“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#84580 Apr 23, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
And he's doing a great job. How's those unemployment numbers looking for you? How about the stock market? New business growth? Oh, and now the new tax on internet sales. At least he's fitting the part. Tax and spend, tax and spend, tax and spend. And the coming Obamacare that will put thousands of small businesses out of business.
Give it a rest, Dog.

The stock market is at an absolute all time high.
The unemployment numbers have steadily fallen since January 2008.
The tax on internet sales is state, not Federal, sales tax and the current controversy is how the states can collect it.

If he is spending, how do you explain the Sequester? And, given some of teh publicized effect of teh Sequester, perhap the spending is needed to run the country, fly the planes, open the national parks, process the tax returns, etc.

My crystal ball does not permit me to say whether Obamacare will put small businesses out,although on a pure anecdotal basis, I know small business owners who are cutting hours to stay under a threshold.

If you are going to rant ( and knowing you, you will) at least spend some time and find a solid factual base to rant from
You currently have some time on your hands. Do some homework then come back and grouch.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#84581 Apr 23, 2013
Mistake
The unemployment numbers have steadily fallen since January 2008.

should be 2009

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#84582 Apr 23, 2013
Running out of unemployment benefits does not mean you got a job, it just means that you are now no longer counted as unemployed.

Statistics can put a positive spin on anything.
PEllen wrote:
Mistake
The unemployment numbers have steadily fallen since January 2008.
should be 2009

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#84583 Apr 23, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Dog -- ONE of the most ... is very different than THE MOST.
Um, reading comprehension?
Right, one of the most is a far cry from the most.

you people are arguing semantics. Of course those two are WORLDS apart.

Idiots.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#84584 Apr 23, 2013
Thanks for totally missing my point, was that by chance or design?
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Just asking Wikipedia -- you don't have to go to Europe:
"The term was originally used to refer to feelings of being "carefree", "happy", or "bright and showy". The term's use as a reference to homosexuality may date as early as the late 19th century, but its use gradually increased in the 20th century.[1] In modern English, "gay" has come to be used as an adjective, and as a noun, referring to the people, especially to males, and the practices and cultures associated with homosexuality."
link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#84585 Apr 23, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Give it a rest, Dog.
The stock market is at an absolute all time high.
The unemployment numbers have steadily fallen since January 2008.
The tax on internet sales is state, not Federal, sales tax and the current controversy is how the states can collect it.
If he is spending, how do you explain the Sequester? And, given some of teh publicized effect of teh Sequester, perhap the spending is needed to run the country, fly the planes, open the national parks, process the tax returns, etc.
My crystal ball does not permit me to say whether Obamacare will put small businesses out,although on a pure anecdotal basis, I know small business owners who are cutting hours to stay under a threshold.
If you are going to rant ( and knowing you, you will) at least spend some time and find a solid factual base to rant from
You currently have some time on your hands. Do some homework then come back and grouch.
I do not have to do homework to realize the current dire situation of our economy. But as long as 8% unemployment is the new norm, we can fool ourselves into thinking the economy is just rocking along. Pull your heads out of your @zzes people.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#84586 Apr 23, 2013
RACE wrote:
Running out of unemployment benefits does not mean you got a job, it just means that you are now no longer counted as unemployed.
Statistics can put a positive spin on anything.
<quoted text>
Correct. Just like the people who have given up trying to find work and instead had to take early retirement aren't counted either. The TRUE unemployment numbers are at around 13%. But if these people actually accepted the truth, their heads might just explode. Much better to squeeze their eyes shut with their fingers in their ears and believe everything is just fine. Sure beats having to deal with reality.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#84587 Apr 23, 2013
RACE wrote:
Running out of unemployment benefits does not mean you got a job, it just means that you are now no longer counted as unemployed.
Statistics can put a positive spin on anything.
<quoted text>
True, but you have to start somewhere and teh Bureau of Labor Statistics is an unfathomable mess to me.And teh guy over there who used to explain things has been furloughed.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#84588 Apr 23, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct. Just like the people who have given up trying to find work and instead had to take early retirement aren't counted either. The TRUE unemployment numbers are at around 13%....
That is an interesting an plausible number. What's the source?

Assuming it is a reliable source, it would be difficult to compare that elevated percentage against earlier reports unless you knew they were reporting the same thing, Apples to apples and all that.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#84589 Apr 23, 2013
PEllen wrote:
Assuming it is a reliable source, it would be difficult to compare that elevated percentage against earlier reports unless you knew they were reporting the same thing, Apples to apples and all that.
Would YOU give it a rest and stop trying to justify the crappy unemployment numbers just because the truth is a bit "unsettling?"

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#84590 Apr 23, 2013
Start by comparing how many jobs were created vs the # of people who fell off the unemployment roster, then add the difference back into the new unemployment #. I am guessing you will see that unemployment is actually growing, not shrinking.
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
True, but you have to start somewhere and teh Bureau of Labor Statistics is an unfathomable mess to me.And teh guy over there who used to explain things has been furloughed.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#84591 Apr 23, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
No one besides Sam.
Actually, she didn't.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#84592 Apr 23, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Here
<quoted text>
Apparently reading comprehension doesn't work for you.
Wow.

You fail to comprehend what other people wrote.

amazing.

You really are brain dead. You're a wonderful member of your GOP.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Des Plaines, IL

#84593 Apr 23, 2013
Dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
Very little. Mostly college age kids, but rare
What's sweet is seeing the older couples walking along arm in arm
Off to gay paree tomorrow. They're up in arms re gay marriage now. Don't know why when its gay paree
say hi to my parents, and don't mention the flooding here... ;-j

this really is a fantabulous trip you're on!!

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#84594 Apr 23, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Wow.
You fail to comprehend what other people wrote.
amazing.
You really are brain dead. You're a wonderful member of your GOP.
Nice try, honey, but I just proved you wrong. You can't outsmart a member of the GOP, stop trying or you're just gonna embarrass yourself.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#84595 Apr 23, 2013
RACE wrote:
Start by comparing how many jobs were created vs the # of people who fell off the unemployment roster, then add the difference back into the new unemployment #. I am guessing you will see that unemployment is actually growing, not shrinking.
<quoted text>
There are way too many ways to look at teh data or massage the stats.

There is a particular absolute number that I work with that shows a drop in an employment derived number of about 14% from 2007 to 2012. That was true for Illinois and Missouri. Looking at the curve of that number for 2013 tends to show it has steadied and risen slightly. The figures are retrospective is that they reflect an employment derived situation viewed over a moving 3 year period .

Sorry for being obtuse but this goes to the heart of what I do IRL.

In English, things have been getting better in terms of number of people employed. I can't say about percentage of unemployed, people who have stopped looking etc.
The Incredible Flounder

Bradenton, FL

#84596 Apr 23, 2013
Unemployed versus underemployed...many folks here lost sixty-five thousand dollar jobs and out of desperation took eight dollar an hour jobs. Wouldn't that skew the numbers?

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#84597 Apr 23, 2013
The Incredible Flounder wrote:
Unemployed versus underemployed...many folks here lost sixty-five thousand dollar jobs and out of desperation took eight dollar an hour jobs. Wouldn't that skew the numbers?
Not these numbers. You are either employed or not. 1 or 0. black or white.The amount you are earning will show up in other stats
Dahgts

Brugge, Belgium

#84598 Apr 23, 2013
Aisle Sitter wrote:
<quoted text>
say hi to my parents, and don't mention the flooding here... ;-j
this really is a fantabulous trip you're on!!
It is, and a real learning experience. Like the our 1st floor is 1, its 0 here. Their basement is -1. Funny how one can translate a little from the language but German was the hardest. Most speak English
Wish the euro was lower tho.

Suitcase is getting heavier, course not because I shop !!

And then when Obama gets his hands on Greece like dog says then times will be good :))

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#84599 Apr 24, 2013
PEllen wrote:
Mistake
The unemployment numbers have steadily fallen since January 2008.
should be 2009
People like that will alway's just make up their own numbers, to fit their lies.....it's all they have, since they can't win elections.....Lying and false outrage will continue to keep them in 2nd place......

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min RealDave 1,153,925
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Brian_G 49,182
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 hr Jacques Ottawa 181,797
Obama pardons 2 Illinoisans, including former M... 3 hr barefoot2626 16
Music Artists A to Z (Feb '14) 3 hr Bulls 359
anybody know Glen Musielak? Glentech? (Mar '13) 3 hr Cracker Jack 40
Song Titles Only (group/artist in parenthesis m... (Mar '10) 5 hr _Zoey_ 7,866
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 11:17 am PST

NBC Sports11:17AM
T.Y. Hilton is questionable, but they're not ruling him out
Bleacher Report11:28 AM
Jay Cutler Rumors: Latest Details, Speculation on Bears QB's Future
Bleacher Report11:39 AM
Complete Week 16 Preview for Indianapolis
NBC Sports12:33 PM
1 thing even Rahm can't fix: Da Bears - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 1:01 PM
Cowboys' Murray listed as questionable for Colts - NBC Sports