|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Judged:

ScarletandOlive wrote:
Warning: lots of profanity in the following link, but it's not a video.
I cannot believe that this is real, but it ha been verified by several sources and the writer has since resigned from her sorority.
http://gawker.com/5994974/the-most-deranged-s...
I had heard about this, but hadn't yet read the email.

She and her ilk are the reason that I detest the greek system. She would have been one of the people that talked over me at chapter.

But the c*nt punt term made me snicker. Wonder if cheluzal has heard of it...

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

RACE wrote:
<quoted text>Found it, stupid down arrow that had the logout in the drop down. They intentionally hide that dont they.

I DO NOT LIKE FB. TOTALLY TOO MUCH CRAP!
WTF showing me a bar full of movies for me to like? Stupidest thing ever, who the hell cares what movies I like? I could give two craps about which ones you like, srsly!
Ha ha! You don't have to enter anything there.:) after the initial set up, it is a great way to keep in touch with people or live vicariously.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed. I always do fresh...except...when it's not season for stuff I use all the time like asparagus, artichokes..<shrug>. I also use canned tomatoes for cooking when it's not tomato season. I will not however use canned/frozen zucchini, so it's either in season or it's not. Oh also, hominy...(native Cali girl, lots of Mexican food in my kitchen, hominy's a big ingredient in a lot of Mexican food) yeah not gonna even think about trying to make that. It comes in a can or it doesn't come at all.
ditto the fresh or not at all of a lot of things. in summer, some of that fresh comes frmo my garden - at least i hope it will this summer! <damn rabbits> i use fresh tomatoes for fresh-tomato-recipes or canned tomatos for sauces. i've frozen a lot of my over flow tomatoes, so i'll use those to make soup... that fresh tomato taste pulls through.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

RACE wrote:
Found it, stupid down arrow that had the logout in the drop down. They intentionally hide that dont they.
I DO NOT LIKE FB. TOTALLY TOO MUCH CRAP!
WTF showing me a bar full of movies for me to like? Stupidest thing ever, who the hell cares what movies I like? I could give two craps about which ones you like, srsly!
<quoted text>
When you log on to FB again go here http://socialfixer.com It is a little add on that lets you get rid of a bunch of that crap. Just give it some time. And ADD ME.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Judged:

I dated someone who was in a frat because it ended up being cheaper than living in the dorm.
Dahgts

France

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Aisle Sitter wrote:
<quoted text>
ditto the fresh or not at all of a lot of things. in summer, some of that fresh comes frmo my garden - at least i hope it will this summer! <damn rabbits> i use fresh tomatoes for fresh-tomato-recipes or canned tomatos for sauces. i've frozen a lot of my over flow tomatoes, so i'll use those to make soup... that fresh tomato taste pulls through.
Can't wait to get home and plant tomatoes and peppers. Rabbits don't seem to want mine.

In Belgium right now there is a big deal re white asparagus in season. About 30 US for a plate of about 8 thick stalks with chopped egg and a butter sauce. That is it. If you want a little salmon or meat with its 6 bucks more. I'll leave it to your imagination what stalks look like.

Race, Saw some gay in gay Paree today, arms entwined. Thought of you.
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Judged:

ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
There are some great things about the Greek system. As in any organization, there are always those who give the group a bad name.
During Greek Week, an fraternity and sorority are paired up to work together. There are fundraisers and events that promote campus life, not just a bunch of parties. One of the nice things about the random pairings is that the groups often get paired with someone they would not normally have a mixer with, so it is a chance for students to meet new people.
Greek life is not for everyone, but you shouldn't talk crap about stuff you don't know.
Then I clearly have only come in contact with the ones that give it a bad name. I didn't know about the greek pairings for Greek Week, but I've been around them in general. I had a friend pledge one and I was humiliated for her. It was nuts. Nothing dangerous that I know of, but just crazy. And not in a fun way.

And the other "Greeks" I experienced did NOTHING to boost my opinion of the system. They partied all the time and bashed people that weren't part of their group. They were not pleasant people nor did they do much to show they were contributing a whole lot to society.

Now, to be fair, I do know a great many people now that were in these groups that I don't think would fit into what I experienced, but I will tell you that what I've seen has left nothing but a bad taste in my mouth.

Like you said, it's not for everyone. Definitely NOT for me and hopefully not for my child.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Judged:

When I was in HS and college, Iowa State U. and U of Iowa had the largest greek systems in the nation. Either in real numbers or as a proportion of the size of the student body.

Maybe sororities and frats are more needed in boring states where there isn't much to do. ;)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

I think the greek system has pros and cons just like dorms or living in apartments have pros and cons.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Stina wrote:
<quoted text>Then I clearly have only come in contact with the ones that give it a bad name. I didn't know about the greek pairings for Greek Week, but I've been around them in general. I had a friend pledge one and I was humiliated for her. It was nuts. Nothing dangerous that I know of, but just crazy. And not in a fun way.

And the other "Greeks" I experienced did NOTHING to boost my opinion of the system. They partied all the time and bashed people that weren't part of their group. They were not pleasant people nor did they do much to show they were contributing a whole lot to society.

Now, to be fair, I do know a great many people now that were in these groups that I don't think would fit into what I experienced, but I will tell you that what I've seen has left nothing but a bad taste in my mouth.

Like you said, it's not for everyone. Definitely NOT for me and hopefully not for my child.
I get a little touchy about it because even though I know there are jerks in the system, joining a sorority was the best thing that happened to me in college. As an out of state student, it gave me a lot of sisters who genuinely cared about the well-being of each other. We had study groups (because there was a minimum GPA to stay active), community service events (the girls who are still in college just helped raise money for Embrace The Kids as part of the Dance Marathon and we still do highway cleanup on the mile of road that is in our name), and a network of alum who helped us once we graduated (I got my first real job through a sister).

There were problems while I was there, but running the organization is great experience for the corporate world. Two of my bridesmaids were sorority sisters. We were the girls who people couldn't picture being in a sorority.

The sisterhood made a big University (40,000 students) less overwhelming. When I was in the hospital, there was always at least one sister there with me, since my parents and brothers lived on the other side of the country.

But, I know that Greek life in the Northeast if very different than on the Southern campuses. I'm not sure if I would have joined at another school. Still, if you raise your daughter to be a strong woman who is not afraid to stand up for herself and others, then she will be successful anywhere.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

RACE wrote:
I was watching hells kitchen last night and at the end (beginning maybe i dunno) chef gave a PSA for fresh veggies. Said it takes 3 times the energy to produce and store frozen veggies instead of using fresh. So all you tree hugging carbon footprint zealots just think about that!
I always use fresh, but I do have some canned veggies for hurricane season that I use up at the start of each season to buy more.
..I agree, plus many nutritionalist's say that many canned fruits and vegetables maintain their vitamin levels well.....we alway's have some, just in case of a emergency, like a hurricane..........

“Licensed to Ill”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
When I was in HS and college, Iowa State U. and U of Iowa had the largest greek systems in the nation. Either in real numbers or as a proportion of the size of the student body.

Maybe sororities and frats are more needed in boring states where there isn't much to do. ;)
It's really for a lot of people about having a private club (the fraternity house), a place to hang out, have regular huge parties or just a place to chill and shoot pool. Yes you make good friends too, but its hard not to make good friends when you are hanging out and making good memories at a constant party house.

In addition to all that you could still go out and still have friends who weren't in the house AND still do all the other stuff that non Greek members do.

I'm glad I went Greek.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
Trader Joes...I can walk from my house. Never crowded, plenty of parking. <shrug>
Sound's great, as we are getting one, here in S.Fla....We lost our World Bazaar store, which used to carry the Torani coffee flavorings....i've bought the small one's at Walmart, but not nearly the selection of them....Sugar-free Almond is incredible, when you brew......had to finally get them from their site.....

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

In case y'all haven't seen this site -

http://crazythingsparentstext.com/

“What's it to ya?”

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Sound's great, as we are getting one, here in S.Fla....We lost our World Bazaar store, which used to carry the Torani coffee flavorings....i've bought the small one's at Walmart, but not nearly the selection of them....Sugar-free Almond is incredible, when you brew......had to finally get them from their site.....
We have a bunch of TJ's and Whole Foods here. I don't shop WF though...just way too expensive. There's also a bunch of small independent frou frou specialty markets, farmer's markets, organic markets, co-ops, blah blah blah too. I spent $20.00 on smoked salt last week. Yeah I really need to just stay out of those places. The Torani syrups are everywhere, but you know, Seattle, coffee central and all that. <shrug>

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

This is on FB. Guy had young people text their parents offering to sell 'em weed, then to act like it was a mistake, then told them to do a screen capture and post it.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/what-happens-i...

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Anyone watching the draft?

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

j_m_w wrote:
Anyone watching the draft?
TV's on ESPN, but I can't say I'm WATCHING. Periodically glancing.

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>TV's on ESPN, but I can't say I'm WATCHING. Periodically glancing.
Your boy EJ Manuel just went #16. I'm surprised that it took so long for a QB to get picked.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

TONKA: So I was watching ESPN Tuesday night with Nick, and this guy came on to do some NFL analysis. I loved it. Nick said he'd never seen the guy before and hadn't seen a "show" (it was short) like that before. The guy was talking about how college football's top schools (in football) don't produce NFL-starting QBs. He named several of the top schools in college football, and then said that not a single NFL starting QB came from one of those schools. Then named a bunch of the best QBs (starting with Aaron Rodgers, I also recognized Eli Manning), and gave all their schools -- none were schools you'd ever expect to be in the championship game -- and they all were tier 2 or 3 schools.

But why? He said that at the best football schools, they get bigger linemen, faster receivers/backs, etc. When you are surrounded by greatness, you will look/be better. But at the second or third tier schools, you don't get the receivers/backs who can run a 4.3, the linemen are a little smaller, a little shorter. The QB has to work harder, doesn't have as much time to work with as a guy with a bigger, better line and faster receivers. The QB has to work smarter, to deal with tighter situations.

very interesting.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

88 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min shinningelectr0n 1,083,663
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 9 min truth-facts 45,892
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 9 min Terry rigsby 49,006
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 12 min Jacques from Ottawa 175,114
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 34 min Roxie Darling 4,567
last post wins! (Apr '13) 1 hr gauntlet 305
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 1 hr nono 3,849
Amy 7-30 1 hr Julie 20
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••