Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#83933 Apr 11, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
I think he was in kinda early. He's thrown a shitton of info at us over the past four days and I'm still trying to parse it, but I think he said something about being with MAAG around '64 which would have made him an "adviser." He saw ground combat though, so I'm just not sure.
Right now though it doesn't really matter. All I need to do is answer the question "why did we go to Vietnam" to his satisfaction. As long as I do that, I get my A and that's really all that matters. I needed a (just one) US History credit (how I missed this I do not know) so I took the class. <shrug>
The bigger question is "Why did we go to Vietnam and in whose view"? I can remember debating the Vietnam War and talking about it inside and out from around 1968 to about 1978.

That and the Beatles, Manson, sit-ins, etc.

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#83934 Apr 11, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, mom -- I'm looking for the pictures of my dogs. Where did you see those? I can't remember where I put them. A friend of mine wants to see them.
Ah, genius! Thanks.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Since: Feb 13

Knoxville, TN

#83935 Apr 11, 2013
Hey Race, great news!! I found someone for you!!

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/beared-...

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#83936 Apr 11, 2013
RACE wrote:
I was talking with my daughter about it, and then realized that her mother and my X are both her FB friends. Since I want nothing to do with either of them, I dont want them to try and friend me, but also know that will probably cause my kid some noise.
Decided to ditch the whole thing.
<quoted text>
Ah, bummer, but I don't blame you. My only real regret is friending my MIL, but it would be way more drama not to. I just blocked her from my feed.

Practically the *second* I signed up, my ex-boyfriend sent me a friend request. I ignored it and he sent another. We didn't end things on a bad note, really, but why the f would you think I'd want you to know the ins and outs of my life or that I'd want to know about yours?

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#83937 Apr 11, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
My SIL's latest crabby passive-aggressive FB post was something like "Just putting this out there, but if you have inappropriate FB pictures I'm going to start deleting you". So I said "Is (J) posting his nude yoga pictures again?"

I don't think she found it as funny as we did.
I think you are very funny!

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#83938 Apr 11, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> I still have difficulty imagining why anyone would be againest equal marriage rights?.....You spoke of Capone....I grew up in Park Forest and my fifth-grade teacher. Mrs.Kelly.....claimed her uncle owned the garage, where the Valentine's Day Massacre took place...lol....
I was a kid when Park Forest started. We called it "Stork Forest", because of all the new families moving in. The mall kind of wrecked the Heights downtown stores.

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#83939 Apr 11, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the history lesson! The name Thompson was in my head but couldn't remember if he was mayor or governor. Blago was Illinois first democrat gov in... a while. We saw how that played out. Quinn is our second... and we see how that's working, also. Hopefully Illinois voters will wise up now come the next election.
There was a governor in recent history named Thompson.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

#83940 Apr 11, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
We went and saw Henry Rollins last night! It was way cool. Dude spoke for 2 hours and 15 minutes straight. I don't talk that much in a week.
He drinks a lot of coffee.

Miami, FL

#83941 Apr 11, 2013
Heh. I'm paranoid. Turns out when my mom said "I can see it" referring to the dogs, she meant in her mind's eye. I forgot that I told her about how I hung out at A's pool on Sunday and my bigger dog went swimming and my little one sat on a chair with us like a little princess. Yeah, enough details to give her a mental picture.

Sorry for falsely accusing you, Facebook!

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#83942 Apr 11, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
My great-grandmother once told me that she'd walked past that garage on her way to church and that the massacre had happened between the time she walked to church and home from church. I believed it when I was seven, but I'm not so sure about it now. <shrug> They lived in Cicero(?) is that near there?
Sorry my whole Chicago experience has been only in the general vicinity of the train station near State Street(? I think?), and O'Hare airport. so I don't really know the geography well.
Yeah, i believe that was Capone's central location....it was a neat thing for a fifth-grader to think about...lol...I feel old, when i think that i remember the opening of O'Hare and connected through there a coupla years ago and thought how undersixed it is now, for all that air traffic.....I still recall flying into Midway, as a kid....

Location hidden

#83943 Apr 11, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
Speaking of old...
I was in my "Vietnam and the 1960s" class yesterday. My teacher, a Vietnam vet (so he's way serious about the subject) is of that generation; came of age in the early 60s. I haven't asked, but a little deductive reasoning, looking at pictures of him then (yeah, he put them in the syllabus) and looking at him now, I would say 70-ish is a pretty good estimate of his age.
Anyway, he plays music from that era every day because there are actually people in the class who have never heard some of the anti-war/protest songs of the day. Very cool. I still don't get how "Society's Child" is about the war, but whatever...maybe it's the overall feel of the 60s...
Anyway, he was playing "War" (http://www.youtube.com/watch? v=01-2pNCZiNkXX) during the mid-class break (3 hour class) and I noticed he was just standing at the podium rocking out.
Intellectually it makes sense, it's music of the time he came of age...his generation, but it's just kind of funny (?) watching this "old" guy (my parents' age) all rocking out.
Then it occurred to me that's probably how my nephews view me rocking out to AC/DC or something.
...I had two older brothers that fought in Vietnam....they survived, but one drank himself to an end, and the other retired a Capt. from Chicago FD, but has had problems with the Agent Orange exposure from there....lost alotta friends from Vietnam....the song that really get's me from that war is, the Youngblood's, Darkness, Darkness....if you ever hear it, you will understand why.....

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#83944 Apr 11, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
He drinks a lot of coffee.
He talked a lot about that. Plus, he's hyperactive.

From my vantage point, he was really starting to look like Steve Martin. It was weird.

Location hidden

#83945 Apr 11, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
The bigger question is "Why did we go to Vietnam and in whose view"? I can remember debating the Vietnam War and talking about it inside and out from around 1968 to about 1978.
That and the Beatles, Manson, sit-ins, etc.
Heard something on a history documentary on Cinemax, i believe....In 1946, Ho Chi Minh attempted to reach our President Truman, at the time. He was begging for some guidence to bring a form of democracy to his people in Vietnam, but was ignored by our government......i just could'nt believe it, when they said it....how we might have dropped the ball, that bad.....

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

#83946 Apr 11, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
He talked a lot about that. Plus, he's hyperactive.
From my vantage point, he was really starting to look like Steve Martin. It was weird.
Yikes! I thought Steve Martin had a neck.
:D

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#83947 Apr 11, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Heard something on a history documentary on Cinemax, i believe....In 1946, Ho Chi Minh attempted to reach our President Truman, at the time. He was begging for some guidence to bring a form of democracy to his people in Vietnam, but was ignored by our government......i just could'nt believe it, when they said it....how we might have dropped the ball, that bad.....
The politics of the day were very different in some ways. Some ways, not so different.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#83948 Apr 11, 2013
From notalwayslearning

(I am a second grade teacher. One of my students, an exceptionally bright young boy, runs up to me at recess with a huge grin.)

Me:“Hey,[student]! What are you playing?”

Student:“Henry VIII!”

Me:“Oh? How do you play Henry VIII?”

Student:*hugs me*“I love you!”

Me:“Oh, sweetie. I love you, t—”

Student:*interrupts*“Just kidding! Off with your head!”

(Best. Game. Ever.)

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#83949 Apr 11, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
My SIL's latest crabby passive-aggressive FB post was something like "Just putting this out there, but if you have inappropriate FB pictures I'm going to start deleting you". So I said "Is (J) posting his nude yoga pictures again?"
I don't think she found it as funny as we did.
I am just amused that anyone thinks that being THEIR fb friend is such a privilege that other people would alter their behavior before risking a defriending.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#83950 Apr 11, 2013
Toj wrote:
In Covina, CA today:
"Police say a man deliberately cut himself with saws inside a Los Angeles-area Home Depot store, causing a gruesome scene in front of customers that left him severely injured.
West Covina police Cpl. Rudy Lopez says the man was in the store's tool section Wednesday when he grabbed several small hand saws and cut his arms to the bone.
Police found the man unconscious in a pool of blood.
An off-duty paramedic had been shopping nearby, and with help from police collected twine and rags from shelves and put makeshift tourniquets on both arms.
The man was in surgery, but his condition is unclear.
Lopez says the man was carrying no identification and has been unable to answer questions, so police don't know his name or why he cut himself."
It says armS. I'm shocked he could cut one arm to the bone and stillhave enough use of that arm to cut the other.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#83951 Apr 11, 2013
Thru my now former job, I got passes to Disney parks last year. Me and a guest. Took the older one to the water par last year. Got same passes again this year. Took younger one today. Older one was in school.

Came home and at dinner, he asked me with no anger in his voice, but complete seriousness, "So where are you taking ME tomorrow?"

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#83952 Apr 11, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
The bigger question is "Why did we go to Vietnam and in whose view"?
Meh. I don't really care why. I care why *he* thinks we did so that I can get my A. Beyond that...<shrug>

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min USAsince1680 1,110,429
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 20 min Brian_G 46,784
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 42 min LRS 178,153
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 56 min JOEL 69,413
Imo state university,(IMSU) Merit admission lis... 1 hr omokaro Collins 1
Abby 9-21-14 1 hr Kuuipo 2
Ask Amy 9-21-14 1 hr PEllen 3
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search