“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#83363 Apr 1, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
Sister got a spot in the DV shelter!!!!!! No details yet...and a bunch of stuff to do still, but she will be getting the hellup out of m y house today!!!!!
Will your nephew go with her?

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#83364 Apr 1, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
But the idea of strapping him to a gurney and peacefully and painlessly ending his worthless existence makes you queasy?
I don't understand you people. It's wrong to execute someone but it's perfectly fine to let them spend the rest of their lives in prison, especially if there's a slim chance they might be innocent...
Wanting and doing are two different things.

I'd like to get millions of dollars from a bank. But would I? No. I'm not a thief and I don't take what's not mine. I don't really see a huge settlement nor a bequest from anyone in the near future either.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#83365 Apr 1, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>My only argument with the death penalty is the possibility that we fry the wrong person. Barring that, I have zero problem with "legal murder". I'm down with an eye for an eye.
Same here.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

#83366 Apr 1, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
Sister got a spot in the DV shelter!!!!!! No details yet...and a bunch of stuff to do still, but she will be getting the hellup out of m y house today!!!!!
Now that's something to celebrate! Good for you!

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#83367 Apr 1, 2013
http://deathpenalty.procon.org/view.answers.p...
Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did that come from? I am genuinely interested in reading up on that.

Neda, stay with me!

#83368 Apr 1, 2013
Hey! I went to Madison Wis...Twice!
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Very cool!
The most exciting place I'll ever get sent to for my work is our farm in Hanover Park.
So have fun for me too.
:D

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#83369 Apr 1, 2013
Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
So I just saw on CNN.com that the prosecutor in the James Holmes (Colorado shooter) case rejected a plea deal and says the State will move ahead and seek the death penalty. I have no problem with that since there is absolutely no question James Holmes did it. I am just on the fence as to which punishment is better. The death penalty is final and brings closure for the families and victims, and apparently Mr. Homes doesn't want to die, so I say off with his head. On the other hand, I think being in jail for the reset of your life would be perpetual hell for someone like him and I think that would be a more fitting trouble given all the grief he has caused. But then I don't want all that money and resources spent on him. In the end I'd prly vote for the death penalty, but I am on the fence.

Thoughts?
If Holmes subjectively felt spending life in jail was a worse fate than the death penalty, he wouldn't have offered to plea guilty in exchange for the death penalty being taken off the table...

Location hidden

#83370 Apr 1, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>I may or may not be a bleeding heart but I look at it more logically, not emotionally...

It's just too easy to say "fry him".
That's some really compelling logic ... about as compelling as this:

http://youtu.be/lj3iNxZ8Dww

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Since: Feb 13

Cedar Grove, TN

#83371 Apr 1, 2013
RACE wrote:
http://deathpenalty.procon.org /view.answers.php?questionID=0 01017
<quoted text>
So, a funny thing. Your link leads to an article on the death penalty on ProCon.org . Under "Cons" there is a reference to that statement from an article by a couple of Stanford professors. So, I went to the Stanford article, and it turns out they were referring to an article by Hashem Dezbakhsh in which he asserted that capital punishment has a significant deterrent effect and each execution saves 18 innocent lives. Funny thing is that the Stanford professors were arguing that capital punishment has little, if any, deterrent effect. The link to the HD article led to another link that addressed numerous different studies that ranged from "saves 18 lives" to "deters 3 other murders." The discussion pertained to the deterrent effect, and the range of the discussions, including that by the Stanford professors, was "deters 18" to "virtually no deterrent effect."

Neda, stay with me!

#83372 Apr 1, 2013
all of which means you spend too much time on the internet.
So, bottom line is whether it saves 18 lives or deters 3 murders, capital punishment saves exponentially correct?
Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
<quoted text>
So, a funny thing. Your link leads to an article on the death penalty on ProCon.org . Under "Cons" there is a reference to that statement from an article by a couple of Stanford professors. So, I went to the Stanford article, and it turns out they were referring to an article by Hashem Dezbakhsh in which he asserted that capital punishment has a significant deterrent effect and each execution saves 18 innocent lives. Funny thing is that the Stanford professors were arguing that capital punishment has little, if any, deterrent effect. The link to the HD article led to another link that addressed numerous different studies that ranged from "saves 18 lives" to "deters 3 other murders." The discussion pertained to the deterrent effect, and the range of the discussions, including that by the Stanford professors, was "deters 18" to "virtually no deterrent effect."

Location hidden

#83373 Apr 1, 2013
Holmes isn't an exception. A good portion of these schmoes try to plea guilty to avoid the death penalty. They don't want to die. Based on this, I don't believe it's logical to conclude it doesn't serve a deterrent effect.

Psst, Toj ^^^^ that's logic.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

#83374 Apr 1, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
Holmes isn't an exception. A good portion of these schmoes try to plea guilty to avoid the death penalty. They don't want to die. Based on this, I don't believe it's logical to conclude it doesn't serve a deterrent effect.
Psst, Toj ^^^^ that's logic.
You believe that someone must write out their whole logical thought for you. Sorry pal. Didn't do that. Said I was looking at it logically not emotionally. Then I said it's too easy to say just to fry him. Two thoughts. The statement about being too easy to say to fry him is not the logical thought process. I did not write the thought process down in my post. Not everyone likes to write dissertations for posts. Nor do I believe I owe you one.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#83375 Apr 1, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
Holmes isn't an exception.
Yes he is. A good portion of the schmoes kill themselves or are killed by police. Holmes and Laughner are an exception. There are recent stories of those who aren't...

The death penalty hasn't ever been proven to work as a deterrent. But who cares? That's not why I support it.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#83376 Apr 1, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Will your nephew go with her?
Yes. They are there now. It's like a studio inside of a really big house. They have a bedroom, bathroom, sitting area, and kitchenette. They will help her get into transitional housing then help her get a place more permanently. He will be able to go to the same school even though it's out of the district. Washington has a law that says that in a DV situation the school district has to send a bus for the kid so they don't have to switch schools...continuity.

More importantly: They are not all sprawled out in my front room. Two down, two to go...and one of them (niece's daughter) is leaving within a week or so. Yay!!!

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#83377 Apr 1, 2013
Matilda...cool deal. You will love/hate India.:D

Death penalty/life in prison...don't care right now.

First class, already knew everyone. Everyone being in the same major and all, so we all take the same classes. Second class, knew about half the people. Everyone else not in our major...just lookey loos...

Sister texted me 5 mins into the second class to tell me about the room at the shelter and she had to get down there right then to get her spot. Called the husband and got him to take her, but I still had to go get her, take her back to get her stuff and her kid, plus groceries, etc. Paid my niece (gas money) to drive her back. I am SO SO SO tiiirrreeeddd.

Neda, stay with me!

#83378 Apr 1, 2013
Mimi, so glad that things are working out for you, but happier that you have helped put your sister on a path to sanity.

Oh, and now that they are all gone, you have time to take a little vaca in FLL....
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. They are there now. It's like a studio inside of a really big house. They have a bedroom, bathroom, sitting area, and kitchenette. They will help her get into transitional housing then help her get a place more permanently. He will be able to go to the same school even though it's out of the district. Washington has a law that says that in a DV situation the school district has to send a bus for the kid so they don't have to switch schools...continuity.
More importantly: They are not all sprawled out in my front room. Two down, two to go...and one of them (niece's daughter) is leaving within a week or so. Yay!!!

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#83379 Apr 1, 2013
RACE wrote:
Mimi, so glad that things are working out for you, but happier that you have helped put your sister on a path to sanity.
Oh, and now that they are all gone, you have time to take a little vaca in FLL....
<quoted text>
Well it's a start anyway. Vacation? LOLOL Back in school full time. Sitting here in my chair with no one in the room with me...priceless.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#83380 Apr 1, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Well it's a start anyway. Vacation? LOLOL Back in school full time. Sitting here in my chair with no one in the room with me...priceless.
Not that I pegged you a Rogers and Hammerstein type, but there is a song in Cinderella: In my own little corner , in my own little chair...

Keeping my fingers crossed this all works out for everyone

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#83381 Apr 2, 2013

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#83382 Apr 2, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Woo hoo! And that's awesome about him not having to switch schools.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 12 min TheIndependentMaj... 1,115,630
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 17 min in the end 50,065
Abby 10-2 20 min edogxxx 1
Amy 10-2 21 min edogxxx 1
Rauner, Quinn clash on Obamacare expansion ahea... 55 min Le Jimbo 1
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Earthling-1 47,074
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Rogue Scholar 05 178,618
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]