|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
Ok, you guys, I need some thoughts.
I am NOT bragging or anything, but I got accepted to a post-grad program at Princeton. I can defer it for a year, which I will need to do, but I don't know if I should accept it or not.
I mean...it's PRINCETON (!!!) but it would mean a cross-country move and several years in NJ which I never really thought about because I never thought they would accept me.
There are no financial issues, just the idea of moving for several years, oh and also what if I can't "cut" it? FWIW I can do post-grad work here too, but it's "Ivy league" so I think that's worth some serious thought.
CONGRATS!!! That is so phenomenal! I think you should ABSOLUTELY do it! This is a "once in a lifetime" and can relaly mean a lot for your future! Plus, even though it's NJ, it's a new experience and you'd be close to one of the greatest cities on earth (NY) while still having access to beaches, the country, the mountains, etc.

Plus, it's PRINCETON!!!!!!!!!! Woo hoo!!!

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

http://news.yahoo.com/gay-rights-groups-await...

The look on Putin's face is cracking me up!
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Just doing a drive by post, will read stuff at lunch time. Mia is at the vet's, likely looking at surgery today or tomorrow (her stomach is empty enough, she probably would be safe to operate on today). Poor girl. Likely an obstruction. SHe was good Friday night, but since tghen hasn't kept food down, and has puked up water, but she's hydrated, which is a good sign (unlike many/most cats, mine are good about drinking water).
I hope sh'e ok!!!

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Since: Feb 13

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

Mimi Seattle wrote:
I am NOT bragging or anything, but I got accepted to a post-grad program at Princeton. I can defer it for a year, which I will need to do, but I don't know if I should accept it or not.
I mean...it's PRINCETON (!!!) but it would mean a cross-country move and several years in NJ which I never really thought about because I never thought they would accept me.
There are no financial issues, just the idea of moving for several years, oh and also what if I can't "cut" it? FWIW I can do post-grad work here too, but it's "Ivy league" so I think that's worth some serious thought.
The status quo is always easier. Wondering "What if...?" sucks. If you got accepted, you are capable, so screw the "What if I can't...?" stuff. At worst, you go and try it and you just don't like it. At least you found out. And you had a new experience. And you meet some new people. And who the heck knows what else could happen. And isn't that part of the fun?

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Do it, Mimi! That's awesome.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
oh and also what if I can't "cut" it?
You also need to make yourself a stranger to such thoughts. Don't ever doubt yourself.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:

Congrats!!!!

Why wouldn't you go for it? The Princeton area is culture-rich, close to Philly if you need some city life, far enough from the city that you never have to deal with it if you don't want to. NJ has great food, four seasons and people who drop everything to help their neighbors when hurricanes hit.

You are a rock star and you can handle anything that comes your way, if you want to.:)

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Mimi, do it even though it means going to Jersey.

;)

Mia has a mass on her kidney. They'll do exploratory surgery tomorrow and go from there.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

This is the cat who spent a week in the vet hospital last year, and they had to *sew* her feeding tube to the top of her nose b/c she kept pulling it out... and she ripped THAT out and has a scar on her nose from it.

So while she would never, ever claw or bite anybody for any reason (even when I"m doing something she hates, she will use her paw to try to push me away, but the claws do not come out), she is going to give them a run for their (my) money.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

So Margaret Thatcher died, but sadder to me, Annette Funicello died.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
So Margaret Thatcher died, but sadder to me, Annette Funicello died.
My 30-year-old co-worker "Who's Annette Funicello?"

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't blame someone 10 years older than that for not knowing her name.

She was pretty sick for years, so I'm glad her pain/suffering are over.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya, we're all getting old. She was 70. Time flies.

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Ang, so sorry to hear about Mia. I'll be hoping for the best tomorrow.

Mimi, congrats! Do it! You can always bail if you don't like it, but if you never try you'll always wonder "what if."

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Mimi, i'd say go for it... it could be fun, interesting, etc., and CERTAINLY is a good professional opportunity. If it doesn't work out, after you've gven it a serious attempt, you can move back to teh NW. But, i'm betting you'll regret not going more than you'd dread going.

As much of a pain as it was for bro to take care of moving overseas (esp with the young kids), it's an opportunity not to miss. He doestn' regret the professional opportunity he took.

so, please think about it and inspire me to do more in my life!

“bELieve”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Mia has a mass on her kidney. They'll do exploratory surgery tomorrow and go from there.
:( sending lots of positive thoughts her (and your) way

“bELieve”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

How many of you people who are badmouthing NJ have ever visited here (flying through Newark airport doesn't count)?

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

Jess in NJ wrote:
How many of you people who are badmouthing NJ have ever visited here (flying through Newark airport doesn't count)?
Bruce Springsteen told me not to go. In every song he's ever written.

:)

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

baby we were born to ruuuuuunnnnn!

Top 5 Bruce NJ songs.

http://armpitnj.com/2010/03/09/top-5-bruce-so...

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

Jess in NJ wrote:
I wasn't badmouthing. Just said I wouldn't want to live there. I wouldn't want to move back to Illinois or Chicago, either.

I prefer more open spaces where you can really get out in nature. I would love living in the PNW.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 6 min voice of peace 68,337
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 16 min Grey Ghost 1,099,226
HKN Record Label Need UpComing Artist Call_0805... 1 hr Mr Micheal 1
HKN Record Label Need UpComing Artist Call_0805... 2 hr Mr Peter 1
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 3 hr andet1987 1,448
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 3 hr The Rogue 49,393
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr litesong 46,275
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 hr Poppo 177,265
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••