|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Welcome, now when are you gonna start paying me?
My gratitude isn't enough?

How about next time you're up here, I'll buy you a non-Chili's lunch.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think that's a very strong counter-argument. But again, the deterrence factor is irrelevant IMO.
THe only real, legitimate claim I can see to it being a deterrent is that THIS guy won't kill again. But I don't think it really impacts a criminal out there. "Hmmm I shouldn't shoot this guy, I could get the death penalty 15 years after my trial."

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>THe only real, legitimate claim I can see to it being a deterrent is that THIS guy won't kill again. But I don't think it really impacts a criminal out there. "Hmmm I shouldn't shoot this guy, I could get the death penalty 15 years after my trial."
You don't feel that criminals ever factor in the potential consequences that will arise should they get caught? Do you think armed robberies would go up if say instead of heavy jail time we just made folks pay a $300 fine and gave them probation? According to your post above, since criminals never even think of the consequences when committing crimes there should be no increase in such incidents if we lowered the penalty for armed robbery. I don't believe that would be the case. I think armed robberies would sky rocket.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say or imply I was superior to everyone on here. I wasn't even talking about everyone, only you, dum, dum. Do you understand or as is normally the case with you, do I need to explain this five times?
Yes, please please please! I must drink from the well of knowledge that is Sublime!

My goodness, I can't even get dressed in the morning without first reading something posted by Sublime. I live, breath and take in every single thing you type.

You are brilliant. It has been said that people who are intelligent feel the need to put someone down.

Isn't that right?

Show me more brilliance, master!

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
THe only real, legitimate claim I can see to it being a deterrent is that THIS guy won't kill again. But I don't think it really impacts a criminal out there. "Hmmm I shouldn't shoot this guy, I could get the death penalty 15 years after my trial."
I agree. I think we all wish it did act as a deterrent. It might stop a very small portion of certain types of killers, but I believe most murderers aren't thinking they shouldn't do it b/c they'll get the death penalty.

Some might go the extra step in covering it up so they don't get caught, but if someone wants to kill someone, they'll probably do it.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
My counter argument is weak? What's your argument? All you've said is that it's not a proven deterrent. That would be like me pointing out that its not proven to not be a deterrent and resting my case on that observation.
Yes, your counter argument is weak. Good God, man, I thought you were a lawyer.

"Your honor, there's no proof my client killed anyone."
Sub: "yeah, but there's no proof he didn't NOT kill anyone, either. So he is guilty as charged, right?"

Come on, man.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not just talking about folks like him. I'm talking about folks who commit death penalty eligible crimes in general. It's not uncommon for folks to offer to plead guilty in exchange for life in prison.
It's never been proven not to be a deterrent. I suppose one could say the same about jail time. Pretty sure more folks would commit crimes, but for punishment. Pretty sure more folks would commit crimes if say all you got was a slap on the wrist. The opposite holds true in situations where you elevate punishment. Pretty sure in countries where you get death for smuggling in illegal drugs, there are lower smuggling rates than in the US.
It is also retribution. In my opinion that is an equally valid consideration to deterrence.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't feel that criminals ever factor in the potential consequences that will arise should they get caught? Do you think armed robberies would go up if say instead of heavy jail time we just made folks pay a $300 fine and gave them probation? According to your post above, since criminals never even think of the consequences when committing crimes there should be no increase in such incidents if we lowered the penalty for armed robbery. I don't believe that would be the case. I think armed robberies would sky rocket.
There are still murders, there are still armed robberies, there are still all types of crime. I can argue that punishments hardly ever serve as a deterrent.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I do not think that soemone committing a crime considers the consequences in advance other than trying not to get caught. The cool calculation, if any, goes into risk avoidance not potential consequences.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't feel that criminals ever factor in the potential consequences that will arise should they get caught?
IF they did, wouldn't we have a lower crime rate than we do?

I don't think criminals think all that much.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

wELL BULLY FOR YOU!
Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it means that I take at least a minimum amount of time to become reasonably informed about something instead of latching on to the first thing I come across that supports my position. You're really going to criticize me for doing a little research instead of taking a snippet from a Cliffs Notes-like discussion of something and taking it as gospel because it helps me? Can't say I am surprised. Also can't say I am surprised that you actually missed the point of the article. That snippet you are clinging to was actually brought up by the Stanford professors to contest it, as it was their position that the deterrent effect of capital punishment is negligible.
And perhaps you should look up "exponential." Instead of criticizing someone else for reading and investigating, perhaps you should do a little more of it yourself.
For the record, I am in favor of capital punishment in certain circumstances, but I am against laziness and misinformation.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
IF they did, wouldn't we have a lower crime rate than we do?
I don't think criminals think all that much.
Criminals put more thought in how to get away with the crime than they do in considering the possible punishment if they get caught. They all think they are smart enough to not get caught.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> Criminals put more thought in how to get away with the crime than they do in considering the possible punishment if they get caught. They all think they are smart enough to not get caught.
Agreed.

“Incorrupta fides, nudaque veri”

Since: May 07

Vincit qui se vincit

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Dog is often the first one up and posts the columns. His shop is having periodic layoffs. Not good for him but he gets to sleep in and so the rest of us scramble to post Amy/Abby.
It is just a pleasantry, not a cheap shot.
We went through that not long ago, times are tough but getting a little better for some of us.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Since: Feb 13

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Exxxciiiiiteeeeeed!!!! I am picking my motorcycle up from winter storage Thursday. There does not look to be much good riding weather in the near future, but it is going to be 60 on Thursday, so I think a short ride will be in order. And two of my friends (one guy, one girl) are looking at bikes, so more people to ride with this summer. Yippee!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
Exxxciiiiiteeeeeed!!!! I am picking my motorcycle up from winter storage Thursday. There does not look to be much good riding weather in the near future, but it is going to be 60 on Thursday, so I think a short ride will be in order. And two of my friends (one guy, one girl) are looking at bikes, so more people to ride with this summer. Yippee!
That reminds me, time to get my bike out and get it running to SELL IT!

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

You have been saying that for years. what kinda bike and how much you asking.
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
That reminds me, time to get my bike out and get it running to SELL IT!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, please please please! I must drink from the well of knowledge that is Sublime!

My goodness, I can't even get dressed in the morning without first reading something posted by Sublime. I live, breath and take in every single thing you type.

You are brilliant. It has been said that people who are intelligent feel the need to put someone down.

Isn't that right?

Show me more brilliance, master!
^^^ Dumb

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>I agree. I think we all wish it did act as a deterrent. It might stop a very small portion of certain types of killers, but I believe most murderers aren't thinking they shouldn't do it b/c they'll get the death penalty.

Some might go the extra step in covering it up so they don't get caught, but if someone wants to kill someone, they'll probably do it.
I thought you weren't going to share your logic... What happened?

Me thinks you were just waiting for someone else present theirs, so that you could latch onto it.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry, i haven't been on Topix much...as i think it adds so much spam on here...it is actually slowing down my service, quite a bit.....AS for gator, i liked it...wish they would start catching and selling the meat of pythons that they catch in the everglades...they are an invasive species......
I don't get spam so much as the internet feezes when I am here. It happens on my work computer and in a slightly different ay on my home computer. I suspect it is some of the scripts running from the ads. Call it the cost of "free".

Hey, Regs, this is Go Blue Forever. I met Go Blue on a different thread and invited her (?)to stop by.

Let's see.
Redhead with glasses is a Hawkeye transported to MN
Sublime is a Badger transported to SC
I was an Illini and Blue Demon.

Tonka is from FL but I will mess up which is his team.
Sam I Am is omni-team but has connections to get really good tickets.

Some like Squishy and Aisle Sitter don't talk about team affiliation much.

Like I said, lurk or stop by as you please.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

52 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 min Jacques in Ottawa 175,240
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Grey Ghost 1,084,502
Ku Klux Klan recruitment drive raises old fears... 7 min Hurray 1
IL Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Illinois ... (Oct '10) 8 min Nono 6,592
IL Who do you support for Secretary of State in Il... (Oct '10) 11 min Chicagobunny 528
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 12 min Duck Hook 1,880
White house down 25 min Anonymous 1
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE