Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#84522 Apr 22, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Suppose we just enforce the immigration laws we already have....
I'm fine with that.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#84523 Apr 22, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Not saying he's justified to be angry at CVS, but his anger is understandable.
You live in Texas. Perhaps someone you know was killed or injured. But every time you turn on the TV, you see nothing but Boston coverage. Help Boston funds and charities. Boston Stands as One. Pray for Boston. Boston Strong. OneFundBoston.
Compare the 2.
Boston: 3 dead, 219 injured
Texas: 35 dead, 200 injured
Not sure what buildings were damaged in Boston bombing, but I don't think anyone lost their home or that a substantial number of people are now out of work.
In Texas?
75 homes destroyed or have substantial damage
Nursing home, gone.
Apartment complex, gone.
Middle school, gone.
The plant is destroyed, effectively putting a lot of people out of work.
If I had to guess, the Texas disaster affects the residents of that town. Who is the Boston disaster affecting? I have not checked the race roster, but people come from all over the world to run the race.
But every time this guy turns on the tv. Boston stands as one. Help raise money for Boston. Lets ignore the town that lost homes, school, and income.
Not saying there are not people raising money for the Texas folks, but I can say that I have not seen anything about any Texas charities on tv. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong channels.
Don't think that would piss you off?
I think it most likely would. He's taking his anger and bitterness and focusing it on CVS. Why not go after every company that did this? He isn't. He's just misguided.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#84524 Apr 22, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Tonks, buddy, this is the sensationalism of the media. A terrorism attack trumps everything,
I understand that. But do you think that makes it easier for someone in Texas to swallow? Are the dead and injured in Boston more dead and injured than those in Texas?

A week from now, Boston will be chugging along. This event is not going to cripple Boston in any way. That Texas town can't say the same thing.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#84525 Apr 22, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it most likely would. He's taking his anger and bitterness and focusing it on CVS. Why not go after every company that did this? He isn't. He's just misguided.
That's what I said. He has a right to be angry with the situation in general, but not at CVS specifically.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Since: Feb 13

Chicago, IL

#84526 Apr 22, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>While everyone csn donate(or not) to whatever they want, fact is, this Texas disaster has gotten very little media coverage compared to Boston. I'd feel slighted too if there was a disastrr in my home and seemingly no one cared cause of a disaster in a bigger city.
Blame the lamestream media!! Disaster in Democratic Massachusetts that only kills 3 gets all the sympathy and attention, and the disaster that killed a multiple of that in Republican Texas gets comparatively little attention!! The liberal media doesn't care about Texas because Texas won't give up its guns!! Damn liberals!!

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Chicago, IL

#84527 Apr 22, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Not saying he's justified to be angry at CVS, but his anger is understandable.
You live in Texas. Perhaps someone you know was killed or injured. But every time you turn on the TV, you see nothing but Boston coverage. Help Boston funds and charities. Boston Stands as One. Pray for Boston. Boston Strong. OneFundBoston.
Compare the 2.
Boston: 3 dead, 219 injured
Texas: 35 dead, 200 injured
Not sure what buildings were damaged in Boston bombing, but I don't think anyone lost their home or that a substantial number of people are now out of work.
In Texas?
75 homes destroyed or have substantial damage
Nursing home, gone.
Apartment complex, gone.
Middle school, gone.
The plant is destroyed, effectively putting a lot of people out of work.
If I had to guess, the Texas disaster affects the residents of that town. Who is the Boston disaster affecting? I have not checked the race roster, but people come from all over the world to run the race.
But every time this guy turns on the tv. Boston stands as one. Help raise money for Boston. Lets ignore the town that lost homes, school, and income.
Not saying there are not people raising money for the Texas folks, but I can say that I have not seen anything about any Texas charities on tv. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong channels.
Don't think that would piss you off?
No. I think it is completely silly to get wrapped up in who gets how much sympathy for what. One is a fertilizer plant in the middle of nowhere that blew up because people weren't doing their jobs. The other is a terrorist act during one of the most revered sporting events in the world in one of the most revered cities in this country. The discrepancy in attention is understandable. The LW's discontent, while understandable, is silly and petty. What is ridiculous is his targeting any particular business and his statement that left me with the immpression that he would rather no one got attention than one get more attention than the other. The whole keeping score thing get old. It's very 6-yr.-oldish.
Dahgts

Brugge, Belgium

#84528 Apr 23, 2013
If its Tuesday it must be Belgium:

Just to change the subject, no or almost no fat people in Europe and bakeries are all over with croissants and pastries. Lots of bike riding and walking

Lazy Americans :/

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#84529 Apr 23, 2013
Dahgts wrote:
Just to change the subject, no or almost no fat people in Europe and bakeries are all over with croissants and pastries. Lots of bike riding and walking
You rock lady

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#84530 Apr 23, 2013
A foot race is not a "Revered sporting event" and Boston is not a "Revered city"

Football is a "Revered sporting event" and the "Medowlands" is a Revered place, like Woodstock.

Neda, stay with me!

#84531 Apr 23, 2013
Have you seen any straight guys holding hands or arm in arm?
Dahgts wrote:
Dahgts

Brugge, Belgium

#84532 Apr 23, 2013
RACE wrote:
Have you seen any straight guys holding hands or arm in arm?
<quoted text>
Huh? Yeah, arm in arm i think. At least they looked straight but since I'm not homophobic I don't really notice. What I do pay attention to is food.$30 for a plate of in season white asparagus
With a sauce!!
Had to change planes in Poland and got felt up by a commie security broad. They still seem to have that attitude, scary.

Neda, stay with me!

#84533 Apr 23, 2013
It was a topic of conversation here about what constitutes PDA
Dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
Huh? Yeah, arm in arm i think. At least they looked straight but since I'm not homophobic I don't really notice. What I do pay attention to is food.$30 for a plate of in season white asparagus
With a sauce!!
Had to change planes in Poland and got felt up by a commie security broad. They still seem to have that attitude, scary.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#84534 Apr 23, 2013
Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
Blame the lamestream media!! Disaster in Democratic Massachusetts that only kills 3 gets all the sympathy and attention, and the disaster that killed a multiple of that in Republican Texas gets comparatively little attention!! The liberal media doesn't care about Texas because Texas won't give up its guns!! Damn liberals!!
I'm sure you're being facetious but there is an element of truth to this.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#84535 Apr 23, 2013
Sam I Am GEAM wrote:

one of the most revered sporting events in the world in one of the most revered cities in this country.
One of the most revered sporting events in the WORLD in one of the most revered CITIES in this country!!?? A marathon?? Boston!? Are you serious??

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#84536 Apr 23, 2013
Can someone please grab the girls?

Also, posting the columns would be nice.
;)

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#84537 Apr 23, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
Can someone please grab the girls?
Also, posting the columns would be nice.
;)
Here

Abby

http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/TN43Q1NUB6...

Amy

http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/T3SHRGKEKQ...

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#84538 Apr 23, 2013

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#84539 Apr 23, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>I understand that. But do you think that makes it easier for someone in Texas to swallow? Are the dead and injured in Boston more dead and injured than those in Texas?
A week from now, Boston will be chugging along. This event is not going to cripple Boston in any way. That Texas town can't say the same thing.
True. I think the difference in coverage is the way their governments reach out.

Also, having a week looking for the suspects made it almost a movie all week (but sadly real).

while Texans are probably hurting, why wasn't their government doing whatever they can (Texas state, city and local) to put it in the media as the Governor, Mayor and the FBI was doing in Boston.

The fact they are comparing their coverage to Boston makes no sense. They should be using those efforts to highlight their own troubles. Someone in Boston is probably better at PR than the people in Texas are is what I think.

I'm with the dog -- right or wrong a terrorist act will garner more attention.

Texans should quit complaining about Boston and get themselves out there via FB, press releases, stories about the residents, etc.

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#84540 Apr 23, 2013

“FD&S is no way to be.”

United States

#84541 Apr 23, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
One of the most revered sporting events in the WORLD in one of the most revered CITIES in this country!!?? A marathon?? Boston!? Are you serious??
You obviously don't know much about either.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 5 min loose cannon 179,628
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min forks_make_us_fat 1,128,894
Abby 10-30 40 min Pippa 3
ISIS Plans to Blow Up an Entire American City a... 44 min deutscher Nationa... 136
were keeping your money sheep 46 min stupid shootcagian 4
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 52 min Duke Snider 50,749
Amy 10-30 1 hr edogxxx 2
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]