“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#83401 Apr 2, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not just talking about folks like him. I'm talking about folks who commit death penalty eligible crimes in general. It's not uncommon for folks to offer to plead guilty in exchange for life in prison.
It's never been proven not to be a deterrent. I suppose one could say the same about jail time. Pretty sure more folks would commit crimes, but for punishment. Pretty sure more folks would commit crimes if say all you got was a slap on the wrist. The opposite holds true in situations where you elevate punishment. Pretty sure in countries where you get death for smuggling in illegal drugs, there are lower smuggling rates than in the US.
It is also retribution. In my opinion that is an equally valid consideration to deterrence.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

United States

#83402 Apr 2, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't feel that criminals ever factor in the potential consequences that will arise should they get caught? Do you think armed robberies would go up if say instead of heavy jail time we just made folks pay a $300 fine and gave them probation? According to your post above, since criminals never even think of the consequences when committing crimes there should be no increase in such incidents if we lowered the penalty for armed robbery. I don't believe that would be the case. I think armed robberies would sky rocket.
There are still murders, there are still armed robberies, there are still all types of crime. I can argue that punishments hardly ever serve as a deterrent.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#83403 Apr 2, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't feel that criminals ever factor in the potential consequences that will arise should they get caught? Do you think armed robberies would go up if say instead of heavy jail time we just made folks pay a $300 fine and gave them probation? According to your post above, since criminals never even think of the consequences when committing crimes there should be no increase in such incidents if we lowered the penalty for armed robbery. I don't believe that would be the case. I think armed robberies would sky rocket.
No, I do not think that soemone committing a crime considers the consequences in advance other than trying not to get caught. The cool calculation, if any, goes into risk avoidance not potential consequences.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#83404 Apr 2, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't feel that criminals ever factor in the potential consequences that will arise should they get caught?
IF they did, wouldn't we have a lower crime rate than we do?

I don't think criminals think all that much.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#83405 Apr 2, 2013
wELL BULLY FOR YOU!
Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it means that I take at least a minimum amount of time to become reasonably informed about something instead of latching on to the first thing I come across that supports my position. You're really going to criticize me for doing a little research instead of taking a snippet from a Cliffs Notes-like discussion of something and taking it as gospel because it helps me? Can't say I am surprised. Also can't say I am surprised that you actually missed the point of the article. That snippet you are clinging to was actually brought up by the Stanford professors to contest it, as it was their position that the deterrent effect of capital punishment is negligible.
And perhaps you should look up "exponential." Instead of criticizing someone else for reading and investigating, perhaps you should do a little more of it yourself.
For the record, I am in favor of capital punishment in certain circumstances, but I am against laziness and misinformation.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#83406 Apr 2, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
IF they did, wouldn't we have a lower crime rate than we do?
I don't think criminals think all that much.
Criminals put more thought in how to get away with the crime than they do in considering the possible punishment if they get caught. They all think they are smart enough to not get caught.

Location hidden

#83407 Apr 2, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> Criminals put more thought in how to get away with the crime than they do in considering the possible punishment if they get caught. They all think they are smart enough to not get caught.
Agreed.

“Incorrupta fides, nudaque veri”

Since: May 07

Vincit qui se vincit

#83408 Apr 2, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Dog is often the first one up and posts the columns. His shop is having periodic layoffs. Not good for him but he gets to sleep in and so the rest of us scramble to post Amy/Abby.
It is just a pleasantry, not a cheap shot.
We went through that not long ago, times are tough but getting a little better for some of us.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Since: Feb 13

Knoxville, TN

#83409 Apr 2, 2013
Exxxciiiiiteeeeeed!!!! I am picking my motorcycle up from winter storage Thursday. There does not look to be much good riding weather in the near future, but it is going to be 60 on Thursday, so I think a short ride will be in order. And two of my friends (one guy, one girl) are looking at bikes, so more people to ride with this summer. Yippee!

Location hidden

#83410 Apr 2, 2013
Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
Exxxciiiiiteeeeeed!!!! I am picking my motorcycle up from winter storage Thursday. There does not look to be much good riding weather in the near future, but it is going to be 60 on Thursday, so I think a short ride will be in order. And two of my friends (one guy, one girl) are looking at bikes, so more people to ride with this summer. Yippee!
That reminds me, time to get my bike out and get it running to SELL IT!

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#83411 Apr 2, 2013
You have been saying that for years. what kinda bike and how much you asking.
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
That reminds me, time to get my bike out and get it running to SELL IT!

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#83412 Apr 2, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, please please please! I must drink from the well of knowledge that is Sublime!

My goodness, I can't even get dressed in the morning without first reading something posted by Sublime. I live, breath and take in every single thing you type.

You are brilliant. It has been said that people who are intelligent feel the need to put someone down.

Isn't that right?

Show me more brilliance, master!
^^^ Dumb

Location hidden

#83413 Apr 2, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>I agree. I think we all wish it did act as a deterrent. It might stop a very small portion of certain types of killers, but I believe most murderers aren't thinking they shouldn't do it b/c they'll get the death penalty.

Some might go the extra step in covering it up so they don't get caught, but if someone wants to kill someone, they'll probably do it.
I thought you weren't going to share your logic... What happened?

Me thinks you were just waiting for someone else present theirs, so that you could latch onto it.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#83414 Apr 2, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry, i haven't been on Topix much...as i think it adds so much spam on here...it is actually slowing down my service, quite a bit.....AS for gator, i liked it...wish they would start catching and selling the meat of pythons that they catch in the everglades...they are an invasive species......
I don't get spam so much as the internet feezes when I am here. It happens on my work computer and in a slightly different ay on my home computer. I suspect it is some of the scripts running from the ads. Call it the cost of "free".

Hey, Regs, this is Go Blue Forever. I met Go Blue on a different thread and invited her (?)to stop by.

Let's see.
Redhead with glasses is a Hawkeye transported to MN
Sublime is a Badger transported to SC
I was an Illini and Blue Demon.

Tonka is from FL but I will mess up which is his team.
Sam I Am is omni-team but has connections to get really good tickets.

Some like Squishy and Aisle Sitter don't talk about team affiliation much.

Like I said, lurk or stop by as you please.

Location hidden

#83415 Apr 2, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, your counter argument is weak. Good God, man, I thought you were a lawyer.

"Your honor, there's no proof my client killed anyone."
Sub: "yeah, but there's no proof he didn't NOT kill anyone, either. So he is guilty as charged, right?"

Come on, man.
You are the one who used that argument. I merely used the same one against you to demonstrate how weak it was for you to do so. I'm glad you have seen the light and agree.

Location hidden

#83416 Apr 2, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>It is also retribution. In my opinion that is an equally valid consideration to deterrence.
I agree.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#83417 Apr 2, 2013
Ricky F wrote:
<quoted text>We went through that not long ago, times are tough but getting a little better for some of us.
Hope that is contagious.

Are you in the Midwest?

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#83418 Apr 2, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
^^^ Dumb
Magnificent! I was right! I KNEW you could spell it! I thought it might have been a simple typographical error in your prior post.

You continue to amaze me.

Location hidden

#83419 Apr 2, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>There are still murders, there are still armed robberies, there are still all types of crime. I can argue that punishments hardly ever serve as a deterrent.
You can argue this, but you've yet to present anything other than conclusory statements to back this up. Your argument consists of, it is because I say it is.

Location hidden

#83420 Apr 2, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>No, I do not think that soemone committing a crime considers the consequences in advance other than trying not to get caught. The cool calculation, if any, goes into risk avoidance not potential consequences.
So if we just made armed robbery a $100 fine misdemeanor, you don't think the incidents of armed robbery would increase at all?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min red and right 1,207,082
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 10 min Jacques Ottawa 185,922
Abby 3-30-15 22 min tiredofit 10
Amy 3-30-15 44 min Sublime1 30
News Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr CDC 51,885
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr zion 52,366
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 2 hr Sam 71,701
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]