper, so we can do all indoor stuff at all the different parks if we want.

I'm very mad because I gave the ex permission to take my kid out of state for a family event over one of my May weekends. For the past 7 years, protocol dictates that it means we switch for another weekend. Always how it's been done. Now he decides that he doesn't want to give me my trade-off weekend, essentially having her 3 weekends in a row when I was just being nice letting him take her to a family event. I am so angry and depressed I could spit!!! Throw in the fact that he has contributed $0 to her except for part of her tuition in the last FIVE years and I am fit to be tied. Yeah, the time has come to start calling around for attorneys again.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
PE, I haven't seen many musicals -- fewer than 10, I'd guess -- but what always surprises me is there almost always is a dark undercurrent to them, even the ones that on the surface seem very happy and positive. Like, I read how "Showboat" is about racism. I've read that Carousel also has a dark theme to it. "South Pacific" also dealt with racism.
I think that's what makes them deeper and more interesting, but the commercials for them on TV never show the dark stuff.
The one I saw last night, Anything Goes is light and frothy without the dark undertones.Most of the Cole Porter stuff is light- lots of drunks but nothing about alcoholism: High Society, Anything Goes, Kiss Me Kate

Rogers and Hammerstein certainly have the undertones- I would have to look it up but I think the book orlyrics for Show Boat may also be Oscar Hammerstein.

Andrew Lloyd Webber can be overwrought and melodramatic, but the dark threads are part of teh main story, not undertomnes: Evita, Phantom of the Opera.

The opera houses hav tried to get a broader audience appeal by putting on Broadway musicals with opera company production values. THat doesn't work well here. One company lost a lot of money doing Carousel. Lyric Opera is running Oklahoma and there are a lot of cheap but good seats available on the discount site, meaning they are having trouble filling the house.I have not decided whether I am going to get a ticket yet.

I like the individial songs. I like hearing live performances with good voices and diction I can understand and I enjoy good production values like scenery and costumes. I can appreciate a story and like it best if the music advances teh story as opposed to just plopping a song in somewhere.

Saturday night is an Adrew Lloyd Webber overwrought melodrama: Aspects of Love.

FWIW, I am getting very good seats for $25-40 dollars. Last night I sat next to a group of women who had series subscriptions who probably paid twice what I did, not soemthing I mentioned.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

RACE wrote:
Make stew or chili. One ginormous pot to cook it in and (after 1st leftover, cause its always better after sitting for a day) parse out the remainder.
<quoted text>
1. Chicken and rice in the crock pot. You can season it different ways in teh individual pakets for teh freezer. That is this week.
2. Last week it was Beef barly with mushrooms in teh crock pot. Should have been soup but I didn't have enough beef broth around so it turned into a ragu. Very excellent, all week.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not a bad idea. I thought about making a veggie lasagna or some other kind of casserole I could put into individual portions too. Just bump it up with a salad or sliced tomatoes or something and voila..dinner. Breakfast and lunch are pretty standard for me (yogurt, string cheese, fruit of some kind, and Starbucks...lunch is almost always a salad of some kind) so I need to worry only about dinner. I was so tired the other night dinner was a croissant with cream cheese, by breakfast I was starving, so yeah, need to have stuff here that I can just nuke.

“What's it to ya?”

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

RACE wrote:
My chicken and dumplings (made with biscuits) came out great!
That's good to know. I'm a pretty good cook, actually most of the time people really like whatever I make (not bragging) but decent dumplings are beyond me...apparently. I keep trying, and failing. Next time I make chicken and dumplings I'm going to do the biscuit thing. Might just have to be my "cheat" thing. Plus, saves time and effort...<shrug>

Ohhhh maybe I'll make that tonight. It was the canned biscuits right?

“What's it to ya?”

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
We've had so much rain, too, but so far today looks good!
Shooting for Disney tomorrow - we have those residents passes we have to use by June 7. Last I checked it was 80% chance of rain. We figure we'll bring small umbrellas and/or ponchos and and just do inside stuff if it's rainy. We have a park-hopper, so we can do all indoor stuff at all the different parks if we want.
I'm very mad because I gave the ex permission to take my kid out of state for a family event over one of my May weekends. For the past 7 years, protocol dictates that it means we switch for another weekend. Always how it's been done. Now he decides that he doesn't want to give me my trade-off weekend, essentially having her 3 weekends in a row when I was just being nice letting him take her to a family event. I am so angry and depressed I could spit!!! Throw in the fact that he has contributed $0 to her except for part of her tuition in the last FIVE years and I am fit to be tied. Yeah, the time has come to start calling around for attorneys again.
Ah I'm sorry. It so sucks dealing with a bad ex, especially if you have a kid. I was so fortunate that I never had to deal with all of that stuff. I think you're right. Sounds like time to get an attorney. I suppose technically he's within his rights to have her on "his" weekends, but that's still a crappy thing to do especially since you guys have a protocol in place that you've been using over all these years. <nod nod>
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah I'm sorry. It so sucks dealing with a bad ex, especially if you have a kid. I was so fortunate that I never had to deal with all of that stuff. I think you're right. Sounds like time to get an attorney. I suppose technically he's within his rights to have her on "his" weekends, but that's still a crappy thing to do especially since you guys have a protocol in place that you've been using over all these years. <nod nod>
Yeah, somehow I feel like I am getting Scr#wed because I was being a good person and thought it was important that he take her to her cousin's graduation out of state because she doesn't see that part of the family that often. That's what I get for trying to be a good parent.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, somehow I feel like I am getting Scr#wed because I was being a good person and thought it was important that he take her to her cousin's graduation out of state because she doesn't see that part of the family that often. That's what I get for trying to be a good parent.
And you are a good parent. He's the douchebag.

And during those three weeks you're going to think about Stina and what Stina wants so you're recharged when your daughter comes back home. You probably don't think of yourself much which makes you an awesome mother, but you need to think of yourself as well.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

j_m_w wrote:
Weekend plans, everyone?
tonight: nuthin.

sat: swimming and then ice skating. I will be so happy when this spring ice show is over...

Then we *have* to do some grocery shopping.

sun: gonna make french toast (Lulu reqested it) and them maybe try and do something fun. we're going to miss the kite festival on saturday because of the ice skating, so maybe we'll just go to the hill it's held on and have our own little kite festival. We have enough of them...

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry you have to deal with this type of BS.

My parents certainly have their flaws, but they would have never pulled any cr*p like this. And for that I'm eternally grateful.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

j_m_w wrote:
Weekend plans, everyone?
Today I'm still feeling some side effects from my migraine meds (numbness and "loopiness" - my doc's word), so I'm taking it easy. It happens every once in a while, but it's better than a headache.

Tomorrow we have soccer practice in the morning, tball game in the afternoon, and I'm going to a Tupperware party at my cousin's house in the evening. I don't feel any pressure to buy, but I do like the quality of the merchandise so I might get something and I love the company.

Sunday Ry's soccer game isn't until 11.30, so we'll be able to go to church early, then head to my MIL's house after.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

Stina wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, somehow I feel like I am getting Scr#wed because I was being a good person and thought it was important that he take her to her cousin's graduation out of state because she doesn't see that part of the family that often. That's what I get for trying to be a good parent.
You are being a good person and you are putting your daughter first, which you know is the most important thing. If he does not respect your role as her primary caregiver, though, he leaves you no choice and that sucks.

(((Stina)))
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
And you are a good parent. He's the douchebag.
And during those three weeks you're going to think about Stina and what Stina wants so you're recharged when your daughter comes back home. You probably don't think of yourself much which makes you an awesome mother, but you need to think of yourself as well.
Thanks - I am just so aggravated right now!!!
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry you have to deal with this type of BS.
My parents certainly have their flaws, but they would have never pulled any cr*p like this. And for that I'm eternally grateful.
Thanks, squish!

He gets like this sometimes. I just have to suck it up and get a lawyer. If I have to pay him, so be it. But this is ridiculous.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Since: Feb 13

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

RACE wrote:
Not surprising, you're the one who said it. Guess you cant be bothered with thinking before you type.
<quoted text>
I never said it. Never ever ever never. You will not find me saying that anywhere. I previously explicitly stated that was not my position. Find one example of me saying all firearms should be eliminated. You won't be able to.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
You.
<quoted text>
Let the back-peddling begin...!
I'll be happy to continue this if you want to start another thread. The others have made it pretty clear they would appreciate the Regs thread not being gunked up with this stuff.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
PE, I haven't seen many musicals -- fewer than 10, I'd guess -- but what always surprises me is there almost always is a dark undercurrent to them, even the ones that on the surface seem very happy and positive. Like, I read how "Showboat" is about racism. I've read that Carousel also has a dark theme to it. "South Pacific" also dealt with racism.
I think that's what makes them deeper and more interesting, but the commercials for them on TV never show the dark stuff.
Did you see Rent? Same thing. Some really good, fun music, but kinda dark underneath.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Stina, what the others said!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 83,921 - 83,940 of96,104
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

69 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min dumdemsmama 1,033,874
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 11 min Grand Birther 167,538
Amy 4-18 24 min Toj 35
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr Frijoles 65,115
Abby 4-17 1 hr edogxxx 48
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 42,973
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 hr CDC 47,055
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance