Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Judged:

Sublime1 wrote:
Holmes isn't an exception.
Yes he is. A good portion of the schmoes kill themselves or are killed by police. Holmes and Laughner are an exception. There are recent stories of those who aren't...

The death penalty hasn't ever been proven to work as a deterrent. But who cares? That's not why I support it.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Will your nephew go with her?
Yes. They are there now. It's like a studio inside of a really big house. They have a bedroom, bathroom, sitting area, and kitchenette. They will help her get into transitional housing then help her get a place more permanently. He will be able to go to the same school even though it's out of the district. Washington has a law that says that in a DV situation the school district has to send a bus for the kid so they don't have to switch schools...continuity.

More importantly: They are not all sprawled out in my front room. Two down, two to go...and one of them (niece's daughter) is leaving within a week or so. Yay!!!

“What's it to ya?”

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Matilda...cool deal. You will love/hate India.:D

Death penalty/life in prison...don't care right now.

First class, already knew everyone. Everyone being in the same major and all, so we all take the same classes. Second class, knew about half the people. Everyone else not in our major...just lookey loos...

Sister texted me 5 mins into the second class to tell me about the room at the shelter and she had to get down there right then to get her spot. Called the husband and got him to take her, but I still had to go get her, take her back to get her stuff and her kid, plus groceries, etc. Paid my niece (gas money) to drive her back. I am SO SO SO tiiirrreeeddd.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Mimi, so glad that things are working out for you, but happier that you have helped put your sister on a path to sanity.

Oh, and now that they are all gone, you have time to take a little vaca in FLL....
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. They are there now. It's like a studio inside of a really big house. They have a bedroom, bathroom, sitting area, and kitchenette. They will help her get into transitional housing then help her get a place more permanently. He will be able to go to the same school even though it's out of the district. Washington has a law that says that in a DV situation the school district has to send a bus for the kid so they don't have to switch schools...continuity.
More importantly: They are not all sprawled out in my front room. Two down, two to go...and one of them (niece's daughter) is leaving within a week or so. Yay!!!

“What's it to ya?”

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

RACE wrote:
Mimi, so glad that things are working out for you, but happier that you have helped put your sister on a path to sanity.
Oh, and now that they are all gone, you have time to take a little vaca in FLL....
<quoted text>
Well it's a start anyway. Vacation? LOLOL Back in school full time. Sitting here in my chair with no one in the room with me...priceless.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Judged:

Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Well it's a start anyway. Vacation? LOLOL Back in school full time. Sitting here in my chair with no one in the room with me...priceless.
Not that I pegged you a Rogers and Hammerstein type, but there is a song in Cinderella: In my own little corner , in my own little chair...

Keeping my fingers crossed this all works out for everyone

“suffers from formicophilia ”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Woo hoo! And that's awesome about him not having to switch schools.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

“Licensed to Ill”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>You believe that someone must write out their whole logical thought for you. Sorry pal. Didn't do that. Said I was looking at it logically not emotionally. Then I said it's too easy to say just to fry him. Two thoughts. The statement about being too easy to say to fry him is not the logical thought process. I did not write the thought process down in my post. Not everyone likes to write dissertations for posts. Nor do I believe I owe you one.
There never was a logical thought process. You are too f'ing dumb to even know what one of those is.

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>Yes he is. A good portion of the schmoes kill themselves or are killed by police. Holmes and Laughner are an exception. There are recent stories of those who aren't...

The death penalty hasn't ever been proven to work as a deterrent. But who cares? That's not why I support it.
I'm not just talking about folks like him. I'm talking about folks who commit death penalty eligible crimes in general. It's not uncommon for folks to offer to plead guilty in exchange for life in prison.

It's never been proven not to be a deterrent. I suppose one could say the same about jail time. Pretty sure more folks would commit crimes, but for punishment. Pretty sure more folks would commit crimes if say all you got was a slap on the wrist. The opposite holds true in situations where you elevate punishment. Pretty sure in countries where you get death for smuggling in illegal drugs, there are lower smuggling rates than in the US.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
There never was a logical thought process. You are too f'ing dumb to even know what one of those is.
Yes, of course. God, I'm so glad you are here to set us all straight, Sub. It's nice to know you are so superior and know everything. Glad there's someone so smart here.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, edog.
Welcome, now when are you gonna start paying me?

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this nastiness really called for?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Chowing down on Gators might be fightin' words in some quarters here.
Glad you found the address.
Sorry, i haven't been on Topix much...as i think it adds so much spam on here...it is actually slowing down my service, quite a bit.....AS for gator, i liked it...wish they would start catching and selling the meat of pythons that they catch in the everglades...they are an invasive species......

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

Sublime1 wrote:
It's never been proven not to be a deterrent.
I don't think that's a very strong counter-argument. But again, the deterrence factor is irrelevant IMO.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Welcome, now when are you gonna start paying me?
Isn't the state paying you? ;)

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, of course. God, I'm so glad you are here to set us all straight, Sub. It's nice to know you are so superior and know everything. Glad there's someone so smart here.
I didn't say or imply I was superior to everyone on here. I wasn't even talking about everyone, only you, dum, dum. Do you understand or as is normally the case with you, do I need to explain this five times?

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think that's a very strong counter-argument. But again, the deterrence factor is irrelevant IMO.
My counter argument is weak? What's your argument? All you've said is that it's not a proven deterrent. That would be like me pointing out that its not proven to not be a deterrent and resting my case on that observation.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Since: Feb 13

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

RACE wrote:
all of which means you spend too much time on the internet.
So, bottom line is whether it saves 18 lives or deters 3 murders, capital punishment saves exponentially correct?
<quoted text>
No, it means that I take at least a minimum amount of time to become reasonably informed about something instead of latching on to the first thing I come across that supports my position. You're really going to criticize me for doing a little research instead of taking a snippet from a Cliffs Notes-like discussion of something and taking it as gospel because it helps me? Can't say I am surprised. Also can't say I am surprised that you actually missed the point of the article. That snippet you are clinging to was actually brought up by the Stanford professors to contest it, as it was their position that the deterrent effect of capital punishment is negligible.

And perhaps you should look up "exponential." Instead of criticizing someone else for reading and investigating, perhaps you should do a little more of it yourself.

For the record, I am in favor of capital punishment in certain circumstances, but I am against laziness and misinformation.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 82,261 - 82,280 of96,392
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

87 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 min LRS 167,750
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min RoxLo 1,037,634
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 5 min JOEL COOL DUDE 65,595
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 24 min litesong 43,183
IL Who do you support for Secretary of State in Il... (Oct '10) 52 min Chicagobunny 510
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 56 min Chicagobunny 3,794
IL Who do you support for Treasurer in Illinois in... (Oct '10) 59 min Chicagobunny 113
Amy 4-24 59 min Kuuipo 34
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance