Comments
83,721 - 83,740 of 97,524 Comments Last updated 4 hrs ago

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#84885
Apr 30, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Toj wrote:
Hey, Mimi. A friend of mine mentioned she was invited to a Muslim wedding. A coworker is getting married. She wants to go out of respectful curiosity and doesn't know what to expect. She hasn't responded yet because the coworker is a PITA and that's a reason she really doesn't want to go.
The curiosity and learning experience is pushing her towards it.
How does a Muslim wedding (usually) differ from other weddings/ceremonies? And the reception as well?
I went to a Muslim reception once. I'd say dress conservatively and go have fun. Don't expect booze, though. Definitely one of the biggest and most expensive receptions I've ever been to.

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#84886
Apr 30, 2013
 
Are you guys seeing the ads on the left side of the Topix screens? They're annoying.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#84887
Apr 30, 2013
 
YUP, very very annoying.
j_m_w wrote:
Are you guys seeing the ads on the left side of the Topix screens? They're annoying.
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#84888
Apr 30, 2013
 
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
We have snow predicted here on Thursday.
It's not even funny at this point.
Sorry, but it kinda is!:P

Been in the 80s here!!!
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#84889
Apr 30, 2013
 
RACE wrote:
YUP, very very annoying.
<quoted text>
They've been driving me crazy! well, crazier...

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#84890
Apr 30, 2013
 
j_m_w wrote:
Are you guys seeing the ads on the left side of the Topix screens? They're annoying.
I only see then on the right.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#84891
Apr 30, 2013
 
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
We have snow predicted here on Thursday.
It's not even funny at this point.
It isn't. We're suppose to get up to 83 today. Warm weather has to be coming your way soon.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#84892
Apr 30, 2013
 

Judged:

1

It's called "ads by zinc" or something. it slides out from the left side, then slides back, then out again, then back, then.....

I have flash turned off, so when I clicked the x it minimized, and since then has dissapeared.
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
I only see then on the right.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#84893
Apr 30, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Yeah, but you're cute crazy!
Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
They've been driving me crazy! well, crazier...

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#84894
Apr 30, 2013
 
RACE wrote:
It's called "ads by zinc" or something. it slides out from the left side, then slides back, then out again, then back, then.....
I have flash turned off, so when I clicked the x it minimized, and since then has dissapeared.
<quoted text>
I don't even have Flash on Firefox - for this reason - and I still see the stupid zinc ads sliding over.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#84895
Apr 30, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
It isn't. We're suppose to get up to 83 today. Warm weather has to be coming your way soon.
That same weather that's going to be snow in MN will make it cold and rainy here. Weekend highs are predicted to be in the 50's.

I've already lost my tulips, so really I don't care anymore.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#84896
Apr 30, 2013
 
RACE wrote:
It's called "ads by zinc" or something. it slides out from the left side, then slides back, then out again, then back, then.....
I have flash turned off, so when I clicked the x it minimized, and since then has dissapeared.
<quoted text>
Yeah, not seeing those. Yay!

My work computer is so protected (read messed-up) that most of the time I can't even see the avatars. Just the little red x where the photo should be. Not even sure that the new one of the puppy I put up a few days ago is showing since at home I check topix on my phone.

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#84897
Apr 30, 2013
 
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, not seeing those. Yay!
My work computer is so protected (read messed-up) that most of the time I can't even see the avatars. Just the little red x where the photo should be. Not even sure that the new one of the puppy I put up a few days ago is showing since at home I check topix on my phone.
I see the puppy.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#84898
Apr 30, 2013
 
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
I see the puppy.
thanks jmw!

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#84899
Apr 30, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but it kinda is!:P
Been in the 80s here!!!
It was almost 80 here yesterday, gorgeous for softball. 40 tomorrow with rain and snow.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#84900
Apr 30, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

squishy: Adorable puppy! And is that your oldest daughter holding him, wearing the crazy pants? Those are fun!

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#84901
Apr 30, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Toj wrote:
Hey, Mimi. A friend of mine mentioned she was invited to a Muslim wedding. A coworker is getting married. She wants to go out of respectful curiosity and doesn't know what to expect. She hasn't responded yet because the coworker is a PITA and that's a reason she really doesn't want to go.
The curiosity and learning experience is pushing her towards it.
How does a Muslim wedding (usually) differ from other weddings/ceremonies? And the reception as well?
Well it depends on the particular culture. I got married in Morocco and Moroccan weddings are all night affairs. We actually GOT married in a civil service at the Mosque/court house by the judge/priest ("Adul") then we went home and had a blow out party that lasted for about 18 hours. Lots of food, music and everyone in the city was there.

I don't know if other cultures have an actual ceremony (similar to "American style" weddings) or not. Ours was pretty perfunctory, just the legal stuff. "Do you agree to marry him? Did he give you $2500.00?" "Sigh here." They asked him the same stuff (minus the money question...in Islam the husband pays the wife a dowery...it is supposed to be $2500.00 per the Koran...it's her separate property) and he signed.

IIRC, his mother (who was with us) signed as a witness, but I don't really remember for sure. Of course in the US there are legal requirements for witnesses and such depending on which state you're in.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#84902
Apr 30, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
They bomb a bus at the end.
Fluck you!

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#84903
Apr 30, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Mimi Seattle wrote:
Fluck you!
Your willingness to marry a Muslim doesn't make you a very good feminist.
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#84904
Apr 30, 2013
 
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
It was almost 80 here yesterday, gorgeous for softball. 40 tomorrow with rain and snow.
I do hate when it's inconsistent like that!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

67 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 min obama 48,890
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 9 min USAsince1680 1,079,655
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 41 min Milsack 174,600
One kilometre high and counting (Jul '07) 55 min TW_sugar_daddio 10
Amy 7-24 1 hr loose cannon 19
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr andet1987 4,554
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr JOEL 68,371
Abby 7-24 2 hr Pippa 42
•••
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••