It's kinda boring with the tonka.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#84199 Apr 17, 2013
*without

Location hidden

#84200 Apr 17, 2013
I think I read that 17 limbs had been amputated, or that 17 people had limbs amputated (several lost both legs).

Lives changed forever. lives ruined financially.

the surviving victims of the Oklahoma City bombing literally are living on welfare and on public health care because the foundation created to handle the millions of dollars taht got donated for their care refuses to turn the money over to the people and instead sends them instructions on how to go on public assistance.

And then they donate the money to other "charitable" groups.

One woman is taking care of her grandson with lung problems -- his parents died in the explosion and he was with them as a baby or toddler -- and they are on welfare and medicaid because he needs around the clock care, when there are MILLIONS of funds that could be helping them.

Location hidden

#84201 Apr 17, 2013
this is why I will never donate to any of the big post-crisis/catastrophe funds. i don't believe my money will go to where it's intended.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#84202 Apr 17, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I think I read that 17 limbs had been amputated, or that 17 people had limbs amputated (several lost both legs).
Lives changed forever. lives ruined financially.
the surviving victims of the Oklahoma City bombing literally are living on welfare and on public health care because the foundation created to handle the millions of dollars taht got donated for their care refuses to turn the money over to the people and instead sends them instructions on how to go on public assistance.
And then they donate the money to other "charitable" groups.
One woman is taking care of her grandson with lung problems -- his parents died in the explosion and he was with them as a baby or toddler -- and they are on welfare and medicaid because he needs around the clock care, when there are MILLIONS of funds that could be helping them.
Do you have any source for all this Oklahoma City victims, having to go on welfare?

Location hidden

#84203 Apr 17, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Do you have any source for all this Oklahoma City victims, having to go on welfare?
I am not sure, just saw a show about it in the last month or so. maybe 60 minutes? They interviewed the head of the board that overseas the money and she insists they're doing nothing wrnog, that why should the survivors use the money when the government has programs for poor people with health problems?

Then when she was asked, "if you're not going to dispense the money, what's the point in the foundation?' she said that they DO dispense money, an dthen named some charity completely unrelated to the bombing. She also emphasized that it's very important that the money always be there. If you start spending the money, then eventualyl, it'll all be gone.

freakin' idiots.

Location hidden

#84204 Apr 17, 2013

Location hidden

#84205 Apr 18, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
..Thanks, Red.....

Location hidden

#84206 Apr 18, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>..Thanks, Red.....
You're welcome. I'm glad I could find something! And I respect a person who sees a post like mine and says, "Wait a minute, I can't just go on the words of a stranger on the 'net, can you back that up with something?"

In other, better news, I woke up this morning to a purring Mia curled up next to me!!! I reset the alarm to give us 30 minutes of snuggling time. I was very happy.

Location hidden

#84207 Apr 18, 2013
I'll post the columns. Give me a copule of minutes.

Location hidden

#84208 Apr 18, 2013
I posted Amy, but it's not showing yet that I can tell.

Abby:

http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/TJK9GKVB4V...

Location hidden

#84209 Apr 18, 2013
I posted my responses to the ABby column, then the column disappeared. If it doesn't come back, we can try to repost.

Location hidden

#84210 Apr 18, 2013

Location hidden

#84211 Apr 18, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
You're welcome. I'm glad I could find something! And I respect a person who sees a post like mine and says, "Wait a minute, I can't just go on the words of a stranger on the 'net, can you back that up with something?"
In other, better news, I woke up this morning to a purring Mia curled up next to me!!! I reset the alarm to give us 30 minutes of snuggling time. I was very happy.
You have a lot of love and patience for your cat, Mia....have you ever figured up, what her total vet bills have been?...We had a black lab, Soot....she blew out both knee's growing up...it was a fortune....

Location hidden

#84212 Apr 18, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Fascinating and troubling...The lady that run's the foundation even admitted in the end, they might have handled things differently.....geesh.....

Location hidden

#84213 Apr 18, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>You have a lot of love and patience for your cat, Mia....have you ever figured up, what her total vet bills have been?...We had a black lab, Soot....she blew out both knee's growing up...it was a fortune....
I'm thinking $3,000 in vet bills? Maybe $2,500? Just in the last 18 months (two emergency surgeries). Bailey cost me $2K in three weeks before she died. Abbie cost me about $2K in the month before she died.

Location hidden

#84214 Apr 18, 2013
I don't even like Mia that much. She's certainly not in my top five cats ever (Rose is). I LOVE her, but she's really not that great of a pet (don't hold her, don't pick her up, don't carry her around, blah blah blah -- I do it anyway but she doesn't like it).

She's a low-energy cat, but when she is in the mood to tear around, she's a HOOT. And she is the boss of Rose, which is funny to see.

Location hidden

#84215 Apr 18, 2013
And thanks, Blue. I'll be nice to you, even though you seem to be a Michigan fan. ;)

Location hidden

#84216 Apr 18, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>You have a lot of love and patience for your cat, Mia....have you ever figured up, what her total vet bills have been?...We had a black lab, Soot....she blew out both knee's growing up...it was a fortune....
My vet tech said she couldn't go on vacation this year because her dog needed both knees replaced this year.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#84217 Apr 18, 2013
Hi All! Before campaign season gets too crazy, I thought it was about time that I set up an account that didn't have my real name in it.

Did y'all see/hear the fans at the Bruins game singing the National Anthem last night? I got a little teary eyed, but I'll admit that I was impressed that so many hockey fans knew all the words to the National Anthem. Maybe I should just change that to so many people in general.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min THE DEVIL 1,102,041
Sin City is in the Streets of Chicago. Where i... 24 min Culture Auditor 1
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 35 min well 49,521
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 44 min LRS 177,549
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 44 min gcaveman1 46,390
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr J RULES 69,109
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 2 hr the wandering girl 4,681
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE