Topix Chitown Regulars

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Since: Feb 13

United States

#84267 Apr 18, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
I hear ya, Jess. My kids can tell the difference between chicken strips/nuggets. It didn't used to matter, now Nunu will only eat Tyson. Grrr.
And yay for no regurgitation!
It's nice living in a country where kids can be that picky.

My parents had no problem telling me I'd eat what they served and like it. Lucky for me, I liked most things, but when I didn't it didn't matter. And I kinda think that's how it should be. I know, I know, easier said than done and all that, but still....

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

#84268 Apr 18, 2013
Challenger - I was in third grade. Matilda, I remember wondering about the bodies too.

Jess: I was a super picky eater as a kid and now I'll try anything, so there's hope.:)

Pancakes - I miss my grandmother making the really thin ones (they were actually crepes, I guess). I ate them with raspberry jam and my mom ate them with cottage cheese with raisins mixed in. My grandmother didn't eat them at all, she didn't really care for them but loved it when we asked her to make them.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#84269 Apr 18, 2013
Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
<quoted text>It's nice living in a country where kids can be that picky.

My parents had no problem telling me I'd eat what they served and like it. Lucky for me, I liked most things, but when I didn't it didn't matter. And I kinda think that's how it should be. I know, I know, easier said than done and all that, but still....
Like you said, lucky for you that you liked most things.

Our pediatrician told us when Ry was 2 that if he was hungry enough he would eat. He went 4 days without eating. Later, when we tried to get him to try things he didn't like, he would literally vomit on us or the table.

I don't believe in making 4 different meals for the family or making something different if my child decides in the middle of dinner that he would rather eat something else, but I think that each child's needs should be addressed individually.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#84270 Apr 18, 2013
Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
<quoted text>
It's nice living in a country where kids can be that picky.
Mine did too, and both my sister and I spent a significant amount of time at an empty dinner table slowly finishing up cold veggies or whatever.

But, I can understand parents not wanting to make the dinner table a battle ground for every meal, and I know my parents worked around a few of our "won't eats".

Heh...I was out in my yard last summer, and my neighbors had their little grandkids over. I hear my neighbor go "Hey,(grandkid), do you want another hot dog?" And it occurred to me that if we were to have children, I'd have to keep crap like that in my home. Not just hot dogs, but all kinds of kid-friendly food. Sort of blew my mind in that instant. We don't eat a lot of that kind of stuff.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#84272 Apr 18, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
Like you said, lucky for you that you liked most things.
Our pediatrician told us when Ry was 2 that if he was hungry enough he would eat. He went 4 days without eating. Later, when we tried to get him to try things he didn't like, he would literally vomit on us or the table.
I don't believe in making 4 different meals for the family or making something different if my child decides in the middle of dinner that he would rather eat something else, but I think that each child's needs should be addressed individually.
My friend C's kid was crazy picky like that, from the time he started eating solid foods. He went to food therapy for a couple years--I guess it was a texture thing. If he didn't like the texture of something, he wasn't having any of that. Now he's almost 7 and will eat almost anything.

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

#84273 Apr 18, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Heh...I was out in my yard last summer, and my neighbors had their little grandkids over. I hear my neighbor go "Hey,(grandkid), do you want another hot dog?" And it occurred to me that if we were to have children, I'd have to keep crap like that in my home. Not just hot dogs, but all kinds of kid-friendly food. Sort of blew my mind in that instant. We don't eat a lot of that kind of stuff.
If a kid looked in my refrigerator and cupboards, s/he'd cry at the emptiness. In fact, I've probably brought some of my grown-ass adult friends near tears with the lack of stock in my kitchen.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#84274 Apr 18, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
My boys will only eat Bisquick pancakes. I actually like the way they turn out - very fluffy.
I also use Bisquick to make Chicken and Dumplings (real chicken and dumplings, not spaetzles that my MIL calls dumplings). I may have to make that tomorrow.
When i was a kid, my mom used bisquick to make the bisquits for Strawberry Shortcake...cool memory.....You sound like an awesome cook?.....What's the boy's favorite, McDonalds, Burger King or another?

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#84275 Apr 18, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>When i was a kid, my mom used bisquick to make the bisquits for Strawberry Shortcake...cool memory.....You sound like an awesome cook?.....What's the boy's favorite, McDonalds, Burger King or another?
I'm not great at cooking, but I'm getting better :)

The boys love Wendy's. I like the salads there and the staff at the one near our house are awesome.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#84276 Apr 18, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>If a kid looked in my refrigerator and cupboards, s/he'd cry at the emptiness. In fact, I've probably brought some of my grown-ass adult friends near tears with the lack of stock in my kitchen.
My lack of spices was a running joke for the longest time. I threw a bring-your-own-meat BBQwhen I bought my old house, and all I had was salt and pepper.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Since: Feb 13

United States

#84277 Apr 18, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>When i was a kid, my mom used bisquick to make the bisquits for Strawberry Shortcake...cool memory.....You sound like an awesome cook?.....What's the boy's favorite, McDonalds, Burger King or another?
So did mine, with fresh strawberries and Cool Whhhhip.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#84278 Apr 18, 2013
Between beers? I dunno, always just used those little cans of budlite.
`
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
Does it make a difference to the flavor of the food which kind you use?

#84279 Apr 18, 2013
Thanks, great write up. Though I have yet to meet a RUSH fan who thought "Trees" to be icky.
Vapor Trails and Snakes and Arrows were the two that gave me pause, but once you know all the lyrics you can appreciate the music they are wrapped around.
squishymama wrote:

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#84280 Apr 18, 2013
Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
<quoted text>
So did mine, with fresh strawberries and Cool Whhhhip.
You know....we used to have the original noodle mix....Noodles Romanoff....2-3 times a week, as i absolutely loved it...but Kraft or Betty Crocker....one of their suits took it away...lol....they alway's take my favorite stuff....lol....

#84281 Apr 18, 2013
And, I also just read that Canada is releasing a RUSH stamp! I gotta get me some of those!

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#84282 Apr 18, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I just watched it. Just go to youtube and search for:
boston bruins national anthem
It's pretty darned cool.
I'm gonna check it out now. I love crowd singing. Good crowd singing. At concerts. Like when the crowd knows every word and the singer shuts up for a whole verse and the crowd takes over. That's powerful.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#84283 Apr 18, 2013
That was awesome!

#84284 Apr 18, 2013
And you've never been to a RUSH concert?
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>I'm gonna check it out now. I love crowd singing. Good crowd singing. At concerts. Like when the crowd knows every word and the singer shuts up for a whole verse and the crowd takes over. That's powerful.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#84285 Apr 18, 2013
i've done some reading on childhood obesity and childhood eating/food issues, and making a big deal about eating and food can really mess with kids' heads.

I made tater tot hotdish (a Minnesota staple) last night for the first time for Nick and the boys. nick liked it okay. the kids did not. Nick jr got up and said "can I be done? I know it means I don't get dessert." nick said sure. i told Nick that I didn't think it was fair to deny him dessert because he had a kind of lame supper foisted upon him.

*I* didn't eat it. I had a lean cuisine. so to force him to eat it or deny dessert for NOT eating it seems hypocritical on my part. Nick agreed and let them both have snacks (well, plus, they were still hungry). but Nick thought it probably was too bland for them. we figured out how to jazz it up and we're going to try again.

luckily, my feelings were not hurt and the boys were rather diplomatic about it given their ages and smart mouths. ;)

Location hidden

#84286 Apr 18, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Mine did too, and both my sister and I spent a significant amount of time at an empty dinner table slowly finishing up cold veggies or whatever.
But, I can understand parents not wanting to make the dinner table a battle ground for every meal, and I know my parents worked around a few of our "won't eats".
but you DON'T have to feed your kids that stuff. I have friends whose kids have never had a hot dog in the home, they've never served chicken nuggets, etc. It's just that it's EASY stuff to prepare for kids when you're tired and overwhelmed or you just got home and the kids are hungry NOW. kids' tastebuds are far more sensitive than adults', so things that may taste fine to us can be overwhelming to a young child.

And yet, my friend's 2.5yo can eat spicier foods than *I* can eat.

Location hidden

#84287 Apr 18, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
That was awesome!
(1)I HATE HATE HATE when the crowd sings at a concert. but I accept that I have to tolerate it.

(2) I am happy that you liked the video.:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 50 min sonicfilter 1,264,683
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr Dr Guru MD CEO CFO 194,741
Best value kit'chens of europe reviews 5 hr selamet 1
Ask Amy August 3 6 hr mrs gladys kravitz 9
Music Artists A to Z (Feb '14) 7 hr _Zoey_ 443
Word (Dec '08) 7 hr _Zoey_ 5,383
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 7 hr _Zoey_ 6,260
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages