Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

I made a$20 bet with a friend that the Twins would not have a .500 season.

Go Twins! But they're gonna suck.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't have any more support for your "I think" than I do for mine, except I have common sense on my side. People routinely root for the underdog. Look at March Madness. People love the upsets. The entire country got wrapped up in a tiny school from Florida most had never heard of. As for my feelings about my team, you don't know squat. Who's my team? The Detroit Tigers. And two of my friends, Angie and Christina, talked about exactly this thing last year during the playoffs, about the Tigers going the way of the Yankees. They went out and signed big name free agents and now they're in the top 5 in payroll and it's not as satisfying. I'm actually rooting more for teams like Minnesota and Tampa Bay.
No. Not the end. This is just too funny to leave un-addressed.

Do you really think you and your 2 friends Angie and Christina represent the typical sports fan? Do you really think the typical sports fan switches their allegiance so easily over something so trivial?

As for the underdog, people root for the underdog when they have no dog in the fight. Its a feel good story to keep them interested. Does not mean they would prefer their team to be the underdog. Most people want their team to be the 800 pound gorilla demolishing everything in sight.

Smell ya later. I'm outta here.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Since: Feb 13

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
The end.
How convenient for you to ignore the proviso. No response to the underdog factor? Or do you deny that? No one roots for the underdog? No one appreciates a team doing more with less?

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

What a long winded spew of stool. Oh, and you still cant admit your wrong, I dont care if you counted it for both or not, the month simply does not count at all. You were wrong, admit it and move on, I did.
Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice try, dum dum. The fact is that April has started, and I counted it for both of you, so it's a difference without a distinction. Funny how you want to make a big deal out of whether or not one month is factored in, but when (even based on your incorrect calculations) the difference was 50%, you said it was not a big diff. Double standard much? and how convenient for you that you made your number much smaller than it actually was and her number bigger than it actually was. BOTH mistakes were made to the benefit of your erroneous position. What a coinkydink! Besides, there really is nothing to "admit." You might as well admit that water is wet.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text> I don't consider college basketball players to be children. This statement would hold more water with me at lower levels of education.
<quoted text> You see that as a big difference. I don't.
Lebron James.
Kobe Bryant.
Kevin Garnett.
Dwight Howard.
Jermaine O'Neal
Tracy McGrady
High school, straight to the pros. Were they "children" when they joined the NBA?
Really? No difference? Rutgers basketball players with zero NBA prospects as compared with athletes whose professinal-caliber potential was recognized when they were freshmen in high school, who had all kinds of people watching over them and watching out for them, who went into the NBA with advisors and agents and PR people, and you see no difference. Interesting. Do you really think that if any of them had gone to college, their coach would have even considered for one nanosecond kicking them or throwing a ball at their head or calling them a f'ing fa&&ot?

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

RACE wrote:
What a long winded spew of stool. Oh, and you still cant admit your wrong, I dont care if you counted it for both or not, the month simply does not count at all. You were wrong, admit it and move on, I did.
<quoted text>
Don't tell me you were wrong, I already knew. And including April (it has started, ya know, and I don't know what date of the month you and Toj joined) makes ZERO difference in anything. Tell Toj you were wrong and apologize to her.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

for what?
Have a nice weekend stool.
Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't tell me you were wrong, I already knew. And including April (it has started, ya know, and I don't know what date of the month you and Toj joined) makes ZERO difference in anything. Tell Toj you were wrong and apologize to her.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
No. Not the end. This is just too funny to leave un-addressed.
Do you really think you and your 2 friends Angie and Christina represent the typical sports fan? Do you really think the typical sports fan switches their allegiance so easily over something so trivial?
As for the underdog, people root for the underdog when they have no dog in the fight. Its a feel good story to keep them interested. Does not mean they would prefer their team to be the underdog. Most people want their team to be the 800 pound gorilla demolishing everything in sight.
Smell ya later. I'm outta here.
Everyone loves the 800 lb. gorilla, eh? Then how come in poll after poll of the most hated teams, you see the same names: Yankees, Lakers, USC, Notre Dame, Duke, Cowboys.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

Judged:

RACE wrote:
for what?
Have a nice weekend stool.
<quoted text>
Just for being a dick in general.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, Sam -- I appreciate the support but I am think I'll try hitting the "ignore" button on subject of who is posting how much, what type of job and the incessant childish insults.

They seem to me to be acting like little school boys vying for whatever attention they can get.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

Judged:

I just asked if you had a job, your the one who created the drama about it. Simple yes or no would have ended the discussion yesterday, but noooo, you had to be flippant.
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, Sam -- I appreciate the support but I am think I'll try hitting the "ignore" button on subject of who is posting how much, what type of job and the incessant childish insults.
They seem to me to be acting like little school boys vying for whatever attention they can get.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

In that case you owe me about a thousand apologies.
Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
<quoted text>
Just for being a dick in general.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

Judged:

Wait, let me check my math.....
Yeah, a thousand is about right.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
They are students and his first responsibility should be to protect them. If he disagreed with the lawyers whose main job is to look out for the university's money and avoid lawsuits, then he should have pushed harder with the Board of Governors.
Most people's instincts may be to worry about self preservation first, but most people don't choose jobs in education. If I entrust my child to your care, then you'd better damn well look out for him instead of covering your own ass.
These were not NBA players. They are college students.
That issue came up when I went to college in the late 60's. The obligation of the university to protect and discipline the students was called "in loco parentis", in place of the parents

“bELieve”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>I think every employee's primary responsibility is to the person giving them a paycheck. As long as you are not being directed to break the law, your directives come from above. You're free to discuss issues with your boss when there is disagreement and try to sway him, but in the end, if your boss says do X, you do X.

Jess in NJ wrote, " Most people's instincts may be to worry about self preservation first, but most people don't choose jobs in education."

Do you really consider the job of athletic director to be "in education"? Sure he works for a school. but so does the janitor. He's overseeing the athletic department. Perhaps I don't know enough about the AD's day to day duties, but I would not consider him to be "in education".

Jess in NJ wrote, " If I entrust my child to your care, then you'd better damn well look out for him instead of covering your own ass."

I don't consider college basketball players to be children. This statement would hold more water with me at lower levels of education.

Jess in NJ wrote, "These were not NBA players. They are college students."

You see that as a big difference. I don't.

Lebron James.
Kobe Bryant.
Kevin Garnett.
Dwight Howard.
Jermaine O'Neal
Tracy McGrady

High school, straight to the pros. Were they "children" when they joined the NBA?

And to be clear and so there are no mixed messages, I am not giving Mike Rice a pass. He deserves to be fired. He should never coach again unless Latrell Sprewell is on the team. Just saying that based on Pernetti's letter, I can see HIM having valid reasons not to fire Rice.
Yes, the Athletic Director at a University is in education. The athletes are not professionals, but student athletes. There is a reason that the NCAA has so many rules against boosters and non-University members getting too involved in influencing the student athletes (via gifts, etc). That's because these are still impressionable young men who are in a transitional stage in their lives. There are a few exceptions of people who have gone straight from high school to the NBA, but the ones with successful personal lives are the exceptions. The goal of the University should be to produce the most well-rounded students possible.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

Actually Stool, now that I think about it, you should probably apologize to everyone on the internet.

“Colorful Beyond Words”

Since: May 11

"True Love Never Ends "

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

Judged:

Hey... Hatti here and .. I'm gonna weigh in on the time/post count because .. "I" have both you beat.:)

AND , I have a full time job ... AND I do paperwork for a side home job .. AND I chase after two Teenagers ... LOL !!

Have A great Weekend!!

“Colorful Beyond Words”

Since: May 11

"True Love Never Ends "

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

Judged:

Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, the Athletic Director at a University is in education. The athletes are not professionals, but student athletes. There is a reason that the NCAA has so many rules against boosters and non-University members getting too involved in influencing the student athletes (via gifts, etc). That's because these are still impressionable young men who are in a transitional stage in their lives. There are a few exceptions of people who have gone straight from high school to the NBA, but the ones with successful personal lives are the exceptions. The goal of the University should be to produce the most well-rounded students possible.
Agreed. Nice post!

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

Judged:

RACE wrote:
I just asked if you had a job, your the one who created the drama about it. Simple yes or no would have ended the discussion yesterday, but noooo, you had to be flippant.
<quoted text>
Asking if someone has a job sounds pugnacious and in your face. Asking if you are working has a differrnt connotation, more inquisitive and less aggressive.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

Judged:

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
I think every employee's primary responsibility is to the person giving them a paycheck.
I think it depends. A teacher's primary responsibility is to hizzer students, not the principal/school board. A doctor's primary responsibility is to hizzer patients, not the hospital or clinic.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

36 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min XYZ 1,083,048
One kilometre high and counting (Jul '07) 9 min NITiN 22
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr wojar 175,058
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Subliminal 45,866
Six-year-old girl watches in horror as police '... 1 hr hands on AR 7
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 3 hr raphael 3,841
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 3 hr HughBe 68,430
•••
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE