<quoted text>I saw Rent and literally almost fell asleep
Really? I would love to see it.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#85094 May 3, 2013
Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you see Rent? Same thing. Some really good, fun music, but kinda dark underneath.
Yeah. I saw it at the Schubert. It had the one good song. However when the main gil has died of AIDS at the end and she is on the gurney and suddenly sits bolt upright singing the Mimi melody from LaBoheme I almost plotzed (nod to AS) and not in a good way. A good friend walked out at intermission and I couldn't blame him but the tickets were expensive so I stayed.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#85095 May 3, 2013
Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you see Rent? Same thing. Some really good, fun music, but kinda dark underneath.
You know its a direct ripoff of the story from La Boheme?

Format for any opera: Boy gets girl, Boyloses girl, Someone dies. Wash rinse and repeat.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#85096 May 3, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
Come to think of it....Miss Saigon and West Side Story are about race....but not Oklahoma or Paint Your Wagon......
Oklahoma has the bad guy (Rod Steiger in the movie)who lusts after (?) Laurie and tries to stab out Curly's eye with the dirty picture kaeidoscope....

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#85097 May 3, 2013
Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks - I am just so aggravated right now!!!
You are doing it right.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#85098 May 3, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Rogers and Hammerstein certainly have the undertones- I would have to look it up but I think the book orlyrics for Show Boat may also be Oscar Hammerstein.
Yep. Book and lyrics to Showboat are by Oscar Hammerstein of Carousel, South Pacfic, Sound of Music... Cinderella

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Since: Feb 13

United States

#85099 May 3, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
You know its a direct ripoff of the story from La Boheme?
Format for any opera: Boy gets girl, Boyloses girl, Someone dies. Wash rinse and repeat.
Sure, they don't really try to hide it, what with La Vie Boheme and all. There are probably 7-8 songs from Rent that I really enjoy. The movie version I did not like.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#85100 May 3, 2013
Huh, Comcast Sports Net fired hottie Susannah Collins for saying the Blackhawks have had lots of sex instead of success on accident.

“boredom made me do it”

ny, ny

#85101 May 3, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah. I saw it at the Schubert. It had the one good song. However when the main gil has died of AIDS at the end and she is on the gurney and suddenly sits bolt upright singing the Mimi melody from LaBoheme I almost plotzed (nod to AS) and not in a good way. A good friend walked out at intermission and I couldn't blame him but the tickets were expensive so I stayed.
I liked it, but I saw it a year or so into its run in NYC, so cast might also have had something to do with it. Don't ask me who the cast was, I just remember the face of the one really cute guy.

My sister who has some theater ties reports that the script was extensively workshopped and was routinely panned before the reworks and then author died. Between the reworks and the current staging at the time of his death, it finally took off.

Location hidden

#85102 May 3, 2013
There must be more going on than they are officially saying.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#85103 May 3, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah. I saw it at the Schubert. It had the one good song. However when the main gil has died of AIDS at the end and she is on the gurney and suddenly sits bolt upright singing the Mimi melody from LaBoheme I almost plotzed (nod to AS) and not in a good way. A good friend walked out at intermission and I couldn't blame him but the tickets were expensive so I stayed.
I love the songs. It is one of the few musicals that I prefer the movie to the stage version. The actors in the movie are almost all the original Broadway actors.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#85104 May 3, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
There must be more going on than they are officially saying.
They are saying that this slip has brought attention to her previous work.

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/arti...

“boredom made me do it”

ny, ny

#85105 May 3, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
They are saying that this slip has brought attention to her previous work.
http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/arti...
They knew about her previous work when they hired her. And if they didn't, somebody in HR needs to be fired.

If it was okay with them when they hired her, they should be prepared to stand up and defend her now. It was always going to become an issue at some point.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#85106 May 3, 2013
animaniactoo wrote:
<quoted text>They knew about her previous work when they hired her. And if they didn't, somebody in HR needs to be fired.

If it was okay with them when they hired her, they should be prepared to stand up and defend her now. It was always going to become an issue at some point.
I agree. I think employers don't understand that if they are not loyal to their employees, employees will not be loyal to them.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#85107 May 3, 2013
Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
I never said it. Never ever ever never. You will not find me saying that anywhere.
Then please enlighten us. What exactly were you trying to say when you said: "You can't bring something you don't have in the first place."?

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#85108 May 3, 2013
animaniactoo wrote:
<quoted text>
They knew about her previous work when they hired her. And if they didn't, somebody in HR needs to be fired.
Iagree.

Location hidden

#85109 May 3, 2013
I thought she did a good job, was well spoken, and she's hot!

Boos and hisses at Comcast!!

Location hidden

#85110 May 3, 2013
animaniactoo wrote:
<quoted text>They knew about her previous work when they hired her. And if they didn't, somebody in HR needs to be fired.

ITA

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#85111 May 3, 2013
Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
I'll be happy to continue this if you want to start another thread. The others have made it pretty clear they would appreciate the Regs thread not being gunked up with this stuff.
They can suck it and learn to skip posts. I don't particularly want to read about musicals.(Although the only musical I ever saw was "Oliver" and thought it was pretty good.)

Since: Mar 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#85112 May 3, 2013
PEllen wrote:
Wait, Mimi's not DEAD! She's very ill (probably pneumonia) and has a near-death experience (...there was this warm white light, and I swear, Angel was there....and she looked GOOD!)

But Angel tells Mimi to go back (..turn around, girl, and listen to that boy's song!), so Mimi's fever breaks and she wakes up.

Yes, Mimi (and Roger!) have HIV/AIDS and will most likely die young -- but it won't be that day. As for April (Roger's former girlfriend who died), she didn't die of AIDS. She cut her wrists in the bathtub after being diagnosed.

LOL, I love musicals! And many of them are pretty dark underneath. Opera, ya know! Keith, on the other hand, doesn't care for them. I took him to Sweeney Todd, and he said, "Oh, it was all right....except for all that damn singing!" Uh, Sweetie...it's a musical!

Yes, Rent is La Boheme. And West Side Story is Romeo & Juliet. An The Lion King is Hamlet.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Grey Ghost 1,156,545
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 6 min Dale 182,233
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 15 min Hatti_Hollerand 4,926
Chicago police stop black motorists more, ACLU ... 25 min joey 9
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 58 min TRD 68,923
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 2 hr L Morales 71,296
Fight at Navy Pier 2 hr ThejigsANDnigsAll 4
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:19 pm PST