Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#83751 Apr 8, 2013
I also don't know anyone from Jersey who having moved away wanted to go back there.
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#83752 Apr 8, 2013
Jess in NJ wrote:
How many of you people who are badmouthing NJ have ever visited here (flying through Newark airport doesn't count)?
I grew up in NY and have been to NJ countless times. In all fairness, it IS a beautiful state once you get away from the part nearer to NY (where it smells).

But it is so much fun to make fun of. Mostly because of teh smell...:D

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#83753 Apr 8, 2013
Jess in NJ wrote:
How many of you people who are badmouthing NJ have ever visited here (flying through Newark airport doesn't count)?
I've never been but those I know that live/d there seem to like it. In my head, it's a giant mass of suburbs, not unlike Chicagoland, and I don't want to live there, either.:-P. I'm sure it's more diverse than that, though.

Location hidden

#83754 Apr 8, 2013
Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
I grew up in NY and have been to NJ countless times. In all fairness, it IS a beautiful state once you get away from the part nearer to NY (where it smells).
But it is so much fun to make fun of. Mostly because of teh smell...:D
Apart from having to listen to a lot of annoying NYC accents, the "Lake Houses Owned by New Yorkers" area of NJ sounds rather nice to me.

http://media.nj.com/ledgerupdates_impact/phot...

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/12/nj_m...

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#83755 Apr 8, 2013
Jess in NJ wrote:
Other than Springsteen songs, which I detest, the only thing I've really heard about NJ is from a book I read a looong time ago about a boy who grew up near the Pine Barrens. It's called "The Tracker" and he was taught tracking skills from his best friend's native american grandfather. He really made it sound beautiful.

Location hidden

#83756 Apr 8, 2013
I laughed at "ghetto in the woods"

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Since: Feb 13

Cedar Grove, TN

#83757 Apr 8, 2013
Jess in NJ wrote:
Just like most other states, there's good parts and crappy parts.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#83758 Apr 8, 2013
Jess in NJ wrote:
I've been there and thought it was a gorgeous state, totally deserving of its nickname. Seriously.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#83759 Apr 8, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
So Margaret Thatcher died, but sadder to me, Annette Funicello died.
Remember when she was considered the "hotty" of the Mousecateer Club? Seem's she had developed a bit earlier than the other girls...lol...and all those beach blankett movies.....70 seem's kinda young, anymore....

Location hidden

#83760 Apr 8, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Remember when she was considered the "hotty" of the Mousecateer Club? Seem's she had developed a bit earlier than the other girls...lol...and all those beach blankett movies.....70 seem's kinda young, anymore....
Her boobs were pretty huge.

http://todayentertainment.today.com/_news/201...

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#83761 Apr 8, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Her boobs were pretty huge.
http://todayentertainment.today.com/_news/201...
As i can recall, from growing up in the S.Chicago suburbs....those italian girls matured somewhere between 12-14.....lol.....We used to go to alot of football games at the Catholic schools, around town...and it was'nt always for the football......

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#83762 Apr 8, 2013
Jess in NJ wrote:
Aw c'mon Jess. How many other states won't allow people to pump their own gas? ;-)

“bELieve”

Location hidden

#83763 Apr 8, 2013
I get a bit defensive about this state. It is so diverse. South Jersey is full of farms and sections of NJ are the most expensive places in the country to live. The shore (not what you see on Jersey Shore) was a great place to bring your family and will be again. I love that everyplace is so accessible. I can take my kids camping, to the beach or to the city in under 90 minutes.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#83764 Apr 8, 2013
Mimi- this sounds like a great opportunity. They don't accept poeple they don't think will cut it.

How much of your trepidation is based on the fact that your family is currently on the west coast? You have been the stalwart to a lot of people lately and that will be harder from 3000 miles away. Chris' friends will be in Seattle but they will still be there when you come back.

If you do it, will you drive cross country and will you stop in Chicago on the way, please?

“bELieve”

Location hidden

#83765 Apr 8, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Aw c'mon Jess. How many other states won't allow people to pump their own gas? ;-)
Oregon :)

Location hidden

#83766 Apr 8, 2013
It's a tiny baby pig... sleeping... and he's wearing socks and a sweater!

http://grist.org/list/baby-pig-in-a-sweater-a...

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#83767 Apr 8, 2013
How is your kitty doing? Is she home or at the vet?

Location hidden

#83768 Apr 8, 2013
She's at the vet getting IV fluids, to get her in the best position possible for exploratory surgery tomorrow. vet won't say anything about expectations, just figures he has to open her up and see what's there to deal with.

even if it's inoperable, i want her sewn back up and sent home, even if it's just for a few a few days. And if she has weeks/months, even better.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#83769 Apr 8, 2013
Angela: So sorry to hear about Mia. I'm keeping her (and you) in my thoughts.

Everyone else: Thanks for the encouragement. Still waiting to hear from Harvard (no, for real) but yeah, I know I have to do it. You just don't say "no" to a full ride ivy league doctorate. You just don't.

Jess: I knew I could count on you to be a cheerleader for NJ. I've driven through a few times, plus the airport, but only on my way to elsewhere, so I can't say anything about it overall good or bad.

Pelly: Doubt I will drive. Done that a few times (cross country) and I don't think I'm up for it. If time/circumstances allow, I will do the train. It stops in Chitown to change trains.

If I do that I would likely schedule an overnight in Chicago and just catch the other train the next day. If I do that I want to see all my Windy City friends.

It stops in St. Paul also.::looking at Angela::

Again, it's a year away.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#83770 Apr 8, 2013
p.s. You guys (and a couple of teachers) are the only ones I've told so shhh on FB ok?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 2 min Grau 68,505
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 min Rogue Scholar 05 178,083
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 15 min Yeah 1,110,179
Word (Dec '08) 28 min texas pete 4,723
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 56 min Obama Sux 49,876
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 46,738
Song Titles Only (group/artist in parenthesis m... (Mar '10) 2 hr _Zoey_ 7,785
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE