Comments
82,761 - 82,780 of 97,516 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#83905
Apr 11, 2013
 
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
You should have shared with the class here. Where's ours?
I have sugar cookies. It's my 10 year anniversary with my company today.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#83906
Apr 11, 2013
 
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Really???
I've not actually verified this, I just saw it on Reddit yesterday.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#83907
Apr 11, 2013
 
Yeah, it checks out. Will Smith is 44 and James Avery would have been about 42 when FP started.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#83908
Apr 11, 2013
 
Matilda77 wrote:
Yeah, it checks out. Will Smith is 44 and James Avery would have been about 42 when FP started.
And don't you think that Will Smith looks younger today than what James Avery looked like then?

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#83909
Apr 11, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Happy surprise: I forgot about my tax refund! It's nice seeing that in my savings account.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#83910
Apr 11, 2013
 
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> I still have difficulty imagining why anyone would be againest equal marriage rights?.....You spoke of Capone....I grew up in Park Forest and my fifth-grade teacher. Mrs.Kelly.....claimed her uncle owned the garage, where the Valentine's Day Massacre took place...lol....
My great-grandmother once told me that she'd walked past that garage on her way to church and that the massacre had happened between the time she walked to church and home from church. I believed it when I was seven, but I'm not so sure about it now. <shrug> They lived in Cicero(?) is that near there?

Sorry my whole Chicago experience has been only in the general vicinity of the train station near State Street(? I think?), and O'Hare airport. so I don't really know the geography well.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#83911
Apr 11, 2013
 
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
Wanna feel old?
Today, Ralph Macchio is as old as Mr. Miyagi was in Karate Kid
<sigh> Who else remembers him from Eight is Enough?(that was the right show right?)

Disclaimer: Brain not working well this morning. Might need to go back to bed for a while.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#83912
Apr 11, 2013
 
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Will Smith is older than Uncle Phil was when The Fresh Prince started.
Stop it, just stop it!(0_0)

<sigh>

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#83913
Apr 11, 2013
 

Judged:

1

j_m_w wrote:
Happy surprise: I forgot about my tax refund! It's nice seeing that in my savings account.
Why can't they just add a smiley face judging icon? That would be much easier than typing "Yay!", though I am very happy for you :)

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#83914
Apr 11, 2013
 
So last weekend I posted a couple of pictures of my dogs on Facebook. My mom sent me an email referencing these pictures, but we're not Facebook friends. Upon further research, we don't even have any mutual friends (the one we used to have has apparently unfriended me, which is a separate issue). I double checked my security settings and only friends can see stuff, not even friends of friends. I'm baffled and a little nervous about this.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#83915
Apr 11, 2013
 
Speaking of old...

I was in my "Vietnam and the 1960s" class yesterday. My teacher, a Vietnam vet (so he's way serious about the subject) is of that generation; came of age in the early 60s. I haven't asked, but a little deductive reasoning, looking at pictures of him then (yeah, he put them in the syllabus) and looking at him now, I would say 70-ish is a pretty good estimate of his age.

Anyway, he plays music from that era every day because there are actually people in the class who have never heard some of the anti-war/protest songs of the day. Very cool. I still don't get how "Society's Child" is about the war, but whatever...maybe it's the overall feel of the 60s...

Anyway, he was playing "War" ( http://www.youtube.com/watch... ) during the mid-class break (3 hour class) and I noticed he was just standing at the podium rocking out.

Intellectually it makes sense, it's music of the time he came of age...his generation, but it's just kind of funny (?) watching this "old" guy (my parents' age) all rocking out.

Then it occurred to me that's probably how my nephews view me rocking out to AC/DC or something.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#83916
Apr 11, 2013
 
j_m_w wrote:
So last weekend I posted a couple of pictures of my dogs on Facebook. My mom sent me an email referencing these pictures, but we're not Facebook friends. Upon further research, we don't even have any mutual friends (the one we used to have has apparently unfriended me, which is a separate issue). I double checked my security settings and only friends can see stuff, not even friends of friends. I'm baffled and a little nervous about this.
Weird.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#83917
Apr 11, 2013
 
j_m_w wrote:
So last weekend I posted a couple of pictures of my dogs on Facebook. My mom sent me an email referencing these pictures, but we're not Facebook friends. Upon further research, we don't even have any mutual friends (the one we used to have has apparently unfriended me, which is a separate issue). I double checked my security settings and only friends can see stuff, not even friends of friends. I'm baffled and a little nervous about this.
Ask her.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#83918
Apr 11, 2013
 
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
My great-grandmother once told me that she'd walked past that garage on her way to church and that the massacre had happened between the time she walked to church and home from church. I believed it when I was seven, but I'm not so sure about it now. <shrug> They lived in Cicero(?) is that near there?
Sorry my whole Chicago experience has been only in the general vicinity of the train station near State Street(? I think?), and O'Hare airport. so I don't really know the geography well.
No it was just south of teh corner of Clark and Belden. Cicero is pretty far away now and had poorer transportation then.
In the early 1960's my Chicago high school offered horseback riding clases in Lincoln Park. The garage/stable was just across the street from the St Valentines Day garage. It was torn down in the 70's I think. There is a highrise public housing for seniors on the site now. My husband lived about a block away when we met in the early 80's. I haven't walked the area on foot in 30 years. I don't think there is a plaque.

The only person posting here who references being in that neighborhood might be Sam

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#83919
Apr 11, 2013
 
j_m_w wrote:
So last weekend I posted a couple of pictures of my dogs on Facebook. My mom sent me an email referencing these pictures, but we're not Facebook friends. Upon further research, we don't even have any mutual friends (the one we used to have has apparently unfriended me, which is a separate issue). I double checked my security settings and only friends can see stuff, not even friends of friends. I'm baffled and a little nervous about this.
It's not your profile pic or the banner pic across the top, is it?

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#83920
Apr 11, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

My SIL's latest crabby passive-aggressive FB post was something like "Just putting this out there, but if you have inappropriate FB pictures I'm going to start deleting you". So I said "Is (J) posting his nude yoga pictures again?"

I don't think she found it as funny as we did.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#83921
Apr 11, 2013
 
In Covina, CA today:

"Police say a man deliberately cut himself with saws inside a Los Angeles-area Home Depot store, causing a gruesome scene in front of customers that left him severely injured.

West Covina police Cpl. Rudy Lopez says the man was in the store's tool section Wednesday when he grabbed several small hand saws and cut his arms to the bone.

Police found the man unconscious in a pool of blood.

An off-duty paramedic had been shopping nearby, and with help from police collected twine and rags from shelves and put makeshift tourniquets on both arms.

The man was in surgery, but his condition is unclear.

Lopez says the man was carrying no identification and has been unable to answer questions, so police don't know his name or why he cut himself."

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#83922
Apr 11, 2013
 
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not your profile pic or the banner pic across the top, is it?
Nope.

I might have to ask her exactly what she can see. This means admitting that I never responded to her friend request, but I'm concerned.

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#83923
Apr 11, 2013
 
Matilda77 wrote:
My SIL's latest crabby passive-aggressive FB post was something like "Just putting this out there, but if you have inappropriate FB pictures I'm going to start deleting you". So I said "Is (J) posting his nude yoga pictures again?"
I don't think she found it as funny as we did.
*I* find it funny.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#83924
Apr 11, 2013
 
Mimi Seattle wrote:
Speaking of old...
I was in my "Vietnam and the 1960s" class yesterday. My teacher, a Vietnam vet (so he's way serious about the subject) is of that generation; came of age in the early 60s. I haven't asked, but a little deductive reasoning, looking at pictures of him then (yeah, he put them in the syllabus) and looking at him now, I would say 70-ish is a pretty good estimate of his age.
Anyway, he plays music from that era every day because there are actually people in the class who have never heard some of the anti-war/protest songs of the day. Very cool. I still don't get how "Society's Child" is about the war, but whatever...maybe it's the overall feel of the 60s...
Anyway, he was playing "War" ( http://www.youtube.com/watch... ) during the mid-class break (3 hour class) and I noticed he was just standing at the podium rocking out.
Intellectually it makes sense, it's music of the time he came of age...his generation, but it's just kind of funny (?) watching this "old" guy (my parents' age) all rocking out.
Then it occurred to me that's probably how my nephews view me rocking out to AC/DC or something.
That'sme, my generation. I was born in 50 and was in college 67-71. Friends' older brothers were advisors in Nam as early as 1964 to my personal recollection.The embassy was evacuated in 75(?).

The music and the smell of weed and incense will give a flashback to a helluva a lot of us who never left the country.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

42 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min DBWriter 1,079,046
Abby 7-24 4 min RACE 3
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 6 min truth 48,867
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 8 min voice of peace 67,899
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 33 min KrisChristie 1,856
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 52 min Frijoles 68,368
Amy 7-24 1 hr edogxxx 1
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr wojar 174,513
•••

Beach Hazards Statement for Cook County was issued at July 24 at 3:20AM CDT

•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••