Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#84337 Apr 19, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
Haha, squishy... Happy Splashing, that's cute.
Stina, my only concern is the temp of the water. I'm really looking forward to the experience on the beach vs. in the church building though.
I bet it's going to be really neat out there!

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#84338 Apr 19, 2013
Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I love my rescue mutts!!!
It'll be fun - just remember to put your shoes away!!!
MIL has been warning the girls all week about being deligent about putting away toys/stuffed animals. I'm sure one of them will learn the hard way to keep stuff away from the puppy, however. Hopefully it will be something that is not precious.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#84339 Apr 19, 2013
RACE wrote:
Congrats on choosing a faith!
<quoted text>
Jmw, don't you already have a faith? And you've already been baptized? SO is this similar to a renewal of wedding vows? ;)
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#84340 Apr 19, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
MIL has been warning the girls all week about being deligent about putting away toys/stuffed animals. I'm sure one of them will learn the hard way to keep stuff away from the puppy, however. Hopefully it will be something that is not precious.
My first hint with my puppy was the fact that, when I went to go see her at the rescue, she started chewing the shoe I was wearing!!!

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#84341 Apr 19, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Jmw, don't you already have a faith? And you've already been baptized? SO is this similar to a renewal of wedding vows? ;)
I've been a Christian in terms of my beliefs since I was 16 but I've never been baptized. My church does beach baptisms about once a quarter and I always thought it would be cool do to that, so when this one was announced my friend L and I both decided to do it. I think most Protestant denominations believe in baptism as a teen or an adult, when it's the person's choice, as opposed to Catholics who baptize babies.

Location hidden

#84342 Apr 19, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been a Christian in terms of my beliefs since I was 16 but I've never been baptized. My church does beach baptisms about once a quarter and I always thought it would be cool do to that, so when this one was announced my friend L and I both decided to do it. I think most Protestant denominations believe in baptism as a teen or an adult, when it's the person's choice, as opposed to Catholics who baptize babies.
Actually, it's mostly the Baptist and more "Fundamentalist" type protestant religions that do older baptisms. LUtherans, methodists, Episocpalians, etc., all do it as infants.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#84343 Apr 19, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, it's mostly the Baptist and more "Fundamentalist" type protestant religions that do older baptisms. LUtherans, methodists, Episocpalians, etc., all do it as infants.
I don't think that's accurate.
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#84344 Apr 19, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, definitely more the "Preotestant-Related ". I grew up non-denominational and we do it as teens/adults. I can't remember for sure, but I may have been baptized Lutheran as a baby, but my parents switched when I was a toddler.

Location hidden

#84345 Apr 19, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think that's accurate.
It is. Go ahead and prove me wrong.

Location hidden

#84346 Apr 19, 2013
The Amish are among those who don't baptise infants. Baptists and the Amish are from the Anabaptist movement that came out of Germany several hundred years ago. Catholics baptize infants, and Lutheranism, Methodism, Presbyterianism, and Episocopal(ism?) of course are borne from Catholicism, so those mainstream protestant religions also baptise infants.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#84347 Apr 19, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
The Protestatnt churches we looked at baptise infants. As a teen the chikd is confirmed menaing she makes a profession of faith which is a personal choice.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Since: Feb 13

United States

#84348 Apr 19, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think.
You got that right.

Location hidden

#84349 Apr 19, 2013
Anabaptists:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anabaptist

"The name Anabaptist is derived from the Greek term anabaptista, or "one who baptizes over again." This name was given them by their enemies in reference to the practice of "re-baptizing" converts who "already had been baptized" (or sprinkled) as infants.[5] Anabaptists required that baptismal candidates be able to make their own confessions of faith and so rejected baptism of infants."

However, I got my info in previous posts from college religion courses, especially the class I took on the Amish (fascinating stuff).

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#84350 Apr 19, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Lutheranism, Methodism, Presbyterianism, and Episocopal(ism?) of course are borne from Catholicism, so those mainstream protestant religions also baptise infants.
Some do, many don't.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#84351 Apr 19, 2013
So, Preheating oven to 500 for the first 15 minutes of cooking for my prime rib! After that its down to 320 (yeah they say 325) and a nice boat ride. Then its time to make the mashed potatoes (I love mashed potatoes) and a meal fit for a king (which I am)

Whoot!

Location hidden

#84353 Apr 19, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Some do, many don't.
Incorrect. MOST do. It's in the liturgy. Infant baptism.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#84354 Apr 19, 2013
Former Baptist here. Can confirm they do it a as older folks. Kids can get baptized if they wish, but usually have to get re-baptized as an adult if they want to become a church member.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#84355 Apr 19, 2013
My SIL and her fiancé are on their way in. I feel a drink or five is in my future tonight. And tomorrow night.

She continued her FB rants today about girls running around campus in leggings (against dress code) and J called her out on it ("It's not a military school or prison.")

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#84356 Apr 19, 2013
Also, grats on the baptism, Jam. I think if ocean baptisms had been around when I was a kid, I'd have actually done it, heh.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#84357 Apr 19, 2013
They got him. Alive. Its over.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How to make a woman squirtting 5 min GuGu 1
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 29 min Guru 181,710
im single black hndsome 1 hr ligolyser 1
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr shinningelectr0n 1,153,060
women are so shallow these days (Nov '11) 2 hr Silk 81
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 6 hr JOEL 70,988
CHICAGO BEARS ARE SHYT. Boycott them 8 hr Sublime1 19
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago