“FD&S is no way to be.”

Since: Feb 13

United States

#84499 Apr 22, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Texas Governor Rick Perry has had radio ads running in Chicago touting that Texas is business friendly, meanless regulation.
How's that small-government business climate treating you, West, Texas?
Apparently the Texas plant had 1,350 times the amount of the chemical that would trigger oversight. So, this might be one of those times when just a tad more government would not have been a horrible thing.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#84500 Apr 22, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no idea if it was a lack of regulation or inspections that contributed to the explosion. It's pure speculation.
Actually, it was reported that there were serious safety violations that had not been cleared up.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#84501 Apr 22, 2013
Its all bush's fault! Obamma just inherited the problem.
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no idea if it was a lack of regulation or inspections that contributed to the explosion. It's pure speculation.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#84502 Apr 22, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, it was reported that there were serious safety violations that had not been cleared up.
Sounds like the federal government had oversight:

http://news.yahoo.com/regulators-fined-texas-...

Whose the President, again?

:P

Location hidden

#84503 Apr 22, 2013
who's

Location hidden

#84504 Apr 22, 2013
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly, and anything good that has happened is solely attributable to Obama.

Location hidden

#84505 Apr 22, 2013
I didn't say anything about who was to blame, administration-wise. But I do blame the owners/management of the plant.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#84506 Apr 22, 2013
I got in my car this morning and there was a spider hanging from a single web strand from my rear view mirror. He was real tiny and was either asleep of dead. I grabbed him with a napkin snd squished him for good measure.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#84507 Apr 22, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Sigh Someone at Planetfeedback.com is complaining in a letter to CVS that CVS doesn't care about the victims of the explosion in Texas, only the Boston victims. CVS was founded in the Boston area, so CVS has donated $ to the Boston fund. This person (in Texas) is upset by this because it's a dis to Texas.
While everyone csn donate(or not) to whatever they want, fact is, this Texas disaster has gotten very little media coverage compared to Boston. I'd feel slighted too if there was a disastrr in my home and seemingly no one cared cause of a disaster in a bigger city.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#84508 Apr 22, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I do actually. Fox News ran a headline that says the fertilizer plant didn't follow the rules. Not that I equate Fox News with an OSHA inspection, but for this sort of thing their bias should run in the other direction. Thus I find them believable. In addition, most plant explosions, unless caused by an outside force like lightening are usually traceable to some failure to follow maintenance or safety rules.

The simplest explanation, and all that.

Location hidden

#84509 Apr 22, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I didn't say anything about who was to blame, administration-wise. But I do blame the owners/management of the plant.
I think there will be plenty of time to judge once they find out what caused it. It's all speculation right now.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#84510 Apr 22, 2013
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you referring to Bush's stint as Texas governor?

Location hidden

#84511 Apr 22, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text> I do actually. Fox News ran a headline that says the fertilizer plant didn't follow the rules. Not that I equate Fox News with an OSHA inspection, but for this sort of thing their bias should run in the other direction. Thus I find them believable. In addition, most plant explosions, unless caused by an outside force like lightening are usually traceable to some failure to follow maintenance or safety rules.
The simplest explanation, and all that.
Sounds like the feds primarily had responsible to oversee such an operation. So I don't know why you are blaming the state of Texas. Do we really need state and federal inspectors? Not really, if the feds do their job....

Location hidden

#84512 Apr 22, 2013
I said hi to you on that thread on that other forum, btw, P.

Location hidden

#84513 Apr 22, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
I got in my car this morning and there was a spider hanging from a single web strand from my rear view mirror. He was real tiny and was either asleep of dead. I grabbed him with a napkin snd squished him for good measure.
You probably just pis$ed off the momma spider and she'll be waiting for you tomorrow.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#84514 Apr 22, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
There are so many variety, species, and sizes of spiders, chances are you are never more than six feet away from a spider at any given time in your life! Sleep easy!

Location hidden

#84515 Apr 22, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>While everyone csn donate(or not) to whatever they want, fact is, this Texas disaster has gotten very little media coverage compared to Boston. I'd feel slighted too if there was a disastrr in my home and seemingly no one cared cause of a disaster in a bigger city.
The pesron who complained is from Texas. He's taking it way too pesronally.

Also, you can't compare the two events. It's natural that a terrorist attack would garner more attention than a plant explosion.

Location hidden

#84516 Apr 22, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
There are so many variety, species, and sizes of spiders, chances are you are never more than six feet away from a spider at any given time in your life! Sleep easy!
And nevermind all the "spiders" (mites and such) that live in your eye lashes!

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#84517 Apr 22, 2013
Fertilizer plant explosion - MORE GOVERNMENT REGULATION!

Oil drilling explosion - END OIL DRILLING!

Nutball shoots up a school - BAN ALL FIREARMS!

Legalized immigrants blow up a few people - OPEN THE BORDERS AND AMNESTY FOR ALL!
Because we need 12 million more workers while America is facing 13% unemployment.

USA! USA!

Location hidden

#84518 Apr 22, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
Fertilizer plant explosion - MORE GOVERNMENT REGULATION!
Oil drilling explosion - END OIL DRILLING!
No, not more regulation. Just enforce the regs we already have.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 8 min Edmond Pulpo 181,698
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min red and right 1,152,984
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 23 min D_e_ath__to__tyrants 70,986
Deat Abby 12-16 29 min Mister Tonka 51
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr TRD 68,875
sexting on whatsapp 2 hr cute_bwoy 1
14-Year-Old Boy Shot In Head On Far South Side 3 hr Taint Shield 4
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]