“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#85053 May 2, 2013
RACE wrote:
ZING!
That is actually really good.
Eh, pointing out a liberal's hypocrisy is kinda like stealing candy from a baby. Too easy and therefor not much of a victory.

“boredom made me do it”

Since: Aug 08

ny, ny

#85054 May 2, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahem, Cat Woman?
I think she made an okay Storm. But the comic book Storm was actually Egyptian. They should have used a Middle Eastern actress. Then again, comic book Wolverine was practically a midget. In Hollywood it's more about fame and pretty faces. Halley Berry was well known and popular. And the people probably wouldn't have gotten on board with a midget Wolverine. It's all about selling tickets.
Wait... what? Methinks you have not done nearly enough reading. Let's start here:

1) The character is African and is considered a goddess in her homeland. She lived in Egypt until she was a teenager when she returned to Africa.
2) Halle Berry is not statuesque.
3) Halle Berry does not do quiet powerful strength and dignity. She does weak trembling quiet strength and scrappiness.
4) Wolverine is short, but he is not a midget. His portrayed height differential is not as great as Storm's.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#85055 May 2, 2013
animaniactoo wrote:
<quoted text>
Wait... what? Methinks you have not done nearly enough reading. Let's start here:
1) The character is African and is considered a goddess in her homeland. She lived in Egypt until she was a teenager when she returned to Africa.
3) Halle Berry does not do quiet powerful strength and dignity. She does weak trembling quiet strength and scrappiness.
4) Wolverine is short, but he is not a midget. His portrayed height differential is not as great as Storm's.
Sorry. Thanks. Guess I'm not much of a nerd.

“boredom made me do it”

ny, ny

#85056 May 2, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry. Thanks. Guess I'm not much of a nerd.
Apparently not. In this context, the correct term is GEEK tyvm.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#85057 May 2, 2013
animaniactoo wrote:
<quoted text>
Egypt is in Africa.

“boredom made me do it”

ny, ny

#85058 May 2, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Egypt is in Africa.
That's a valid point. Vague memory says she's more from one of the middle countries though - i.e. deeply entrenched in what we think of as African Culture, not Egyptian culture which is largely Arabic.

“It made sense at the time....”

Des Plaines, IL

#85059 May 2, 2013
Pelly, i have a question about a yiddish-ism... does one plotz over something or plotz from it...? i had to define it to someone who has seen some one plotzing on many occasions, but hadn't heard the term.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#85060 May 2, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Eh, pointing out a liberal's hypocrisy is kinda like stealing candy from a baby. Too easy and therefor not much of a victory.
Have you ever actually tried prying a piece of something sweet away from a baby?
The process leaves bruises ...on both parties. Just sayin'

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#85061 May 2, 2013
Aisle Sitter wrote:
Pelly, i have a question about a yiddish-ism... does one plotz over something or plotz from it...? i had to define it to someone who has seen some one plotzing on many occasions, but hadn't heard the term.
Had to think about that.
Plotz is an active verb. Metaphorical collapse in aggravation, frustration or being really tired.

I could just plotz from trying to get Edog and Sam to play nice. I wouldn't plotz over them. Unless I just collapsed on the couch after a really long day , I wouldn't think someone would see me physically plotz.

There is a book by Leo Rosten called The Joys of Yiddish that was like the OED of Yiddish when I was growing up.

Yiddish is a combination of mostly German with Hebrew, some Polish and probably some of the Russian languages mixed in. You could probably take the German usage and feel confident you weren't mangling things too badly.

True story: I was at the Tower of London with my daughter. We ere surrounded by noting but German speaking tourists and I needed to ask where eh restaurants/food were. I dredged up my old Yiddish and it worked just fine. Either that or they thought I was threatening to cannibalize the kid. Either way it worked.

Location hidden

#85062 May 3, 2013
Good morning. I'm going to try to get the columns posted.

Location hidden

#85063 May 3, 2013

Location hidden

#85064 May 3, 2013

Location hidden

#85065 May 3, 2013
PE, I haven't seen many musicals -- fewer than 10, I'd guess -- but what always surprises me is there almost always is a dark undercurrent to them, even the ones that on the surface seem very happy and positive. Like, I read how "Showboat" is about racism. I've read that Carousel also has a dark theme to it. "South Pacific" also dealt with racism.

I think that's what makes them deeper and more interesting, but the commercials for them on TV never show the dark stuff.

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#85066 May 3, 2013
Thanks Ang!

Weekend plans, everyone?

It's Sunfest weekend here ( www.sunfest.org ) and so far it's been Rainfest - yesterday I joked to a couple of people how I don't remember moving to Seattle. We have had dreary weather all week and there are still storms in the forecast but it's sunny right now, so I'll take it! This morning was the first time since Monday that it wasn't raining when I walked my dogs.

I have tickets and plans for tonight, tomorrow and Sunday. There's a chance I might run into Jasper and PMS, but I'm mentally prepared for it.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#85067 May 3, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
Thanks Ang!
Weekend plans, everyone?
Study for a mid-term (on Monday), actively work on term paper(s), write some emails/grad school applications (because I'm still on the fence about Princeton), laundry, and spend Sunday doing the Rachel Ray week in a day meal preparation.

Not sure how well the last one will work, but I figure if I make five dinners in advance, stuff I can freeze, then I just need to take one out of the freezer each morning and I'll be good to go. So says the woman who was just thinking about taking some meat out of the freezer for tonight and sat down to muck around on the laptop instead...

Probably going to go somewhere quiet today (maybe get Pho!) and do my reading with my phone turned off so no one can "reach out and touch" me. Maybe get a mani/pedi and a haircut...or maybe just one of them because I'm not sure I can afford all three today.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#85068 May 3, 2013
Make stew or chili. One ginormous pot to cook it in and (after 1st leftover, cause its always better after sitting for a day) parse out the remainder.

Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Study for a mid-term (on Monday), actively work on term paper(s), write some emails/grad school applications (because I'm still on the fence about Princeton), laundry, and spend Sunday doing the Rachel Ray week in a day meal preparation.
Not sure how well the last one will work, but I figure if I make five dinners in advance, stuff I can freeze, then I just need to take one out of the freezer each morning and I'll be good to go. So says the woman who was just thinking about taking some meat out of the freezer for tonight and sat down to muck around on the laptop instead...
Probably going to go somewhere quiet today (maybe get Pho!) and do my reading with my phone turned off so no one can "reach out and touch" me. Maybe get a mani/pedi and a haircut...or maybe just one of them because I'm not sure I can afford all three today.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#85069 May 3, 2013
My chicken and dumplings (made with biscuits) came out great!
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#85070 May 3, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
Thanks Ang!
Weekend plans, everyone?
It's Sunfest weekend here ( www.sunfest.org ) and so far it's been Rainfest - yesterday I joked to a couple of people how I don't remember moving to Seattle. We have had dreary weather all week and there are still storms in the forecast but it's sunny right now, so I'll take it! This morning was the first time since Monday that it wasn't raining when I walked my dogs.
I have tickets and plans for tonight, tomorrow and Sunday. There's a chance I might run into Jasper and PMS, but I'm mentally prepared for it.
We've had so much rain, too, but so far today looks good!

Shooting for Disney tomorrow - we have those residents passes we have to use by June 7. Last I checked it was 80% chance of rain. We figure we'll bring small umbrellas and/or ponchos and and just do inside stuff if it's rainy. We have a park-hopper, so we can do all indoor stuff at all the different parks if we want.

I'm very mad because I gave the ex permission to take my kid out of state for a family event over one of my May weekends. For the past 7 years, protocol dictates that it means we switch for another weekend. Always how it's been done. Now he decides that he doesn't want to give me my trade-off weekend, essentially having her 3 weekends in a row when I was just being nice letting him take her to a family event. I am so angry and depressed I could spit!!! Throw in the fact that he has contributed $0 to her except for part of her tuition in the last FIVE years and I am fit to be tied. Yeah, the time has come to start calling around for attorneys again.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#85071 May 3, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
PE, I haven't seen many musicals -- fewer than 10, I'd guess -- but what always surprises me is there almost always is a dark undercurrent to them, even the ones that on the surface seem very happy and positive. Like, I read how "Showboat" is about racism. I've read that Carousel also has a dark theme to it. "South Pacific" also dealt with racism.
I think that's what makes them deeper and more interesting, but the commercials for them on TV never show the dark stuff.
The one I saw last night, Anything Goes is light and frothy without the dark undertones.Most of the Cole Porter stuff is light- lots of drunks but nothing about alcoholism: High Society, Anything Goes, Kiss Me Kate

Rogers and Hammerstein certainly have the undertones- I would have to look it up but I think the book orlyrics for Show Boat may also be Oscar Hammerstein.

Andrew Lloyd Webber can be overwrought and melodramatic, but the dark threads are part of teh main story, not undertomnes: Evita, Phantom of the Opera.

The opera houses hav tried to get a broader audience appeal by putting on Broadway musicals with opera company production values. THat doesn't work well here. One company lost a lot of money doing Carousel. Lyric Opera is running Oklahoma and there are a lot of cheap but good seats available on the discount site, meaning they are having trouble filling the house.I have not decided whether I am going to get a ticket yet.

I like the individial songs. I like hearing live performances with good voices and diction I can understand and I enjoy good production values like scenery and costumes. I can appreciate a story and like it best if the music advances teh story as opposed to just plopping a song in somewhere.

Saturday night is an Adrew Lloyd Webber overwrought melodrama: Aspects of Love.

FWIW, I am getting very good seats for $25-40 dollars. Last night I sat next to a group of women who had series subscriptions who probably paid twice what I did, not soemthing I mentioned.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#85072 May 3, 2013
RACE wrote:
Make stew or chili. One ginormous pot to cook it in and (after 1st leftover, cause its always better after sitting for a day) parse out the remainder.
<quoted text>
1. Chicken and rice in the crock pot. You can season it different ways in teh individual pakets for teh freezer. That is this week.
2. Last week it was Beef barly with mushrooms in teh crock pot. Should have been soup but I didn't have enough beef broth around so it turned into a ragu. Very excellent, all week.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 24 min Learn to Read 182,126
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 36 min No Warming 49,335
For a meat-centric dinner, meet at Skrine Chops (Jan '08) 4 hr Reddog 6
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 hr UnderstandPeople 1,156,051
delhi female 7 hr yatharth 1
Fight at Navy Pier 7 hr joey 1
abby 12-26 8 hr Mister Tonka 4
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago