Topix Chitown Regulars

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Since: Feb 13

United States

#85084 May 3, 2013
RACE wrote:
Not surprising, you're the one who said it. Guess you cant be bothered with thinking before you type.
<quoted text>
I never said it. Never ever ever never. You will not find me saying that anywhere. I previously explicitly stated that was not my position. Find one example of me saying all firearms should be eliminated. You won't be able to.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

United States

#85085 May 3, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
You.
<quoted text>
Let the back-peddling begin...!
I'll be happy to continue this if you want to start another thread. The others have made it pretty clear they would appreciate the Regs thread not being gunked up with this stuff.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

United States

#85086 May 3, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
PE, I haven't seen many musicals -- fewer than 10, I'd guess -- but what always surprises me is there almost always is a dark undercurrent to them, even the ones that on the surface seem very happy and positive. Like, I read how "Showboat" is about racism. I've read that Carousel also has a dark theme to it. "South Pacific" also dealt with racism.
I think that's what makes them deeper and more interesting, but the commercials for them on TV never show the dark stuff.
Did you see Rent? Same thing. Some really good, fun music, but kinda dark underneath.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#85087 May 3, 2013
Stina, what the others said!

Location hidden

#85088 May 3, 2013
Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you see Rent? Same thing. Some really good, fun music, but kinda dark underneath.
I didn't, but THAT one I do know more about, because it's one of those rare "new" musicals.
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#85089 May 3, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Stina, what the others said!
thanks ang
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#85090 May 3, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
You are being a good person and you are putting your daughter first, which you know is the most important thing. If he does not respect your role as her primary caregiver, though, he leaves you no choice and that sucks.
(((Stina)))
Thanks for the hugs!

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#85091 May 3, 2013
Come to think of it....Miss Saigon and West Side Story are about race....but not Oklahoma or Paint Your Wagon......

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#85092 May 3, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't, but THAT one I do know more about, because it's one of those rare "new" musicals.
I saw Rent and literally almost fell asleep

Location hidden

#85093 May 3, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>I saw Rent and literally almost fell asleep
Really? I would love to see it.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#85094 May 3, 2013
Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah. I saw it at the Schubert. It had the one good song. However when the main gil has died of AIDS at the end and she is on the gurney and suddenly sits bolt upright singing the Mimi melody from LaBoheme I almost plotzed (nod to AS) and not in a good way. A good friend walked out at intermission and I couldn't blame him but the tickets were expensive so I stayed.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#85095 May 3, 2013
Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
<quoted text>
You know its a direct ripoff of the story from La Boheme?

Format for any opera: Boy gets girl, Boyloses girl, Someone dies. Wash rinse and repeat.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#85096 May 3, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
Come to think of it....Miss Saigon and West Side Story are about race....but not Oklahoma or Paint Your Wagon......
Oklahoma has the bad guy (Rod Steiger in the movie)who lusts after (?) Laurie and tries to stab out Curly's eye with the dirty picture kaeidoscope....

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#85097 May 3, 2013
Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks - I am just so aggravated right now!!!
You are doing it right.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#85098 May 3, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Rogers and Hammerstein certainly have the undertones- I would have to look it up but I think the book orlyrics for Show Boat may also be Oscar Hammerstein.
Yep. Book and lyrics to Showboat are by Oscar Hammerstein of Carousel, South Pacfic, Sound of Music... Cinderella

“FD&S is no way to be.”

United States

#85099 May 3, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
You know its a direct ripoff of the story from La Boheme?
Format for any opera: Boy gets girl, Boyloses girl, Someone dies. Wash rinse and repeat.
Sure, they don't really try to hide it, what with La Vie Boheme and all. There are probably 7-8 songs from Rent that I really enjoy. The movie version I did not like.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#85100 May 3, 2013
Huh, Comcast Sports Net fired hottie Susannah Collins for saying the Blackhawks have had lots of sex instead of success on accident.

“boredom made me do it”

ny, ny

#85101 May 3, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah. I saw it at the Schubert. It had the one good song. However when the main gil has died of AIDS at the end and she is on the gurney and suddenly sits bolt upright singing the Mimi melody from LaBoheme I almost plotzed (nod to AS) and not in a good way. A good friend walked out at intermission and I couldn't blame him but the tickets were expensive so I stayed.
I liked it, but I saw it a year or so into its run in NYC, so cast might also have had something to do with it. Don't ask me who the cast was, I just remember the face of the one really cute guy.

My sister who has some theater ties reports that the script was extensively workshopped and was routinely panned before the reworks and then author died. Between the reworks and the current staging at the time of his death, it finally took off.

Location hidden

#85102 May 3, 2013
There must be more going on than they are officially saying.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#85103 May 3, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah. I saw it at the Schubert. It had the one good song. However when the main gil has died of AIDS at the end and she is on the gurney and suddenly sits bolt upright singing the Mimi melody from LaBoheme I almost plotzed (nod to AS) and not in a good way. A good friend walked out at intermission and I couldn't blame him but the tickets were expensive so I stayed.
I love the songs. It is one of the few musicals that I prefer the movie to the stage version. The actors in the movie are almost all the original Broadway actors.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Grey Ghost 1,277,194
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 6 min Community Disorga... 54,550
News Doctor disciplined for allegedly chastising Chi... (Jul '09) 28 min pailrider 161
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 58 min Red_Forman 6,434
Word (Dec '08) 59 min Red_Forman 5,429
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 5 hr Joe Balls 196,955
News Arrests made after Two-Month burglary Spree in ... 6 hr fedupcracker 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages