Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
Alright peeps. Pretty soon, you won't see as much of me. Starting a new job Monday. Gotta make a good impression. Can't be logged in on Topix all day. Might be able to stop in in the evenings, but I know most of the action usually happens during work hours. Guess I'll drive thru after each day's carnage.
Yay!!! Well, not necessarily yay on you being away from the board, but congrats on the job! I'm so happy for you :)

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

Mister Tonka wrote:
Alright peeps. Pretty soon, you won't see as much of me. Starting a new job Monday. Gotta make a good impression. Can't be logged in on Topix all day. Might be able to stop in in the evenings, but I know most of the action usually happens during work hours. Guess I'll drive thru after each day's carnage.
Congrats, Tonka! Good for you. Never doubted it but always best when you have that job in place. Good luck.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
His math is worse then that. Machine politics in Chicago has been in effect since the beginning of time. Bathhouse John, Hinky Dink and all of that. At least their names were colorful.
As a big Mike Royko fan and reader of many of his columns and books, "Beginning of time" is right.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

Yay Tonka!

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
Congrats on the new job, Tonka! Do stop by and rubberneck in the evenings.
:)

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

Union Maid wrote:
<quoted text>
Glad to hear Mia is doing well. It's difficult to make these decisions some times- sounds as though you made a good one. I am sure Rose will help take care of Mia too.
UM! Nice to hear from you. How's it going?

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

Mister Tonka wrote:
Good for you.That has got to be a load off your mind.

Are your co-workers having equally good luck?

Will they give you any severance?

I will hold all my IT questions til after dinner

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
Yay and boo!

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Good for you.That has got to be a load off your mind.
Are your co-workers having equally good luck?
Will they give you any severance?
I will hold all my IT questions til after dinner
Severance? I didn't get laid off. I jumped ship.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>SHEEET! That ain't no fish. And what's scary is that he caught that from the beach.
Just yankin yer chain, that was pretty impressive (saw it this morning on yahoo.) Sharks usually come to shore for feeding, and usually in the evenings. That's why it's never a good idea to go swimming in the ocean at night! As that young, naked woman in Jaws found out.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

PEllen wrote:
30 years?
Daley I was elected in '54 so its close to 60 years.
Whatever, I haven't been alive that long. And I didn't move to this area til I was around ten. Wasn't the mayor before Daley Sr. a republican?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Whatever, I haven't been alive that long. And I didn't move to this area til I was around ten. Wasn't the mayor before Daley Sr. a republican?
No. There hasn't been a REpublican mayor since 1931, more than 20 years before Daley took office.

“It made sense at the time....”

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
No. There hasn't been a REpublican mayor since 1931, more than 20 years before Daley took office.
i almost blew snot all over my computer at the question... thansk for responding as i dig for some Kleenex...

Republicans are endagered species in the city of Chicago...

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

Aisle Sitter wrote:
<quoted text>
i almost blew snot all over my computer at the question... thansk for responding as i dig for some Kleenex...
Closer to extinct except for the brief resurrgence when Harold Washington ran for mayor in 1982.

That's okay Dog. I can't recite local political history outside my home turf either. But ther have been some good elected officials over the years who also happened to be Democrats.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Huge! Cool! Wow!
Also: I never see the point in catch-and-release. I"m either fishing to catch fish to eat, or I'm not fishing at all.
...I understand and appreciate,"catch and release".....It's more about the experience of the fight, the spirit of the opponent and maintaining the species...Really glad when they release the big sharks, as between the movies and the chinese the shark populations have been decimated....We had a local, here in Palm Beach county catch a 1,000 pound, Great White Shark, this week....he released it......hopefully we can maintain the environment of our Oceans.....

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

William Hale Thompson (May 14, 1869 March 19, 1944) was Mayor of Chicago from 1915 to 1923 and again from 1927 to 1931. Known as "Big Bill",[1] Thompson was the last Republican to serve as Mayor of Chicago (as of 2013). He ranks among the most unethical mayors in American history.[2]

Bill "Bull" Thompson was a Republican. He was a puppet of Al Capone. Is that what you are advocating?

I'm talking to you, edog..:}

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

dahgts wrote:
William Hale Thompson (May 14, 1869 March 19, 1944) was Mayor of Chicago from 1915 to 1923 and again from 1927 to 1931. Known as "Big Bill",[1] Thompson was the last Republican to serve as Mayor of Chicago (as of 2013). He ranks among the most unethical mayors in American history.[2]
Bill "Bull" Thompson was a Republican. He was a puppet of Al Capone. Is that what you are advocating?
I'm talking to you, edog..:}
Speaking of Capone, I heard an interesting factoid . Capone was convicted of tax evasion. The who fingered him and testified was somebody O'Hare. His family therefore considered him a traitor.

O'Hare had a kid who was a WWII pilot who wons a number of medals. His name was Butch O'Hare. teh airport is named after him.

So O'Hare of airport renown is directly connected to putting Al Capone away.The son was considered to have redeemed the family's honor

Cool.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Hey Contrats Tonka. Too bad you could not squeeze out a couple weeks off in between.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

RACE wrote:
Hey Contrats Tonka. Too bad you could not squeeze out a couple weeks off in between.
I squeezed a couple days. Today was my last day. Taking the young'un to a theme park tomorrow.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Aisle Sitter wrote:
<quoted text>
i think it would suck to be living somewhere where you're a small minority, politically speaking. I'm int he minority at work, but not in my state.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min shinningelectr0n 1,096,618
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 14 min LRS 176,882
Word (Dec '08) 34 min RACE 4,637
Fast Adderall,xanny ,MMJ- ADHD 41 min Fast guy 1
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr litesong 46,244
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 2 hr BigRabbit 68,860
Music Artists A to Z (Feb '14) 2 hr Sinatra 291

Search the Chicago Forum:
•••

Flood Warning for Cook County was issued at August 22 at 8:29PM CDT

•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search