|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
No. There hasn't been a REpublican mayor since 1931, more than 20 years before Daley took office.
i almost blew snot all over my computer at the question... thansk for responding as i dig for some Kleenex...

Republicans are endagered species in the city of Chicago...

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

Aisle Sitter wrote:
<quoted text>
i almost blew snot all over my computer at the question... thansk for responding as i dig for some Kleenex...
Closer to extinct except for the brief resurrgence when Harold Washington ran for mayor in 1982.

That's okay Dog. I can't recite local political history outside my home turf either. But ther have been some good elected officials over the years who also happened to be Democrats.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Huge! Cool! Wow!
Also: I never see the point in catch-and-release. I"m either fishing to catch fish to eat, or I'm not fishing at all.
...I understand and appreciate,"catch and release".....It's more about the experience of the fight, the spirit of the opponent and maintaining the species...Really glad when they release the big sharks, as between the movies and the chinese the shark populations have been decimated....We had a local, here in Palm Beach county catch a 1,000 pound, Great White Shark, this week....he released it......hopefully we can maintain the environment of our Oceans.....

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

William Hale Thompson (May 14, 1869 March 19, 1944) was Mayor of Chicago from 1915 to 1923 and again from 1927 to 1931. Known as "Big Bill",[1] Thompson was the last Republican to serve as Mayor of Chicago (as of 2013). He ranks among the most unethical mayors in American history.[2]

Bill "Bull" Thompson was a Republican. He was a puppet of Al Capone. Is that what you are advocating?

I'm talking to you, edog..:}

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

dahgts wrote:
William Hale Thompson (May 14, 1869 March 19, 1944) was Mayor of Chicago from 1915 to 1923 and again from 1927 to 1931. Known as "Big Bill",[1] Thompson was the last Republican to serve as Mayor of Chicago (as of 2013). He ranks among the most unethical mayors in American history.[2]
Bill "Bull" Thompson was a Republican. He was a puppet of Al Capone. Is that what you are advocating?
I'm talking to you, edog..:}
Speaking of Capone, I heard an interesting factoid . Capone was convicted of tax evasion. The who fingered him and testified was somebody O'Hare. His family therefore considered him a traitor.

O'Hare had a kid who was a WWII pilot who wons a number of medals. His name was Butch O'Hare. teh airport is named after him.

So O'Hare of airport renown is directly connected to putting Al Capone away.The son was considered to have redeemed the family's honor

Cool.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Hey Contrats Tonka. Too bad you could not squeeze out a couple weeks off in between.

“ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

RACE wrote:
Hey Contrats Tonka. Too bad you could not squeeze out a couple weeks off in between.
I squeezed a couple days. Today was my last day. Taking the young'un to a theme park tomorrow.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Aisle Sitter wrote:
<quoted text>
i think it would suck to be living somewhere where you're a small minority, politically speaking. I'm int he minority at work, but not in my state.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking of Capone, I heard an interesting factoid . Capone was convicted of tax evasion. The who fingered him and testified was somebody O'Hare. His family therefore considered him a traitor.
O'Hare had a kid who was a WWII pilot who wons a number of medals. His name was Butch O'Hare. teh airport is named after him.
So O'Hare of airport renown is directly connected to putting Al Capone away.The son was considered to have redeemed the family's honor
Cool.
I read that twicet his week!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

snopes has a great analysis of it. essentially, it's more true than not true, but there are some discrepancies, but only on some details, not the major facts. one thing snopes mentioned was the likelihood that the kid died from friendly fire.
Dahgts

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
So O'Hare of airport renown is directly connected to putting Al Capone away.The son was
considered to have redeemed the family's honor
Cool.
I met a guy in CA who had the Capone name. He worked for Culligan. Cracked me up. I like reading about Chicago history. Don't get so bent out of shape about the dirty details either.

I wonder if anyone will bring up that name when I'm in Europe.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

dahgts, are you familiar with capone's history in St. Paul? we gave him and his cohorts safe haven.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't even do it for Christmas, but I'm kinda bitchy that way.
Word.
Union Maid

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
UM! Nice to hear from you. How's it going?
It's been a rough year body wise- am off work with a broken leg- happened at work.Dang side walk jumped up and snagged me. So I sit home in a full leg cast and can't drive. I read,watch tv, play on line and check in on you guys every once in a while. Everyone seems to be as feisty as ever :)

I retire in 7 months. Can't wait. Hope to make it to Chicago.
Dahgts

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
dahgts, are you familiar with capone's history in St. Paul? we gave him and his cohorts safe haven.
I remember something about a place north. Must be MN. Those guys had roadhouses/lodges all over. Must have taken them days to get there in those cars and no xpressways.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
I met a guy in CA who had the Capone name. He worked for Culligan. Cracked me up. I like reading about Chicago history. Don't get so bent out of shape about the dirty details either.
I wonder if anyone will bring up that name when I'm in Europe.
Nah, just Michel Jordan.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember something about a place north. Must be MN. Those guys had roadhouses/lodges all over. Must have taken them days to get there in those cars and no xpressways.
we have the "wabasha street caves" -- they hid their booze and guns in there, apparently. remember geraldo rivera's failed cave thing on TV years ago? That was in st. Paul!

From wiki:

Capone had previously housed his headquarters at the nearby Metropole Hotel, but in July 1928 moved to a suite at the Lexington Hotel. Capone ran his various enterprises from this hotel until his arrest in 1931. A construction company (Sunbow) in the 1980s planned a renovation of the Lexington Hotel and while surveying the building discovered a shooting range and a series of secret tunnels including one hidden behind Capone's medicine cabinet. These tunnels connected taverns and brothels to provide an elaborate potential escape route in case of a police raid. These discoveries led to further investigation of the hotel, notably by researcher Harold Rubin. Rumors said Capone had kept a very secret vault beneath the hotel to hold some of his wealth.

Geraldo Rivera had been fired in 1985 after criticizing ABC for canceling a report on an alleged relationship between John F. Kennedy and Marilyn Monroe. He then hosted the special The Mystery of Al Capone's Vaults which was broadcast live on April 21, 1986. The two hour special (including commercials) was greatly hyped as potentially revealing great riches or bodies on live television. This included the presence of a medical examiner should bodies be found and agents from the Internal Revenue Service to collect any of Capone's money that might be discovered.

When the vault was finally opened, the only things found inside were dirt and several empty bottles including one Rivera claimed was for moonshine bathtub gin. Despite the ending, the special became the most-watched syndicated television special with an estimated audience of 30 million. "Seems like we struck out," Rivera was quoted as saying after the show,[1] though he later wrote of the event in his 1991 autobiography Exposing Myself that "My career was not over, I knew, but had just begun. And all because of a silly, high-concept stunt that failed to deliver on its titillating promise."

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

David letterman and Harrison Ford discussing their support of gay marriage right now.

I love it.

“ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
David letterman and Harrison Ford discussing their support of gay marriage right now.
I love it.
Harrison Ford is great, but looks like a buffoon wearing an ear ring at 70 years old.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/TROA2TAD32...

Abby. Double header. No one posted on teh 8th so here it is

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 82,741 - 82,760 of96,401
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]