Topix Chitown Regulars

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#83799 Apr 9, 2013
It's too late now and I agree -- I probably should have said "No, close her up, let her come out of the anesthesia, and I'll be by tonight to say goodbye before putting her to sleep." But I was weak. And I really wanted Mia to enjoy her first summer in her new backyard, in a place with tons of windows for her to watch birds and squirrels. I can't sleep at night b/c I'm used to her sleeping on my legs.

I almost hope she doesn't survive the surgery because I think the recovery period will be tougher than the surgery and with its own great risks. And I Don't think it's fair that I"m putting her through that.

But as I said, too late now.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#83800 Apr 9, 2013
Just got a call from the vet! He said the surgery was tough but successful. Lower bowels was where the tumor was, he was able to get the intesting hooked back up, and he said that because it was lower in the GI tract, recovery and healing should be better. He thinks she could go home tomorrow.

I am so tired of crying.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#83801 Apr 9, 2013
Should we have some bets on this total vet bill, including the visits to get her rechecked? I'm going to guess $1500. I told NIck I'm going to be charging him $100 for sex.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#83802 Apr 9, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Just got a call from the vet! He said the surgery was tough but successful. Lower bowels was where the tumor was, he was able to get the intesting hooked back up, and he said that because it was lower in the GI tract, recovery and healing should be better. He thinks she could go home tomorrow.
I am so tired of crying.
OMG so GOOD news then? I am so glad it wasn't as bad as you thought. Still bad, but now maybe she will be able to spend the summer looking at birds?

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#83804 Apr 9, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Just got a call from the vet! He said the surgery was tough but successful. Lower bowels was where the tumor was, he was able to get the intesting hooked back up, and he said that because it was lower in the GI tract, recovery and healing should be better. He thinks she could go home tomorrow.
I am so tired of crying.
I actually thought it might go well and figured the vet was just covering his a$s. Glad to hear things turned out well.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#83805 Apr 9, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Should we have some bets on this total vet bill, including the visits to get her rechecked? I'm going to guess $1500. I told NIck I'm going to be charging him $100 for sex.
And charge extra for the bj's.

Glad to hear that Mia's prognosis is good.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Since: Feb 13

Knoxville, TN

#83806 Apr 9, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Should we have some bets on this total vet bill, including the visits to get her rechecked? I'm going to guess $1500. I told NIck I'm going to be charging him $100 for sex.
So you'll get it paid off in a couple of days?

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#83807 Apr 9, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Vet just called. MIa is open on the operating table right now (he was on speaker phone). Tumor isn't on her kidney, it's in/on her intestines and maybe her spleen. He said it'll be dicey as to whether he'll be able to remove the tumor, save her spleen, and reconnect the portions of the intestine that he has to cut in order to get the tumor. He added that it could be a long, difficult recovery.
I gave him permission to go for it.(What else am I supposed to do?)
This isn't looking good.
Me. I gave you the heart. We have seen you through way too many pet loses here. Hope she comes through. Give her a pet rub from us.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#83808 Apr 9, 2013
Hoping for the best for Mia, Red.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#83809 Apr 9, 2013
RACE wrote:
NO, but I have heard tales. The daughter of a friend lives there. Apparently squirrels are legitimate dinner food.
<quoted text>
I've never had it, but they are fat and plentiful.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#83810 Apr 9, 2013
his daughter tried to get him to try some
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never had it, but they are fat and plentiful.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#83811 Apr 9, 2013
RACE wrote:
his daughter tried to get him to try some
<quoted text>
Eating squirrel brains, apparently a delicacy in southern Ohio/West Va/Kentucky area has been linked to human mad cow diseas, bovine spongiform something or other.

I know a number of weird things

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

#83812 Apr 9, 2013
I think Alton Brown did a bit on squirrel somethign or otehr on one of his "feasting on..." series.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#83813 Apr 9, 2013
visited Mia. remember last year, she ripped out the stitches on the nose that held her feeding tube in place (b/c she kept ripping it out, they sewed it to her). this time, they sewed the feeding tube to her head IN THREE PLACES. Heh. You go, Mia!

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#83814 Apr 9, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
visited Mia. remember last year, she ripped out the stitches on the nose that held her feeding tube in place (b/c she kept ripping it out, they sewed it to her). this time, they sewed the feeding tube to her head IN THREE PLACES. Heh. You go, Mia!
She made it through surgery. Good.See, Topix prayers work. Have they told you what to expect? Will she go back to being a normal cat?

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#83815 Apr 9, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Vet just called. MIa is open on the operating table right now (he was on speaker phone). Tumor isn't on her kidney, it's in/on her intestines and maybe her spleen. He said it'll be dicey as to whether he'll be able to remove the tumor, save her spleen, and reconnect the portions of the intestine that he has to cut in order to get the tumor. He added that it could be a long, difficult recovery.
I gave him permission to go for it.(What else am I supposed to do?)
This isn't looking good.
Oh, Red! Hope everything goes well with Mia.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#83816 Apr 9, 2013
Red, You/re very lucky to have mia. She teaches you how to love selflessly, and you teach her how to believe in things she cant comprehend.'

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#83817 Apr 9, 2013
RACE wrote:
his daughter tried to get him to try some
<quoted text>
I ate squirrel once. I was about four. My great-grandmother's sister-in-law/third cousin (that would be my (for real) Appalachian hillbilly Aunt Vonnie) made it. It didn't faze me at the time, and as I recall it didn't taste gross or anything, but there's no way I would even consider it now. Yuk.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#83819 Apr 10, 2013

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#83820 Apr 10, 2013
So, you Chicagoans elected another democrat to replace Jesse Jackson Jr. You people just can't learn, can you?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min pencils and crayons 1,263,746
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Dr Guru 194,582
News Hogar Crea, regional drug rehab group, ripping ... (Apr '08) 2 hr Sergant of order 161
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 3 hr Gas Woman 70,145
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr Mexico 54,319
News Fatal heat wave 20 years ago changed Chicago's ... 6 hr OLD need 2 die 6
Local Politics Do you approve of Rahm Emanuel as Mayor? (Sep '12) 6 hr NAZIFASCISTSTAR-D... 9
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages