Des Plaines, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Judged:

spent six hours iwth my parents helping clear out my grandmothers house... ok, not the whole thing, but the garage and a couple of the less-packed rooms. the mounds of trash and recycling are overwhelming, adn we still have the basement and a couple of doozy rooms to go. just glad that i didn't (a) swear out loud or (b) go off on them. i was so ready to tell my mother off that it's ok to put the little fencing (like the kind that just keeps stuff upright) on the curb for the "professional recyclers" instead of waiting to see what the estate sale guy has to say.

found a couple of gems hidden amongst the crap, including photos of my gramma at 13 months, a nicely chubby little kid... given that she looked like a Holocaust victim at the end, there is more than a little irony there.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Aisle Sitter wrote:
spent six hours iwth my parents helping clear out my grandmothers house... ok, not the whole thing, but the garage and a couple of the less-packed rooms. the mounds of trash and recycling are overwhelming, adn we still have the basement and a couple of doozy rooms to go. just glad that i didn't (a) swear out loud or (b) go off on them. i was so ready to tell my mother off that it's ok to put the little fencing (like the kind that just keeps stuff upright) on the curb for the "professional recyclers" instead of waiting to see what the estate sale guy has to say.
found a couple of gems hidden amongst the crap, including photos of my gramma at 13 months, a nicely chubby little kid... given that she looked like a Holocaust victim at the end, there is more than a little irony there.
I have a photo of my grandmother at about age 5 sitting in a little cart being drawn by a goat. My sister has one of our other grandmother flapper era, standing next to a largish car posed with one foot on the running board, rather Bonnie and Clyde-ish. Nan must have been 17 or 18. Those are the best things to find.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Got the car detailed. Got a mani/pedi/massage. Took my sister and kid to Walmart: Shirts, shoes, sox, pants, underwear, hoodies all around.$500.00 poorer. <sigh>

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
Got the car detailed. Got a mani/pedi/massage. Took my sister and kid to Walmart: Shirts, shoes, sox, pants, underwear, hoodies all around.$500.00 poorer. <sigh>
You are a good woman, Mimi. You are doing the right thing.

“What's it to ya?”

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a good woman, Mimi. You are doing the right thing.
Thanks. To be honest I'm kinda resenting that I'm putting off my new laptop because of this, but not like a "I resent you Patty" kind of way. More like I'm just annoyed that something came up again which makes it necessary to put it off again...if that makes sense.

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Happy Easter!

“bELieve”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

j_m_w wrote:
Happy Easter!
You too! Happy Easter too all who celebrate! For those who don't, hope you enjoy the beautiful weather :)

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

The girls are hunting their Easter eggs right now.

Happy Easter!

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

j_m_w wrote:
Happy Easter!
So we went to xhurch last night. First time in over 10 years. Wife will not go to a Catholic church. So we went to this huge non-denominational christian church. And i mean huge. Kids were seperatwd according to age group and had their own services. They had fun. We went to ours. Wife enjoyed it.

Me? I felt like i was in the audience of a televangelist show. First lots of music. Then when the pastor finally showed up on stage, he went straight to the solicitaion for money and the importance of tithing. Thwn he went away. More music. Then he came back and started talking about how the muslims needed Jesus...and raising money to send misions to the mid-east. Kinda turned me off. Like how welcoming would he be if muslim missions came to tell him he needed allah & mohammed? Let people worship who they want.

Wife agreed with that, but still liked the "showmanship" of the rest of the service. I'm not looking for a show. I'd rather go to boring cathlic mass

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

I totally agree. Money first, salvation later.

This is not sarcasm.
Do you think they also mentioned money at the kids' service? Just curious.
The family that prays together, stays together.
Said by a lapsed Catholic.

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

One of the things I love and respect about the pastor of my church is that when it comes time for the collection, he makes a point of saying that if you're a first-time visitor, not comfortable, or don't feel able, DON'T GIVE. He truly preaches "God loves a cheerful giver" and does not want to coerce or pressure anyone.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

j_m_w wrote:
One of the things I love and respect about the pastor of my church is that when it comes time for the collection, he makes a point of saying that if you're a first-time visitor, not comfortable, or don't feel able, DON'T GIVE. He truly preaches "God loves a cheerful giver" and does not want to coerce or pressure anyone.
Oh, I don't think he was pressuring anyone. It just felt like that was his main reason for getting up there. It just that the flow of the service was
Music
Ask fot money
Music
Ask for money for those muslims who need jesus
Music
Sermon
Music.

When 2 of the 3 times you come up, you're asking for money, it does not feel like church that I am familiar with. Feels like Jim and Tammy. The church that i grew up in certainly had the weekly offering, but it was just another part of the service and I never felt any extra attention was drawn to that part.

“Licensed to Ill”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, I don't think he was pressuring anyone. It just felt like that was his main reason for getting up there. It just that the flow of the service was
Music
Ask fot money
Music
Ask for money for those muslims who need jesus
Music
Sermon
Music.

When 2 of the 3 times you come up, you're asking for money, it does not feel like church that I am familiar with. Feels like Jim and Tammy. The church that i grew up in certainly had the weekly offering, but it was just another part of the service and I never felt any extra attention was drawn to that part.
Every church other than Lutheran, I've found to be more like a televangelist sermon. Being raised Catholic, i much prefer the structure of a Catholic sermon too. Nothing is ever even said about money. They just pass the collections around, which I think is better than even speaking of it. There's also not much room for the Priest to go off on weird tangents as his little spiel is almost always focused on the two readings from the bible.

Went to my wife's aunt's church for a christening and the woman preacher was going on and on about the congregation politics and disputes and I was rolling my eyes that folks would voluntarily attend such a sophomoric joke in a weekly basis.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks. To be honest I'm kinda resenting that I'm putting off my new laptop because of this, but not like a "I resent you Patty" kind of way. More like I'm just annoyed that something came up again which makes it necessary to put it off again...if that makes sense.
Better Patty and nephew than big medical bills, replacing the car, legal fees etc.

Laptops netbooks and tablets will still be there when they are settled.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

I was at my dad's a few years back and went to the church I grew up in for Easter. They were totally taking advantage of the Chreasters (yanno, Christians who only show up at Christmas and Easter). Was really disappointing. Didn't even talk much about the Easter story. Was all about trying to recruit people back.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

They better 'cause their all going to hell!
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
For those who don't, hope you enjoy the beautiful weather :)

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

have not made it to church yet. was running around and only not got home. The last store that I knew of is discontinuing Motts Garden Blend veggi juice. Publix,albertsons,walmart and now Winn dixie have all stopped selling it. Total bummer.

But now have beer and boat gas, so I will head out on my boat to My church, and thank my maker for all of my blessings.

My, thats a lot of My's isnt it?

“bELieve”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

RACE wrote:
<quoted text>They better 'cause their all going to hell!
I not passing judgement today, even in jest. I am halfway through the worst Easter I have ever experienced, I have no more tears to cry and this day cannot end soon enough.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

RACE wrote:
They better 'cause their all going to hell!
<quoted text>
Easter bunny roasting on your BBQ?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

86 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Grey Ghost 1,084,031
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 9 min LRS 175,153
IL Who do you support for Secretary of State in Il... (Oct '10) 9 min fassdle 527
IL Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Illinois ... (Oct '10) 11 min fassdle 6,591
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 12 min SpaceBlues 45,905
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 12 min fassdle 3,852
1 dead 7 injured in Chicago shootings on Tuesday 30 min reality is a crutch 1
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••