Topix Chitown Regulars

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#84371 Apr 19, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>I jsut think it's more than venting. I think something serious is bubbling and brewing in there.
Perhaps. I know J is going to talk to her.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#84372 Apr 19, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Race, you'll like this: I thought this was hilarious, posted by my brother on FB:

[brother's name]... knows the 2 best days of a boat owners life are the day he buys it and the day they capture a terrorist in it.
I totally just stole this for my FB status. Hilarious!

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#84373 Apr 20, 2013
Ryan Lochte is SO HOT, but apparently not the sharpest crayon in the box.

http://m.tmz.com/#Article/2013/04/18/olympics...

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#84374 Apr 20, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Lutherans and Presbyterians and even Methodists are nothing but off-shoots of Catholicism. But as a snake-handling, cool-aid drinking fundamentalist, what do I know?
If you got the reference to kool aid you would be appalled... and dead

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#84376 Apr 20, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>So who exactly are you saying does not do child baptisms? Catholics? If that's hat you're saying then you are completely wrong. Infant baptisms are the norm for Catholics. I have no idea about the off-shoots.
Try to pay attention. Catholics, and many of it's protestant off-shoots (but not all) DO practice infant baptism. The rest of the protestant religions do not.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#84377 Apr 20, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you understand what "Protestant" means? It means churches that deny (protest) the Pope's authority. It means basically any Christian church that is not Catholic. Lutherans were THE original Protestants.
I'm well aware of this, thank you.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#84378 Apr 20, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>If you got the reference to kool aid you would be appalled... and dead
I know all about Jonestown, honey.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#84379 Apr 20, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
Ryan Lochte is SO HOT, but apparently not the sharpest crayon in the box.

http://m.tmz.com/#Article/2013/04/18/olympics...
His stupidity makes him instantly not hot, IMO.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#84380 Apr 20, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Lutherans and Presbyterians and even Methodists are nothing but off-shoots of Catholicism. But as a snake-handling, cool-aid drinking fundamentalist, what do I know?
Ever hear of a guy named Martin Luther (hint: Lutheranism) he was protesting (read: protestant) the Catholic church. Dolt.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#84381 Apr 20, 2013
Now, that really did make me laugh out loud! Thanks!
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Race, you'll like this: I thought this was hilarious, posted by my brother on FB:
[brother's name]... knows the 2 best days of a boat owners life are the day he buys it and the day they capture a terrorist in it.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#84382 Apr 20, 2013

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#84383 Apr 20, 2013

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#84384 Apr 20, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
Ever hear of a guy named Martin Luther (hint: Lutheranism) he was protesting (read: protestant) the Catholic church. Dolt.
Are you people godam braindead? How many times do I have to repeat myself, idiots?

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#84385 Apr 20, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you people godam braindead? How many times do I have to repeat myself, idiots?
See it's this level of disrespectful interaction that makes people un-friend you. Learn from it.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#84386 Apr 20, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
See it's this level of disrespectful interaction that makes people un-friend you. Learn from it.
Who called who a dolt? For telling me something I ALREADY KNEW!

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#84387 Apr 20, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I know all about Jonestown, honey.
Ah, I see that you are feeling your regular self.

Dog- Mimi has a point. It's not so much that you have differing opinions.It is the manner and style in which you share them.

Friendly pointer: when you disagree, stick to the substance, avoid calling the other person names or questioning their motivation or intelligence.

When someone baits you, for instance like Sam does, if there is something in their message you can respond to, do so and don't take the name calling bait. I have seen you do this from time to time so I know you are capable of it. It is probably not your first instinctual response, but if your goal is less heated interactions, give it a try.

It's not easy. You need to take a mental pause and listen for the substance rather than the style.

Example. You could have replied to me, "I know all about Jonestown". Period. Conveys the same thing. It tells me not to patronize you. It avoids name calling.

/s/Pelly, who is not your honey

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#84388 Apr 20, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Who called who a dolt? For telling me something I ALREADY KNEW!
Coaching: Consider letting the name calling" dolt" slide. Consider not using all caps which is considered yelling.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#84389 Apr 20, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Who called who a dolt? For telling me something I ALREADY KNEW!
You know what? You're right. I shouldn't stoop to that level.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

United States

#84390 Apr 20, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, I see that you are feeling your regular self.
Dog- Mimi has a point. It's not so much that you have differing opinions.It is the manner and style in which you share them.
Friendly pointer: when you disagree, stick to the substance, avoid calling the other person names or questioning their motivation or intelligence.
When someone baits you, for instance like Sam does, if there is something in their message you can respond to, do so and don't take the name calling bait. I have seen you do this from time to time so I know you are capable of it. It is probably not your first instinctual response, but if your goal is less heated interactions, give it a try.
It's not easy. You need to take a mental pause and listen for the substance rather than the style.
Example. You could have replied to me, "I know all about Jonestown". Period. Conveys the same thing. It tells me not to patronize you. It avoids name calling.
/s/Pelly, who is not your honey
Thanks for the tips, HONEY.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

United States

#84391 Apr 20, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
You're right.
Always.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 17 min Nostrilis Waxmoron 1,346,855
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 19 min Earthling-1 57,276
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Dr Guru 207,548
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 6 hr They cannot kill ... 7,299
last post wins! (Apr '13) 6 hr They cannot kill ... 609
last post wins! (Dec '10) 6 hr They cannot kill ... 1,582
Word (Dec '08) 14 hr Red_Forman 5,642
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages