|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
Speaking of old...
I was in my "Vietnam and the 1960s" class yesterday. My teacher, a Vietnam vet (so he's way serious about the subject) is of that generation; came of age in the early 60s. I haven't asked, but a little deductive reasoning, looking at pictures of him then (yeah, he put them in the syllabus) and looking at him now, I would say 70-ish is a pretty good estimate of his age.
Anyway, he plays music from that era every day because there are actually people in the class who have never heard some of the anti-war/protest songs of the day. Very cool. I still don't get how "Society's Child" is about the war, but whatever...maybe it's the overall feel of the 60s...
Anyway, he was playing "War" ( http://www.youtube.com/watch... ) during the mid-class break (3 hour class) and I noticed he was just standing at the podium rocking out.
Intellectually it makes sense, it's music of the time he came of age...his generation, but it's just kind of funny (?) watching this "old" guy (my parents' age) all rocking out.
Then it occurred to me that's probably how my nephews view me rocking out to AC/DC or something.
That'sme, my generation. I was born in 50 and was in college 67-71. Friends' older brothers were advisors in Nam as early as 1964 to my personal recollection.The embassy was evacuated in 75(?).

The music and the smell of weed and incense will give a flashback to a helluva a lot of us who never left the country.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Mimi- if you can access Domini, she is a military historian teaching at the college level. I would love to follow a discussion with you two

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

I was talking with my daughter about it, and then realized that her mother and my X are both her FB friends. Since I want nothing to do with either of them, I dont want them to try and friend me, but also know that will probably cause my kid some noise.

Decided to ditch the whole thing.

j_m_w wrote:
So last weekend I posted a couple of pictures of my dogs on Facebook. My mom sent me an email referencing these pictures, but we're not Facebook friends. Upon further research, we don't even have any mutual friends (the one we used to have has apparently unfriended me, which is a separate issue). I double checked my security settings and only friends can see stuff, not even friends of friends. I'm baffled and a little nervous about this.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
No it was just south of teh corner of Clark and Belden. Cicero is pretty far away now and had poorer transportation then.
In the early 1960's my Chicago high school offered horseback riding clases in Lincoln Park. The garage/stable was just across the street from the St Valentines Day garage. It was torn down in the 70's I think. There is a highrise public housing for seniors on the site now. My husband lived about a block away when we met in the early 80's. I haven't walked the area on foot in 30 years. I don't think there is a plaque.
The only person posting here who references being in that neighborhood might be Sam
Oh cool. Thanks. I really don't know much about the city other than the Capone connection. Kinda sad being as it's kind of a big deal city for the whole country...

My mom told me that when they lived there when she was just a little kid that her mom would stroke out whenever she answered the door. Kinda makes me wonder about the people my grandmother hung out with...

“What's it to ya?”

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
My SIL's latest crabby passive-aggressive FB post was something like "Just putting this out there, but if you have inappropriate FB pictures I'm going to start deleting you". So I said "Is (J) posting his nude yoga pictures again?"
I don't think she found it as funny as we did.
Ahahahahahahaha!!!

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope.
I might have to ask her exactly what she can see. This means admitting that I never responded to her friend request, but I'm concerned.
Hey, mom -- I'm looking for the pictures of my dogs. Where did you see those? I can't remember where I put them. A friend of mine wants to see them.

“What's it to ya?”

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
That'sme, my generation. I was born in 50 and was in college 67-71. Friends' older brothers were advisors in Nam as early as 1964 to my personal recollection.The embassy was evacuated in 75(?).
The music and the smell of weed and incense will give a flashback to a helluva a lot of us who never left the country.
I think he was in kinda early. He's thrown a shitton of info at us over the past four days and I'm still trying to parse it, but I think he said something about being with MAAG around '64 which would have made him an "adviser." He saw ground combat though, so I'm just not sure.

Right now though it doesn't really matter. All I need to do is answer the question "why did we go to Vietnam" to his satisfaction. As long as I do that, I get my A and that's really all that matters. I needed a (just one) US History credit (how I missed this I do not know) so I took the class. <shrug>

“What's it to ya?”

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, mom -- I'm looking for the pictures of my dogs. Where did you see those? I can't remember where I put them. A friend of mine wants to see them.
Yep. I was going to say something similar. She doesn't have to admit she refused the friend request.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Since: Feb 13

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, the inability to understand a viewpoint that differs from yours is what makes you narrow-minded and intolerant.
Talking to yourself again, dum dum?

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
I think he was in kinda early. He's thrown a shitton of info at us over the past four days and I'm still trying to parse it, but I think he said something about being with MAAG around '64 which would have made him an "adviser." He saw ground combat though, so I'm just not sure.
Right now though it doesn't really matter. All I need to do is answer the question "why did we go to Vietnam" to his satisfaction. As long as I do that, I get my A and that's really all that matters. I needed a (just one) US History credit (how I missed this I do not know) so I took the class. <shrug>
The bigger question is "Why did we go to Vietnam and in whose view"? I can remember debating the Vietnam War and talking about it inside and out from around 1968 to about 1978.

That and the Beatles, Manson, sit-ins, etc.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, genius! Thanks.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Since: Feb 13

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

Hey Race, great news!! I found someone for you!!

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/beared-...

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

RACE wrote:
I was talking with my daughter about it, and then realized that her mother and my X are both her FB friends. Since I want nothing to do with either of them, I dont want them to try and friend me, but also know that will probably cause my kid some noise.
Decided to ditch the whole thing.
<quoted text>
Ah, bummer, but I don't blame you. My only real regret is friending my MIL, but it would be way more drama not to. I just blocked her from my feed.

Practically the *second* I signed up, my ex-boyfriend sent me a friend request. I ignored it and he sent another. We didn't end things on a bad note, really, but why the f would you think I'd want you to know the ins and outs of my life or that I'd want to know about yours?

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
My SIL's latest crabby passive-aggressive FB post was something like "Just putting this out there, but if you have inappropriate FB pictures I'm going to start deleting you". So I said "Is (J) posting his nude yoga pictures again?"

I don't think she found it as funny as we did.
I think you are very funny!

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> I still have difficulty imagining why anyone would be againest equal marriage rights?.....You spoke of Capone....I grew up in Park Forest and my fifth-grade teacher. Mrs.Kelly.....claimed her uncle owned the garage, where the Valentine's Day Massacre took place...lol....
I was a kid when Park Forest started. We called it "Stork Forest", because of all the new families moving in. The mall kind of wrecked the Heights downtown stores.

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the history lesson! The name Thompson was in my head but couldn't remember if he was mayor or governor. Blago was Illinois first democrat gov in... a while. We saw how that played out. Quinn is our second... and we see how that's working, also. Hopefully Illinois voters will wise up now come the next election.
There was a governor in recent history named Thompson.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
We went and saw Henry Rollins last night! It was way cool. Dude spoke for 2 hours and 15 minutes straight. I don't talk that much in a week.
He drinks a lot of coffee.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Heh. I'm paranoid. Turns out when my mom said "I can see it" referring to the dogs, she meant in her mind's eye. I forgot that I told her about how I hung out at A's pool on Sunday and my bigger dog went swimming and my little one sat on a chair with us like a little princess. Yeah, enough details to give her a mental picture.

Sorry for falsely accusing you, Facebook!

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
My great-grandmother once told me that she'd walked past that garage on her way to church and that the massacre had happened between the time she walked to church and home from church. I believed it when I was seven, but I'm not so sure about it now. <shrug> They lived in Cicero(?) is that near there?
Sorry my whole Chicago experience has been only in the general vicinity of the train station near State Street(? I think?), and O'Hare airport. so I don't really know the geography well.
Yeah, i believe that was Capone's central location....it was a neat thing for a fifth-grader to think about...lol...I feel old, when i think that i remember the opening of O'Hare and connected through there a coupla years ago and thought how undersixed it is now, for all that air traffic.....I still recall flying into Midway, as a kid....

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
Speaking of old...
I was in my "Vietnam and the 1960s" class yesterday. My teacher, a Vietnam vet (so he's way serious about the subject) is of that generation; came of age in the early 60s. I haven't asked, but a little deductive reasoning, looking at pictures of him then (yeah, he put them in the syllabus) and looking at him now, I would say 70-ish is a pretty good estimate of his age.
Anyway, he plays music from that era every day because there are actually people in the class who have never heard some of the anti-war/protest songs of the day. Very cool. I still don't get how "Society's Child" is about the war, but whatever...maybe it's the overall feel of the 60s...
Anyway, he was playing "War" ( http://www.youtube.com/watch... ) during the mid-class break (3 hour class) and I noticed he was just standing at the podium rocking out.
Intellectually it makes sense, it's music of the time he came of age...his generation, but it's just kind of funny (?) watching this "old" guy (my parents' age) all rocking out.
Then it occurred to me that's probably how my nephews view me rocking out to AC/DC or something.
...I had two older brothers that fought in Vietnam....they survived, but one drank himself to an end, and the other retired a Capt. from Chicago FD, but has had problems with the Agent Orange exposure from there....lost alotta friends from Vietnam....the song that really get's me from that war is, the Youngblood's, Darkness, Darkness....if you ever hear it, you will understand why.....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 82,781 - 82,800 of97,455
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

22 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min mdbuilder 1,072,843
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 min Obskeptic 173,746
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 8 min SpaceBlues 45,563
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 49 min Corrupt Democrats 1,831
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 3 hr voice of peace 67,543
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 3 hr Stuart Cudahy 68,163
Make 1000$ instantly 6 hr generalwon1 1
•••

Flood Warning for Cook County was issued at July 12 at 8:58PM CDT

•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search