|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>You believe that someone must write out their whole logical thought for you. Sorry pal. Didn't do that. Said I was looking at it logically not emotionally. Then I said it's too easy to say just to fry him. Two thoughts. The statement about being too easy to say to fry him is not the logical thought process. I did not write the thought process down in my post. Not everyone likes to write dissertations for posts. Nor do I believe I owe you one.
There never was a logical thought process. You are too f'ing dumb to even know what one of those is.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>Yes he is. A good portion of the schmoes kill themselves or are killed by police. Holmes and Laughner are an exception. There are recent stories of those who aren't...

The death penalty hasn't ever been proven to work as a deterrent. But who cares? That's not why I support it.
I'm not just talking about folks like him. I'm talking about folks who commit death penalty eligible crimes in general. It's not uncommon for folks to offer to plead guilty in exchange for life in prison.

It's never been proven not to be a deterrent. I suppose one could say the same about jail time. Pretty sure more folks would commit crimes, but for punishment. Pretty sure more folks would commit crimes if say all you got was a slap on the wrist. The opposite holds true in situations where you elevate punishment. Pretty sure in countries where you get death for smuggling in illegal drugs, there are lower smuggling rates than in the US.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
There never was a logical thought process. You are too f'ing dumb to even know what one of those is.
Yes, of course. God, I'm so glad you are here to set us all straight, Sub. It's nice to know you are so superior and know everything. Glad there's someone so smart here.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, edog.
Welcome, now when are you gonna start paying me?

“reign in blood”

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this nastiness really called for?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Chowing down on Gators might be fightin' words in some quarters here.
Glad you found the address.
Sorry, i haven't been on Topix much...as i think it adds so much spam on here...it is actually slowing down my service, quite a bit.....AS for gator, i liked it...wish they would start catching and selling the meat of pythons that they catch in the everglades...they are an invasive species......

“reign in blood”

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

Sublime1 wrote:
It's never been proven not to be a deterrent.
I don't think that's a very strong counter-argument. But again, the deterrence factor is irrelevant IMO.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't the state paying you? ;)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, of course. God, I'm so glad you are here to set us all straight, Sub. It's nice to know you are so superior and know everything. Glad there's someone so smart here.
I didn't say or imply I was superior to everyone on here. I wasn't even talking about everyone, only you, dum, dum. Do you understand or as is normally the case with you, do I need to explain this five times?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think that's a very strong counter-argument. But again, the deterrence factor is irrelevant IMO.
My counter argument is weak? What's your argument? All you've said is that it's not a proven deterrent. That would be like me pointing out that its not proven to not be a deterrent and resting my case on that observation.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Since: Feb 13

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

RACE wrote:
all of which means you spend too much time on the internet.
So, bottom line is whether it saves 18 lives or deters 3 murders, capital punishment saves exponentially correct?
<quoted text>
No, it means that I take at least a minimum amount of time to become reasonably informed about something instead of latching on to the first thing I come across that supports my position. You're really going to criticize me for doing a little research instead of taking a snippet from a Cliffs Notes-like discussion of something and taking it as gospel because it helps me? Can't say I am surprised. Also can't say I am surprised that you actually missed the point of the article. That snippet you are clinging to was actually brought up by the Stanford professors to contest it, as it was their position that the deterrent effect of capital punishment is negligible.

And perhaps you should look up "exponential." Instead of criticizing someone else for reading and investigating, perhaps you should do a little more of it yourself.

For the record, I am in favor of capital punishment in certain circumstances, but I am against laziness and misinformation.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
My gratitude isn't enough?

How about next time you're up here, I'll buy you a non-Chili's lunch.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think that's a very strong counter-argument. But again, the deterrence factor is irrelevant IMO.
THe only real, legitimate claim I can see to it being a deterrent is that THIS guy won't kill again. But I don't think it really impacts a criminal out there. "Hmmm I shouldn't shoot this guy, I could get the death penalty 15 years after my trial."

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>THe only real, legitimate claim I can see to it being a deterrent is that THIS guy won't kill again. But I don't think it really impacts a criminal out there. "Hmmm I shouldn't shoot this guy, I could get the death penalty 15 years after my trial."
You don't feel that criminals ever factor in the potential consequences that will arise should they get caught? Do you think armed robberies would go up if say instead of heavy jail time we just made folks pay a $300 fine and gave them probation? According to your post above, since criminals never even think of the consequences when committing crimes there should be no increase in such incidents if we lowered the penalty for armed robbery. I don't believe that would be the case. I think armed robberies would sky rocket.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say or imply I was superior to everyone on here. I wasn't even talking about everyone, only you, dum, dum. Do you understand or as is normally the case with you, do I need to explain this five times?
Yes, please please please! I must drink from the well of knowledge that is Sublime!

My goodness, I can't even get dressed in the morning without first reading something posted by Sublime. I live, breath and take in every single thing you type.

You are brilliant. It has been said that people who are intelligent feel the need to put someone down.

Isn't that right?

Show me more brilliance, master!

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
THe only real, legitimate claim I can see to it being a deterrent is that THIS guy won't kill again. But I don't think it really impacts a criminal out there. "Hmmm I shouldn't shoot this guy, I could get the death penalty 15 years after my trial."
I agree. I think we all wish it did act as a deterrent. It might stop a very small portion of certain types of killers, but I believe most murderers aren't thinking they shouldn't do it b/c they'll get the death penalty.

Some might go the extra step in covering it up so they don't get caught, but if someone wants to kill someone, they'll probably do it.

“reign in blood”

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
My counter argument is weak? What's your argument? All you've said is that it's not a proven deterrent. That would be like me pointing out that its not proven to not be a deterrent and resting my case on that observation.
Yes, your counter argument is weak. Good God, man, I thought you were a lawyer.

"Your honor, there's no proof my client killed anyone."
Sub: "yeah, but there's no proof he didn't NOT kill anyone, either. So he is guilty as charged, right?"

Come on, man.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not just talking about folks like him. I'm talking about folks who commit death penalty eligible crimes in general. It's not uncommon for folks to offer to plead guilty in exchange for life in prison.
It's never been proven not to be a deterrent. I suppose one could say the same about jail time. Pretty sure more folks would commit crimes, but for punishment. Pretty sure more folks would commit crimes if say all you got was a slap on the wrist. The opposite holds true in situations where you elevate punishment. Pretty sure in countries where you get death for smuggling in illegal drugs, there are lower smuggling rates than in the US.
It is also retribution. In my opinion that is an equally valid consideration to deterrence.

“reign in blood”

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't feel that criminals ever factor in the potential consequences that will arise should they get caught? Do you think armed robberies would go up if say instead of heavy jail time we just made folks pay a $300 fine and gave them probation? According to your post above, since criminals never even think of the consequences when committing crimes there should be no increase in such incidents if we lowered the penalty for armed robbery. I don't believe that would be the case. I think armed robberies would sky rocket.
There are still murders, there are still armed robberies, there are still all types of crime. I can argue that punishments hardly ever serve as a deterrent.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min MIGHT BE THE DEVIL 1,096,838
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 23 min Dale 176,925
Amy 8-23-14 52 min Pippa 11
Abby 8-23-14 1 hr Pippa 6
10 shot, including 3-year-old, across city 1 hr reality is a crutch 1
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 2 hr texas pete 4,644
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 2 hr whatitis 3,914

Search the Chicago Forum:
•••

Flood Warning for Cook County was issued at August 23 at 2:26PM CDT

•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE