“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#83850 Apr 10, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU, daghats, I'm specifically talking about YOU!
Seriously, of all the problems Chicago has, and the party that's been in charge for thirty years, Chicago voters STILL elect the same ol, same ol, then can't figure out why things don't seem to get any better. You're like kids who burn their hand on the stove, THEN KEEP TOUCHING THE STOVE!
Seriously, then use they instead of you. I'm not guilty.

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

#83851 Apr 10, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
30 years?
Daley I was elected in '54 so its close to 60 years.
His math is worse then that. Machine politics in Chicago has been in effect since the beginning of time. Bathhouse John, Hinky Dink and all of that. At least their names were colorful.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#83852 Apr 10, 2013
Alright peeps. Pretty soon, you won't see as much of me. Starting a new job Monday. Gotta make a good impression. Can't be logged in on Topix all day. Might be able to stop in in the evenings, but I know most of the action usually happens during work hours. Guess I'll drive thru after each day's carnage.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#83853 Apr 10, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
Alright peeps. Pretty soon, you won't see as much of me. Starting a new job Monday. Gotta make a good impression. Can't be logged in on Topix all day. Might be able to stop in in the evenings, but I know most of the action usually happens during work hours. Guess I'll drive thru after each day's carnage.
Yay!!! Well, not necessarily yay on you being away from the board, but congrats on the job! I'm so happy for you :)

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#83854 Apr 10, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
Congrats, Tonka! Good for you. Never doubted it but always best when you have that job in place. Good luck.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#83855 Apr 10, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
His math is worse then that. Machine politics in Chicago has been in effect since the beginning of time. Bathhouse John, Hinky Dink and all of that. At least their names were colorful.
As a big Mike Royko fan and reader of many of his columns and books, "Beginning of time" is right.

Location hidden

#83856 Apr 10, 2013
Yay Tonka!

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#83857 Apr 10, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
Congrats on the new job, Tonka! Do stop by and rubberneck in the evenings.
:)

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#83858 Apr 10, 2013
Union Maid wrote:
<quoted text>
Glad to hear Mia is doing well. It's difficult to make these decisions some times- sounds as though you made a good one. I am sure Rose will help take care of Mia too.
UM! Nice to hear from you. How's it going?

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#83859 Apr 10, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
Good for you.That has got to be a load off your mind.

Are your co-workers having equally good luck?

Will they give you any severance?

I will hold all my IT questions til after dinner

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#83860 Apr 10, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
Yay and boo!

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#83861 Apr 10, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Good for you.That has got to be a load off your mind.
Are your co-workers having equally good luck?
Will they give you any severance?
I will hold all my IT questions til after dinner
Severance? I didn't get laid off. I jumped ship.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#83862 Apr 10, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>SHEEET! That ain't no fish. And what's scary is that he caught that from the beach.
Just yankin yer chain, that was pretty impressive (saw it this morning on yahoo.) Sharks usually come to shore for feeding, and usually in the evenings. That's why it's never a good idea to go swimming in the ocean at night! As that young, naked woman in Jaws found out.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#83863 Apr 10, 2013
PEllen wrote:
30 years?
Daley I was elected in '54 so its close to 60 years.
Whatever, I haven't been alive that long. And I didn't move to this area til I was around ten. Wasn't the mayor before Daley Sr. a republican?

Location hidden

#83864 Apr 10, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Whatever, I haven't been alive that long. And I didn't move to this area til I was around ten. Wasn't the mayor before Daley Sr. a republican?
No. There hasn't been a REpublican mayor since 1931, more than 20 years before Daley took office.

“It made sense at the time....”

Schaumburg, IL

#83865 Apr 10, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
No. There hasn't been a REpublican mayor since 1931, more than 20 years before Daley took office.
i almost blew snot all over my computer at the question... thansk for responding as i dig for some Kleenex...

Republicans are endagered species in the city of Chicago...

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#83866 Apr 10, 2013
Aisle Sitter wrote:
<quoted text>
i almost blew snot all over my computer at the question... thansk for responding as i dig for some Kleenex...
Republicans are endagered species in the city of Chicago...
Closer to extinct except for the brief resurrgence when Harold Washington ran for mayor in 1982.

That's okay Dog. I can't recite local political history outside my home turf either. But ther have been some good elected officials over the years who also happened to be Democrats.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#83867 Apr 10, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Huge! Cool! Wow!
Also: I never see the point in catch-and-release. I"m either fishing to catch fish to eat, or I'm not fishing at all.
...I understand and appreciate,"catch and release".....It's more about the experience of the fight, the spirit of the opponent and maintaining the species...Really glad when they release the big sharks, as between the movies and the chinese the shark populations have been decimated....We had a local, here in Palm Beach county catch a 1,000 pound, Great White Shark, this week....he released it......hopefully we can maintain the environment of our Oceans.....

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

#83868 Apr 10, 2013
William Hale Thompson (May 14, 1869 March 19, 1944) was Mayor of Chicago from 1915 to 1923 and again from 1927 to 1931. Known as "Big Bill",[1] Thompson was the last Republican to serve as Mayor of Chicago (as of 2013). He ranks among the most unethical mayors in American history.[2]

Bill "Bull" Thompson was a Republican. He was a puppet of Al Capone. Is that what you are advocating?

I'm talking to you, edog..:}

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#83869 Apr 10, 2013
dahgts wrote:
William Hale Thompson (May 14, 1869 March 19, 1944) was Mayor of Chicago from 1915 to 1923 and again from 1927 to 1931. Known as "Big Bill",[1] Thompson was the last Republican to serve as Mayor of Chicago (as of 2013). He ranks among the most unethical mayors in American history.[2]
Bill "Bull" Thompson was a Republican. He was a puppet of Al Capone. Is that what you are advocating?
I'm talking to you, edog..:}
Speaking of Capone, I heard an interesting factoid . Capone was convicted of tax evasion. The who fingered him and testified was somebody O'Hare. His family therefore considered him a traitor.

O'Hare had a kid who was a WWII pilot who wons a number of medals. His name was Butch O'Hare. teh airport is named after him.

So O'Hare of airport renown is directly connected to putting Al Capone away.The son was considered to have redeemed the family's honor

Cool.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min flack 1,155,905
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 10 min STEFANO COLONNA 71,256
Dec 2014 Dish Network Codes - $50 Off + $150 Vi... 18 min tpm01411 1
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr litesong 49,321
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 4 hr Religionthebiglie 51,286
Chicago Pizza Blows 4 hr Larry 4
Chicago police stop black motorists more, ACLU ... 5 hr reality is a crutch 1
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News