|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Aisle Sitter wrote:
<quoted text>
i thoguht that was at the Biograph at Lincoln just north of Fullerton...? my collegiate stomping ground...
Biograph was where John Dillinger was shot.
The St Valentines Day Massacre was in the garage at Calrk and Belden

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Meh. I don't really care why. I care why *he* thinks we did so that I can get my A. Beyond that...<shrug>
When you get some extra time to read (hah! I know) find Barbara Tuchman's March of Folly. She explores 5 or 6 episodes in history where governments took action that could not possibly had a favorable outcome. Most are ancient or historical but she includes VietNam.
She is a good historian and very readable.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Des Plaines, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Biograph was where John Dillinger was shot.
meh, greater lincoln park, gangsters, prohibition, shootings.... it all runs together in my mind...:-j`

<ducks & runs>

in all seriousness, do i at least get points for putting some of that together ?

“It made sense at the time....”

Des Plaines, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

oh, and BTW, im making a quilt/blanket for a baby shower on saturday.... i'll try to remember to get a photo i can use for my avatar. the mom asked for books, so i found some book-character fabric and i'm trying a couple things for the first time.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
Wow. This guy needs clean underwear!
http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/excursions/pos...
Geez....Who would imagine, fishing for tuna from a kayak, might be problematic?..lol...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Biograph was where John Dillinger was shot.
...That must be correct, since Capone's mob enemys would have been on the northside...i know that is where O'Banion, the florist was.....Capone started out running just the southside....
dahgts

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>...That must be correct, since Capone's mob enemys would have been on the northside...i know that is where O'Banion, the florist was.....Capone started out running just the southside....
Yeah, the florist was across the street from Holy Name Cathedral.
Too bad the buildings are gone. would make a great walking tour.

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2013

So I watched the movie Flight last night. It was really good (and as a random aside, has a really good soundtrack) but made me feel a lot more emotional turmoil than I was expecting.

My friend: "This movie makes me never want to drink again."
Me: "This movie makes me want a drink and a cigarette."

Speaking of alcoholics, Matilda...
;)
dahgts

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
At a restaurant waiting for my friend. I ordered wine and actually had a preference as to what kind of Reisling I got. Does this mean I'm becoming a wine snob or an alcoholic? Both?
It does not make you a wine snob. It makes you knowledgeable as to what you like. Riesling can be a very good aperitif. Wine snobs can also be ones who ridicule your choice of wines.

I'll leave the alcoholic part up to you.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2013

dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, the florist was across the street from Holy Name Cathedral.
Too bad the buildings are gone. would make a great walking tour.
We watch a series on HBO, Boardwalk Empire....about a bootlegger and mob boss in Atlantic ity and Capone comes in and out of the story....
dahgts

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2013

Aisle Sitter wrote:
<quoted text>
i haven't had anyone ask me about famous chicagoans.
i thoguht of somethign else to warn you about... european pillows tend to be smaller and flatter than what we ahve here, so if you are a side sleeper or just need more pillow, bring a pillow case and shove a pair of jeans or a sweater in there to prop you up... that and some anxiety over work left behind left me with some crappy nights sleep...
I don't think anyone asks anymore either, maybe in small towns. I use a memory foam contour pillow so maybe flat is good. Wish I could bring my pillow. Thanks for the info.

I've been calling this the trip of doom. flight cancelled because of dreamliner, train ticket debacle, bad back and big toe. Friend going with has hemorrhoids and a bad knee and no sense of direction. And more. I'm out of here today.

“bELieve”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2013

dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think anyone asks anymore either, maybe in small towns. I use a memory foam contour pillow so maybe flat is good. Wish I could bring my pillow. Thanks for the info.

I've been calling this the trip of doom. flight cancelled because of dreamliner, train ticket debacle, bad back and big toe. Friend going with has hemorrhoids and a bad knee and no sense of direction. And more. I'm out of here today.
Good luck! Hope you have a surprisingly good trip and come back with lots of stories for us and great memories for you :)

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2013

dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think anyone asks anymore either, maybe in small towns. I use a memory foam contour pillow so maybe flat is good. Wish I could bring my pillow. Thanks for the info.
Spring is lovely in Europe. Have a good time.
Find a computer and post a hello just so we can see a real foreign ISP location under your name.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2013

Okay, lazy asses, I'll grab the girls.
;)

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2013

Where are the ladies? Edog sleeping in?

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2013

slacker in chief

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2013

“reign in blood”

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2013

Judged:

Toj wrote:
Where are the ladies? Edog sleeping in?
I wish. Barely made it to work as it was. Spent all night wrapped in two comforters shivering yet sweating. And I puked blood this morning. I've had the worst headache I've ever had for the last three days, and my kidneys hurt.
Happy Friday!

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2013

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I wish. Barely made it to work as it was. Spent all night wrapped in two comforters shivering yet sweating. And I puked blood this morning. I've had the worst headache I've ever had for the last three days, and my kidneys hurt.
Happy Friday!
See a doctor.
If not a doctor, an urgent care center.
Puking blood and sore kidneys are not good.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Happy Friday!
Flu or hangover?

Decent segue into: weekend plans, everyone?

My friend L's birthday outing is tomorrow night and it'll be a girls night. Should be fun.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 82,821 - 82,840 of97,511
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

37 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 4 min TRD 67,862
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 5 min Stuart Cudahy 45,763
Abby 7-23 6 min edogxxx 1
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min WAKE UP DEM VOTERS 1,078,386
Amy 7-23 9 min edogxxx 1
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 12 min truth 48,840
One kilometre high and counting (Jul '07) 18 min hands on AR 5
•••

Beach Hazards Statement for Cook County was issued at July 23 at 3:16AM CDT

•••
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••