Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, and not just *a* pair of jeans,*another* pair of jeans. I'd have kept that one under my hat.
Does she have a job during the school year? Even a few hours a week would help her meet other people (adults!) and she could make money for new jeans.

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Speaking of Rutgers, this video is now on ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/912579...

I have always been proud of Rutgers' football program because whether or not we were winning, our coaches were teaching their student athletes about teamwork and respect. The Men's basketball program, though? Kevin Bannon was the coach when I left RU (google him). Watching that video of Mike Rice made me so angry. Didn't we learn anything from the Bobby Knight situation? Why wasn't Rice fired immediately?
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

My neighbor died in a motorcycle accident this weekend. They did a big memorial on the street behind my house. 60+ bikers revving their engines for 2 minutes straight. It was rather touching to see all the people that came out. The guy was pretty young.

You motorcyclists be careful out there!!!

“Licensed to Ill”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>Now that's a let down. I thought you were brilliant.
I didn't say I was brilliant. I said you are an effing idiot. Thanks for demonstrating it once again.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Stina wrote:
My neighbor died in a motorcycle accident this weekend. They did a big memorial on the street behind my house. 60+ bikers revving their engines for 2 minutes straight. It was rather touching to see all the people that came out. The guy was pretty young.
Sorry to hear that.:( I went to a former coworker's daughter's wake services a few years ago, road there on my motorcycle, not knowing her daughter had died on her own motorcycle (going freeway speeds up north, and a deer came out of the ditch and collided with her). There were tons of bikers there. They stick together.

Race, that seems similar to mine. Mine's two-tone purple. I think that's custom, because classic has the footboards, which I would have liked.

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Sure they would. It would become as prevalent as smoking dope.
How can that be if as many folks on here have said, i.e. criminals don't think of the consequences before committing crimes?

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Stina wrote:

Thx stigma. Sorry to hear that.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say I was brilliant. I said you are an effing idiot. Thanks for demonstrating it once again.
It might be that you are right about something.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
IF they did, wouldn't we have a lower crime rate than we do?
I don't think criminals think all that much.
I was in law enforcement once, and i would bet that one great thing, that cop's LOVE....is that most scumbags are thick as a brick, or drunk, or wasted......lol.....

“bELieve”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Stina wrote:

I am so sorry to hear that.

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>It might be that you are right about something.
Dumb

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

Even your comebacks show a lack of intelligence.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

Sublime1 wrote:
You can argue this, but you've yet to present anything other than conclusory statements to back this up. Your argument consists of, it is because I say it is.
And what have you presented? I will not argue whether punishment serves as a deterrent because that is irrelevant to me. I don't believe that it does. That is the extent of my "argument" on the matter. You, however, can't seem to let it go. Are you expecting me to PROVE deterrence isn't a factor? How should I "prove" that exactly? I can point out recidivism rates and the fact there are people being sent to prison for willingly breaking the law. There ya go, there's your "proof."

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>And what have you presented? I will not argue whether punishment serves as a deterrent because that is irrelevant to me. I don't believe that it does. That is the extent of my "argument" on the matter. You, however, can't seem to let it go. Are you expecting me to PROVE deterrence isn't a factor? How should I "prove" that exactly? I can point out recidivism rates and the fact there are people being sent to prison for willingly breaking the law. There ya go, there's your "proof."
I've already proved punishment is a deterrence. Make armed robbery a $100 dollar misdemeanor and watch incidents of armed robbery sky rocket, This wouldn't hold true if no one thought of consequences before committing crimes.

Also, your merely pointing out that punishments don't deter some folks and we still send folks to jail despite having punishments doesn't mean that punishment doesn't deter some folks. You seem to think that unless it stops all crime that this necessarily means it doesn't deter some folks.

“bELieve”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>I've already proved punishment is a deterrence. Make armed robbery a $100 dollar misdemeanor and watch incidents of armed robbery sky rocket, This wouldn't hold true if no one thought of consequences before committing crimes.

Also, your merely pointing out that punishments don't deter some folks and we still send folks to jail despite having punishments doesn't mean that punishment doesn't deter some folks. You seem to think that unless it stops all crime that this necessarily means it doesn't deter some folks.
States without the death penalty have had consistently lower murder rates than dates with the death penalty (stats going back to 1991), so maybe there is a limit to how much punishment is actually a deterrent.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/deterrence-st...

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>States without the death penalty have had consistently lower murder rates than dates with the death penalty (stats going back to 1991), so maybe there is a limit to how much punishment is actually a deterrent.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/deterrence-st...
I'm pretty sure the demographics might have something to do with that considering the 17 states without the death penalty include very low crime states such as Alaska, Hawaii, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, North Dakota, Rhode Island, Vermont, Wisconsin, and Iowa.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

So, youre saying its an apple to watermelon comparison?

Hey, did you ever see that movie "Saving Amos". Just watched on crackle last night, funny as sheit!
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm pretty sure the demographics might have something to do with that considering the 17 states without the death penalty include very low crime states such as Alaska, Hawaii, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, North Dakota, Rhode Island, Vermont, Wisconsin, and Iowa.

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

RACE wrote:
<quoted text>So, youre saying its an apple to watermelon comparison?

Hey, did you ever see that movie "Saving Amos". Just watched on crackle last night, funny as sheit!
Yes. It's not the fact that those states don't have the death penalty that causes them to have lower murder rates ... It's that they don't have a lot of minorities. The murder and incarceration rates for minorities other than Asians is much much higher than for white people:

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2008/rpt/2008-R-0008.ht...

And before folks call me racist, I didn't compile the statistics. I just make folks aware of them.

The point being is that of the 17 states without the death penalty 12 of them are more lily white than my upper thighs in February (were talkin' whiter than Elmer's glue). Of course they are going to have less murders. This has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the death penalty or lack thereof, however. It's demographics based. White folks are 5 times less likely to be incarcerated for crimes than a black person. Hispanics are about 3 times more likely. I would bet my left nut the same basically holds true when you look at incarceration rates for murder.

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Naw, haven't seen that one. I'll try check it out, tho.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. It's not the fact that those states don't have the death penalty that causes them to have lower murder rates ... It's that they don't have a lot of minorities. The murder and incarceration rates for minorities other than Asians is much much higher than for white people:
http://www.cga.ct.gov/2008/rpt/2008-R-0008.ht...
And before folks call me racist, I didn't compile the statistics. I just make folks aware of them.
The point being is that of the 17 states without the death penalty 12 of them are more lily white than my upper thighs in February (were talkin' whiter than Elmer's glue). Of course they are going to have less murders. This has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the death penalty or lack thereof, however. It's demographics based. White folks are 5 times less likely to be incarcerated for crimes than a black person. Hispanics are about 3 times more likely. I would bet my left nut the same basically holds true when you look at incarceration rates for murder.
I think it has to do more with bring poor and urban. I'd like to see crime stats for the white populations in heavily black/Latino areas that also are poor neighborhoods. Socio economics.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

92 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Incognito4Ever 1,079,860
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 6 min truth 48,904
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 17 min TRD 67,940
Ask Amy July 25, 2014 19 min PEllen 1
Abby July 25, 2014 21 min PEllen 1
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 22 min LRS 174,623
Amy 7-24 43 min Mister Tonka 24
Abby 7-24 13 hr Pippa 42
•••