Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

I feel for the killer the day he may be "well" and realizes what horrible things he did.

This week here locally we had the beginnings of the trial of the dad who killed all three of his young daughters to spite his wife. He even called her when he was done killing them to gloat about it. He's pleading guilty but mentally ill.

I am with Toj on the death penalty, for different reasons, and even I want to push this asshole off a cliff.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

I see the usage of the death penalty as just another disconnect between all the noise I hear about the US being a christian nation and how we really behave.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>My only argument with the death penalty is the possibility that we fry the wrong person. Barring that, I have zero problem with "legal murder". I'm down with an eye for an eye.
And I can understand that.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I feel for the killer the day he may be "well" and realizes what horrible things he did.
This week here locally we had the beginnings of the trial of the dad who killed all three of his young daughters to spite his wife. He even called her when he was done killing them to gloat about it. He's pleading guilty but mentally ill.
I am with Toj on the death penalty, for different reasons, and even I want to push this asshole off a cliff.
Oh, I would want to do all sorts of cruel and degrading things to THAT man.

“suffers from formicophilia ”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
<quoted text>
I know you don't like to let things like information and facts get in the way of what you say, but look at post #83323 for some basic math.
Oh, I thought those were rounded guestimation figures and not an actual mathematical calculation. My bad. And even with your "example," people have to spend most of their adult lives in prison in order for it to "break even." So, it's still basically cheaper to house them for life than to execute them.

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
•Using conservative rough projections, the Commission estimates the annual costs of the present (death penalty) system to be $137 million per year.
•The cost of a system which imposes a maximum penalty of lifetime incarceration instead of the death penalty would be $11.5 million per year.
According to Sam, your estimates are WAY off.

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I would want to do all sorts of cruel and degrading things to THAT man.
But the idea of strapping him to a gurney and peacefully and painlessly ending his worthless existence makes you queasy?

I don't understand you people. It's wrong to execute someone but it's perfectly fine to let them spend the rest of their lives in prison, especially if there's a slim chance they might be innocent...

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Sister got a spot in the DV shelter!!!!!! No details yet...and a bunch of stuff to do still, but she will be getting the hellup out of m y house today!!!!!

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
Sister got a spot in the DV shelter!!!!!! No details yet...and a bunch of stuff to do still, but she will be getting the hellup out of m y house today!!!!!
Will your nephew go with her?

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
But the idea of strapping him to a gurney and peacefully and painlessly ending his worthless existence makes you queasy?
I don't understand you people. It's wrong to execute someone but it's perfectly fine to let them spend the rest of their lives in prison, especially if there's a slim chance they might be innocent...
Wanting and doing are two different things.

I'd like to get millions of dollars from a bank. But would I? No. I'm not a thief and I don't take what's not mine. I don't really see a huge settlement nor a bequest from anyone in the near future either.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>My only argument with the death penalty is the possibility that we fry the wrong person. Barring that, I have zero problem with "legal murder". I'm down with an eye for an eye.
Same here.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
Now that's something to celebrate! Good for you!

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

http://deathpenalty.procon.org/view.answers.p...
Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did that come from? I am genuinely interested in reading up on that.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Hey! I went to Madison Wis...Twice!
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Very cool!
The most exciting place I'll ever get sent to for my work is our farm in Hanover Park.
So have fun for me too.
:D

“Licensed to Ill”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
So I just saw on CNN.com that the prosecutor in the James Holmes (Colorado shooter) case rejected a plea deal and says the State will move ahead and seek the death penalty. I have no problem with that since there is absolutely no question James Holmes did it. I am just on the fence as to which punishment is better. The death penalty is final and brings closure for the families and victims, and apparently Mr. Homes doesn't want to die, so I say off with his head. On the other hand, I think being in jail for the reset of your life would be perpetual hell for someone like him and I think that would be a more fitting trouble given all the grief he has caused. But then I don't want all that money and resources spent on him. In the end I'd prly vote for the death penalty, but I am on the fence.

Thoughts?
If Holmes subjectively felt spending life in jail was a worse fate than the death penalty, he wouldn't have offered to plea guilty in exchange for the death penalty being taken off the table...

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Judged:

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>I may or may not be a bleeding heart but I look at it more logically, not emotionally...

It's just too easy to say "fry him".
That's some really compelling logic ... about as compelling as this:

http://youtu.be/lj3iNxZ8Dww

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Since: Feb 13

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

RACE wrote:
http://deathpenalty.procon.org /view.answers.php?questionID=0 01017
<quoted text>
So, a funny thing. Your link leads to an article on the death penalty on ProCon.org . Under "Cons" there is a reference to that statement from an article by a couple of Stanford professors. So, I went to the Stanford article, and it turns out they were referring to an article by Hashem Dezbakhsh in which he asserted that capital punishment has a significant deterrent effect and each execution saves 18 innocent lives. Funny thing is that the Stanford professors were arguing that capital punishment has little, if any, deterrent effect. The link to the HD article led to another link that addressed numerous different studies that ranged from "saves 18 lives" to "deters 3 other murders." The discussion pertained to the deterrent effect, and the range of the discussions, including that by the Stanford professors, was "deters 18" to "virtually no deterrent effect."

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Judged:

all of which means you spend too much time on the internet.
So, bottom line is whether it saves 18 lives or deters 3 murders, capital punishment saves exponentially correct?
Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
<quoted text>
So, a funny thing. Your link leads to an article on the death penalty on ProCon.org . Under "Cons" there is a reference to that statement from an article by a couple of Stanford professors. So, I went to the Stanford article, and it turns out they were referring to an article by Hashem Dezbakhsh in which he asserted that capital punishment has a significant deterrent effect and each execution saves 18 innocent lives. Funny thing is that the Stanford professors were arguing that capital punishment has little, if any, deterrent effect. The link to the HD article led to another link that addressed numerous different studies that ranged from "saves 18 lives" to "deters 3 other murders." The discussion pertained to the deterrent effect, and the range of the discussions, including that by the Stanford professors, was "deters 18" to "virtually no deterrent effect."

“Licensed to Ill”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Judged:

Holmes isn't an exception. A good portion of these schmoes try to plea guilty to avoid the death penalty. They don't want to die. Based on this, I don't believe it's logical to conclude it doesn't serve a deterrent effect.

Psst, Toj ^^^^ that's logic.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Sublime1 wrote:
Holmes isn't an exception. A good portion of these schmoes try to plea guilty to avoid the death penalty. They don't want to die. Based on this, I don't believe it's logical to conclude it doesn't serve a deterrent effect.
Psst, Toj ^^^^ that's logic.
You believe that someone must write out their whole logical thought for you. Sorry pal. Didn't do that. Said I was looking at it logically not emotionally. Then I said it's too easy to say just to fry him. Two thoughts. The statement about being too easy to say to fry him is not the logical thought process. I did not write the thought process down in my post. Not everyone likes to write dissertations for posts. Nor do I believe I owe you one.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 82,241 - 82,260 of96,137
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

49 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
The Official Ashley Tisdale Chat Room (Sep '07) 4 min Justin Bieber 1,837
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min fetch almighty 1,034,209
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 10 min Chicagobunny 47,070
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 11 min Hatti_Hollerand 229
IL Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Illinois ... (Oct '10) 12 min jimtownhounddogsniffing 6,537
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 20 min Poppo 167,625
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 54 min Mothra 43,007
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]