Comments
82,181 - 82,200 of 97,948 Comments Last updated Sunday

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Since: Feb 13

Knoxville, TN

#83323 Apr 1, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Death penalty cases have lots of automatic appeals. Holmes sounds like he could bring a pretty strong insanity defense.
I wonder if anyone has don a cost comparison of the amount neded to keep a healthy 25 year old in jail fr life as compared to teh costs of trial, appeal and frying him.
It looks like it costs about $70,000/year to keep someone in maximum security. It also looks like it costs about $1-2.5MM to prosecute a death penalty case. This one would likely be toward the upper end due to the insanity defense issues. Say $2MM. Mr. Holmes is 25. If he lives to 54 (a real question mark given the nature of his crime and the likely willigness of another inmate to be the guy who offed the Colorado killer, plus Mr. Holmes does not seem to be the kind of person who would be able to play nice with the other prisners), then it's break even.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Knoxville, TN

#83324 Apr 1, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. It's actually cheaper to keep someone in prison for life than to execute them.
Completely incomplete answer. It depends on the length of their incarceration.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#83325 Apr 1, 2013
Each person put to death on death row prevents another 18 murders from happening. multiply that 18 by all their associated costs, and it is really cheaper to off the 1st murderer
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. It's actually cheaper to keep someone in prison for life than to execute them.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#83326 Apr 1, 2013
OMG, OMG, OMG...It's been confirmed. I leave for Chennai, India on June 7. Excited would be an understatement.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Schaumburg, IL

#83327 Apr 1, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
OMG, OMG, OMG...It's been confirmed. I leave for Chennai, India on June 7. Excited would be an understatement.
Cool for you!(sez teh one who has less than no interest in going there)

Schaumburg, IL

#83328 Apr 1, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
•Using conservative rough projections, the Commission estimates the annual costs of the present (death penalty) system to be $137 million per year.
•The cost of a system which imposes a maximum penalty of lifetime incarceration instead of the death penalty would be $11.5 million per year.
What level was studied- a state? the US? Just wondering...

I mostly want this case done for the families so that they aren't subjected to teh details at appeal after appeal.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#83329 Apr 1, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
Will you be able to tack on any perosnal tourist time while you ar there?

That sounds really neat. If I am lucky my job lets me go to Quincy. I am envious. What does J have to say?

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

#83330 Apr 1, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
Very cool!

The most exciting place I'll ever get sent to for my work is our farm in Hanover Park.

So have fun for me too.
:D

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Knoxville, TN

#83331 Apr 1, 2013
RACE wrote:
Each person put to death on death row prevents another 18 murders from happening. <quoted text>
Where did that come from? I am genuinely interested in reading up on that.

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Knoxville, TN

#83332 Apr 1, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
Awesome.

Schaumburg, IL

#83333 Apr 1, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Will you be able to tack on any perosnal tourist time while you ar there?
That sounds really neat. If I am lucky my job lets me go to Quincy. I am envious. What does J have to say?
That's about as far as i've gotten... oh, wait, no... i went to Peoria and Normal. As nice as they are, wehn driving down with a complete neurotic head case, having some free time, dinner, then a client meeting the next morning and the drive back, when they decided taht tehre was no longer budget for me to tag along (not more than $150 in expenses for me), i wasn't taht sad to be left behind.

had i "known" mathilda at the time, my opinion of these road trips might have changed.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#83334 Apr 1, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Will you be able to tack on any perosnal tourist time while you ar there?
Yeah, on the weekends there will be chances for excursions. He's not super excited, I don't think. But my SIL will be around then, off and on (camp job again), so he'll only have to deal with one of us, heh.

“reign in blood”

United States

#83335 Apr 1, 2013
Sam I Am GEAM wrote:
<quoted text>
Completely incomplete answer. It depends on the length of their incarceration.
I don't think so. The longer you keep someone in prison, the cost goes up, sure, but it still doesn't even compare to the cost of executing them.

“reign in blood”

United States

#83336 Apr 1, 2013
RACE wrote:
Each person put to death on death row prevents another 18 murders from happening. multiply that 18 by all their associated costs, and it is really cheaper to off the 1st murderer
<quoted text>
I've never heard of such a thing.

“reign in blood”

United States

#83337 Apr 1, 2013
Aisle Sitter wrote:
<quoted text>
Cool for you!(sez teh one who has less than no interest in going there)
Same here. I have no interest in going to crowded, smelly India especially in the summer.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#83338 Apr 1, 2013
Ha, tried to type "Yolo" and auto correct on my phone tried to correct it to "tool". Texting J about this:

http://theclicker.today.com/_news/2013/04/01/...

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#83339 Apr 1, 2013
Aisle Sitter wrote:
<quoted text>
What level was studied- a state? the US? Just wondering...
I mostly want this case done for the families so that they aren't subjected to teh details at appeal after appeal.
Oh, sorry I didn't cite the source or give you more info! I was sorta in a rush to get outta work.

Those figures are based on the state of California only.

Location hidden

#83340 Apr 1, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
VERY cool! Who else is going from your job? Does your husband get to join you for a mini trip?

Location hidden

#83341 Apr 1, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
Ha, tried to type "Yolo" and auto correct on my phone tried to correct it to "tool". Texting J about this:
http://theclicker.today.com/_news/2013/04/01/...
Sounds like he was with his uncle in the truck when they both died? Drug OD?

“FD&S is no way to be.”

Knoxville, TN

#83342 Apr 1, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think so. The longer you keep someone in prison, the cost goes up, sure, but it still doesn't even compare to the cost of executing them.
I know you don't like to let things like information and facts get in the way of what you say, but look at post #83323 for some basic math.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min THE DEVIL 1,101,332
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 7 min litesong 46,375
Michelle Obama, f/k/a MICHAEL LAVAUGHN ROBINSON 18 min FXX 3
Are ISIS and Obama in Cahoots??? 21 min My Flowers 5
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 56 min Whiny1 4,683
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr I Hate You 49,487
Song Titles Only (group/artist in parenthesis m... (Mar '10) 1 hr _Zoey_ 7,753
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr LRS 177,520
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••