Topix Chitown Regulars

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#84225 Apr 18, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
I did. The news stations mentioned it a lot. I agree that it was a classy move on their part.
Ry asked me today why it was such a big deal that the whole arena was singing the National Anthem. He wasn't around for 9/11, but he has been watching the news reports about the bombing at the marathon. He also has to write a paper about people being mean, how that makes him feel and what he can do to stop it. That was assigned on Monday morning, which I find kind of eerie. This morning's breakfast conversation was definitely heavier than usual.
J and I were watching this 6 part (I think) series on Nat Geo about the 80s and they covered the whole Challenger explosion. That would have been about the same kind of thing at the same age for us. Not that that was done on purpose, of course. But in things in the media that boggle the mind of the super young. I remember being very concerned with what happened to their bodies.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

#84226 Apr 18, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
Hi All! Before campaign season gets too crazy, I thought it was about time that I set up an account that didn't have my real name in it.
Did y'all see/hear the fans at the Bruins game singing the National Anthem last night? I got a little teary eyed, but I'll admit that I was impressed that so many hockey fans knew all the words to the National Anthem. Maybe I should just change that to so many people in general.
They played it on NPR this morning. I was glad I was still in the shower, where I could cry in private.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#84227 Apr 18, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
My vet tech said she couldn't go on vacation this year because her dog needed both knees replaced this year.
Yes....as i recall, her knee's cost $700-900 each....but i live in an expensive area...lol...She was such a good girl...i still get chocked up thinking of several of my past, great dogs.....Talking about shedding a tear, you need to see the singing of the National Anthem, last night at the Boston Bruins game...it will really hit ya......

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#84228 Apr 18, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>J and I were watching this 6 part (I think) series on Nat Geo about the 80s and they covered the whole Challenger explosion. That would have been about the same kind of thing at the same age for us. Not that that was done on purpose, of course. But in things in the media that boggle the mind of the super young. I remember being very concerned with what happened to their bodies.
I remember watching it in school and the teachers crying all day long.

I don't remember my parents talking to me about it, though. My mom tells me now that it didn't even occur to her to discuss things like I do with my boys. If she only knew what my friends and I came up with as explanations instead.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#84229 Apr 18, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
Hi All! Before campaign season gets too crazy, I thought it was about time that I set up an account that didn't have my real name in it.
Did y'all see/hear the fans at the Bruins game singing the National Anthem last night? I got a little teary eyed, but I'll admit that I was impressed that so many hockey fans knew all the words to the National Anthem. Maybe I should just change that to so many people in general.
You tryin' to give NJ a good name? ;-)
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#84230 Apr 18, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
J and I were watching this 6 part (I think) series on Nat Geo about the 80s and they covered the whole Challenger explosion. That would have been about the same kind of thing at the same age for us. Not that that was done on purpose, of course. But in things in the media that boggle the mind of the super young. I remember being very concerned with what happened to their bodies.
I meant to catch that 80s show on NG. Is it still on?

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#84231 Apr 18, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>You tryin' to give NJ a good name? ;-)
It's a combo of RU (Scarlet Knights) and my eye color - plus they happen to be my sorority colors :)

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#84232 Apr 18, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
I saw it live on TV in the school library (Jim V and I had skipped some class or another to watch it in a tiny office). At first, we didn't realize what had happened. When we did, I immediately went and got the social studies teacher and she came to where we were. We weren't that upset, but she was a wreck.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#84233 Apr 18, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>I saw it live on TV in the school library (Jim V and I had skipped some class or another to watch it in a tiny office). At first, we didn't realize what had happened. When we did, I immediately went and got the social studies teacher and she came to where we were. We weren't that upset, but she was a wreck.
I was in 4th grade and they gathered our classes into the library so we could all watch it. One of our teachers had submitted an essay an was very disappointed that she wasn't chosen to go. I remember her gasp so vividly.

Location hidden

#84234 Apr 18, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
I was in 4th grade and they gathered our classes into the library so we could all watch it. One of our teachers had submitted an essay an was very disappointed that she wasn't chosen to go. I remember her gasp so vividly.
I was a senior. January 28, 1986.

Location hidden

#84235 Apr 18, 2013
LUnch today is a honeycrisp apple (if you can find them where you are, try one, they are the best -- sweet, but very crisp) and an amazing Dutch aged gouda. Yum.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#84236 Apr 18, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
LUnch today is a honeycrisp apple (if you can find them where you are, try one, they are the best -- sweet, but very crisp) and an amazing Dutch aged gouda. Yum.
So jealous! Are you stopping by to share with me? E requested pancakes today. They are not quite hitting the spot right now.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#84237 Apr 18, 2013
I love pancakes...even the pancakes and sausage at McDonalds....it's one of their only items that i think have any taste to it...When i was a kid, the Quarterounder was good, but now it tastes like cardboard.....lol....BK has mo taste.....

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#84238 Apr 18, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I was a senior. January 28, 1986.
My sister's 3rd birthday. I think I was in 2nd grade.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#84239 Apr 18, 2013
Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
Not sure. I'm sure they'll re-play it at some point; it was really well done.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#84240 Apr 18, 2013
Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
I checked. They'll be running the whole thing on Saturday several times.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#84241 Apr 18, 2013
My sister gave me a bunch of my old school papers that she found at my dad's. I kept the Weekly Readers (memba those?) from before and after the explosion.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#84242 Apr 18, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
I love pancakes...even the pancakes and sausage at McDonalds....it's one of their only items that i think have any taste to it...When i was a kid, the Quarterounder was good, but now it tastes like cardboard.....lol....BK has mo taste.....
My boys will only eat Bisquick pancakes. I actually like the way they turn out - very fluffy.

I also use Bisquick to make Chicken and Dumplings (real chicken and dumplings, not spaetzles that my MIL calls dumplings). I may have to make that tomorrow.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#84243 Apr 18, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
My sister gave me a bunch of my old school papers that she found at my dad's. I kept the Weekly Readers (memba those?) from before and after the explosion.
I bet those are collectibles now.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

#84244 Apr 18, 2013
so, anyone want to help me bail out and clean up three basements? it'd be fun! Really!! And some good beer afterwards...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 min red and right 194,542
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 33 min ritedownthemiddle 1,263,831
Ask Amy July 31 3 hr Julie 6
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 4 hr litesong 54,356
abby7-31-15 6 hr mrs gladys kravitz 5
News Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 8 hr Mark 52,069
Amy 7-30-15 10 hr Mister Tonka 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages