|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2013

Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you actually think he's capable of appreciating that (or any other) nuance?
yes

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2013

Judged:

Hatti_Hollerand wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL :)
You and your "kiddo" have lots of fun this week and make long lasting memories .
I believe she is in her 20's. He seems to have done a decent job at being a long distance single dad .

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2013

Hatti_Hollerand wrote:
<quoted text>
Personally I liked it better when kids had some "Home training " on morals and ethics and integrity and character builders, but I dare say those have been pitched out the door . Where are the parents who should teach them the rights and wrongs. Society has left it up to our schools and media and books to teach sex education to our young people. How does the concept for young girls to respect their bodies and for young men to treat girls with decency and not as objects of self pleasure come across in today's society ? Society has thrown out the basics of love and marriage ... And heeded the lust and live-in as acceptable. So .. We pay the price for our own faults one way or another.
Apropos your comments, there is a situation in Connecticut at the moment where a couple of 17-18 year olds had sex with a couple of 13 year old girls. tThe boys are being prosecuted but the kids in town have a massive sounding social network against the girls about why they are also not being prosecuted. I'll see if I can find a link. There is clearly a generational disconnect about teh responsibility for sexual activity in kids under 16

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2013

Here is teh link on teh CN situation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/05/nyregion/ge...

“Colorful Beyond Words”

Since: May 11

"True Love Never Ends "

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2013

PEllen wrote:
Another sad , sad realization of where young people act out their sexual aggressions. I followed the Steubenville case and trial that the article mentions. Very similar , but those men posted their deeds through a social media and I believe in the trial it was used against them .

Our teens today seem to have an issue of not caring about what is right and wrong. 18 yrs old know it is wrong to have sex with 13 yrs olds. But .... did the 13 yrs old have a true understanding how ... Teasing and highly sexual suggestions play on the minds of others and their fantasies? Again .. No Home Guideance about how to conduct oneself with the opposite sex.

I have teenagers and we talk after movies and TV programs about how the actions of those actors are not true life. Teenagers and their brains are not totally developed and their rationale is still a work in progress.:)

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2013

Hatti_Hollerand wrote:
<quoted text>Another sad , sad realization of where young people act out their sexual aggressions. I followed the Steubenville case and trial that the article mentions. Very similar , but those men posted their deeds through a social media and I believe in the trial it was used against them .
Our teens today seem to have an issue of not caring about what is right and wrong. 18 yrs old know it is wrong to have sex with 13 yrs olds. But .... did the 13 yrs old have a true understanding how ... Teasing and highly sexual suggestions play on the minds of others and their fantasies? Again .. No Home Guideance about how to conduct oneself with the opposite sex.
I have teenagers and we talk after movies and TV programs about how the actions of those actors are not true life. Teenagers and their brains are not totally developed and their rationale is still a work in progress.:)
There is another aspect to look at . The underlying notions of age appropriate sexual behavior and the laws on statutory rape pre-date the hyper-sexualization of young girls and pre-dates the wide dissemination of sexual behavior in the media, as well as the advent of pervasive media like Twitter. The people wh are analyzing and decrying the situation have one perspective. The kids who are tweeting,etc have a different set of social assumptions

The teenagers have one code of conduct that says that all 4 boys and girls should be held responsible. The grownups and the law cast eh girls as immature victims. My daughters are in their early 20's. I find I am more sympathetic to the CN teenagers

“Colorful Beyond Words”

Since: May 11

"True Love Never Ends "

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2013

I have a 12 yr old turning 13 this summer .... Do I think that she fully understands the implications of teasing and flirting with someone 5 yrs older? No .. Even though we have discussed this and sex in general ( assuming she is in the majority of kids her age ) she doesn't have the grasp of the emotions that is going to occur during sex. I know very few who are even close to this level of maturity at that age.

By the same token .. I have an 18 yr old too. By law an adult , who wants to be treated as such.. Wants to make ALL the decisions now for herself. The problem is her rational thinking and critical thinking skills are still in development . BUT.. She knows the right and wrong of such actions , maybe not the total consequences .

Even though I sympathize with the older teenagers .. Their right and wrong is developed .. Just not the thinking through to the consequences. Do I think our laws need changed? Maybe .. Maybe not. I believe that most statutory rape laws have done their job ... The only problem may be in teenager to teenager where "consent" is more the issue.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2013

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/07/sports/ncaa...

Oh Jess,if this is accurate, I am so sorry.

It reads like Penn State without the sex component.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2013

PEllen wrote:
There is clearly a generational disconnect about teh responsibility for sexual activity in kids under 16
Dam straight! When is society gonna start holding young children accountable for their sexual deviance?! Instead we're punishing the poor adults who assault them.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2013

PEllen wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04 /07/sports/ncaabasketball/rutg ers-officials-long-knew-of-coa ch-mike-rices-actions.html?hp
WAAAHHH!

My coach yelled at me and threw a basketball at me!

WAHHHH!

Dam pussification of America....

“bELieve”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

PEllen wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04 /07/sports/ncaabasketball/rutg ers-officials-long-knew-of-coa ch-mike-rices-actions.html?hp

The President has been stressing that the coach has been fired "without cause". He is still collecting hundreds of thousands of dollars from his contract because of that term. There was cause to fire him!!!

I have said many times on FB, esp to my friends who are ardent supporters of Tim Pernetti, that an AD with no authority over his department is not effective and should not be in his position. He may say now that he wanted to fire Mike Rice immediately, but his job was to protect the student athletes and he failed.

“bELieve”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>WAAAHHH!

WAHHHH!

Did you watch the video?

“bELieve”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>WAAAHHH!

WAHHHH!

I'll admit that I didn't play team sports at a high level. My husband did, though. He played basketball for one of the top programs in NJ - the same school that produced Andrew Bynum and Jay Williams. My husband's team made it to the state finals. He has also been an assistant coach at the varsity level.

He was very upset at what he saw on that video. He said the swearing was inappropriate, but the way Rice kicked and shoved those players and launched balls at them was so far over the line that he actually contacted one of our friends who is a faculty member at RU to ask if she signed the petition to fire the AD and President. He NEVER speaks up about our alma mater (won't admit that he went there), but he loves basketball and feels protective as a father and a former player.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

PEllen wrote:
Don't you find that much of the debate can be dismissed by the fact...that 13 year old girls are not capable of any legal consent, if that is really a factor at all?....These main two offenders are 18, and judged solely responsible in our legal system......

“bELieve”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Don't you find that much of the debate can be dismissed by the fact...that 13 year old girls are not capable of any legal consent, if that is really a factor at all?....These main two offenders are 18, and judged solely responsible in our legal system......
But maybe we shouldn't dismiss the debate. The 18 year olds are high school students and if we take context into account, instead of only considering chronology, the students were all peers hanging out in the same social circles. When I was in high school (as a thirteen year old), I hung out with my friends' siblings and we were often at parties with seniors. People didn't ask to see ID before talking to someone. Parents can't let their 13 year olds out all night unchaperoned, then complain when they make adult decisions.

Were these laws written to punish kids who had just passed some arbitrary age and magically acquired some secret wisdom or were they intended to protect minors from predators with years of real world experience or from being forced into marriage before they could understand the implications?

I'm not defending anyone in this particular case. I'm actually pretty disgusted that 18 year olds are having sex with 13 year olds at all. I'm just saying that it is rarely black and white. Story from when I was in HS - I went to a party with one of my friends for her brother who was leaving for boot camp. He and his friends were super hot and really friendly and I'm a bit of a flirt, but I was really innocent and I guess that was pretty obvious (plus our parents raised us really well). I don't think any of those guys remember my name - my nickname was Jailbait for years. They were also super protective of me at parties where there were people from outside of our town - they would get upset if anyone even tries to offer me alcohol (I didn't drink in HS). Real friends look out for each other, they don't take advantage of each other.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Until and unless you change the laws...the point is moot......it's just opinion....

“bELieve”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
Until and unless you change the laws...the point is moot......it's just opinion....
In order to change laws, you start with a discussion of why they should be changed.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
But maybe we shouldn't dismiss the debate. The 18 year olds are high school students and if we take context into account, instead of only considering chronology, the students were all peers hanging out in the same social circles. When I was in high school (as a thirteen year old), I hung out with my friends' siblings and we were often at parties with seniors. People didn't ask to see ID before talking to someone. Parents can't let their 13 year olds out all night unchaperoned, then complain when they make adult decisions.
Were these laws written to punish kids who had just passed some arbitrary age and magically acquired some secret wisdom or were they intended to protect minors from predators with years of real world experience or from being forced into marriage before they could understand the implications?
I'm not defending anyone in this particular case. I'm actually pretty disgusted that 18 year olds are having sex with 13 year olds at all. I'm just saying that it is rarely black and white. Story from when I was in HS - I went to a party with one of my friends for her brother who was leaving for boot camp. He and his friends were super hot and really friendly and I'm a bit of a flirt, but I was really innocent and I guess that was pretty obvious (plus our parents raised us really well). I don't think any of those guys remember my name - my nickname was Jailbait for years. They were also super protective of me at parties where there were people from outside of our town - they would get upset if anyone even tries to offer me alcohol (I didn't drink in HS). Real friends look out for each other, they don't take advantage of each other.
...Sounds like, in a round-about way here....a law making 13 year olds...somewhat fair game....at least to their older peers, is the change in law you might be suggesting? arbitrary age?...really?......

“bELieve”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>...Sounds like, in a round-about way here....a law making 13 year olds...somewhat fair game....at least to their older peers, is the change in law you might be suggesting? arbitrary age?...really?......
There are already states that limit prosecution of statutory rape if there is a certain number of years difference between the participants http://aspe.hhs.gov/hsp/08/sr/statelaws/summa...

And do you think that an 18 year old knows more than someone who is 17 years and 6 months old? They are treated differently by the legal system unless the judge makes an exception.

I am not outright suggesting that we change the laws. I am saying that we should discuss whether they are still appropriate.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

On 18 year olds and them having rational decision making skills...

My nephew at age 18 joined a gang. A real gang not just some punk kids messing around.

The kind of gang you see portrayed in tv shows about gang loyalty behind prison walls, the kind of gang they have "gang task forces" for, a gang with a well known all over the country name.

Yeah, they know what they are doing at 18...just saying.

In the meantime I have located a program that de-gangs kids who want out (he does) and removes gang tats free of charge. Now to get him up here with a place to stay. He can not stay here. That's too much for me.

Oh yeah and first week of school? Meh....reading reading reading and constant demands on my time from my sister. She is a two year old.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE