Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#84910 Apr 30, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Well it depends on the particular culture. I got married in Morocco and Moroccan weddings are all night affairs. We actually GOT married in a civil service at the Mosque/court house by the judge/priest ("Adul") then we went home and had a blow out party that lasted for about 18 hours. Lots of food, music and everyone in the city was there.
I don't know if other cultures have an actual ceremony (similar to "American style" weddings) or not. Ours was pretty perfunctory, just the legal stuff. "Do you agree to marry him? Did he give you $2500.00?" "Sigh here." They asked him the same stuff (minus the money question...in Islam the husband pays the wife a dowery...it is supposed to be $2500.00 per the Koran...it's her separate property) and he signed.
IIRC, his mother (who was with us) signed as a witness, but I don't really remember for sure. Of course in the US there are legal requirements for witnesses and such depending on which state you're in.
It sounds like they really like a party. I won't even comment on the $2500 thing since here in America there are plenty of ceremonial things people still do that are sexist as well.

Thanks for the info, Mimi!

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#84911 Apr 30, 2013
Leaving work in 45 minutes to babysit 2.5yo Rory and 1yo Hazel (I love those names). Rory apparently had a bad dream during her nap on Sunday and woke up refusing to let her dad near her, wouldn't go to the store with him, etc. For like an hour, just avoided him. Her mom couldn't get a 2.5yo to understand "dreams" v. "reality."

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#84912 Apr 30, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Your willingness to marry a Muslim doesn't make you a very good feminist.
This only underscores the fact that you are an ignorant racist fluck.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#84913 Apr 30, 2013
Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
What did you do with the $2500???
I still have it.:D

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#84914 Apr 30, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
She earned every penny of it!
heh

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#84915 Apr 30, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
It sounds like they really like a party.
Moroccans do for sure. I think they are a little more reserved and "traditional" (see the mutt's comments about feminism) in other cultures. <shrug> Of course he was born and raised in Casablanca. It's a BIG city (4+million people) and so is vert cosmopolitan. It's not like some little mountain tribe place in Afghanistan or somewhere. I can see a marriage there: ok we're married, go cook dinner. Pfffttt

Traditionally, in Morocco, a "new bride" (I feel way too old to be called a "bride") isn't expected to do anything domestic for the first month. Seriously all of his sisters and his mother were trying to do that for me. I just couldn't take advantage like that, but I could have and no one would have blinked. Although I wouldn't mind them coming here and doing all that stuff at my house NOW...
Toj wrote:
won't even comment on the $2500 thing since here in America there are plenty of ceremonial things people still do that are sexist as well.
Thanks for the info, Mimi!
So true. It's not really a "bride" price. It's a straight up gift, to keep even if there is a divorce. It's just supposed to be a no strings attached gift. He gave me some jewelry too. <shrug>

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#84916 Apr 30, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
This only underscores the fact that you are an ignorant racist fluck.
And THIS only underscores the fact you're a contradicting, hypocritical btch. Eh, typical liberal, no surprise.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#84917 Apr 30, 2013
Consider the source.Nicest compliment I have heard in a while Mimi.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#84918 Apr 30, 2013
PEllen wrote:
Consider the source.Nicest compliment I have heard in a while Mimi.
Oh he so doesn't get under my skin. Kinda irks me from time to time, but mostly yeah...consider the source. Besides, I am way way way too busy recently to be worrying about some tin foil hat wearing conspiracy theory believing, tea party, racist. <shrug>

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#84919 Apr 30, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
And THIS only underscores the fact
Eyes on your own paper!

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#84920 May 1, 2013
I cant imagine why she unfriended you...
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
And THIS only underscores the fact you're a contradicting, hypocritical btch. Eh, typical liberal, no surprise.

Location hidden

#84921 May 1, 2013
So I babysat last night. I told the parents when they got home: "I don't normally question your parenting choices because you are really good parents, but having me give a 14-month-old yogurt for supper? WHat were you thinking?" They laughed. They're used to the mess. I nearly gave the kid a bath. "NO, Don't touch your hair!" Sheesh. I had to basically wash the kid in the sink and put her PJs on her after supper.

The kicker: Every freaking time I babysit for them, I have trouble getting home. THey live near train tracks, and at least half the time, I'm literally sitting waiting for the train to end -- for 20 minutes MINIMUM.(I brought a map last night and they showed me a way to the freeway that doesn't have a RR crossing.)

So last night, I take that alternate route home, get on the freeway... and then the freeway is closed at downtown Mpls. Traffic diverted off to city city streets. Which were PACKED. Got back onto the freeway... and then MY exit for home was closed (with no warning ahead of time: If I'd known, I could have taken exits before that. I ended up having go way past home then backtrack.

Ugh.

Up to 5 inches of snow predicted today.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#84922 May 1, 2013
YAY! Snow is fun! Snowpeeps, Snowballs, Snowcones,
SNOW, SNOW, SNOW! Cant get enough of it!

Oh, the weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful, and since there's no place to go...
LET IT SNOW
LET IT SNOW
LET IT SNOW!!!!!

Location hidden

#84923 May 1, 2013
RACE wrote:
Oh, the weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful, and since there's no place to go...
LET IT SNOW
LET IT SNOW
LET IT SNOW!!!!!
Poophead.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#84924 May 1, 2013
RACE wrote:
LET IT SNOW
LET IT SNOW
LET IT SNOW!!!!!
God Bless ya....born and grew up in all that, even worked outside in it.....but i would perish today, i would just curl up into the fetal position....like being sentenced to the GULAG...lol....I was taught, you have options...at a young age.....

Location hidden

#84925 May 1, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>God Bless ya....born and grew up in all that, even worked outside in it.....but i would perish today, i would just curl up into the fetal position....like being sentenced to the GULAG...lol....I was taught, you have options...at a young age.....
Heh.

I actually got tears in my eyes when they upgraded the forecast to "winter storm" and "5 inches of snow." I just want it to be OVER.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#84926 May 1, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Heh.
I actually got tears in my eyes when they upgraded the forecast to "winter storm" and "5 inches of snow." I just want it to be OVER.
Too many people thought they got cheated outta winter, from last year....I hate what it does to all the vegetation, especially the fruit trees.....i recall the year Michigan lost a whole year's cherry crop....

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#84928 May 1, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>Heh.

I see that Denver is getting a storm, too. When I lived there we got snow in every month except July. It only lasted a day or two in the spring/summer months and then it would be back to sun. Also got thunderstorms every afternoon.

Move to Jersey! At least the seasons are pretty predictable here :)

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#84929 May 1, 2013
RACE wrote:
I cant imagine why she unfriended you...
<quoted text>
Speaking of FB friends...WHY haven't I gotten a friend request from you yet? Search for "Mimi Seattle." I'm pretty easy to find. If you can't find me under 'Mimi Seattle" PM me here and I will give you the email to search.::tapping my foot and waiting...NOT patiently::

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#84930 May 1, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
So I babysat last night. I told the parents when they got home: "I don't normally question your parenting choices because you are really good parents, but having me give a 14-month-old yogurt for supper? WHat were you thinking?" They laughed. They're used to the mess. I nearly gave the kid a bath. "NO, Don't touch your hair!" Sheesh. I had to basically wash the kid in the sink and put her PJs on her after supper.
The kicker: Every freaking time I babysit for them, I have trouble getting home. THey live near train tracks, and at least half the time, I'm literally sitting waiting for the train to end -- for 20 minutes MINIMUM.(I brought a map last night and they showed me a way to the freeway that doesn't have a RR crossing.)
So last night, I take that alternate route home, get on the freeway... and then the freeway is closed at downtown Mpls. Traffic diverted off to city city streets. Which were PACKED. Got back onto the freeway... and then MY exit for home was closed (with no warning ahead of time: If I'd known, I could have taken exits before that. I ended up having go way past home then backtrack.
Ugh.
Up to 5 inches of snow predicted today.
Make them bring the kid to YOUR house next time. <shrug>

On a similar note, I wish I'd had such a good, trustworthy friend when Chris was small. I think I went out without him TWICE before the age of 14 (YEARS). NOT a helicopter parent, just have a bunch of UN-trustworthy family and only a couple of friends I would have trusted with my kid, but THEY lived too far away...<shrug again>

You are not only trustworthy and all that but a very good friend for giving your friends a break from time to time. I admire that because being a child disliking person (in general), I never offer or allow myself to be in the position to be asked to take on someone else's kid even for a short time.

Sorry I'm rambling (and gushing?) but too late going to bed, too early waking up, still pissed about this assignment that is due a week early (thank god the kid sitting next to me will let me "copy" off of him) and not enough coffee yet.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Smart Alex 1,155,565
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 min Learn to Read 182,040
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 6 min JOEL 71,194
Dear Abby 12-25 53 min PEllen 1
amy 12-25 55 min PEllen 1
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr Homo Erectus 49,309
Incredible Shots Of Chicago From The Internatio... 2 hr reality is a crutch 1
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 10:09 pm PST