Since: Feb 13

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

So I just saw on CNN.com that the prosecutor in the James Holmes (Colorado shooter) case rejected a plea deal and says the State will move ahead and seek the death penalty. I have no problem with that since there is absolutely no question James Holmes did it. I am just on the fence as to which punishment is better. The death penalty is final and brings closure for the families and victims, and apparently Mr. Homes doesn't want to die, so I say off with his head. On the other hand, I think being in jail for the reset of your life would be perpetual hell for someone like him and I think that would be a more fitting trouble given all the grief he has caused. But then I don't want all that money and resources spent on him. In the end I'd prly vote for the death penalty, but I am on the fence.

Thoughts?

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Judged:

Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
So I just saw on CNN.com that the prosecutor in the James Holmes (Colorado shooter) case rejected a plea deal and says the State will move ahead and seek the death penalty. I have no problem with that since there is absolutely no question James Holmes did it. I am just on the fence as to which punishment is better. The death penalty is final and brings closure for the families and victims, and apparently Mr. Homes doesn't want to die, so I say off with his head. On the other hand, I think being in jail for the reset of your life would be perpetual hell for someone like him and I think that would be a more fitting trouble given all the grief he has caused. But then I don't want all that money and resources spent on him. In the end I'd prly vote for the death penalty, but I am on the fence.
Thoughts?
Hard to say, pretty much for the reasons you said. It's not like there's any danger of executing an innocent man, but the mandatory appeals process with the death penalty sucks up so much time and money. I'd probably be fine with him rotting in jail, too.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
Thoughts?
He did it. I'm not in favor of spending money on him either. At the same time, I don't think any State should put to death anyone as that is legalized murder. I do think rotting in jail for the rest of your life is a tougher sentence than a humane death.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Judged:

Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
Thoughts?
Death penalty cases have lots of automatic appeals. Holmes sounds like he could bring a pretty strong insanity defense.

I wonder if anyone has don a cost comparison of the amount neded to keep a healthy 25 year old in jail fr life as compared to teh costs of trial, appeal and frying him.

“suffers from formicophilia ”

Since: May 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Judged:

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Death penalty cases have lots of automatic appeals. Holmes sounds like he could bring a pretty strong insanity defense.
I wonder if anyone has don a cost comparison of the amount neded to keep a healthy 25 year old in jail fr life as compared to teh costs of trial, appeal and frying him.
Yes. It's actually cheaper to keep someone in prison for life than to execute them.

“suffers from formicophilia ”

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
He did it. I'm not in favor of spending money on him either. At the same time, I don't think any State should put to death anyone as that is legalized murder. I do think rotting in jail for the rest of your life is a tougher sentence than a humane death.
Bleeding heart. He wasn't too concerned about the humane treatment of his victims.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

I think he's so mentally ill, all bets are off.

Meanwhile, I'm FB "Friends" with Caleb, the comedian who is still in the hospital and recovering (head wounds/brain injury). His wife was 8+ months pregnant when he was shot.

So I won't worry too much about the crazed shooter, because the innocent victims will suffer the rest of their lives.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

•Using conservative rough projections, the Commission estimates the annual costs of the present (death penalty) system to be $137 million per year.

•The cost of a system which imposes a maximum penalty of lifetime incarceration instead of the death penalty would be $11.5 million per year.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
It looks like it costs about $70,000/year to keep someone in maximum security. It also looks like it costs about $1-2.5MM to prosecute a death penalty case. This one would likely be toward the upper end due to the insanity defense issues. Say $2MM. Mr. Holmes is 25. If he lives to 54 (a real question mark given the nature of his crime and the likely willigness of another inmate to be the guy who offed the Colorado killer, plus Mr. Holmes does not seem to be the kind of person who would be able to play nice with the other prisners), then it's break even.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. It's actually cheaper to keep someone in prison for life than to execute them.
Completely incomplete answer. It depends on the length of their incarceration.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Judged:

Each person put to death on death row prevents another 18 murders from happening. multiply that 18 by all their associated costs, and it is really cheaper to off the 1st murderer
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

OMG, OMG, OMG...It's been confirmed. I leave for Chennai, India on June 7. Excited would be an understatement.

“It made sense at the time....”

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
OMG, OMG, OMG...It's been confirmed. I leave for Chennai, India on June 7. Excited would be an understatement.
Cool for you!(sez teh one who has less than no interest in going there)

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
•Using conservative rough projections, the Commission estimates the annual costs of the present (death penalty) system to be $137 million per year.
•The cost of a system which imposes a maximum penalty of lifetime incarceration instead of the death penalty would be $11.5 million per year.
What level was studied- a state? the US? Just wondering...

I mostly want this case done for the families so that they aren't subjected to teh details at appeal after appeal.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
Will you be able to tack on any perosnal tourist time while you ar there?

That sounds really neat. If I am lucky my job lets me go to Quincy. I am envious. What does J have to say?

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Judged:

Matilda77 wrote:
Very cool!

The most exciting place I'll ever get sent to for my work is our farm in Hanover Park.

So have fun for me too.
:D

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

RACE wrote:
Each person put to death on death row prevents another 18 murders from happening. <quoted text>
Where did that come from? I am genuinely interested in reading up on that.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Huntingdon, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
Awesome.

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Will you be able to tack on any perosnal tourist time while you ar there?
That sounds really neat. If I am lucky my job lets me go to Quincy. I am envious. What does J have to say?
That's about as far as i've gotten... oh, wait, no... i went to Peoria and Normal. As nice as they are, wehn driving down with a complete neurotic head case, having some free time, dinner, then a client meeting the next morning and the drive back, when they decided taht tehre was no longer budget for me to tag along (not more than $150 in expenses for me), i wasn't taht sad to be left behind.

had i "known" mathilda at the time, my opinion of these road trips might have changed.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Will you be able to tack on any perosnal tourist time while you ar there?
Yeah, on the weekends there will be chances for excursions. He's not super excited, I don't think. But my SIL will be around then, off and on (camp job again), so he'll only have to deal with one of us, heh.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 82,201 - 82,220 of96,073
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

35 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min No Surprize 1,033,346
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 9 min JOEL COOL DUDE 65,077
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 25 min Roxie Darling 4,027
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr DDDD-25 42,962
Abby 4-17 1 hr ScarletandOlive 32
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr Learn to Read 167,507
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 7 hr Dusty Mangina 47,034
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]