|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Some do, many don't.
Incorrect. MOST do. It's in the liturgy. Infant baptism.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Former Baptist here. Can confirm they do it a as older folks. Kids can get baptized if they wish, but usually have to get re-baptized as an adult if they want to become a church member.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

My SIL and her fiancé are on their way in. I feel a drink or five is in my future tonight. And tomorrow night.

She continued her FB rants today about girls running around campus in leggings (against dress code) and J called her out on it ("It's not a military school or prison.")

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Also, grats on the baptism, Jam. I think if ocean baptisms had been around when I was a kid, I'd have actually done it, heh.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

They got him. Alive. Its over.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
My SIL and her fiancé are on their way in. I feel a drink or five is in my future tonight. And tomorrow night.
She continued her FB rants today about girls running around campus in leggings (against dress code) and J called her out on it ("It's not a military school or prison.")
She is REALLY concerned with what everyone else is doing, saying, and wearing. Is this new? I don't get why she cares so much about everybody else.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Is that what your MIl is like? Is she just taking your MIL's ways and scaling them down to her age?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
Also, grats on the baptism, Jam. I think if ocean baptisms had been around when I was a kid, I'd have actually done it, heh.
I think it sounds like the coolest way to get baptized as an adult.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Incorrect. MOST do.
Right. Forgot you were the expert on religious practices, given your deep theological understandings.

As a lifelong Protestant, I can attest I have NEVER known a church that practices infant baptism, and I've never witnessed one that has. And I'm neither Baptist nor Amish.

But I suppose Wiki is far more credible than my own actual experiences.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>Right. Forgot you were the expert on religious practices, given your deep theological understandings.

As a lifelong Protestant, I can attest I have NEVER known a church that practices infant baptism, and I've never witnessed one that has. And I'm neither Baptist nor Amish.

My nieces were baptized as infants in two different Lutheran churches and my Grandmother's Presbyterian church just had an infant baptism last week (I got to hear all about it several times).

Just offering my anecdotal evidence :)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Right. Forgot you were the expert on religious practices, given your deep theological understandings.
Once again: I based my poston facts. Things i learned in college courses and other subsequent readings. I went to wiki just to get a good explanation of Anabaptism, since most people haven't heard of it. I knew what it was. I took an entire college course on it.

"Protestant" is not a monolithic group. There are many denominations. Lutherans and Methodists baptize infants. Missouri Synod Lutherans may not, but that is a very conservative branch of Lutheranism (women wear dresses, no alcohol, no card games, etc.). Same with the very conservative branch of Methodist church (no dancing allowed for them, either). But the majority of protestant, non-Baptist, non-fundamentalist religions BAPTIZE INFANTS. That's fact.

Since you have nother to offer other than your own incredibly limited experience and education, that's that.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Judged:

Also, you've exhibited nothing but ignorance when it comes to religious practices, as was on display int he recent Catholic/communion issue recently.

Knowledge fail on your part.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Is that what your MIl is like? Is she just taking your MIL's ways and scaling them down to her age?
Not...exactly? But it's not like she is remotely a good example for building and maintaining friendships. Not entirely sure what's going on.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Race, you'll like this: I thought this was hilarious, posted by my brother on FB:

[brother's name]... knows the 2 best days of a boat owners life are the day he buys it and the day they capture a terrorist in it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not...exactly? But it's not like she is remotely a good example for building and maintaining friendships. Not entirely sure what's going on.
I jsut think it's more than venting. I think something serious is bubbling and brewing in there.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

ScarletandOlive wrote:
Lutheran churches and my Grandmother's Presbyterian church
Lutherans and Presbyterians and even Methodists are nothing but off-shoots of Catholicism. But as a snake-handling, cool-aid drinking fundamentalist, what do I know?

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Lutherans and Presbyterians and even Methodists are nothing but off-shoots of Catholicism. But as a snake-handling, cool-aid drinking fundamentalist, what do I know?
So who exactly are you saying does not do child baptisms? Catholics? If that's hat you're saying then you are completely wrong. Infant baptisms are the norm for Catholics. I have no idea about the off-shoots.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>Lutherans and Presbyterians and even Methodists are nothing but off-shoots of Catholicism. But as a snake-handling, cool-aid drinking fundamentalist, what do I know?
Do you understand what "Protestant" means? It means churches that deny (protest) the Pope's authority. It means basically any Christian church that is not Catholic. Lutherans were THE original Protestants.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>I jsut think it's more than venting. I think something serious is bubbling and brewing in there.
Perhaps. I know J is going to talk to her.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Race, you'll like this: I thought this was hilarious, posted by my brother on FB:

[brother's name]... knows the 2 best days of a boat owners life are the day he buys it and the day they capture a terrorist in it.
I totally just stole this for my FB status. Hilarious!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

31 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 min ritedownthemiddle 45,769
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min shinningelectr0n 1,079,007
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 21 min voice of peace 67,895
Keep a word drop 6 words! 42 min Anonymous42 6
Detroit man shoots black women in his front yar... 46 min Skyler 1
One kilometre high and counting (Jul '07) 1 hr NITiN 7
Saving Catholic Schools 1 hr larry 1
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr Guy 174,508
•••

Beach Hazards Statement for Cook County was issued at July 23 at 9:06PM CDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs