Topix Chitown Regulars

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#84347 Apr 19, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, it's mostly the Baptist and more "Fundamentalist" type protestant religions that do older baptisms. LUtherans, methodists, Episocpalians, etc., all do it as infants.
The Protestatnt churches we looked at baptise infants. As a teen the chikd is confirmed menaing she makes a profession of faith which is a personal choice.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Since: Feb 13

United States

#84348 Apr 19, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think.
You got that right.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#84349 Apr 19, 2013
Anabaptists:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anabaptist

"The name Anabaptist is derived from the Greek term anabaptista, or "one who baptizes over again." This name was given them by their enemies in reference to the practice of "re-baptizing" converts who "already had been baptized" (or sprinkled) as infants.[5] Anabaptists required that baptismal candidates be able to make their own confessions of faith and so rejected baptism of infants."

However, I got my info in previous posts from college religion courses, especially the class I took on the Amish (fascinating stuff).

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#84350 Apr 19, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Lutheranism, Methodism, Presbyterianism, and Episocopal(ism?) of course are borne from Catholicism, so those mainstream protestant religions also baptise infants.
Some do, many don't.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#84351 Apr 19, 2013
So, Preheating oven to 500 for the first 15 minutes of cooking for my prime rib! After that its down to 320 (yeah they say 325) and a nice boat ride. Then its time to make the mashed potatoes (I love mashed potatoes) and a meal fit for a king (which I am)

Whoot!

Location hidden

#84353 Apr 19, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Some do, many don't.
Incorrect. MOST do. It's in the liturgy. Infant baptism.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#84354 Apr 19, 2013
Former Baptist here. Can confirm they do it a as older folks. Kids can get baptized if they wish, but usually have to get re-baptized as an adult if they want to become a church member.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#84355 Apr 19, 2013
My SIL and her fiancé are on their way in. I feel a drink or five is in my future tonight. And tomorrow night.

She continued her FB rants today about girls running around campus in leggings (against dress code) and J called her out on it ("It's not a military school or prison.")

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#84356 Apr 19, 2013
Also, grats on the baptism, Jam. I think if ocean baptisms had been around when I was a kid, I'd have actually done it, heh.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#84357 Apr 19, 2013
They got him. Alive. Its over.

Location hidden

#84358 Apr 19, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
My SIL and her fiancé are on their way in. I feel a drink or five is in my future tonight. And tomorrow night.
She continued her FB rants today about girls running around campus in leggings (against dress code) and J called her out on it ("It's not a military school or prison.")
She is REALLY concerned with what everyone else is doing, saying, and wearing. Is this new? I don't get why she cares so much about everybody else.

Location hidden

#84359 Apr 19, 2013
Is that what your MIl is like? Is she just taking your MIL's ways and scaling them down to her age?

Location hidden

#84360 Apr 19, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
Also, grats on the baptism, Jam. I think if ocean baptisms had been around when I was a kid, I'd have actually done it, heh.
I think it sounds like the coolest way to get baptized as an adult.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#84361 Apr 19, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Incorrect. MOST do.
Right. Forgot you were the expert on religious practices, given your deep theological understandings.

As a lifelong Protestant, I can attest I have NEVER known a church that practices infant baptism, and I've never witnessed one that has. And I'm neither Baptist nor Amish.

But I suppose Wiki is far more credible than my own actual experiences.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#84362 Apr 19, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>Right. Forgot you were the expert on religious practices, given your deep theological understandings.

As a lifelong Protestant, I can attest I have NEVER known a church that practices infant baptism, and I've never witnessed one that has. And I'm neither Baptist nor Amish.

My nieces were baptized as infants in two different Lutheran churches and my Grandmother's Presbyterian church just had an infant baptism last week (I got to hear all about it several times).

Just offering my anecdotal evidence :)

Location hidden

#84363 Apr 19, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Right. Forgot you were the expert on religious practices, given your deep theological understandings.
Once again: I based my poston facts. Things i learned in college courses and other subsequent readings. I went to wiki just to get a good explanation of Anabaptism, since most people haven't heard of it. I knew what it was. I took an entire college course on it.

"Protestant" is not a monolithic group. There are many denominations. Lutherans and Methodists baptize infants. Missouri Synod Lutherans may not, but that is a very conservative branch of Lutheranism (women wear dresses, no alcohol, no card games, etc.). Same with the very conservative branch of Methodist church (no dancing allowed for them, either). But the majority of protestant, non-Baptist, non-fundamentalist religions BAPTIZE INFANTS. That's fact.

Since you have nother to offer other than your own incredibly limited experience and education, that's that.

Location hidden

#84364 Apr 19, 2013
Also, you've exhibited nothing but ignorance when it comes to religious practices, as was on display int he recent Catholic/communion issue recently.

Knowledge fail on your part.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#84365 Apr 19, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Is that what your MIl is like? Is she just taking your MIL's ways and scaling them down to her age?
Not...exactly? But it's not like she is remotely a good example for building and maintaining friendships. Not entirely sure what's going on.

Location hidden

#84366 Apr 19, 2013
Race, you'll like this: I thought this was hilarious, posted by my brother on FB:

[brother's name]... knows the 2 best days of a boat owners life are the day he buys it and the day they capture a terrorist in it.

Location hidden

#84367 Apr 19, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not...exactly? But it's not like she is remotely a good example for building and maintaining friendships. Not entirely sure what's going on.
I jsut think it's more than venting. I think something serious is bubbling and brewing in there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Kevin 1,263,812
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 14 min jh4freedom 194,526
Ask Amy July 31 1 hr Julie 6
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr litesong 54,356
abby7-31-15 4 hr mrs gladys kravitz 5
News Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 6 hr Mark 52,069
Amy 7-30-15 8 hr Mister Tonka 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages